HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Goaltending Situation

Old
04-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
The Goaltending Situation

There isn't one. We've finally got a legit starter in Andy. Anybody still considering this guy a "stop gap" until Lehner?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:57 AM
guyzeur

Not with Anderson but with our backup goalie

do you package Bishop with our First to move up in this year draft?

Possible target: islanders, Tampa,Edmonton, Columbus, Calgary

It will be tough to trade him in my mind because of goaltenders that should be available this year:
Draft: Subban
Trade: Kiprusoff, Thomas, Lungo

So I say we ride Bishop until the trade deadline and keep Lehner in Bingo until then.

Anderson has been great

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:01 AM
TSA0402

We have three good goaltenders. Anderson is our starter and is FINALLY getting some damn recognition. That is our goaltending situation.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Ed Wood

I really like Anderson but I'd still be hard pressed to rank him among the top twenty goalies in the league. I'm not looking to replace him but let's be realistic about what he is.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I really like Anderson but I'd still be hard pressed to rank him among the top twenty goalies in the league. I'm not looking to replace him but let's be realistic about what he is.
Anderson was awesome in the series against the Rangers, his numbers were equivalent to Lundqvist. The guy went over 140 mins against the best team in the East without letting in a goal.

Andy is top 10 in the league. Who do you rank ahead of him?

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:46 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Top 10 it would be hard but no question he would be in the top 20.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
mcnorth

I don't give a crap what Andy's numbers say re: top twenty goaltenders and their save pct. etc. We watch the games, we know what kind of quality shots he faced all year. Was there another team that made the play-offs and gave up as many odd man rushes as the Sens? I seriously doubt it. He has been fantastic.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
Anderson was awesome in the series against the Rangers, his numbers were equivalent to Lundqvist. The guy went over 140 mins against the best team in the East without letting in a goal.

Andy is top 10 in the league. Who do you rank ahead of him?
I believe Anderson finished 27th in the league in save percentage among goalies with over 1200 minutes played. He ranked much lower than that in goals against average (46th among goalies with 600 minutes) but I believe save pct. is the more dependable stat. One good playoff series doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of better goalies out there. it just means that are a lot of really good goalies.

Lundqvist
Halak
Quick
Smith
Rinne
Price
Lehtonen
Schneider
Rask
Thomas
Elliott
Howard
Kiprusoff
Backstrom
Luongo
Hiller
Miller
Ward
Niemi
Varlamov

The above are in no particlar order and are off the top of my head. You can't go around calling Anderson a top ten goalie when no neutral observer would ever agree. Don't be such a homer.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Ohhh Franco

On the Healthy Scratches today, Shawn Simpson brought up the idea of moving Lehner this off season to bring in a stud D man. He again mentioned drafting Subban and that sending Lehner back to Bingo could be a tough sell. Got me thinking................

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:03 PM
mcnorth

Sorry Ed.

Elliott?

I don't care what his "epic all-time amazing superfan****ingtastic" numbers for this year say. Guy is not even a starter on most NHL teams, and not on his team, and could not be on the Sens this year OR last.

Stats. Save percentage is only useful with a decent sample size to compare goalies on the same team at the same time.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
I believe Anderson finished 27th in the league in save percentage among goalies with over 1200 minutes played. He ranked much lower than that in goals against average (46th among goalies with 600 minutes) but I believe save pct. is the more dependable stat. One good playoff series doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of better goalies out there. it just means that are a lot of really good goalies.

Lundqvist
Halak: i feel like he is a great goaltender but injury issues and hitchcock's solid system inflates his numbers
Quick
Smith: while astounding this year, i need more proof that it wasnt a fluke or again, a product of the system
Rinne
Price
Lehtonen: too injury prone for my liking but very solid nonetheless
Schneider: needs to prove he can carry a team. also plays behind a solid vancouver team.
Rask: see schneider
Thomas: age creeping up
Elliott: we've been here before
Howard: never been a huge fan, i think he's overrated (personal opinion)
Kiprusoff
Backstrom: if healthy, absolutely. but thats never a sure thing.
Luongo: too much drama surrounding bobby lou and im not sold on his mental toughness.
Hiller
Miller
Ward
Niemi:think he's overrated as well (personal opinion)
Varlamov: i just feel like id want him in the future, just not with what we're trying to do and let the young kids play. may shatter his confidence.

The above are in no particlar order and are off the top of my head. You can't go around calling Anderson a top ten goalie when no neutral observer would ever agree. Don't be such a homer.
while im not arguing with your order, PERSONALLY, i would rather andy over the guys who are bolded for various reasons. people tend to forget that ottawa is still a growing team, thus we will be prone to mistakes. we need someone who can face a lot of shots and stay mentally focused if they let one in. andy has proven to be able to do this all year around.

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
I don't give a crap what Andy's numbers say re: top twenty goaltenders and their save pct. etc. We watch the games, we know what kind of quality shots he faced all year. Was there another team that made the play-offs and gave up as many odd man rushes as the Sens? I seriously doubt it. He has been fantastic.
I like you, actually believing in what your eyes tell you and not just running to nothing but statistics, breath of fresh air.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
On the Healthy Scratches today, Shawn Simpson brought up the idea of moving Lehner this off season to bring in a stud D man. He again mentioned drafting Subban and that sending Lehner back to Bingo could be a tough sell. Got me thinking................
Lehner over Bishop any day for me ainec.

But I'd really prefer to keep both. I want to have our own Price/Halak situation someday, and really its way to early in either guys career to be making this decision.

What if Andy ***** the bed next season?

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Sensbrah

Goalies I'd rather have: Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Price, Miller, Ward

Goalies I'd rank on his level: Lehtonen, Halak, Thomas (not in the above category due to age combined with a decline in play this season, even if he was still fantastic), Smith (I'll wait until he does it again before putting him in the above column)

That places Anderson firmly within the top 10 goaltenders in the NHL, at least in my opinion, with him even peaking just outside the top 5. When it comes to a goaltender stats truly don't tell the whole story. You have to watch the games. And there are few I'm as confident in as Andy. Love having him in the Sens net. Hasek may have been a 'better' goalie... but given his health and issues and all the drama that came with them... I still easily consider Anderson our 'best' goalie of all time

Sensbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:05 PM
DukeNukem

Andy owns the position.

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
koreaboy

lehner gets another year to take the bull by the horns in bingo and dominate at the AHL level, playing 60 games for them. maybe he gets into a game or two at the NHL level.

bishop is under contract as our backup and gets 20-25 games in the NHL.

andy is clearly locked in as our no.1 starter, getting 60-65+ games for the next 2 years at least, and in the final year of his contract we either resign him, or trade him if it looks like lehner is the stud no.1 we want him to be by then.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:53 PM
KarlSen

Andy is a leader as well. Last year when he came in he bucked up the whole team, and gave it confidence. That isn't part of any stats pack but is an important intangible. He also rises to the occasion when it's needed. Grant Fuher would be ugly for Gretzky's Oilers often enough, but game on the line and he was money. Anderson brings some of that.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
lehner gets another year to take the bull by the horns in bingo and dominate at the AHL level, playing 60 games for them. maybe he gets into a game or two at the NHL level.

bishop is under contract as our backup and gets 20-25 games in the NHL.

andy is clearly locked in as our no.1 starter, getting 60-65+ games for the next 2 years at least, and in the final year of his contract we either resign him, or trade him if it looks like lehner is the stud no.1 we want him to be by then.
Lehner is ready and should be in the NHL. Look at Holtby - sucked big time in the AHL this year, and look what he's doing now. He doesn't need to prove anything else in the AHL.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:02 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Lehner is ready and should be in the NHL. Look at Holtby - sucked big time in the AHL this year, and look what he's doing now. He doesn't need to prove anything else in the AHL.
What's the correlation between Lehner and Holtby though? I'm sure if I cared enough I could give examples of AHL goalies who weren't good in the AHL and also weren't good in the NHL.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
What's the correlation between Lehner and Holtby though? I'm sure if I cared enough I could give examples of AHL goalies who weren't good in the AHL and also weren't good in the NHL.
Holtby has been very good in the past in the AHL. When he plays in the NHL, he is also very good and looks like an NHL caliber goaltender.

Lehner has been very good in the past in the AHL. When he plays in the NHL, he is also very good and looks like an NHL caliber goaltender.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Alfredsson11

I don't look at Lehner's year in Bingo as a step back. He played on a bad team in a league that plays sloppier hockey. The games that he played with the big club he looked fine. The more games he plays the better he will get.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:07 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Holtby has been very good in the past in the AHL. When he plays in the NHL, he is also very good and looks like an NHL caliber goaltender.

Lehner has been very good in the past in the AHL. When he plays in the NHL, he is also very good and looks like an NHL caliber goaltender.
But Holtby doesn't necessarily = Lehner. I like Lehner and how he plays over Bishop's style actually, but I think Bishop is better suited to be our backup, as neither Bishop nor Lehner are near Andy right now.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
But Holtby doesn't necessarily = Lehner. I like Lehner and how he plays over Bishop's style actually, but I think Bishop is better suited to be our backup, as neither Bishop nor Lehner are near Andy right now.
But you can't just leave Lehner in the minors indefinitely. Lehner is NHL caliber and could have had 25 starts next year. Beats getting 40 starts in Bingo. At some point the guy has to make the jump.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

What I'm most happy about is that he really comes across as a leader: from what I gather he takes charge of things.

What does bother me however is that he looked really pissed after the game 7 loss: normally I wouldn't pay too much attention to that (hell I was pissed off to no end and I didn't even play!) but since we heard about him bailing on the Avalanche I'm worried that he's going to take the loss especially hard. I mean he was as good as can be and his dmen hung him to dry on those two goals I could see how pissed he would be....

These are just musings however I don't think much will come of it but it did bother me how pissed he looked during the handshakes. I mean everybody on the Senators was dissapointed but he looked really really angry.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Paul MacLeans stache

Trade Lehner for a Dman.

Andy starts. If he ***** the bed, Bishop is on the doorstep looking for an opportunity to win the job.

Draft Subban.

Lehner has an ego and attitude problem the size of Texas and I don't see him going back to Bingo for another year. He'll be in Sweden if hes not in Ottawa or traded.

Paul MacLeans stache is offline   Reply With Quote