Old
11-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Power Man
Grrrr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
SVG on Brown's firing:

I think their defense is worse than their offense.
What do you expect from the Lakers' PGs ?

Fisher back in the days, Blake and Nash are human turnstiles

Power Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
The Lakers fired Paul Westhead 6 games into the 81-82 season at Magic's behest. Pat Riley was hired and we all know the rest.

I don't necessarily think it's unfair to Mike, it was clear LA was going nowhere during his tenure. I would rather see the Lakers fire him this soon than fire him too late. That being said, I only think you fire him if a guy like Phil or Sloan is brought in. If Phil has any interest whatsoever he has to be brought back.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Vamos Rafa

https://twitter.com/RoyceWebb/status/267006597815996417

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The Lakers fired Paul Westhead 6 games into the 81-82 season at Magic's behest. Pat Riley was hired and we all know the rest.
I think it was more than 6 games but Magic and Kareem aren't walking through that door with the new coach.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think it was more than 6 games but Magic and Kareem aren't walking through that door with the new coach.
It was 11, you're right about that. He was also fired during a winning streak. Magic asked to be traded, so the coach was fired instead. He had even won a title with the Lakers. And in today's NBA you don't need Magic and Kareem to win a title, obviously

Old
11-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Expected him to get canned eventually if things kept going as they were, but not this soon, 5 games in.

Some very interesting options out there. Sloan, I agree that maybe the egos may clash, but there were also reports in the summer I believe that he was itching to get back to coaching, and there's a lot of talent for him to work with. I personally would love to see Jackson come back for one more go with this roster.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Big Poppa Puck
U JUST MADE THE LIST

And I thought ESPN was the only ones who overreacted after a few games.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:47 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Looks like we will know with a new head coach if the issue was coaching or the players.

I don't know what else to say other than this mess the Lakers found themselves in was totatlly unexpected.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:49 PM
G F O P

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Looks like we will know with a new head coach if the issue was coaching or the players.

I don't know what else to say other than this mess the Lakers found themselves in was totatlly unexpected.
Aren't you a Suns fan?

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:54 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Not shocking, but it is. While it was the same situation that Miami had with bringing a team together needing to find chemistry, there was a lot more that was different. Also, while I'm not sure Brown was ever going to get things right, it seems like he was just strung along there for a bit.

Anyway, whoever the coach is next they're going to have to scorch the earth and start all over again. Gain respect of the players , get them to play 100% every night, teach chemistry, and figure out not just an offense, but defense.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:06 AM
brendan
rip bruv/cudi

The Dwight Howard Effect.

brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Aren't you a Suns fan?
The Lakers have the most non-local glory-hunting fans in the league.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Not shocking, but it is. While it was the same situation that Miami had with bringing a team together needing to find chemistry, there was a lot more that was different. Also, while I'm not sure Brown was ever going to get things right, it seems like he was just strung along there for a bit.

Anyway, whoever the coach is next they're going to have to scorch the earth and start all over again. Gain respect of the players , get them to play 100% every night, teach chemistry, and figure out not just an offense, but defense.
Good point. I compared the two situations earlier but it was different on and off the court. No matter what the media, fans, or LeBron thought of Spoelstra, he wasn't getting fired. Micky Arison, Pat Riley, and Dwyane Wade had his back from the beginning and he was their guy. There was some talk of him and LeBron not getting along at first but now it seems like LeBron loves having him as his coach. I don't think anyone had Brown's back in LA but it might have been different if they gave it a bit more time.

A lot of people are putting this on Kobe but I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight had something to do with it. I don't think he has fully recovered yet from his surgery so that might have something to do with it but he doesn't look like the same player he was with the Magic. He hasn't fit in on offense or defense. People are already reporting that he badly wants Phil Jackson as his next coach and he already told the front office that. There are a lot of things that could have led to Brown's firing but could keeping Dwight happy be one of them?

Old
11-10-2012, 04:09 AM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Exactly, which is why I never understood why people compared to two situations. Maybe it is because Brown & Spoelstra are like the same age, have the same kind of background being a video cordinator/scout and then assistants under bonifide coaches and were dealing with a superfriends teams, but beyond that?

Different atmospheres- LA always has pressure no matter who their or any other team's roster is

Different histories- I knew people who thought Riley was the Heat coach when Bosh & Lebron signed or that it was Spoelstra's first season as a coach. Mike's head has been on a swivel since last season. Sometimes its best people don't know you.

Different trust-already noted

Different star players- Who would you rather get that "look" from, Lebron or Kobe?

Different ways of going about it- Even when Miami struggled out of the gate, Spoelstra didn't seem to let it get to him whereas like I noted before Mike seemed agitated and desperate.

As for Lebron adjusting definitely. Listen to how he talks and the terms he uses from his Cleveland days to before last season. He's totally in that Stepford Heat circle where they all speak like Riley.

As for who got Mike canned, I don't know the rumours, but Dwight probably didn't have to talk to anyone about anything. If the Lakers are losing and things are difficult, chances are he won't stick around. Beyond not having a history with players, Mike's biggest problem may have been LA didn't have time on their side.

PS, I just saw this thread is called "cut/released", I laughed.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 11-10-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old
11-10-2012, 10:26 AM
kingsholygrail
Smug

Nobody should be surprised by the firing.

Lakers took it out on the Warriors last night.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Aren't you a Suns fan?
Nothing in his post indicated he was a Lakers fan....

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:47 PM
MapleLeafsFan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Unless the Lakers want to bring Phil Jackson back and he agrees to it, are there some people who think that Kobe will want a say in who their next coach is? I remember after Mike Brown got hired some people mentioned was Kobe told what they planned and if he was ok with it?

MapleLeafsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
PanthersPens62
GGIB

Per ESPN crawl this afternoon, its sounding more & more like The Zen Master is on his way back to LA. Be very afraid NBA (including my incomperable Heatles!)

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:35 PM
G F O P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBertho View Post
Nothing in his post indicated he was a Lakers fan....
He's a Suns fan.

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
We need Phil, can't win without Phil. Very happy if it happens. Fisher should come in as one of his assistants so that he can be groomed for the job later.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 11-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
He's a Suns fan.
Nope.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=679

Old
11-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Per ESPN crawl this afternoon, its sounding more & more like The Zen Master is on his way back to LA. Be very afraid NBA (including my incomperable Heatles!)
I still think defense and depth are their biggest problems and Phil won't them too much in those areas. They'll obviously a lot better under Phil than they were with Brown but they'll still have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
We need Phil, can't win without Phil. Very happy if it happens. Fisher should come in as one of his assistants so that he can be groomed for the job later.
They shouldn't have treated Shaw like crap because he would be the best candidate for that role. If Phil comes back, it'll probably be for a year or maybe two so they'll need someone who is ready to be a head coach. I don't think Fisher will be ready and Shaw is probably ready right now.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Vamos Rafa

Can they hire Brian Shaw right now?

Old
11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Can they hire Brian Shaw right now?
They could if they wanted him to be the head coach. Don't think he can leave his current assistant position just to be an assistant with the Lakers.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:29 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Unless the Lakers want to bring Phil Jackson back and he agrees to it, are there some people who think that Kobe will want a say in who their next coach is? I remember after Mike Brown got hired some people mentioned was Kobe told what they planned and if he was ok with it?
Per ESPN:

"During an interview on ESPN during halftime of Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, Brown said he already had exchanged text messages with Kobe Bryant, who had endorsed Jackson assistant coach Brian Shaw for the job."
"Lakers brass did not consult Bryant during their coaching search, but sources say Bryant has great respect for Brown and is on board with the hiring."

linky. As noted already, Shaw is a current assistant coach for Indy. But I think I kinda remember when this happened cause people were more shocked that they didn't really consult Kobe when he wanted Shaw and he was right there, plus while Mike had a good record, it just seemed kind of strange.

Also, my bet, LA has a real coach by Tuesday's game vs the Spurs.