HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Potential Alexei Kovalev/CBJ Tryout Agreement

Old
11-08-2012, 11:26 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
Potential Alexei Kovalev/CBJ Tryout Agreement

Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch pointed out this interesting nugget in a story yesterday:

Quote:
There were hints this summer that NHL great Alexei Kovalev was contemplating a tryout agreement with the Blue Jackets, and The Dispatch has confirmed the two parties talked before the lockout began on Sept. 15. That seems highly unlikely now, as do all such deals. If this comes together, it will come together very quickly.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...hard-work.html

If we ever do get a season, it'll be interesting to see if/how this plays out. I guess my attitude would be "Why not?" (as if to say "What would there be to lose?"), though I'd be interested to see what others think. This would be the second "big name" forward the CBJ kicked the tires on in recent months, with Jagr being the other.

If the deal were extended again, I'd be curious to see how another wild card plays into things: John Davidson.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
So much for the Jackets building off of 'work ethic'. lol.

I like it though. Kovy could give some exciting in Columbus, but he is definitely washed up. Could fit along nicely with the other Russians on the roster too.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Cogburn

A little extra star power with Nash out. Could be fun, I look forward to it.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:54 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
A little extra star power with Nash out. Could be fun, I look forward to it.
nuck fan already sallivating

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
nuck fan already sallivating
Kovalev hasn't a connection to the Canucks...I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing how much juice the guy has left as a neutral, more or less, observer.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:25 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

this is going to be such a train-wreck.

just say no howson.

11-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
this is going to be such a train-wreck.

just say no howson.
Exactly. You would think the Jackets would have learned their lesson with Fedorov. A former star player, playing hard 1 out of every 5 games, isn't going to help your team one bit.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:36 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
If they used the guy exclusively on the PP, yeah, I think he could help them. Think of it as having the PP help vs. 1 of your 4th line grinders.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:48 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Has its ups and downs for a team like Columbus. I say, do it.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Kloparren
Hth

The one positive from that Dubinsky/Anisimov trade and getting Foligno was that Columbus would be a tougher team to play against...obviously not if this happens.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:51 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Ottawa fan saying for the love of all things holy AVOID. One game he will blow your mind with his natural ability. The next 6, he'll make you want to wring his neck with how maddeningly inconsistent he is and how indifferent he looks on the ice.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Oates2Neely

Wouldn't it be nice if the NHL allowed a "flex option"? All teams are allwoed to carry one extra bench player, & can plug him into the game as they see fit. Kovalev would be perfect, he can ride pine the entire game, just roll him out on the PP.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:14 PM
OneSharpMarble

The perfect work ethic/attitude to instill in the youngsters

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if the NHL allowed a "flex option"? All teams are allwoed to carry one extra bench player, & can plug him into the game as they see fit. Kovalev would be perfect, he can ride pine the entire game, just roll him out on the PP.
I agree but it would promote carrying a goon and if games got out of hand, which they sometimes do, things could get a lot uglier than they are now.

***Not that I have ANY problem with that at all but most people probably would

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:23 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Boy, if you think Columbus is skittish about drafting young Russians after the problems they've had with them, just wait until they get a load of Kovalev.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Exactly. You would think the Jackets would have learned their lesson with Fedorov. A former star player, playing hard 1 out of every 5 games, isn't going to help your team one bit.
Fedorov played hard in Columbus on a regular basis. The problem is that he was way past his prime, and Doug MacLean (who acquired him) had no idea how to use him on or off the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Ottawa fan saying for the love of all things holy AVOID. One game he will blow your mind with his natural ability. The next 6, he'll make you want to wring his neck with how maddeningly inconsistent he is and how indifferent he looks on the ice.
We went through Nikolai Zherdev. We know what it's like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Boy, if you think Columbus is skittish about drafting young Russians after the problems they've had with them, just wait until they get a load of Kovalev.
You know that Columbus has more Russians on the NHL roster than anyone else in the NHL, right? (Fedor Tyutin, Nikita Nikitin, Artem Anisimov, and Sergei Bobrovsky)

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Seems as though Kovalev will go anywhere at this point, as long as it means returning to the NHL, as he really doesn't have many options left. It's great Columbus is interested, for his sake and theirs, as I think he'd bring some sort of excitement to the team and city, but they shouldn't expect much. Who knows if he even has anything left on NHL ice anymore. He looked shot over a year ago in Pittsburgh and his speed is literally gone. He still has his hands and shot, but he only uses them when he wants to. For close to league minimum, I don't see why not, but I wouldn't expect much at all if I were the Jackets. It's hard to say Kovalev is a top-six forward anymore and he doesn't fit into any other role.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Why not? If it works out even remotely well, they could peddle him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the trade deadline.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
He was utterly worthless in Pittsburgh a year and a half ago with Mark Letestu as his center...I can't see how he'd be better off in Columbus with Mark Letestu as his center.

ďThe most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.Ē - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
benjiv1

During his time in Ottawa, he would often spend time with Nick Foligno, working on Nick's hands and puck control.

Just keep him on a year to year basis, and dont be frustrated if he doesnt show up every game, because, well, thats excpected.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Ouroboros

This has to be some sort of joke. He was dreadful as a Senator; so bad that they had to give him away for a conditional 7th. Didn't do **** all for the Pens either.

He was finished after the 2008/2009 season.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I think I'd rather we go after Andrei Kostitsyn. At least that way we have a marketing gimmick for Nashville games.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Is Kovalev not 39 now or something? And got dropped by his team in Russia after putting up dreadful numbers? If I'm columbus, I avoid like the plague.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think I'd rather we go after Andrei Kostitsyn. At least that way we have a marketing gimmick for Nashville games.
Can't hope for both? I mean the brother vs. brother angle would help both sides, but Kovalev's teaching Foligno, and by extention others, how to handle the puck better could still be of benefit.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Can't hope for both? I mean the brother vs. brother angle would help both sides, but Kovalev's teaching Foligno, and by extention others, how to handle the puck better could still be of benefit.
That says to me "hire him as an assistant coach", not "put him on the roster."

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote