HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 154: St. Pierre vs Condit

Old
11-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
People who think Jones/Silva would be more competitive than Silva/GSP are out of their minds.
Why?

No one (including Jones) can stand with Anderson and if anyone can get around that reach advantage, it's Anderson.

The only chance GSP has is if he can take the bigger and stronger Anderson down and hold him down for 25 minutes. IMO, that's very unlikely to happen. People bring up Sonnen all the time but you're crazy if you think GSP's wrestling is on Sonnen's level. I think GSP will get knocked out.

Anderson is also very good off his back and his BJJ is at an elite level. Neither GSP nor Jones are on his level in that area. IMO, he might lose but he hang with Jones. I can't say the same for GSP against Anderson.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Why?

No one (including Jones) can stand with Anderson and if anyone can get around that reach advantage, it's Anderson.

The only chance GSP has is if he can take the bigger and stronger Anderson down and hold him down for 25 minutes. IMO, that's very unlikely to happen. People bring up Sonnen all the time but you're crazy if you think GSP's wrestling is on Sonnen's level. I think GSP will get knocked out.

Anderson is also very good off his back and his BJJ is at an elite level. Neither GSP nor Jones are on his level in that area. IMO, he might lose but he hang with Jones. I can't say the same for GSP against Anderson.
Jones has shown that no one can stand with him also. I think it would be a close fight on their feet.

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Why?

Jones has more of a size and strength advantage over Silva than Silva has over GSP, and it's not like strength has ever been one of Silva's best attributes anyway. Jones also utilizes his reach better than anybody in MMA and would take Silva down at will. However, the argument could be made that "size" is almost never the deciding factor in who wins or loses a fight when weight classes are involved anyway.

There is also zero doubt in my mind that GSP is capable of taking down Silva, I'm surprised anyone would even suggest otherwise. An extra ten pounds of water weight isn't going to be the difference between Silva stuffing a shot or ending on his back, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that Silva's supposed "strength" advantage would would prevent him from being taken down by the best wrestler in MMA.

I Am Beat You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Jones has shown that no one can stand with him also. I think it would be a close fight on their feet.
I don't at all. I'm not a fan of either fighter, but Silva's speed and accuracy beats Jones' "creative striking" every day of the week. Let's watch Jones go for one of those spinning back kicks or spinning elbows and watch Silva kick him in the face or put a knee into his chest and end the fight.

I don't care about either of the "superfights." I'd rather see contenders get meaningful championship fights.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:11 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Why?

Those are the two of the best MMA wrestlers in the business. They're in the exact same elite class.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:23 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Is it just me or did Condit seem like he did not want to get hit by GSP at all? He got confident for a bit but even after he got the knockdown, George got up and (noticeably still staggered IMO) walked Condit down, Condit backed himself into the cage and just covered up and did nothing as he got hit and taken down.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:29 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why?

The one and IMO biggest thing GSPs wrestling has on Sonnens is brains and strategy, Sonnen uses his pure strength and technicality to impose himself, but he's prone to making dumb mistakes and getting caught. While GSP uses all of the above while being basically perfect with his sub defense and control. He just doesn't make mistakes on the ground. His wrestling is definately on or above Sonnens level, and I'm a huge Sonnen fan. Watching GSP completely neutralize all his opponents is pretty incredible, he may not embarrass them like silva and jones but he makes them look absolutely useless which is just as impressive.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
I don't at all. I'm not a fan of either fighter, but Silva's speed and accuracy beats Jones' "creative striking" every day of the week. Let's watch Jones go for one of those spinning back kicks or spinning elbows and watch Silva kick him in the face or put a knee into his chest and end the fight.

I don't care about either of the "superfights." I'd rather see contenders get meaningful championship fights.
Honestly, I think Jones would destroy Anderson. But that may just be me.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
they said the exact same thing about Koscheck
Yes but one big difference is that Hendricks is pretty good at covering distance quickly which is something Koscheck didn't have. That's something that , combined with his power and wrestling pedigree , could represent a threat to GSP.

Not saying he would win but he does represent and intriguing challenge imho.

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
BGDDYKWL

Hendricks has power that Koscheck doesn't, that's why he poses an interesting threat. I don't think anyone questions the fact that GSP will outwrestle him, but it wouldn't shock me if he caught GSP with something.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Hendricks has power that Koscheck doesn't, that's why he poses an interesting threat. I don't think anyone questions the fact that GSP will outwrestle him, but it wouldn't shock me if he caught GSP with something.
Koscheck does have power. That overright hand of his can probably knock anyone out if it lands flush. The problem is that his striking technique is very rudimentary and he is quite predictable and slow so he doesn't land it very often.

As i said in my previous post the difference is how quickly Hendricks can close the distance to land that power shot of his. Just re-watch Hendricks vs Fitch and Hendricks vs Kampmann and you'll see what i mean.

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Koscheck does have power. That overright hand of his can probably knock anyone out if it lands flush. The problem is that his striking technique is very rudimentary and he is quite predictable and slow so he doesn't land it very often.

As i said in my previous post the difference is how quickly Hendricks can close the distance to land that power shot of his. Just re-watch Hendricks vs Fitch and Hendricks vs Kampmann and you'll see what i mean.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Hendricks has considerably more functional power than Koscheck. Hendricks has finished over half his fights by KO/TKO, whereas with Koscheck it's a fifth. I don't care what their punches would register on Sport Science, the point is Hendricks poses a more interesting threat than Koscheck due to his ability to finish guys (likely has a better chin too).

Old
11-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Yes but one big difference is that Hendricks is pretty good at covering distance quickly which is something Koscheck didn't have. That's something that , combined with his power and wrestling pedigree , could represent a threat to GSP.

Not saying he would win but he does represent and intriguing challenge imho.
I can see Hendricks getting thwarted by St. Pierre's jab in much the same way that Koscheck did.

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Hendricks has considerably more functional power than Koscheck. Hendricks has finished over half his fights by KO/TKO, whereas with Koscheck it's a fifth. I don't care what their punches would register on Sport Science, the point is Hendricks poses a more interesting threat than Koscheck due to his ability to finish guys (likely has a better chin too).
Sure, a more interesting threat than someone like Koscheck but it still won't be a competitive fight. GSP wins easily against Hendricks and against everyone else in the WW division. Someone always gets hyped up as being the guy who could possibly take out GSP but the result is always the same. These guys aren't bad fighters but they're nowhere near GSP's level. If he continues to refuse to move up to MW then you have put someone in there against him and I guess Hendricks would be that guy but all he has is a puncher's chance.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:58 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
GSP couldn't be beat after 19 months and at less then 100% no chance any WW beats him when he is 100% besides i want to see hendricks condit then hendricks mcdonald once rory batters penn

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
kurt
the last emperor

The main and co-main definitely made a bad card great. Amazing fights.

In reading through the thread, it seems nobody wants Silva/Jones more than hardcore GSP fans. Also, suggesting Hendricks has to go through Condit to get GSP? What?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:22 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
The main and co-main definitely made a bad card great. Amazing fights.

In reading through the thread, it seems nobody wants Silva/Jones more than hardcore GSP fans. Also, suggesting Hendricks has to go through Condit to get GSP? What?
what can I say I want to see it I want to see them swing for the fences

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:49 PM
BGDDYKWL

Still a lot of talk about Silva/GSP, including Dana saying it's definitely going to happen. I wouldn't be so sure. I just don't see GSP ever agreeing to it. Condit was bigger than GSP, so Silva will dwarf him. Silva is a big MW, if he doesn't wanna fight Weidman he should look for 205ers to fight, not a 170 pounder. If GSP declines the fight and Anderson declines Weidman, I'd like to see him fight either Rashad, Shogun, or Rampage.

Quote:
Sure, a more interesting threat than someone like Koscheck but it still won't be a competitive fight. GSP wins easily against Hendricks and against everyone else in the WW division. Someone always gets hyped up as being the guy who could possibly take out GSP but the result is always the same. These guys aren't bad fighters but they're nowhere near GSP's level. If he continues to refuse to move up to MW then you have put someone in there against him and I guess Hendricks would be that guy but all he has is a puncher's chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
GSP couldn't be beat after 19 months and at less then 100% no chance any WW beats him when he is 100% besides i want to see hendricks condit then hendricks mcdonald once rory batters penn
I hear what you guys are saying, but I feel like the only guy that could pose somewhat of a threat to GSP is a great wrestler with huge power. Now is Hendricks' wrestling good enough to keep GSP from doing what he does to everyone? Probably not. But I just don't see GSP taking the Silva fight, so my guess is this will be his next opponent.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Still a lot of talk about Silva/GSP, including Dana saying it's definitely going to happen. I wouldn't be so sure. I just don't see GSP ever agreeing to it. Condit was bigger than GSP, so Silva will dwarf him. Silva is a big MW, if he doesn't wanna fight Weidman he should look for 205ers to fight, not a 170 pounder. If GSP declines the fight and Anderson declines Weidman, I'd like to see him fight either Rashad, Shogun, or Rampage.
Condit was taller than GSP. I thought GSP looked much thicker/stronger. GSP is quite large for a WW in my mind.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Every time a new contender comes along to face GSP, everyone lists reasons why he'll pose a threat and beat him and it never happens. Even when he had close to two years off after having a serious injury he still completely dominated his opponent.

I know there are a lot of GSP haters here, but the guy is in a league of his own and no one in the WW division is going to beat him. Not Hendricks and definitely not Diaz.

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:55 PM
kurt
the last emperor

GSP's next opponent should be either Silva or Hendricks. Seriously. If Anderson can come down to a catchweight of 180 or lower, I don't see why there's such a size concern that hardcore GSP fans seem to be so bent out of shape about.

I know Diaz could have drawing potential too, but I'd like to see him get a win when he comes back. We don't need more ridiculous title matchup shenanigans ( la Jones/Sonnen). Diaz vs Demian Maia would be an incredible fight I think. Or any of the top tier guys, like Kampmann, Ellenberger, Sanchez, MacDonald, etc (as you can see I'm avoiding some of the world-class wrestlers).

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
GSP's next opponent should be either Silva or Hendricks. Seriously. If Anderson can come down to a catchweight of 180 or lower, I don't see why there's such a size concern that hardcore GSP fans seem to be so bent out of shape about.

I know Diaz could have drawing potential too, but I'd like to see him get a win when he comes back. We don't need more ridiculous title matchup shenanigans ( la Jones/Sonnen). Diaz vs Demian Maia would be an incredible fight I think. Or any of the top tier guys, like Kampmann, Ellenberger, Sanchez, MacDonald, etc (as you can see I'm avoiding some of the world-class wrestlers).
GSP-Silva, Diaz-Hendricks?

11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
m9

I actually think Kampmann should be up next for Nick Diaz. Hendricks v Rory if he gets by BJ.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:36 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Does anyone else think the Hendrick's KO looks super weird?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:59 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Does anyone else think the Hendrick's KO looks super weird?

It looks like he barely touched him.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote