HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season madness the 2nd: Jays get Reyes, Johnson, Buehrle, Bonifacio

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Kb21

vCash: 500
jays can afford this and it only takes 1 WS to make all this payroll worth it. we don't have the luxury to build a team like how the giants do because they play in a pitchers ball park and also in a weak division.

as for reyes's contract:

12:$10M, 13:$10M, 14:$16M, 15:$22M, 16:$22M, 17:$22M, 18:$22M club option ($4M buyout)

he is only owed 96M over the 5 years guaranteed. a bit steep but his production should payoff about 3-4years of his remaining 5 (baring injury).

anyone else notice how the marlins back loaded all their contracts while also fleecing their city out of 900M for a new stadium that will now be nothing more then a minor league ball park.

Last edited by Kb21: 11-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
LMAO. Your here as often as others but never post but I'm suppose to know that how again? Priceless.

Higher and mightier. Really? It's because we defended AA when guys like drop the mitts among others could add nothing more to a discussion than rogers is cheap and will never spend real money and that AA was a mule for them and didn't have the guts to go big. We preached patience and that when they felt the time was right they would spend. Well guess what? The elistist/hipsters were right. Never said you didn't know anything about baseball. I said if you spent more time here you'd understand why the name was there. Also, why the sarcasm meter is a tough thing to have when posting on a jays board.
I wouldn't go out and gives yourself pats on the back. This is as much about the Marlins fire sale and their stupid owner screwing their franchise over again as he did Montreal than it is AA making a great move

If the Marlins weren't willing to move tons of money this deal wouldn't have happened

Don't get me wrong AA did well in getting holes filled but none of you can post here and say you saw this coming and this was the move AA had planned all along cause I bet even AA was probably surprised when the Marlins ok'd the deal

Old
lebdafor norris
sleepy

[IMG][/IMG]

Old
11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Is Jason Bay still an FA? He could be a solid option at LF if he can rebound. If not, he should be fairly cheap to bury and we could use Sierra.

Lineup
Reyes SS
Lawrie 3B
Lind 1B/DH
Bautista RF
Encarnacion 1B/DH
Rasmus CF
Arencibia C
Bay/Sierra LF
Bonaficio 2B

Johnson
Morrow
Buerhle
Romero
Happ

CP - Janssen

Something like that is very sexy. Even without Bay, my mouth is watering.
Not really worth bothering with him.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Is Jason Bay still an FA? He could be a solid option at LF if he can rebound. If not, he should be fairly cheap to bury and we could use Sierra.

Lineup
Reyes SS
Lawrie 3B
Lind 1B/DH
Bautista RF
Encarnacion 1B/DH
Rasmus CF
Arencibia C
Bay/Sierra LF
Bonaficio 2B

Johnson
Morrow
Buerhle
Romero
Happ

CP - Janssen

Well, that is interesting.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Deal might not be approved until Wednesday according to buster olney.

Old
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Not a knock on this great trade or anything but Buehrle and Reyes have very back loaded contracts. If the trade leads to success on the field rogers should be more than willing to spend the money.

Got this from the Bruins board of all places.

Buehrle only made 6 million last year and is due to make 11/18/19 million over next three years...Reyes made 10 million and is due 10/10/16/22/22/22/22 over the next 7 years
One thing to remember, the money for Buerhle and Reyes, whatever it may be more than they're worth, will be covered by the bump in TV revenues starting in 2014, so it's not as much of a problem as we may think, especially if the team has success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
I was referring to going forward, I think Rogers has just shown they are willing to spend to compete.
Fair enough, it just seemed a harsh reply to someone saying AA/Rogers saw an opportunity to attack and take on money.

Old
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
He's on the team as it stands so unless he's traded that's what he'll be this coming season.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
mapes

Johnson, Buehrle, Romero and Morrow as 4/5 starters along with what our BP looks like now? Not to mention our hitting:

1 - Reyes
2 - Lawrie
3 - Bautista
4 - EE
5 - Rasmus

Holy ****ing ****. I just got off work, came to the Leafs board to talk hockey and saw this. I am super pumped right now.

Be awesome if we even took things further and went after a great hitter in free agency. Doubt our payroll grows much more though

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Not really worth bothering with him.
He's a decent option and I'd prefer him to Davis. As long as Davis isn't out starter, I don't care who it is.

I really wanted McLouth earlier when the Pirates let him go. Too bad. He'd look awesome out there.

Old
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
He's on the team as it stands so unless he's traded that's what he'll be this coming season.
I wouldn't want him batting third though

Old
11-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I wouldn't go out and gives yourself pats on the back. This is as much about the Marlins fire sale and their stupid owner screwing their franchise over again as he did Montreal than it is AA making a great move

If the Marlins weren't willing to move tons of money this deal wouldn't have happened

Don't get me wrong AA did well in getting holes filled but none of you can post here and say you saw this coming and this was the move AA had planned all along cause I bet even AA was probably surprised when the Marlins ok'd the deal
What AA planned to do all along was stockpile the organization with talent at every level, and either make a big move if the right move came along, or to wait and let the talent develop if no moves make sense.

A good opportunity to make a huge move presented itself, and AA pulled the trigger. I'd say this was part of AA's plan all along.

Old
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Thats fine, but his lineup has him batting 3rd.

Old
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Quote:
LMAO. Your here as often as others but never post but I'm suppose to know that how again? Priceless.

Higher and mightier. Really? It's because we defended AA when guys like drop the mitts among others could add nothing more to a discussion than rogers is cheap and will never spend real money and that AA was a mule for them and didn't have the guts to go big. We preached patience and that when they felt the time was right they would spend. Well guess what? The elistist/hipsters were right. Never said you didn't know anything about baseball. I said if you spent more time here you'd understand why the name was there. Also, why the sarcasm meter is a tough thing to have when posting on a jays board.
Lol I'm not here to argue whether those saying rogers was cheap were right or not. I was among those who wanted patience and let AA do his thing, long term.

However, I do feel that it is higher and mightier to say that I'm not here enough, just because I don't have a ton of posts in here. I saw that whole exchange go down with the hipsters post and I have pretty much read every post in all these jays threads for almost as long as I've been on HF. You're not supposed to know I frequent these threads a lot or not, but you're also not supposed to call people out who don't seem to be here because A LOT of people frequent these threads without posting. I'm sure Nemesis can tell you, since he sees all the people looking at threads.

Old
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Miami fans don't owe their team a shred of loyalty right now, this is an obscene, unheard of level of abandonment.
suck the city into a new stadium, dump salary after the first year

blatant bait and switch

Old
11-13-2012, 08:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I don't hate Lind as much as most people here. I think he's got able to get on base through walks and the like. He did manage to get on base at a nice clip after he returned.

I put him third for one reason - double protection. You have to give Lind something to hit with less than two out because you have two crushers coming up after him.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Yep thats the insane part.
We still have lots of ammunition to make other things happen. We didnt trade what some would say is 4 of our top 5 guys (d'Arnaud, Gose, Syndergaard and Sanchez).
That is what I am most surprised with. We pretty much kept our 2 best arms and 2 best postion players. That is freaking insaine.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:25 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
I don't hate Lind as much as most people here. I think he's got able to get on base through walks and the like. I put him third for one reason - double protection. You have to give Lind something to hit with less than two out because you have two crushers coming up after him.
you put your best player in the 3 hole... not adam lind lol..

Old
Brody

New thread plzzzz

Old
Budsfan

Quote:

Lineup
Reyes SS
Lawrie 3B
Lind 1B/DH
Bautista RF
Encarnacion 1B/DH
Rasmus CF
Arencibia C
Bay/Sierra LF
Bonaficio 2B

Johnson
Morrow
Buerhle
Romero
Happ

CP - Janssen

That's a great line up and I like this....

Quote:
Its a good day to be a bluejay! tweeted Jose Bautista at 6:45 p.m., as news of the trade circulated on Twitter.

Old
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
I wouldn't want him batting third though
I don't think that was a projected batting order just what the lineup as a whole looks like

Old
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Great trade. What will be the big issue is health with Reyes and Johnson. If they stay healthy, the Jays will pretty much for sure make the playoffs.

Old
trellaine201

On "paper" one of the best jays teams in ages.

Old
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Just having everyone healthy would have been a huge boost in 2013, this deal is gravy.

Jays just added a .290 hitting .800 OPS shortstop who can swipe 40 bags.

Josh Johnson's career ERA is better than any other Jays Starter

Buerhle is a veteran pitcher who is good for 13-16 wins every season and 200+ innings pitched....and remember, he is only 33 years old. He still has a lot of good years left.

Just wow.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
TheTotalPackage

Just wow.

Any reaction yet from the newest Blue Jays? Hopefully none of them are disappointed to be coming to Toronto.

Closed Thread