HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
02-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

vCash: 500
Honestly, the most I would be willing to give Amac is a 1 year deal of 2-2.5 million. He's clearly lost a step in all areas of his game, even areas that shouldn't really deteriorate with age such as his hockey IQ. It feels like he's making bad decisions in the offensive zones and making bad turnovers constantly. His passing game has been weak this year too, I can't be the only one who's noticed his passes have been intercepted a lot more often.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:26 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
Ok guys, leadership was the wrong word, experience would have been better I guess

Anyway, my point still stands. I like our youngsters as much as everyone here but look at last years POs:
Who was our leading scorer?
Hint: he wears a ring
And while Langenbrunners stats don't look as good he was one of the better players when things went bad against LA. He hit, fought, was vocal and led by example.

No doubt Steen and Backes are good leaders and no doubt this theory team would be a good regular season team but I don't think its enough to win a cup.

Maybe its all different after this season and after a deep run but if not, then IMO the forward corps would be too inexperienced
Understandable argument. I'm in the wait and see camp. Let's see where McDonald's game is in the playoffs this year. Also after the trade deadline we'll possibly have a clearer picture of where things stand on LW and how soon there's room for Jaskin. Blues have McDonald, Perron, Steen, Schwartz, Sobotka, Jaskin as LW guys. I put Steen there because that's where he's best suited.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:59 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I think McDonald is moving into the Arnott/Langenbrunner category. Yes...you need veteran leadership, but no they probably are not full time players anymore. Yes...They do need to dress ever so often. McDonald is not playing the same game as he once did. It is obvious. There will be nights he has more spring in his step. That being said, I think you can pencil Jaskin in this slot next year or someone else in the lineup. I disagree with Pocketnines regarding Stewart, but I still think you have to keep Stewart's game in your arsenal. If it is between Amac and Stewart, then I keep Stewart.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

so, to finish my thoughts about Jaskin and the line-up next year...

its easy, if he makes it out of camp and trainers think he`s ready they have to make room for him, as they did for Jaden

but finally it all depends on the direction the Blues are heading this season
yes Amac lost a step but I fully expect him to be a go-to guy in the POs again
if he fails or we don`t even get into the POs there is no real reason to re-sign him (and I wouldn`t re-sign him for more than 2,5 either, in any which way)

and when I talked about not likeing the idea of Amac out and Dimitri in for him...well, its not all about Amac, he`s just the logic choice for filling the vet-job but not the only option
if we, per example, let him go and sign or trade for another guy instead...let`s say a 2nd or 3rd line centerman, 31-34 yrs old, who already centerd a top-6 for a cup-winner or a finalist.
not a guy like Arnott of course, someone younger and hungrier and faster.
now I`ll let it go, the rest wouldn`t belong here anyway.

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Super Jaskin is the next Jagr.

Paulinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:28 AM
SFKingshomer

Blues have quite a nice stable of prospects. Heck of a job by their scouting staff.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Dr. J with 4 points tonight.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Alklha

Yannick Veilleux also with 2G & 2A tonight, and first star.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Dr. J with 4 points tonight.
This kid is simply amazing. Digging the nickname, btw...we should stick with that.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Yannick Veilleux also with 2G & 2A tonight, and first star.
I think the kid could end up a decent NHLer. He needs to boost the intensity in his game a bit, but with improved skating he could make the jump eventually IMO.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:06 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I think the kid could end up a decent NHLer. He needs to boost the intensity in his game a bit, but with improved skating he could make the jump eventually IMO.
I doubt Veilleux develops into anything more than a 4th liner and the last thing he NEEDS is a boost of intensity to be honest. He's probably one of the most intense players shift in , shift out in the entire league. I agree to take the next step , he needs to improve his foot speed and skating. I think he'll develop into an Alexandre Bolduc(stats wise, fringe NHLer/decent AHLer). In fact , I think that's a very realistic compairison for him except Veilleux plays wing.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:40 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
I doubt Veilleux develops into anything more than a 4th liner and the last thing he NEEDS is a boost of intensity to be honest. He's probably one of the most intense players shift in , shift out in the entire league. I agree to take the next step , he needs to improve his foot speed and skating. I think he'll develop into an Alexandre Bolduc(stats wise, fringe NHLer/decent AHLer). In fact , I think that's a very realistic compairison for him except Veilleux plays wing.
And the Blues drafted both.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:26 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
And the Blues drafted both.
I know. I was trying to compare him to someone you guys were familiar with.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The Des Moines Institute? We're familiar with it.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Alklha

Another goal & assist for him tonight. Veilleux also had a goal.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:23 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Another goal & assist for him tonight. Veilleux also had a goal.
Another great game. Veilleux is playing like a man possesed. Jaskin had 1 goal and 1 assist but was a big reason why his line mate (Danault) had 2 goals and 2 assists.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
h22prelude93

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:21 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

So at this point with injuries, why not sign and call up Jaskin or Rattie for a 10 game cameo to see what we have. Couldn't be any worse than running out Murray.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
So at this point with injuries, why not sign and call up Jaskin or Rattie for a 10 game cameo to see what we have. Couldn't be any worse than running out Murray.
Jaskin isnt even signed, and the rule is 6 games now (I think). Their teams are gearing up for the playoffs, and neither has ever really practiced or played with the Blues. Very long shot to work and Id rather they get experience in the CHL playoffs. You cant expect a player cant just go from juniors to the NHL and immediately contribute, both would look out of place IMO.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:50 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Because an experienced vet on the 4th line is way better than someone who has never even had an NHL practice.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Two different situations. Rattie isn't ready to be thrown into the NHL.

Jaškin might be ready but doesn't have a contract, has never been around the team and is currently in a good spot with his junior team. Also, is we signed Jaškin, his contract would not be eligible for the slide rule, this would be the first year.

No major upside in calling either up.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:28 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

From what Armstrong was saying, we need someone skilled with some grit and not afraid to go to the net. Jaskin leads in hits night in and night out and likes to bang with his size......?????? 6 games? He is hardly challenged where he is now.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
From what Armstrong was saying, we need someone skilled with some grit and not afraid to go to the net. Jaskin leads in hits night in and night out and likes to bang with his size......?????? 6 games? He is hardly challenged where he is now.
Like I said, he has never even had a NHL practice. He won't be in the NHL this season AINEC. Maybe next season.

Don't forget he is playing against teens, most of whom will never play in the NHL. Remember Pietrangelo's cameo's?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:45 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Like I said, he has never even had a NHL practice. He won't be in the NHL this season AINEC. Maybe next season.

Don't forget he is playing against teens, most of whom will never play in the NHL. Remember Pietrangelo's cameo's?
I do. Forwards are a bit different than defensemen. Look at how some of the 1st round picks have faired this year in the NHL at 18 out of the Q and W. Jaskin is THE dominate player in the Q. In the past, the Blues have jumped with kids right into the playoffs and used them. Jaskin may be younger, but size wise he isn't immature ala Schwartz and played with men last year. I don't think his learning curve will be as great. He might struggle a bit, but it could be good for him to learn adjustments he needs to make.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Alklha

We probably don't want to burn a year of his ELC, which is what will happen if he plays even 1 game.

Doing it with Schwartz last year was a 1 off. Schwartz's next contract will be a little lower, but we'll still be paying him more in 2014/15 than we would have if we didn't use him last year. Doing the same for Jaškin with no real urgent need and when every $ counts in coming years isn't the best idea.