HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Why wouldn't they want him to get in some practice time, get an assessment? It'd be like seeing him in camp before the summer moves get made. Last year the Blues had like 30 players up on the roster in the playoffs. If they get a look at him side-by-side with established NHLers and think he can hang, it gives them flexibility in moves they can make this summer. If he looks 1-2 years away, it informs Armstrong why he might not want to make any moves right away (or maybe he's more comfortable packaging Jaskin).

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
So could Jaskin only play 5 games or less for the Blues? I thought he was just signing for this season with Peoria, not the Blues. If he is eligible to play in STL, I agree we dont see him unless we lose another 1-2 top 9 guys to injury
If the Blues have signed Jaškin to an ELC starting this year, then his first year is used whether he play 0 games or our last 14 games. If he has signed the same deal as Yannick Veilleux/Ryan Tesink/Joel Edmundson, then he is not eligible to play for the Blues until next season when his 3 year ELC starts.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Don't forget Schwartz got called up to play last year for a few games. If Jaskin comes up from injuries he would still only be playing on the 3rd line.
Difference is, we have to win games down the stretch, last season it wasn't a must. Schwartz is on the 4th line when we are healthy, Jaskin doesn't sniff the roster when we are healthy. I wouldn't put Jaskin in unless we had another 2 injuries to the top 9. Porter gets the next spot in the top 9, then I'd consider Jaskin.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Why wouldn't they want him to get in some practice time, get an assessment? It'd be like seeing him in camp before the summer moves get made. Last year the Blues had like 30 players up on the roster in the playoffs. If they get a look at him side-by-side with established NHLers and think he can hang, it gives them flexibility in moves they can make this summer. If he looks 1-2 years away, it informs Armstrong why he might not want to make any moves right away (or maybe he's more comfortable packaging Jaskin).
Could make Perron expendable in the off-season.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
That's the most I'd go and it makes sense, I just doubt he actually sees time unless we lock up a seed with only a game or 2 left.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:42 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If the Blues have signed Jaškin to an ELC starting this year, then his first year is used whether he play 0 games or our last 14 games. If he has signed the same deal as Yannick Veilleux/Ryan Tesink/Joel Edmundson, then he is not eligible to play for the Blues until next season when his 3 year ELC starts.
But they still have 7 more years of his services, per our earlier discussion on Schwartz. He'd be done with his ELC a year earlier but much less likely to have hit enough production to command real $$.

That said, let's wait til we hear it from a real journalist. Strickland bats worse than 50/50 on things like this, as he is very bad at his job.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Could make Perron expendable in the off-season.
I think only Perron makes himself expendable. He either "buys-in" or he doesn't. That will be the deciding factor.

Old
BlueDream

Quote:
They did?

Your assessment makes sense though.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alklha

Quote:
But they still have 7 more years of his services, per our earlier discussion on Schwartz. He'd be done with his ELC a year earlier but much less likely to have hit enough production to command real $$.

That said, let's wait til we hear it from a real journalist. Strickland bats worse than 50/50 on things like this, as he is very bad at his job.
I can understand the argument for signing him to this season and getting up and having a look, which is fair enough. The lost ELC year will make his next deal cheaper and we'll have a grasp of what we have going into next season.

What Stickland said about getting it done before the deadline makes no sense though. Schwartz was signed after the deadline last year and played, so unless the rules have changed...

Old
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
They did?

Your assessment makes sense though.
Yeah they had lots of Peoria guys up. If you look at the box scores from playoff games you see how many healthy scratches there were.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Where were we on contracts? Did we have to move Redden to make sure Jaskin fit under the 50? That would suggest that his contract would start now and not July 1st.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I can understand the argument for signing him to this season and getting up and having a look, which is fair enough. The lost ELC year will make his next deal cheaper and we'll have a grasp of what we have going into next season.

What Stickland said about getting it done before the deadline makes no sense though. Schwartz was signed after the deadline last year and played, so unless the rules have changed...
You won't get an argument from me that Andy Strickland typically has no idea what he's talking about. He spells like a third grader, is a relentless self-hype machine ("As I reported earlier ...") and doesn't know half the rules. If he and JR did a Mice and Men remake, we know who'd be Lenny.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Yeah they had lots of Peoria guys up. If you look at the box scores from playoff games you see how many healthy scratches there were.
Pretty sure they had the regular 23 guys on the playoff roster. Rosters weren't expanded like they are now. They just had the usual Porter/Reaves, Cole, etc. scratched.

Lol at Strickland though. That is pretty true.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
You won't get an argument from me that Andy Strickland typically has no idea what he's talking about. He spells like a third grader, is a relentless self-hype machine ("As I reported earlier ...") and doesn't know half the rules. If he and JR did a Mice and Men remake, we know who'd be Lenny.
Haha, that's awesome.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Bluesman91

Norm Sanders ‏@NormSanders
If Blues Player Development Director Tim Taylor says "Jaskin is an NHL-ready combination of size and skill," that says a lot #stlblues

Old
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
If Blues Player Development Director Tim Taylor says "Jaskin is an NHL-ready combination of size and skill," that says a lot #stlblues
Maybe he does get called up then.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Wait, The Toolman is our Development Director?

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Pretty sure they had the regular 23 guys on the playoff roster. Rosters weren't expanded like they are now. They just had the usual Porter/Reaves, Cole, etc. scratched.

Lol at Strickland though. That is pretty true.
I count 31 here.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

LA scratched an entire team lol.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
I count 31 here.
Wow I had no idea most of those guys were even up here. What the? Did anyone else know that?

Old
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Where were we on contracts? Did we have to move Redden to make sure Jaskin fit under the 50? That would suggest that his contract would start now and not July 1st.
I'm pretty sure we were at 49 this morning, so we had space to add him this year. Redden was just a standard move.

Quote:

I hope we do get a look at him this year, I'm too curious about our prospects to be patient! I will be surprised if we do see him. Our lack of scoring depth outside our roster and the Oshie injury which Hitch suggested might be a week-to-week situation, it would make sense to have Jaškin as back-up.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Wow I had no idea most of those guys were even up here. What the? Did anyone else know that?
They annoucned Syvret, Grachev, and Karpowich being called up just after the deadline last year I believe.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
sh724

According to capgeek we are at 51 contracts with 2 players on slide rule so only 49 contracts that count, adding Jaskin makes 50. Unless I counted wrong or capgeek has it wrong Redden had to be moved to add Jaskin.

For those that were debating Jaskin's signing and being able to play with when the trade deadline is the answer is a player has to be on the active roster as of the deadline to play in the POs. Any player signed after the deadline can play in the rest of the regular season but cannot play in the POs. With Jaskin signing today he would be eligible to play in the POs should the Blues decide they want him in the line up. Since Schwartz was signed after the deadline last year he was not eligible to play in the POs.

For those discussing the amount of players on the roster at midnight eastern the day of the trade deadline, this morning at 12:00 (yes midnight starts the day the previous day ends at 11:59:59) the 23 player limit is lifted and teams can have as many players on their active roster as they want as long as they stay within the 50 contract limit.

And finally just for a random piece of info, the trade deadline is not really a trade deadline, players can be traded after the deadline but it never happens as there really is not much of a point since the players would be ineligible for the POs. The "trade deadline" is actually the PO roster deadline.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:04 PM
h22prelude93

Excellent! Can't wait to see what Jaskin can do in Peoria. Who knows...maybe he does get called up this season. It certainly doesn't hurt that Hitchcock saw him play during the lockout and seems to be VERY high on him. If I remember correctly, Hitchcock said he doesn't often get excited about prospects the way he's excited for Jaskin. Should be interesting to see how things unfold.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Alklha

I was wrong when I said that Jaškin wouldn't be slide-rule eligible. I forgot that a players age is calculated from September of the season he signs the contract, so even though Jaškin is 20 now the NHL views him as 19. So he has signed a contract that starts now, he can play 5 games in the NHL without burning a year of his ELC (not that it matters).

It gives us an very interesting option should Oshie be "week-to-week" as Hitchcock implied earlier today. If we are as high on him being NHL ready as is being suggested, I'm a little surprised we didn't just get him to join the Blues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
According to capgeek we are at 51 contracts with 2 players on slide rule so only 49 contracts that count, adding Jaskin makes 50. Unless I counted wrong or capgeek has it wrong Redden had to be moved to add Jaskin.
The Tesink, Edmundson and Veilleux contracts you have counted don't start until next season, so don't count towards the 50 contract limit either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
For those that were debating Jaskin's signing and being able to play with when the trade deadline is the answer is a player has to be on the active roster as of the deadline to play in the POs. Any player signed after the deadline can play in the rest of the regular season but cannot play in the POs. With Jaskin signing today he would be eligible to play in the POs should the Blues decide they want him in the line up. Since Schwartz was signed after the deadline last year he was not eligible to play in the POs.
I think you only have to be on a teams 90 man list at the deadline to be playoff eligible. Schwartz didn't play in last seasons playoffs because McDonald came back and took his spot. Hitchcock spoke a few times during the Sharks series about not being afraid to use Schwartz if he needed to and the NHL listed him as a healthy scratch etc. We'll likely see it again this season with Söderberg signing for the Bruins in the coming weeks, and he'll probably be playing in the playoffs for them.

Not really that important, other than it says we shouldn't read too much into the timing of the signing. It is simply that Jaškin managed to sort out his contract with Slavia on the same day as the trade deadline... and could sign the contract he agreed to with the Blues ages ago.