HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 AM
TK 421
I blame Tarasenko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
He was only 19 that season. Same age as Jaskin right now.
And?

Perhaps you missed the part where Sonne never projected as an NHL scoring line forward. Nor does he have the physical gifts of Jaskin, it's not all about points. If people had high hopes for Sonne...they were deluding themselves. He was never anything more than a potential 4th liner.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:15 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
And?

Perhaps you missed the part where Sonne never projected as an NHL scoring line forward. Nor does he have the physical gifts of Jaskin, it's not all about points. If people had high hopes for Sonne...they were deluding themselves. He was never anything more than a potential 4th liner.
I was just setting the record straight that Sonne tore up juniors as a 19 year old, not as an over ager.

Last edited by MattyMo35: 02-01-2013 at 03:21 AM.
MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:30 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
If you didn't see any reasons to write off Stewart last year, you are either blind or willfully ignorant. The guy mailed it in for most of a season last year. Besides, I merely suggested that Jaskin gives Armstrong something to think about when he considers what length of contract to give Stewart.
I can't help but think of how the Blues brass felt Rod Brind A'mour tanked it in his second year, and they traded him for Ron Sutter. He probably did lift too many weights and got a bit slower, but why dump him? Rod learned from his mistakes and had an outstanding career.

Stewart had an off year. Bulked up too much. He came to camp lighter this year. He took less than his value to prove himself. That's the type of guy I want on my roster. I'm thinking of how to lock this guy up for a few years. Toughness and goal scoring translate in the playoffs. I'd rather see him on opposite wing with Jaskin personally. Jaskin is pretty slick in the corners.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
stlweir

TK, sorry but the reverse is true.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
And?

You really seem to have forgotten history. Sonne was projected as a possible 2/3 center. Actually McRea was also seen as a potentional 2/3 center as well.

After Jaskin's last poor season people were writing him off. I am not saying Jaskin will or will not be a good NHLer it's important to note that he wont be as physically dominant in NHL as he is in the CHL though.

To expect a prospect to replace a proven NHL player leads is poor management decisions. Look at how Etem was tearing up the league last season. He's not having nearly the success in the AHL this season.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Redgren Grumbholdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
You really seem to have forgotten history. Sonne was projected as a possible 2/3 center. Actually McRea was also seen as a potentional 2/3 center as well.

After Jaskin's last poor season people were writing him off. I am not saying Jaskin will or will not be a good NHLer it's important to note that he wont be as physically dominant in NHL as he is in the CHL though.

To expect a prospect to replace a proven NHL player leads is poor management decisions. Look at how Etem was tearing up the league last season. He's not having nearly the success in the AHL this season.
Sonne was never going to be a 2nd line center, his ceiling was certainly that of a 3rd/4th liner. Bleh skill and average-below average physical ability, there was never anything about him that was exceptional and very little about him that was even above average. Even after his big season, people still knew his ceiling wasnt that high. You dont just become a scoring line type player as a 19 year old.

Redgren Grumbholdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Sonne was never going to be a 2nd line center, his ceiling was certainly that of a 3rd/4th liner. Bleh skill and average-below average physical ability, there was never anything about him that was exceptional and very little about him that was even above average. Even after his big season, people still knew his ceiling wasnt that high. You dont just become a scoring line type player as a 19 year old.
Sonne's breakout season was right after he lost a lot of weight as he was a chubby kid. The lose of weight and improved conditioning was credited with his improved play at the time.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Unless you're David Perron.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Unless you're David Perron.
True, but Perron's physical skills were never in question. With him (and his brother) the question was always whether character would allow him to play on a team or not.

He still has moments when he makes me shake my head in frustration.
Of course that is often balanced with times when he makes the play that I am unsure if more than two or three others in the NHL could.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Redgren Grumbholdt

Quote:
Sonne's breakout season was right after he lost a lot of weight as he was a chubby kid. The lose of weight and improved conditioning was credited with his improved play at the time.
Has nothing to do with the fact that he simply never, ever had the skill to be a 2nd line player. He was drafted as a grinder/defensive/checker, pure and simple.

And Perron was a scorer his only year in the Q (as an 18 year old, not 19 like Sonne), and was a big part of the offense for a Memorial Cup team. He was also the highest scoring U-18 guy in the AAA league he played in the year before that.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the fact that he simply never, ever had the skill to be a 2nd line player. He was drafted as a grinder/defensive/checker, pure and simple.

And Perron was a scorer his only year in the Q (as an 18 year old, not 19 like Sonne), and was a big part of the offense for a Memorial Cup team. He was also the highest scoring U-18 guy in the AAA league he played in the year before that.
You're right on. Pulled a Bobby Bassen his last year of juniors. Defensive guy at best.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:

What people were saying about Sonne in 2008-2009

12-10-2008, 08:02 AM
travellingman345

Hi Zundo,

"Sonne had another huge night in Everett yesterday. A hat trick and an assist.

I am terrible at comparing how he looks to other players. But one player for the past that he kind of reminds me is Dale Hawerchuk??? Plays with very high skill. Can score and set up goals. Sees the ice very well. Quick and steady hands. Makes smart decisions on the ice. Plays with a little bit of an edge. However, it is so hard to tell how he might do if he makes the NHL.

I would love to say he would be a number 1 or 2 center down the road. He is dominating at this level, but the NHL is a whole new ball of wax. I look at players like Dustin Boyd who was a big star in Moose Jaw a few years back. Now he is in the NHL with Calgary, but he is playing on the 3rd and 4th line - basically as a plugger. As far as I am concerned his talent is being wasted with the Flames. They need to put him with some talented line mates to show off his skill.

As for Sonne, I think he could be at 60 to 80 point guy in the NHL if playing with the right people. Other wise I really don't know what to tell you. It's a wait and see what happens kind of thing. I just know that right now he is very exciting to watch, along with the whole Hitmen Team."

14. Brett Sonne, C (STL, 07)
May 16, 1989
6, 185 pounds.
Calgary Hitmen

A veteran of over 270 WHL games, Brett Sonne has rebounded from a broken ankle last year that kept him out of 43 regular season games. Offensively gifted, Sonne is a left-handed shooting playmaker who exercises patience in the attacking zone.

A member of the gold-medal winning Team Canada at the 2009 WJC, Sonne skates on a forward unit with overage Kyle Bortis and Carson McMillan (MIN). The Maple Ridge, B.C. native has been on a tear offensively, posting 31 points since returning from the WJC. He has scored 26 goals in his last 24 games.

Selected in the third round, 85th overall, Sonne is second among WHL goal scorers to teammate Joel Broda (WAS). Through 53 games, Sonne has scored 42 goals and 47 assists and a plus-33 rating.

"I've watched a few Hitmen games and the only time I've ever noticed Sonne is when he makes a big hit and he does that fairly often.

I'd equate Sonne to Kesler almost.

The potential is there."

"His point production in his early years was hampered by lack of ice time (and PP time). He came back this year on a stacked team which no doubt helped his production.
He's a solid, coachable player who is respected by his teammates. He has a work ethic like his coach, Dave Lowry. His skating is average to above average, his positioning and reading of the game is very good and his work ethic is excellent.
I think hisgame translates well into the NHL, either as a checking player or as a guy who could add some secondary scoring, but a real reliable player. Maybe a smaller version of Joel otto? I think he is going to turn into a very dependable pro, who a lot of teams will covet. I don't think his ppg will be very high, but that's ok for the sort of role he will play....."

While there were some that saw him as a 3rd line guy there are others that saw him as a 2nd line center as well.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Redgren Grumbholdt

Quote:
What people were saying about Sonne in 2008-2009

While there were some that saw him as a 3rd line guy there are others that saw him as a 2nd line center as well.
That is one mans opinion, but it is all about realistic expectations. He had 21 points in 64 games his 16 year old season, 30 points in 71 games his draft year, 20 in 29 the next season. NOTHING about him signaled he was going to be a scoring line player. He was always highly regarded as a defensive forward, not so much as an offensive player.

If you are making a point about not getting too excited about Jaskin, fair enough. Its completely different players and situations though. One reason comparing players is kind of silly.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
That is one mans opinion, but it is all about realistic expectations. He had 21 points in 64 games his 16 year old season, 30 points in 71 games his draft year, 20 in 29 the next season. NOTHING about him signaled he was going to be a scoring line player. He was always highly regarded as a defensive forward, not so much as an offensive player.

If you are making a point about not getting too excited about Jaskin, fair enough. Its completely different players and situations though. One reason comparing players is kind of silly.
His impressive season was after returning from an injury. He was injured his draft season. That was multiple peoples opinions in that post. After losing weight and recovering from an injury his stats jumping was seen as a sign of finally being fully recovered from his injury. You see the parallel there with Jaskin as he is seen as finally being healthy as well.

BTW I am not saying the same thing will happen with Jaskin. I am just pointing out that there are past prospects that played great in the CHL that didn't live up to expectations. It's good to be excited about Jaskin but when people are saying that he makes current NHLers expendable is when I think people should be let up on their expectations a little bit for him.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
stlweir

I always thought of Sonne as a potential checking center who could bang and offer some offense. The majority were hopefull that he would be an NHLers but most were realistic. There are no guarantees about any player, that's no news flash. Here is what I see. Jaskin has the size and an NHL body. Soft hands, good hard shot, has some creativity and likes to bang. He is what you want in a power forward. My only question is can he skate at an NHL level? Wildcat says yes. We'll see. He may end up as the Blues top prospect by the end of the season.

Last edited by stlweir: 02-01-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Correction
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:58 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
I always thought of Sonne as a potential checking center who could bang and offer some offense. The majority were hopefull that he would be an NHLers but most were realistic. There are no guarantees about any player, that's no news flash. Here is what I see. Jaskin has the size and an NHL body. Soft hands, good hard shot, has some creativity and likes to bang. He is what you want in a power forward. My only question is can he skate at an NHL level? Wildcat says yes. We'll see. He may end up as the Blues top prospect by the end of the season.
I don't want people to think I am not excited about Jaskin because I am. I just personally want to wait until he at least plays a full season in the AHL before I get my hopes to high for him. Our Riverman team should have a pretty good bump in talent next season just by adding Jaskin and Rattie. I just wish we had a high level center prospect to go with them.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Robb_K

Great pass by Backes and great tip out of mid air by Berglund!

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Thallis
#FREERATTIE

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Great pass by Backes and great tip out of mid air by Berglund!
You are not doing well with the threads tonight.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:56 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
I saw that too. I was just going to let him go.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Well, I'm old. No short term memory left.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Well, I'm old. No short term memory left.
I was trying to take care of you Robb, but I couldn't get all the posts moved into the GDT before you were called out.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
TK 421
I blame Tarasenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I can't help but think of how the Blues brass felt Rod Brind A'mour tanked it in his second year, and they traded him for Ron Sutter. He probably did lift too many weights and got a bit slower, but why dump him? Rod learned from his mistakes and had an outstanding career.

Stewart had an off year. Bulked up too much. He came to camp lighter this year. He took less than his value to prove himself. That's the type of guy I want on my roster. I'm thinking of how to lock this guy up for a few years. Toughness and goal scoring translate in the playoffs. I'd rather see him on opposite wing with Jaskin personally. Jaskin is pretty slick in the corners.
Rod the Bod was a way more involved player though. Talk about dedication, guy was one of the most chiseled league wide.

I'm not seeing the similarity and my problem with Stewart has nothing to do with how he trains in any case. It's his hesitancy and reluctance to use his body to it's full extent. It's a distinct lack of passion and energy that's been noted going back to his draft year. You say it was just a bad year. I say it's likely he'll be frustrating for longer stretches than I'm going to be cool with during the course of a multi-year. I don't feel comfortable giving him a multi-year even if he has a great season. I see a guy that gets comfortable and then the effort level drops. I hope I'm wrong, as you said, it would be nice to have a goal scorer that can punch people's chiclets right out of their mouth.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:51 AM
TK 421
I blame Tarasenko

Quote:

You and I have very different standards for "proven NHL player". But I'm not here to write an essay on Chris Stewart, so I'll just agree to disagree.

I was one of the people who wrote off Jaskin last year due to a combo of his poor stats and my dislike of the Czech scout's forward picks. As you might imagine, I'm liking him LOTS better now. I am officially forgiving him for Tomas Kana over Clutterbuck in 2006.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:55 AM
TK 421
I blame Tarasenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
TK, sorry but the reverse is true.
Which part weir?

Old
02-03-2013, 01:16 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
You and I have very different standards for "proven NHL player". But I'm not here to write an essay on Chris Stewart, so I'll just agree to disagree.

I was one of the people who wrote off Jaskin last year due to a combo of his poor stats and my dislike of the Czech scout's forward picks. As you might imagine, I'm liking him LOTS better now. I am officially forgiving him for Tomas Kana over Clutterbuck in 2006.
Are you seriously questioning if Stewart someone that scored 28 goals twice is a proven NHL player? I am pretty sure just about any team would take him on their NHL roster. You seem to be to fickle with players and let one good or bad season cloud your judgement to much. When people were writing Jaskin off I was one of the people defending him because it was to early to write him off. Now its ironic that I am one of the people telling people they should lessen their expectations until he proves he can perform at the AHL level.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 02-03-2013 at 01:56 AM.