HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about getting my money back from the Sens

Old
11-27-2012, 12:22 AM
SilverSeven

vCash: 500
Question about getting my money back from the Sens

My STs are about 75% paid at this point. The Sens wont refund me until the games remaining are paid for in full, then they will refund once a month until what they owe me is paid back.

Can I call my CC and claim services not rendered for games that havent been played?

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Perhaps.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Billy Bridges

Dress up like a spartan and go on hunger strike.

Billy Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:10 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
My STs are about 75% paid at this point. The Sens wont refund me until the games remaining are paid for in full, then they will refund once a month until what they owe me is paid back.

Can I call my CC and claim services not rendered for games that havent been played?
I wouldn't give them another cent. Call your CC company and ask them what you can do.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post

Here's the ugly truth about credit cards (ugly from the pov of merchants): you can dispute just about any charge and probably win.

However, in your case, you're more likely to get your money back faster from the Sens than you are to get it back from Mastercard. Disputed charges can take several months to be resolved. Of course, if you're looking for a fun way to be a thorn in their side, this is a good way to go

Call your CC and ask them.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Here's the ugly truth about credit cards (ugly from the pov of merchants): you can dispute just about any charge and probably win.

However, in your case, you're more likely to get your money back faster from the Sens than you are to get it back from Mastercard. Disputed charges can take several months to be resolved. Of course, if you're looking for a fun way to be a thorn in their side, this is a good way to go

Call your CC and ask them.
This is basically correct. I had a fake ITunes charge on my CC (Don't use ITunes, only person using the card) for $100 and called Visa, they made me fill paperwork and refunded the amount to me.

Now in this case there isn't any fraud but the Senators are obviously going to try to bleed your CC for every cent. Just call them and ask them to suspend/cancel payments, then inform the Senators you're unhappy about this and have contacted the CC people...

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:03 AM
BK201

You can't cancel the ST as you either signed a contract or agreed to a virtual contract upon buying the tickets. It's hard to get out of considering there still may have games.

Financially the best bet is to pay it, and get refunded than defaulting on a debt which they will probably claim against your credit score and everything.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Margaret Trudeau*

I would dress like a gladiator and tell MBNA that someone stole my credit card.

Margaret Trudeau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Cowen Time

Interesting question. The Sens and season ticket buyers had a deal, we would pay for tickets for a full season and they would deliver games for us to go to. I paid a large sum of money up front in a lump sum as well.

They haven't held up their end of the bargain, and while their may be games, the Sens can't tell us how many will be played or when they would start.

The team is also tying up my funds and refunding me over 30 days after the games aren't played. Makes it pretty difficult to use those funds to plan for an alternate winter activity, which should by my right. Maybe you want to plan a big vacation with the money, which requires advance planning, or get a Tremblant season pass, etc., etc. By holding STH funds like this, and not being able to tell when or if they can deliver games, they are screwing up people's winter and limiting what the can commit to and do. As the lock-out drags on, the dribble refund policy is becoming more and more dubious.

Seems like a fundamental breach of contract and it is not right that the party who cannot deliver is dictating the terms of the refund, and inhibiting STH from commiting to alternate activities by first holding onto funds and secondly expecting them to wait around and not make commitments for future game nights just in case they will be played. And even then, the league has shown they are likely going to add games and change the schedule if there is any season, which STH are expected to adapt to.

For the OP, the notion that someone has to finish paying for the whole season and then get dribbled back a refund is crazy, and I seriously doubt it would hold up in any court, including small claims. Geezus, they have already cancelled a big part of the season and they are demanding payment for cancelled games, that will then be refunded.

The teams are refunding this way because they know that with a mass refund there is no way in heck that they would sell as many tickets for this year, so they want to lock STH's in against their will if necessary. Tough tookie, it's a cost of doing business when you can't deliver on a contract. As more games are cancelled, the less tenable the teams position is on this.

I would call the Sens, be persistent, and get to higher levels if there is no satisfaction. I would love to see someone take an NHL team to small claims court over this, I don't think it would get there because they know they would probably lose and the media attention would be a killer.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:51 AM
OD99

I have a flex 40 and paid in advance as well. When the option of what to do with funds came up (get refund with 1% interest or let them keep funds and accumulate 5% interest towards future Sens games) I chose the latter believing it would be a short work stoppage.

Last week my optimism was completely shot so I contacted my sale rep and said I wanted my money back - he said he could give me everything except my 10% deposit (which can be used whenever the Sens play again) because they can't provide full refunds based on the agreement.

The funds have not been credited to my account yet but I expect it won't be too long...my situation might be slightly different as conceivably I could have used all 40 tix for the first game but I wouldn't let them tell you no - tell them they will lose your business for future years and I bet they will find a way to get you the majority of your money back.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
This is basically correct. I had a fake ITunes charge on my CC (Don't use ITunes, only person using the card) for $100 and called Visa, they made me fill paperwork and refunded the amount to me.
I work in the cards business - and you guys are a little off track here. That iTunes example is irrelevant to this issue - that's a case where someone stole from you and they refunded it. You can dispute things that are fraud, stolen card number, unauthorized charges etc, but you can't dispute something that you willingly paid for like this, have a contract for, etc. The season ticket thing is a pretty unique situation but going through a 'stop payment' or trying to reverse charges is definitely not going to work.

I think there's probably a good argument that the team hasn't lived up to their contract but they probably protected themselves in the text of the contract for a situation like this and STHs all probably agreed to it. And as usual the key here is that posession is 9/10ths of the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
I have a flex 40 and paid in advance as well. When the option of what to do with funds came up (get refund with 1% interest or let them keep funds and accumulate 5% interest towards future Sens games) I chose the latter believing it would be a short work stoppage.

Last week my optimism was completely shot so I contacted my sale rep and said I wanted my money back - he said he could give me everything except my 10% deposit (which can be used whenever the Sens play again) because they can't provide full refunds based on the agreement.

The funds have not been credited to my account yet but I expect it won't be too long...my situation might be slightly different as conceivably I could have used all 40 tix for the first game but I wouldn't let them tell you no - tell them they will lose your business for future years and I bet they will find a way to get you the majority of your money back.
I'm surprised that the team is acting like this - you would think they would be really concerned about people coming back in the future and would be apologetic about the situation and waive that deposit rule - it's pretty ridiculous that they won't give you your deposit back, they are going to piss a lot of people off just to hold on to a few hundred dollars.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised because legally I don't think they have a foot to stand on if you request a refund.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote