HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 01:33 AM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Damning with faint praise. Theres seemingly no such thing as sports or sports stories right now unless one develops a taste for the NBA or NFL.

I actually tried to watch an NFL game tonight. Must be bored silly. 3rd quarter, 1st and 5, Tennessee 40yd line and the score 7-3. The Jets are finally moving the ball and threatening. So on first and 5 they elect to pass the ball for 3 incompletions resulting in nothing and then get sacked at midfield. They managed to fumble the ball once too but recovered.

This being the premier football league on the planet.

Its like keystone cops anytime I try to watch. I turned it off. Somebody managed to *win* I suppose although it looked like neither club deserved to.

If the premiership was this inept nobody would watch.
No the premier football league is the EPL

Old
12-18-2012, 01:51 AM
ales83fan

My question is does Dickey last for 3 years at 38. I know he is a knuckleballer and that that makes it a bit different, but still. Thoughts?

Old
12-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I don't care that the jays traded their best prospects away. Their last two were Snider and Drabek. Neither of them have panned out. Before that they had McGowan and Russ Adams, again, nothing there.

Most smart baseball fans agree you need a strong farm in order to trade for good players, especially when you aren't a power in free agency. This is especially the case with the blue jays when it's clear that they're fantastic at drafting talent, but they can't develop worth a ****.

Good move by the jays.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:03 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
If Dickey is able to give the Jays 3-4 solid years, I like this deal. I like the fact that AA has the balls to trade some of his high end prospects for accomplished players. Wish Tambellini had the balls to do the same.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Calgary Oilers

Tencer had a tweet last night regarding the Oilers being in the same position as the BJ's and we should not be surprised if Tambo makes a big splash once this stupid lockout ends (in the new year). He's not the first media guy in Edmonton to suggest this.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

I'm pumped on Dickey, such a feel good sports story. All he needs is a world series championship and his legend will be solidified.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
Tencer had a tweet last night regarding the Oilers being in the same position as the BJ's and we should not be surprised if Tambo makes a big splash once this stupid lockout ends (in the new year). He's not the first media guy in Edmonton to suggest this.
Like Stauffer he's just trying to stoke interest. He's a corporate stooge.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 288
not a fan of swift or boy band music, but I notice he has great taste in classic bands, at least. check out his t-shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1219-taylor-swift-harry-styles-tattoo-instagram-5.jpg‎ (50.0 KB, 26 views)

Old
12-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Anybody planning on making the trip to Seattle for the Jays/Mariners series in august ?

Old
12-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
We're nowhere in the same position.

1. We don't have all-star vets who are in their prime and so the team needs to win now to not waste those years (Bautista, Encarnacion).

2. We don't have near the wealth of expendable prospects that the Jays had.

3. No team is going to pull a Miami and trade 3 of their top players to us for scraps. To put it in perspective, it'd be like us trading some combination of Pitlick/Hamilton/Gagner/Gernat/Rieder for Brent Burns, Joe Pavelski and Vlasic.

4. Trading for Dickey is like trading Yakupov and Klefbom for Thomas. It works for the Jays and in baseball because the value of a top end starter is crazy.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series

Last edited by Cloned: 12-19-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Anybody planning on making the trip to Seattle for the Jays/Mariners series in august ?
I usually make the trip down to Seattle for a mariners game every year in July. Might have to check out the jays in August I suppose. Lol

Old
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Blue Jays are currently the biggest sports story in the country right now. Props to Anthopoulos for taking most of the attention away from the pathetic National Hockey League.
I used to watch the Jays when they were competitive. After the Yankees basically bought the division.. and then watching the Red Sox follow to buy up the wild card spot. I had given up on the game. I was never interested enough to band wagon jump as my emotional attachment to the Jays was from my Grandfather.

I'll admit I will watch the team this year to start. If they can keep in the playoff run I'll probably keep watching. Not religously because god they play so much and summer is better spent outdoors.

I'll also guarantee I'd watch every playoff game the Jays played. Not sure how many are like me. My sister is actually a decent baseball fan and moved on from the Jays. She picked a new team because well.. the Blue Jays were hopeless. I'm curious to see who she cheers for if the Jays match the hype. She picked the St.Louis Cardinals btw.

Honestly IMO baseball is a victim of it's own success. It's so historically ingrained that there's things it can't change in the game. Like shortening the season as the game is soooo dependant on its records.

I believe it could benefit from a bit shorter season and longer playoff in one sense. It just can't afford to because of how it effects records. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Unless i'm off in assuming it was always a 162 game season?

Old
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 12576
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Remember guys if you do not like converation that is going on, then don't comment. Since this is an OT you may chance to topic of conversation, but do so in a respectful manner.

01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

I'm "wearing" my new Avatar for a month as per me and Matt Ryan's WJC bet. Since the WJC thread is now closed, I thought I'd post it up here.

Oops...found the new one. Never mind

Old
01-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Is anyone here a pilot or aspiring pilot? I've recently started learning to fly out of Namao Flight Club at Villeneuve Airport. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through there, or any other place in the capital region.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Is anyone here a pilot or aspiring pilot? I've recently started learning to fly out of Namao Flight Club at Villeneuve Airport. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through there, or any other place in the capital region.
My buddy is a pilot and I've flown with him several times. He usually goes out of the south cooking lake airport.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'm "wearing" my new Avatar for a month as per me and Matt Ryan's WJC bet. Since the WJC thread is now closed, I thought I'd post it up here.

Oops...found the new one. Never mind
Wow does that avy reek of American arrogance... I would've taken that bet too buddy. Still a shame we lost and now you have to suffer this bad for it.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

While I can certainly sympathize with the horrific act, I don't actually think it's appropriate discussion for these boards. Even if it's in the correct thread(thank you for that btw).

Sorry guys.

01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Wow does that avy reek of American arrogance... I would've taken that bet too buddy. Still a shame we lost and now you have to suffer this bad for it.
Thanks.

I'm offended by the political nature and avarice of that avatar. In anycase the Russians did more to win that war and suffered more losses than anything the US invested. See how that works? It immediately goes to the political.

Why is that avatar allowed? Honestly I'd just drop that inappropriate avatar Dorian and be done with it. Sure don't want to be looking at that **** for how long the bet is. Avatar bets are one thing, they're not supposed to be in such poor taste.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

What's the avatar? I can't view it on my phone.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What's the avatar? I can't view it on my phone.
Oh it says USA - Back to Back World War Champs

Old
01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Wow, the Redskins look pretty stupid today.

RGIII expected to miss 14-16 months. Hope Washington wasn't looking at making the playoffs next season. That hurts that the decision to keep him in the game is going to cost them a whole entire season of their starting QB.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Wow, the Redskins look pretty stupid today.

RGIII expected to miss 14-16 months. Hope Washington wasn't looking at making the playoffs next season. That hurts that the decision to keep him in the game is going to cost them a whole entire season of their starting QB.
Wow is all I have to say.

That and there is a NFL thread.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Wow is all I have to say.

That and there is a NFL thread.
Feel free to post this news in it.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

For those of you who work in the oil sands:

What would be some good advice on breaking into the O&G industry (sites to check, companies that are expanding etc.) I'm graduating in April with a Bachelor in Chem eng. I already have a job lined up in Montreal but I would love to work in the oil and gas field.

I've done quite a bit of research already. Figure I would ask here also since it can't really hurt. Thanks.

Closed Thread