HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
sh724

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I was wrong when I said that Jaškin wouldn't be slide-rule eligible. I forgot that a players age is calculated from September of the season he signs the contract, so even though Jaškin is 20 now the NHL views him as 19. So he has signed a contract that starts now, he can play 5 games in the NHL without burning a year of his ELC (not that it matters).

It gives us an very interesting option should Oshie be "week-to-week" as Hitchcock implied earlier today. If we are as high on him being NHL ready as is being suggested, I'm a little surprised we didn't just get him to join the Blues.

The Tesink, Edmundson and Veilleux contracts you have counted don't start until next season, so don't count towards the 50 contract limit either.

I think you only have to be on a teams 90 man list at the deadline to be playoff eligible. Schwartz didn't play in last seasons playoffs because McDonald came back and took his spot. Hitchcock spoke a few times during the Sharks series about not being afraid to use Schwartz if he needed to and the NHL listed him as a healthy scratch etc. We'll likely see it again this season with Söderberg signing for the Bruins in the coming weeks, and he'll probably be playing in the playoffs for them.

Not really that important, other than it says we shouldn't read too much into the timing of the signing. It is simply that Jaškin managed to sort out his contract with Slavia on the same day as the trade deadline... and could sign the contract he agreed to with the Blues ages ago.
In addition to your slide rule comments not that it is relevant to Jaskin but if the player turns 20 between before Dec. 31 they are not slide rule eligible even if they were 19 on Sept 15th.

I swear capgeek edited things after I counted I really do know how to count, and I can honestly say that since they added Jaskin to the roster

You are correct about the reserve roster. As long as a player is on the reserve roster by the deadline they are PO eligible.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
In addition to your slide rule comments not that it is relevant to Jaskin but if the player turns 20 between before Dec. 31 they are not slide rule eligible even if they were 19 on Sept 15th.

I swear capgeek edited things after I counted I really do know how to count, and I can honestly say that since they added Jaskin to the roster

You are correct about the reserve roster. As long as a player is on the reserve roster by the deadline they are PO eligible.
They could streamline the rules quite a bit and keep them largely the same. They do it to mess with us

Hitch was comparing Jaškin to Hossa today, which is interesting. I don't know whether that is a really legitimate comparison or simply because we are playing Chicago tonight and there are a couple of similar aspects in his game. If he became as complete a player as Hossa, with the added physicality

Also confirmed that he would see playing time this year. Will be interesting considering we have Steen, Schwartz, Perron and McDonald on LW and he hasn't went straight to the Blues with Oshie being out. Maybe Jaškin wil make a winger expendable as soon as the summer...

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

"Just a few minutes ago, Hitchcock compared Jaskin to Marian Hossa and said you can expect to see him in a Blues' uniform this season. I think that will happen very soon." Quote from Rutherford's Blues chat today. Sounds like we're going to get a look at him really soon.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Bluesman91

Jaskin has been a huge surprise. Excited to be able to see him play this year. I think Schwartz moves up into McDonald's spot next year and Jaskin take Schwartz's old spot.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:53 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I presume the lockout enabled Hitchcock to see Jaskin in person a little bit. He seems quite knowledgable about his game.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
BlueDream

Wow this Jaskin kid seems like the real deal.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

Wow, so it would make sense to expect Jaskin in a blues uni soon?

I'm excited.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

We have been told all year by another poster that he has just dominated everyone that he has played against in the q and should in his opinion be their MVP. How many guys have made the jump straight from the Q? I don't see why not. Has the size and tools. Played Czech pro league at 18. If he plays a few in Peoria and dominates, then bring him up. I wouldn't be surprised. Played like a top 5 draft pick all year. It would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath either....

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:48 PM
stlweir

Just read through the JR chat on stltoday where he quotes Hitch comparing Jaskin to Hossa and expects him to be in St louis shortly. I know Jaskin bangs a lot more than Hossa, just don't know if he skates as well. Really excited to see him.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Alklha

His skating isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. No doubt we'll make sure he gets it worked on over the summer, but it isn't anything close to the concern that was suggested in his draft year.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Hossa seems like a lofty comparison as he creates just as much (if not most) of his offense with his speed in transition as he does from the end zone whereas Jaskin seems to just overpower guys with his size and puck shielding ability below the dots in the offensive zone. That's actually my only slight concern on Jaskin because he was clearly so much more physically developed than the 16-18 year olds in the Q. But he did have a great WJC against his peers.

Regardless, that's high praise from Hitch and it'll be fun to watch his progress.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Oshie97

Surprised Hitch would compare him to Hossa, not the type of thing a coach should do IMO. Great to see the Blues get lucky with that pick, hope he is as good as advertised.

Oshie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Livin On Blues Power
Rookie User

Current returns are no indication of future results etc etc ...

But if you check tsn's player (fantasy) rankings you'll notice a pattern:

Rookie: 4. Frank
OHL: 2. Binnington
QMJHL: 2. Jaskin
WHL: 1. Rattie

Only the A isn't represented currently.

Livin On Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On Blues Power View Post
Current returns are no indication of future results etc etc ...

But if you check tsn's player (fantasy) rankings you'll notice a pattern:

Rookie: 4. Frank
OHL: 2. Binnington
QMJHL: 2. Jaskin
WHL: 1. Rattie

Only the A isn't represented currently.
Jarmo did one hell of a job drafting.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Jarmo did one hell of a job drafting.
Rattie, Jaškin and Binnington were all selected the year after Jarmo left.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Rattie, Jaškin and Binnington were all selected the year after Jarmo left.
This whole lockout screwed me up thinking that last draft was 2011 Regardless of who scouted what, Jaskin and Rattie's development is outstanding and are playing like players that should be drafted in the top 10 rather than the 2nd round.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
We have been told all year by another poster that he has just dominated everyone that he has played against in the q and should in his opinion be their MVP. How many guys have made the jump straight from the Q? I don't see why not. Has the size and tools. Played Czech pro league at 18. If he plays a few in Peoria and dominates, then bring him up. I wouldn't be surprised. Played like a top 5 draft pick all year. It would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath either....
David Perron, but now that he is 24 and past his prime, people are obsessed with trading him

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
David Perron, but now that he is 24 and past his prime, people are obsessed with trading him
How else do we get a number 1 center and make it work salary wise.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:07 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Berglund is due for a raise and is every bit the enigma that he has always been. If the move is for a center, we would have Backes, the new guy, and Sobotka there. The Blues would also have 2 or 3 other players who could slide to center in a pinch.

McDonald...not coming back

I also can't see the Blues bringing back all of Halak, Elliott, and Allen if Allen plays well with Halak out.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:10 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Berglund is due for a raise and is every bit the enigma that he has always been. If the move is for a center, we would have Backes, the new guy, and Sobotka there. The Blues would also have 2 or 3 other players who could slide to center in a pinch.

McDonald...not coming back

I also can't see the Blues bringing back all of Halak, Elliott, and Allen if Allen plays well with Halak out.
Perron and Berglund would have to go if we get a legit #1 center.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Yeah, I really dont see how all of Oshie, Stewart, Perron and Berglund are all on this team next year, I dont see them all fitting under the lower cap and/or internal budget.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Perron and Berglund would have to go if we get a legit #1 center.
Then it would have to be one hell of an upgrade. There are centers that I would give both up for certainly, but we are talking about superstar caliber talents not Pavelski's. Personally, I don't think any great fits are going to be available nor do I think that this team is going to have 4 5 million+ dollar players on it.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
ExJbeck

No way Berglund receives a high increase in salary, what has he done to deserve it? next to nothing. IMO, he will either get locked up for like 3.5>/ for 2-4 years or 1yr prove it contract.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I'd be all for a "prove it" contract for Bergie. The last two(Oshie, and Stewart) worked out quite well. If he doesn't "prove it" you have reason to keep his salary lower. If he does, that's great. Pay him a little more, and hope that he keeps it up.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:50 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Not to get too far off track, to get an actual upgrade, 2 of Perron, Berglund, Oshie, and Stewart will have to go. It doesn't have to be in the same deal, but 2 have to leave for salary reasons. One is moved for the center and the other is moved for futures to continue to resupply the prospect pool and hopefully get a center prospect.