HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season madness the 2nd: Jays get Reyes, Johnson, Buehrle, Bonifacio

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Bob Barker

vCash: 500
I would rather have JP than:
(starters according to MLB.com depth charts)
Iannetta- LAA
Castro- HOU
Norris- OAK
Castillo- CHIC
Buck- MIA
Thole- NYM
Suzuki- WAS
McKenry- PIT
Soto- TEX
Molina- TB
Hanigan- CIN
Flowers- CHIW
Stewart- NYY
Jaso- SEA

And maybe
Ellis- LAD
Saltalamacchia- BOS

Old
11-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Iannetta- LAA <- Better than JP
Castro- HOU
Norris- OAK <- Has a higher potential
Castillo- CHIC <- Only played 63 games in the majors so far, but doesn't look bad.
Buck- MIA <- Similar to JP
Thole- NYM
Suzuki- WAS <- Starting because Ramos has been injured, but he'll come back soon.
McKenry- PIT <- 2012 season was good, don't know much about him though.
Soto- TEX
Molina- TB
Hanigan- CIN <- Better than JP
Flowers- CHIW <- Not sure how he'll do in a starting role.
Stewart- NYY <- If they don't re-up Martin, they'll definitely look for another option.
Jaso- SEA <- um, did you see 2012 Jaso?

And maybe
Ellis- LAD <- 2012 Ellis?
Saltalamacchia- BOS <- Similar to JP
As much as I like JP as a person, his plate discipline really hinders his ability to be an above average catcher.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Iannetta- LAA
Castro- HOU
Norris- OAK
Castillo- CHIC
Buck- MIA
Thole- NYM
Suzuki- WAS
McKenry- PIT
Soto- TEX
Molina- TB (about to be DFAd)
Hanigan- CIN
Flowers- CHIW
Stewart- NYY
Jaso- SEA

And maybe
Ellis- LAD
Saltalamacchia- BOS
Absolutely would take Jaso, Ellis, Saltalamacchia, Hannigan above JPA. Also factor in that your list is missing notable FA in Napoli, Pierzynski and Martin and that Boston is shopping Saltalamacchia because they see Ross as an upgrade, and you have 8 or 9 teams on which he'd be an upgrade

Old
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Rival exec: #BlueJays' Anthopoulos targeting starting pitching, "itching" to make a trade.

I wanna know for who!

Old
11-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

Rival exec: #BlueJays' Anthopoulos targeting starting pitching, "itching" to make a trade.

I wanna know for who!
I doubt the Jays make trade for the rest of this month.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:49 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Cubs sign Baker to a 1 year deal.

Damn, was hoping we coulda scooped him up.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:04 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

which is ken rosenthal ?

could that be his source ?
you know the fox sports sources....

Old
11-13-2012, 11:06 AM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:

I wanna know for who!
Garza

If he's healthy he can up numbers similar or close to as good as James Shields

Last edited by HappyGilmourr: 11-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

Josh Johnson is my dream trade candidate.

I will also absolutely love to bring Doc back.

11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i think BJ Upton would do well here
i know he strikes out alot but.....

how about JPA for BJU ?

Old
11-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i think BJ Upton would do well here
i know he strikes out alot but.....

how about JPA for BJU ?
BJ is a FA

Old
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
BJ is a FA
youre right
i meant justin upton

and arizona wants a shortstop
i doubt they want yunel back

bj would want too much i'm guessing

Last edited by p.l.f.: 11-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Baker signs for 1yr/5.5M with incentives. Makes a lot of sense for the Cubs. Rebuilding team that can guarantee him a spot and nothing really lost if he struggles or can't stay healthy.

Baffled as to why Twins didn't get him signed to that amount. He can be a pretty good pitcher with very solid BB/K ratio and god knows, they need starting pitching.

Last edited by Nasty Nazem: 11-13-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
youre right
i meant justin upton

and atlanta wants a shortstop
i doubt they want yunel back
No, they don't. They have one of the best young SS in the league in Andrelton Simmons. I think he is going to be a better version of Andrus IMO.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:25 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
No, they don't. They have one of the best young SS in the league in Andrelton Simmons. I think he is going to be a better version of Andrus IMO.
i meant arizona)

you could be right, but you could be wrong
i was looking at this:

According to this post on MLB Trade Rumors, the Rangers were willing to trade top 3B prospect Mike Olt to get Braves SS Andrelton Simmons, who Texas then planned to trade for D-Backs OF Justin Upton.

Multiple reports this off-season suggest Arizona is seeking a young shortstop, plus pitching, in a deal for Upton.

November 13th, 2012 11:08 am

Old
11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Baker signs for 1yr/5.5M with incentives. Makes a lot of sense for the Cubs. Rebuilding team that can guarantee him a spot and nothing really lost if he struggles or can't stay healthy.

Baffled as to why Twins didn't get him signed to that amount. He can be a pretty good pitcher with very solid BB/K ratio and god knows, they need starting pitching.
I was thinking the only way he wouldn't sign with the Twins is if he gets a multiyear deal with another club. Does seem a bit odd. Injury risk might be greater than we are lead to believe. 1yr/5.5 is chump meat. Baker is a steady arm when healthy.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I was thinking the only way he wouldn't sign with the Twins is if he gets a multiyear deal with another club. Does seem a bit odd. Injury risk might be greater than we are lead to believe. 1yr/5.5 is chump meat. Baker is a steady arm when healthy.
His delivery has always caused chronic flexor strains, which ultimately led to the more serious elbow problem and subsequent TJ surgery. My guess is the Twins, even on a one year deal at such a good price, don't have confidence that those issues won't persist. That's the only thing I can think of because that's a great value deal at 5.5.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

I played against this guy in high school!

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/12...e-jays-prayers

As the guy says in the comments, this is pretty much the most Thornhill thing ever

Old
11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

A team in desperate need of rotation help could move aggressively on Guthrie, and Olney wonders if his AL East track record with the Orioles makes him attractive to the Blue Jays.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#80ecYPWlDdPkBF7J.99

He is a serviceable starter that will eat up innings for you. Don't want him for anywhere near the asking price that was reported earlier.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 653
I dunno, maybe we are undervaluing power/homeruns as an asset.

It seems to be a needed asset, along with pitching, to be able to win the AL. The NL, perhaps surprisingly, doesn't need it nearly as much. The Giants, for example, were last in the majors in HR's, and we all know how that turned out. The Cardinals are also similar, and many agree they have one of the best offenses in the league.

In 2012, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 1, 6, 2, 4, 10 (New York, Oakland, Baltimore, Texas, Detroit).

In 2011, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 1, 2, 7, 6, 3 (New York, Texas, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Boston) .

In 2010, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 3, 5, 6, 9, 2 (New York, Texas, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Boston).

In 2009, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 1, 3, 8, 9, 3 (New York, Boston, Angels, Minnesota, Texas).

The Jays haven't had any problems hitting the long-ball, they've ranked (in this time-frame): 5, 5, 1, 4.

The problem is that they have not had guys on base. Their runs scored and OBP account for this. So hitting a solo homerun isn't very effective. It's also misleading.

However, we've got the power done pat. That much is clear. If we can tap into the pitching, and improve the OBP slightly to middle of the pack, you might see an Oakland and Baltimore type-of-year; they've followed this model.

A Billy Beane quote:

Quote:
Yes, it’s pitching and power in this league. Nobody has done it better the last 15 years than the Yankees. Listen, you go into Texas and you’re playing that lineup? You’re not going to bunt and steal your way to winning games. Not eight, nine, 10 games a year in that ballpark. Then they come here. You can call that my opinion but you can certainly prove it mathematically. It’s simply not going to happen without the home run. We haven’t had power and this year we did. That was a huge difference.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
A team in desperate need of rotation help could move aggressively on Guthrie, and Olney wonders if his AL East track record with the Orioles makes him attractive to the Blue Jays.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#80ecYPWlDdPkBF7J.99

He is a serviceable starter that will eat up innings for you. Don't want him for anywhere near the asking price that was reported earlier.
Last year I really wanted AA to trade for him on the cheap, I mean all he cost was Jonathon Sanchez , but he's nothing more than a #5 innings eater (#4, maybe, if push comes to shove, a 3 in a very crappy rotation), and even on the same contract as Baker, I wouldn't want him over Happ...

Old
11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I dunno, maybe we are undervaluing power/homeruns as an asset.

It seems to be a needed asset, along with pitching, to be able to win the AL. The NL, perhaps surprisingly, doesn't need it nearly as much. The Giants, for example, were last in the majors in HR's, and we all know how that turned out. The Cardinals are also similar, and many agree they have one of the best offenses in the league.

In 2012, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 1, 6, 2, 4, 10 (New York, Oakland, Baltimore, Texas, Detroit).

In 2011, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 1, 2, 7, 6, 3 (New York, Texas, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Boston) .

In 2010, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 3, 5, 6, 9, 2 (New York, Texas, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Boston).

In 2009, the five best AL teams ranked in home runs: 1, 3, 8, 9, 3 (New York, Boston, Angels, Minnesota, Texas).

The Jays haven't had any problems hitting the long-ball, they've ranked (in this time-frame): 5, 5, 1, 4.

The problem is that they have not had guys on base. Their runs scored and OBP account for this. So hitting a solo homerun isn't very effective. It's also misleading.

However, we've got the power done pat. That much is clear. If we can tap into the pitching, and improve the OBP slightly to middle of the pack, you might see an Oakland and Baltimore type-of-year; they've followed this model.

A Billy Beane quote:
I have to agree that power is important, especially in AL East against these power heavy line-ups but Jays have a lot of that. They need more OBP guys even if you sacrifice some power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Last year I really wanted AA to trade for him on the cheap, I mean all he cost was Jonathon Sanchez , but he's nothing more than a #5 innings eater (#4, maybe, if push comes to shove, a 3 in a very crappy rotation), and even on the same contract as Baker, I wouldn't want him over Happ...
Kinda funny how the the trades happened. Sanchez was traded for Melky Cabrera (lol @ Royals). Guthrie was traded for Jason Hammels (lol @ Rockies -- how could they possibly think a flyball pitcher prone to HR would do well in that park). Sanchez was a giant pile of crap who gets dealt for Guthrie... which from Rockies perspective, I still don't understand it. Sanchez was broken while Guthrie just needed to get away from that ballpark. He does and he pitches well down the stretch.

I wanted him too at the deadline. Would have been much cheaper than what we paid for Happ/Lyon and would have been serviceable for this season at least.

He is fine if he comes at 1yr/6-7 or at most, 2yr/12-13M but nothing more than that. Mediocre peripherals and has been just okay in his career? Nothing more than a #4 starter. Crazy thing was, he asking reportedly asking for 3/34 which was beyond nuts. No idea why any team would give him anywhere near that... don't think he will get 3 years either.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
I wanted him too at the deadline. Would have been much cheaper than what we paid for Happ/Lyon and would have been serviceable for this season at least.

He is fine if he comes at 1yr/6-7 or at most, 2yr/12-13M but nothing more than that. Mediocre peripherals and has been just okay in his career? Nothing more than a #4 starter. Crazy thing was, he asking reportedly asking for 3/34 which was beyond nuts. No idea why any team would give him anywhere near that... don't think he will get 3 years either.
Thing is, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as our #4 at this point, as our needs have changed from just a guy who can eat innings in that spot, to someone who can actually contribute. And for what he's asking, we can get a much better pitcher, and for a little more than what you proposed we could probably find someone better (hell, I'd trade assets for a #4 who still has more to show).

Old
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
AndMat*

Jays should sign Eric Hinske as there first baseman.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:01 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
I doubt the Jays make trade for the rest of this month.
I doubt they trade at all

Closed Thread