HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

139:12 And Counting, The Barons Couldn't Score in a Brothel With a Fistfull of $100's

Old
11-11-2012, 12:44 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Didn't Calgary think they had a legit shot at him?
LOL

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Great game today. They saved the good one for Saturday HNIC hdtv.

That was some hockey game. Really got a taste of the two clubs going forward. Very impressed actually with the well coached Abbotsford club and they look to have a ringer at coach. Team playing great system hockey and playing smart all over the ice. Really like Ward. Should get an NHL gig, maybe Flames before long.

Really after intensity from Barons in the first the Heat basically took this game over. Without some excellent finish from Hall and Schultz we don't win this one. Heat were just dominating in stretches in the 3rd and with the tying goal being inevitable. They almost sealed the deal in regulation time.

Which brings me to Nelson. A club giving up 3 goal leads in successive 3rd periods recently and chronically giving up leads and looking disorganized at key times is not showing signs of being well coached.
We basically weren't picking up much of anything in this two game set. We battled better in this one but Heat really finding the back door and trailer almost any time they tried. Point blank shot after point blank shot. With a little finish Abbotsfords win both games. Real quality chances generated consistently. Close in chances like crazy.

WE got the better players, Heat are the better team. I'll take the W, but I'm not convinced these kids are learning a whole lot under Nelson.

Basically a wasted season for them. Conversely look at how the Calgary prospects are learning to play every aspect of the TEAM game and all of them. Its being required.

One org is developing all its prospects and learning to play great winning hockey and the other is just going through the motions on most nights.
Fairly unwarranted comments this early in the season about coaching, this is your MO though always being the devil's advocate. You make it sound one sided, OKC had more scoring chances in the first 2 periods IMO.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:45 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Not sure what you're questioning here. I was onboard all of last year with thinking that players that we sent down like Omark and Paajarvi weren't being given what we need down there.
Nelson is more concerned with AHL results than clear player development. He's a career AHLer that has that league in his blood. But really bereft of any knowledge on what an NHL player would require to succeed.
Not like a guy could even learn what it takes to get to the show from Nelson. From a prospect POV of guys on the bubble thats a lot like the blind leading the blind.

When it comes to our star players I can imagine their disinterest when Nelson is giving them heated instruction on how to play the game. Of course they play the game at a higher level in their sleep than Nelson could ever dream of.
Which is fine, but if you're a career scrub you better be a brilliant tactician to hope to come across to confirmed NHL players. Nelson seems wanting in this area. He doesn't have a lot to teach these young stars and I suspect he knows it. He's in over his head this year.
Yeeesh. Isn't there a puppy you could be kicking somewhere? Hey, my kids don't know Santa Claus is bullish!t yet. Maybe you can talk to them for a laugh. Seriously, man. Ease up. We just won a game you admit was great. What's up with the Debbie Downer bit? It's like you've got some kind of radar for whenever other posters on the board are pleased and entertained and you immediately take to the keyboard to remind them that life is pointless, someday everyone we love will die, and the only good hockey is solid systems play hockey.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Oilerdiehard

Todd Nelson ‏@Barons_Coach
Great win by the boys tonight. Feels good to have the boys playing Barons hockey again.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I thought Nuge had a pretty quiet game overall. Hall and Eberle improved as the game wore on. Paajarvi still leaves me wanting more. And that Heat goal was all on him due to his poor decision on that icing call. Plante had one of his better defensive games tonight. I also like Teubert's toughness but he's really gotta learn not to take so many penalties.

And where are all the Flame fans in Abbotsford? Are there not any Calgary fans living in BC?
Paajarvi drives me nuts. It seems like he has a great skill set but is unwilling to pay any price for creating offence. With his speed he should backing in defenders but they all know just to push him outside because he will not attack the middle. He is getting lots of time on the ice, hopefully he gets it going.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Auguste Escoffier

In my opinion, Hartikainen was the Barons' most effective forward last night. He was cycling the puck well; his passes were crisp; he used his body. A junkyard dog, if you will.

Pitlick does not seem to have an ounce of offensive instinct in his body this season. What is up with that? Also, I never realised how huge he actually is.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I thought Nuge had a pretty quiet game overall. Hall and Eberle improved as the game wore on. Paajarvi still leaves me wanting more. And that Heat goal was all on him due to his poor decision on that icing call. Plante had one of his better defensive games tonight. I also like Teubert's toughness but he's really gotta learn not to take so many penalties.

And where are all the Flame fans in Abbotsford? Are there not any Calgary fans living in BC?
They don't care about hockey unless the Flames are playing well, at least most of them. I had the game on where I work tonight, with like 40 Calgarians here. Nobody paid any attention to the game.

Trust me, Oilers fans are at another level. We endure so much crap and we still watch and support the team. Oil Country has the truest fans I've ever seen.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I think he was reasonably good D, understands the pk very well and has the club playing consistently well at that. I think he's not very well rounded at all as a headcoach and that these problems are being especially demonstrated with a talented club in front of him.

I've never been sold on Nelson. Certainly not as an NHL coach as so many people here last year were advocating.

Probably because I'm a fan of systems play and a club playing as a team I much prefer what Ward is doing. Night and day different and you could just see the Calgary prospects blooming. Both in puck control and team puck retension. Calgary's players are learning to value puck retension and that only good things can happen when you have the puck. Edmonton players giving it away for fun. Thats a bit disconcerting and this two game set was very eye opening in general.

Edmonton with far better drafted prospects and Calgary getting better results and development. Calgary also playing a much grittier game as befits that org. Thats some reason for concern.
So who is developing so well down there? Brodie and Baertschi look like players, but who else are you so impressed with? I also don't think that they were any grittier than we were tonight TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
In my opinion, Hartikainen was the Barons' most effective forward last night. He was cycling the puck well; his passes were crisp; he used his body. A junkyard dog, if you will.

Pitlick does not seem to have an ounce of offensive instinct in his body this season. What is up with that? Also, I never realised how huge he actually is.
Harski's passing has been better, one of the knocks on him was tunnel vision and ineffective passing, he's looking like he's improved in both areas, kid is an NHL player at this point IMO. As for Pitlick, his confidence is low just like so many other Barons at the moment.

11-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hall and Eberle tweeted about the support from the Oilers fans in Abbotsford as well.

Quote:
Taylor Hall ‏@hallsy04
Pretty awesome saluting fans on away ice. Makes me miss playing at Rexall. The lockout sucks but this weekend was a lot of fun #HappyBus
Quote:
Jordan Eberle ‏@ebs_14
Thanks to all the fans and oiler fans who came out this weekend to Abbotsford. Made it a lot of fun.
It's nice to know that they appreciate the passion that we have for the team.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

The guys at Sportsnet were sure ranting and raving about Pitlick during the intermission. Of course they referenced his first rookie camp where he was in fact an 18 year old beast of a boy looking like a man. He looks imposing with his size and speed out there. It's just his confidence and willingness to be creative or aggressive at the net instead of constantly just cycling around it.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:49 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
They don't care about hockey unless the Flames are playing well, at least most of them. I had the game on where I work tonight, with like 40 Calgarians here. Nobody paid any attention to the game.

Trust me, Oilers fans are at another level. We endure so much crap and we still watch and support the team. Oil Country has the truest fans I've ever seen.
You also have to take into consideration the Flames don't have any of their best players in Abbotsford like the Oilers do in OKC. Of course Flames fans aren't going to be as interested in an AHL game. Calgary has at least 7-8 veteran players that are better than any of the Oilers veterans.

Please don't post crap like Flames fans don't care when the team isn't winning, its utter garbage.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The veterans comment is inconsequential. They're all 30+. Who cares?

Old
11-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
You also have to take into consideration the Flames don't have any of their best players in Abbotsford like the Oilers do in OKC. Of course Flames fans aren't going to be as interested in an AHL game. Calgary has at least 7-8 veteran players that are better than any of the Oilers veterans.

Please don't post crap like Flames fans don't care when the team isn't winning, its utter garbage.
Baertschi is pretty damn good, I don't see how he doesn't crack your team when the NHL resumes. Also it's been awhile since we've played NHL hockey so refresh my memory on how many of your vets are better than a healthy Hemsky.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Quote:

Love this.

Flames fans can talk all the **** they want, but when we fire back, it's "utter garbage".

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:00 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Baertschi is pretty damn good, I don't see how he doesn't crack your team when the NHL resumes. Also it's been awhile since we've played NHL hockey so refresh my memory on how many of your vets are better than a healthy Hemsky.
Better than a healthy Hemsky? What on earth is a healthy Hemsky?

Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Glencross, Giordano, Bouwmeester, Kiprusoff for starters.

Also, yes, Baertschi would def. be in the Flames lineup, likely 2nd or 3rd line. He will not be relied upon like the Oilers prospects.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:06 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Love this.

Flames fans can talk all the **** they want, but when we fire back, it's "utter garbage".
Firing back usually means someone fired at you first.

Anyway, not looking for an argument, just stating a reason why Oilers fans would care more about their AHL team. The Flames fans don't care when the team isn't winning is a stupid statement.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Tedi

Quote:

7-8 veteran players a few years away from retirement as well.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Tedi

Quote:

Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Glencross, Giordano, Bouwmeester, Kiprusoff for starters.

Also, yes, Baertschi would def. be in the Flames lineup, likely 2nd or 3rd line. He will not be relied upon like the Oilers prospects.
Hall, Eberle and RNH aren't just prospects anymore, are they? Baertschi is one of the few bright lights in Calgary's future.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Firstly I hope that's your last cute comment in this discussion. Both Cammalleri's and Tanguay's play has dipped in recent years and Hemsky could produce similarly to them next season. I also wouldn't be surprised if Baertschi leapfrogs at least one of those guys on the depth chart in short order.

Quote:
Firing back usually means someone fired at you first.

Anyway, not looking for an argument, just stating a reason why Oilers fans would care more about their AHL team. The Flames fans don't care when the team isn't winning is a stupid statement.
Firstly you are coming onto an Oilers board so this is not your home forum so tread lightly. If you have a problem with posts then report them. As for your post, well let's see, there's a lockout, no pro hockey, you have guys like Baertschi and Brodie who your fanbase trumpets as top prospects, I'd think that should be reason enough for Flames fans to care significantly about Abbotsford. I can't speak for everyone here but even if Hall, RNH, and Eberle weren't in OKC I'd be watching the games to watch Schultz and our other prospects.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Oh, come now, Tedi. Look at the start the Heat have had. Clearly, the Flames have a lot to look forward to.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
7-8 veteran players a few years away from retirement as well.
Their best players are past their primes. Sans maybe Bouw, Gio, and Glencross.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Oh, come now, Tedi. Look at the start the Heat have had. Clearly, the Flames have a lot to look forward to.
I'm looking forward to the next several years of the flames missing the playoffs...hopefully in 9th place, so that the cupboards stay bare.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Honest question, how many of their contributors are prospects, and how many of them are vets?

Old
11-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I should have added a

Old
11-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

In all seriousness, Bartschi's a beaut. I watched him dominate the Oil Kings single-handedly live and in person in the WHL final last year. He's definitely the real deal... even if Rob Kerr is a little overzealous about it.