HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
02-03-2013, 05:43 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Well, I'm old. No short term memory left.
This, I know the feeling Robb_K

Ok, now back to Jaskin, since this is his 1st year in the QMJHL after playing in Czech in his draft year , does Jaskin have another year in the QMJHL left before turning pro?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Alklha

He'll be in the AHL or NHL next season. Depending on how far the Wildcats go in the playoffs, he might finish this season in Peoria.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:33 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
He'll be in the AHL or NHL next season. Depending on how far the Wildcats go in the playoffs, he might finish this season in Peoria.
Thanks for the info Alklha.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Blues0307

The comparison between Sonne and Jaskin is weak. Very few people thought Sonna would be anything more than a 3rd or 4th line player. In fact, some kept trying to temper expectations based on his final season due to his limited ability. Jaskin has a much better skill set and a higher ceiling.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Here are my expectations for Jaskin: he will become a 2nd/3rd line winger in the NHL.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Here are my expectations for Jaskin: he will become a 2nd/3rd line winger in the NHL.
Those seem decently realistic. I'm just in the camp of waiting for him to attend a Blues training camp and playing a full season in the AHL before I really judge him. 2014-2015 is the earliest I would expect to see him on the Blues roster. Even then if he makes the team I think 20-40 points would be what you should expect out of him his first few seasons in the NHL.

As of now I think top end for Jaskin is 20-25 goals and around 50 points. Maybe a full year in the AHL will change my opinion though.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:54 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
I've watched him play almost every game this season and would agree with those expectations. I believe he will reach his ceiling and be a second line NHLer. On top of that, he won't take long to get there either. Like I mentioned before , I expect him to play next season in Peoria and make the jump for the 2014-15 season.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:17 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Pretty much. Maybe a more talented Sobotka.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Pretty much. Maybe a more talented Sobotka.
A "Sobotka" who scores 20-25 goals and 40-50 points year in and year out in The NHL is not a "Sobotka". I believe he'll be at LEAST a good 3rd liner, and, if all goes well, a decent 2nd liner in The NHL. A "power forward" with soft hands. Have The Blues ever had one of those? He's not going to have a game quite like Tkachuk. Every player has a different mix of qualities.

The bottom line is that he's got the tools to make it in The NHL

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:37 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I was using Sobotka as a reference because of Jaskin's determination along the boards and such. Oshie has some of the qualities of a power forward, but nowhere near the size. It's really tough to peg Jaskin, especially if we limit it to former Blues. He reminds me of Landeskog and Jagr the most style-wise, but he's clearly not as talented.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:24 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Are you seriously questioning if Stewart someone that scored 28 goals twice is a proven NHL player? I am pretty sure just about any team would take him on their NHL roster. You seem to be to fickle with players and let one good or bad season cloud your judgement to much. When people were writing Jaskin off I was one of the people defending him because it was to early to write him off. Now its ironic that I am one of the people telling people they should lessen their expectations until he proves he can perform at the AHL level.
You can go ahead and back the assumption train up. Looks like we need to clear a few things up.

As I said, our definitions vary. I saw things I didn't like about Stewarts game from day 1 and he hasn't done anything to change my mind.

Our Czech scout blew a 31st overall on Tomas Kana in 2006. I've held it against him for 5 years and it was more of a factor for me than Jaskins stats last year. Think about how little Kana has done since being drafted and maybe you can begin to see why I might doubt another pick of his who then proceded to have a crap year stats wise. I didn't just look at the stat line and proclaim him a bust, there were obviously other factors involved for me. On top of that, my pick was Clutterbuck at 31st or 64th in 2006.

The bottom line here is you started this. I made a comment praising Jaskin saying he could affect how Armstrong approaches Stewart. You decided to challenge that idea insinuating I was jumping the gun. I didn't say trade him right now and immediately get Jaskin up here. I simply suggested he could help make up for another Stewart letdown sometime over the next two seasons. You just took offense to the idea that Stewart is replaceable and then failed miserably with your little cautionary tale where Brett Sonne let you down.

Last edited by TK 421: 02-04-2013 at 02:32 AM.
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:30 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Keep in mind, scouts are trying to predict the outcome of 17 year old kids for the draft. I say 17, because they watch them for a year and draft them at 18. I really wish they would move the draft age back to 19 or 20 with the exception being a phenom of a kid that must be drafted in the first round say top 10-15 picks, and is not eligible to be sent to the minors. I liked the days of your drafted player being able to step right onto your roster or being closer to it.

Kana's scouting report and play at the time dictated his draft position. I liked the pick, but it is such a crapshoot drafting projecting players. Jaskin I thought was looking Kanaesque last year, but surprised us all. Let's just hope his skills translate to the next level. I like the notion of a 40-50 point guy for Jaskin as well. We'll see.....

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:49 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
You can go ahead and back the assumption train up. Looks like we need to clear a few things up.

As I said, our definitions vary. I saw things I didn't like about Stewarts game from day 1 and he hasn't done anything to change my mind.

Our Czech scout blew a 31st overall on Tomas Kana in 2006. I've held it against him for 5 years and it was more of a factor for me than Jaskins stats last year. Think about how little Kana has done since being drafted and maybe you can begin to see why I might doubt another pick of his who then proceded to have a crap year stats wise. I didn't just look at the stat line and proclaim him a bust, there were obviously other factors involved for me. On top of that, my pick was Clutterbuck at 31st or 64th in 2006.

The bottom line here is you started this. I made a comment praising Jaskin saying he could affect how Armstrong approaches Stewart. You decided to challenge that idea insinuating I was jumping the gun. I didn't say trade him right now and immediately get Jaskin up here. I simply suggested he could help make up for another Stewart letdown sometime over the next two seasons. You just took offense to the idea that Stewart is replaceable and then failed miserably with your little cautionary tale where Brett Sonne let you down.

The problem with Kana is that he got stars in his eye's at getting promoted to the AHL, stopped hitting the weight room and lost all of his energy on the ice. The kids calling card was his work ethic and drive, and he lost that when he moved up to the AHL. He drove himself out of the League and there is nothing any scout could have done to foresee that.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

Do we even know if we have the same Czech scout?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:10 PM
stlweir

How many 2nd round picks make it in the NHL? 20% maybe. Missing on a second round pick is not blowing it. Kana at least saw a few games in the NHL. Since 2000 the Blues scored with McClement in 01, Backes in 02, then Kana in 06, Palushaj in 07, McRae and Allen in 08. Two years besides 08 the Blues had 2 second round picks that didn't make it. Over the course of 11 years the Blues had 14 second round picks, two players have played regularly, 4 have had a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Last edited by stlweir: 02-04-2013 at 03:26 PM.
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
How many 2nd round picks make it in the NHL? 20% maybe. Missing on a second round pick is not blowing it. Kana at least saw a few games in the NHL. Since 2000 the Blues scored with McClement in 01, Backes in 02, then Kana in 06, Palushaj in 07, McRae and Allen in 08. Two years besides 08 the Blues had 2 second round picks that didn't make it. Over the course of 11 years the Blues had 14 second round picks, two players have played regularly, 4 have had a cup of coffee in the NHL.
Yeah, while we have had particular trouble in the 2nd round of late, you have to look at the entire draft to evaluate the scouts. From 2003-2010, it seems that we have done a pretty good job of getting 2-3 NHL players from each draft. With the exception of the Petro pick our 08-09 drafts were pretty bad though. Rundblad got us Tarasenko, so that is also nice, but who else is an NHLer from those two classes? Allen maybe, Lehtera and McRae seem doubtful at this point, Ponich hasnt developed well to this point either.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:46 PM
zico20

I remember when we drafted Ponich I could not believe it. He was projected as a 3rd to 5th round pick by alot of experts. We should have held off until the next round.

zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:56 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Yeah, while we have had particular trouble in the 2nd round of late, you have to look at the entire draft to evaluate the scouts. From 2003-2010, it seems that we have done a pretty good job of getting 2-3 NHL players from each draft. With the exception of the Petro pick our 08-09 drafts were pretty bad though. Rundblad got us Tarasenko, so that is also nice, but who else is an NHLer from those two classes? Allen maybe, Lehtera and McRae seem doubtful at this point, Ponich hasnt developed well to this point either.
'08: Petro obviously. Allen definitely has the chance to be. So does Nigro. Lehtera is there, but in the KHL. Not a bad draft at all.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:55 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
'08: Petro obviously. Allen definitely has the chance to be. So does Nigro. Lehtera is there, but in the KHL. Not a bad draft at all.
The funny thing is I remember some Blues fans being disappointed in the Pietrangelo pick. One poster on the old Blues message board was mad we didn't take Filitov because they though we needed a high skill forward since we already had EJ.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The funny thing is I remember some Blues fans being disappointed in the Pietrangelo pick. One poster on the old Blues message board was mad we didn't take Filitov because they though we needed a high skill forward since we already had EJ.
Filatov would have been a star because Hitch wasnt here to ruin him.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:16 PM
stlweir

Jeff Gordon for one called Pie a bust because he went back for his last year of juniors. Drafting is not an exact science. Players mature at different times. I'm excited about Rattie and Jaskin. The Blues have additional picks this year as well.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:33 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Keep in mind, scouts are trying to predict the outcome of 17 year old kids for the draft. I say 17, because they watch them for a year and draft them at 18. I really wish they would move the draft age back to 19 or 20 with the exception being a phenom of a kid that must be drafted in the first round say top 10-15 picks, and is not eligible to be sent to the minors. I liked the days of your drafted player being able to step right onto your roster or being closer to it.

Kana's scouting report and play at the time dictated his draft position. I liked the pick, but it is such a crapshoot drafting projecting players. Jaskin I thought was looking Kanaesque last year, but surprised us all. Let's just hope his skills translate to the next level. I like the notion of a 40-50 point guy for Jaskin as well. We'll see.....
This.

Drafting 18 year olds you just never know what to expect. The NHL draft was changed from 20 years old ( the exception being 1974 and 1976 due to bidding wars with the WHA ) to 18 after the WHA-NHL Merger in 1979. I'm all in favor of changing it back but it will never happen.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:23 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
From where I was sitting screaming, "Clutterbuck! Clutterbuck! Take him now!" at BOTH 31st and 64th(lots of expletives added at 64th), yes they blew it. I understand if many of you didn't see it that way.

Back on topic, Jaskin with prospect of the month for January. Awesome for him and exciting for us. Does he have a a good shot at CHL player of the year? What do you guys think?

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:07 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
From where I was sitting screaming, "Clutterbuck! Clutterbuck! Take him now!" at BOTH 31st and 64th(lots of expletives added at 64th), yes they blew it. I understand if many of you didn't see it that way.

Back on topic, Jaskin with prospect of the month for January. Awesome for him and exciting for us. Does he have a a good shot at CHL player of the year? What do you guys think?
you mean QMJHL right?

Old
02-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
you mean QMJHL right?
CHL player of the year is the best player from the QMJHL, WHL & OHL.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote