HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

"Hockey, A Peoples History" amazing! must watch!

Old
11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

vCash: 500
"Hockey, A Peoples History" amazing! must watch!

Around 8 hours of an amazing journey of how the sport was made. This is by far the best movie/documentary I've ever seen for our sport. I've been around the sport 26 years and thought I knew a decent amount, but boy was a wrong. Very wrong. I've learned so much from this. I'm sure you will too.

I believe there are 10 parts. Here's part 1 and I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

http://youtu.be/hGlAaaCqEWw

I did a couple searches and didn't see it on the forums, and yes I know it's probably here somewhere but oh well.

Enjoy, you won't be disappointed.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
tony d
Summer Camp

I have the DVD set here at home. I agree that it was a great documentary. Maybe the NHL and NHLPA should be watching the DVD now to remind themselves what they should be playing for.

11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I have the DVD set here at home. I agree that it was a great documentary. Maybe the NHL and NHLPA should be watching the DVD now to remind themselves what they should be playing for.
I'm out a month with a broken knee right now and it's been a blessing in disguise. Ordered new Goalie pads, watching some Goalie DVDs that mentally will make me a better player. This documentary just brings back memories and makes me realize how much I love Hockey and that life is too short. After being a skater for my first 10 chapters in my Hockey life , this makes me want to be the best damn Goalie I can be and continue to prove people wrong! I can't wait to get back on the ice man.

God bless!

Old
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... yes, its a wonderful series with the ever friendly & confident Fred Napoli providing the Narration. Ranks right up there with some of Ken Burns best work, the visuals & threads all home-spun; a warm patchwork quilt of winter nights, days of future passed. Much more could & should be done I believe, expanding on the themes, players. More in-depth, presented in the same fashion, old Fred behind the mike again of course.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Elever
Hth

I like it but not that special. It's good for casual fans, I'd imagine anyone with a good historic knowledge would go meh. I started watching hockey in the 90s though so for me it's pretty cool to see and I don't know some of the pre-90s info. I find some of the stuff repetitive and very general though. They also go into women's hockey in each episode which kinda gets boring before the 80s period (no offense but I'm just looking for NHL stuff).

Some of the images are cool to see since much of that stuff isn't on youtube but it would be nice if they made one of those in more detail for hardcore fans. Especially if they did it season by season in review rather than focusing on a star player or some other aspect. Atm, I've only found that season by season review in books like Stanley Cup Fever but not in a documentary.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I like it but not that special. It's good for casual fans, I'd imagine anyone with a good historic knowledge would go meh. I started watching hockey in the 90s though so for me it's pretty cool to see and I don't know some of the pre-90s info. I find some of the stuff repetitive and very general though. They also go into women's hockey in each episode which kinda gets boring before the 80s period (no offense but I'm just looking for NHL stuff).

Some of the images are cool to see since much of that stuff isn't on youtube but it would be nice if they made one of those in more detail for hardcore fans. Especially if they did it season by season in review rather than focusing on a star player or some other aspect. Atm, I've only found that season by season review in books like Stanley Cup Fever but not in a documentary.
It's Hockey a People's history though, not a history of the NHL. I know the NHL is largely covered in it but I like the different aspects that the documentary covered. I didn't mind seeing women's hockey and it was certainly interesting to see the struggles they went through. What I like about the documentary is that its not just some talking about dates, and this happened here and that happened there. They get personal stories which helps out alot.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:59 PM
thom

Another good doc in Legends of Hockey with very good interviews and footage

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:35 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

watching the first episode makes me wonder what the Canadian sports landscape would have been like if hockey never caught on. Would it be like other nations of the commonwealth that have the trinity of soccer, cricket, and rugby, or would it have adopted baseball as readily as the US did at the turn of the century?

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:45 PM
JetsAlternate

It's a great documentary. CBC aired the entire series in HD in early 2010; if the image was upscaled, it looked pretty darn good. Unfortunately, it ends at the start of the 2000s. I would love if they could put together a follow-up episode featuring the 2000s with Paul Gross once again narrating.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
It's a great documentary. CBC aired the entire series in HD in early 2010; if the image was upscaled, it looked pretty darn good. Unfortunately, it ends at the start of the 2000s. I would love if they could put together a follow-up episode featuring the 2000s with Paul Gross once again narrating.
That's exactly what they need to do. Bring in some more episodes. It would nice if they did that. I'm sure its running through their minds too, just needs someone to give it a push.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:19 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Yeah I don't care if it's about the NHL or not. Actually I prefer it not to be. Obviously the NHL is an absolute joke right now and they're losing respect all over the world. They're forgetting about the fans and the sport. Greed has taken over, either it be the owners or players fault. It's a disgrace and the NHL will have a tough time recovering from it once again.

Back to the video....It's the history of Hockey. This is for avg to hardcore fans. It's hard to see a average fan finish watching this, most prob bail early. Hardcore's will love it. I'm on video 7 of 10. While it stays in the olden days a lot, I don't care. I'd rather learn about the history of Hockey before I was around.

Glad you guys are enjoying it or have enjoyed it as much as I have.