HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Science
Science A place to discuss natural, formal and applied science topics such as chemistry, physics, biology, logic, engineering, etc.

Electric vehicles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2013, 11:51 PM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,641
vCash: 500
Electric vehicles

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ley-symposium/

Electric Car Makers Think Outside The Garage At Silicon Valley Symposium

Quote:
Sustainability advocates convened in Silicon Valley this week to share ideas about how to enhance the electric vehicle charging infrastructure as the technology slowly becomes mainstream.

Electric cars represent a still small, but growing percentage of car sales. Just one in 40 cars in California runs on electricity, said Jessica Zenk, transportation director at the Silicon Valley Leadership Group.
...
A major theme at the two-day conference at SAP Labs was thinking “outside the garage” to re-imagine when and where plug-in drivers get a chance to recharge, including bringing charging stations into the workplace. The charging stations at SAP, for example, are conveniently located right by the entrance.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 11:29 AM
  #2
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I really want an electric vehicle. But I live in semi-rural country - the current range limitations are still too onerous. Thinking five more years, maybe.

  Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  #3
Fuzzy Bunny
Registered User
 
Fuzzy Bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I really want an electric vehicle. But I live in semi-rural country - the current range limitations are still too onerous. Thinking five more years, maybe.
Agreed. I am a dual resident right now of two towns 110km apart so I technically could make use but I'd need two power stations and I want to road trip during summers/vacations. Until the infrastructure is put in place like that article states in providing dependable away-from-home charging stations I can't make that leap. I'll go the Hybrid route instead of purely electric.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 06:27 PM
  #4
Green Blob*
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
You pretty much throw away your man card when you buy an electric/hybrid car.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 06:47 PM
  #5
disgruntleddave
Registered User
 
disgruntleddave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
You pretty much throw away your man card when you buy an electric/hybrid car.


Please continue telling us what it means to be a man.




The change is coming. Slowly, but surely. I don't have the same concerns about range for an every-day car, and they are still too expensive. Still, if money was no object, I'd probably pick up a tesla model S.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:22 PM
  #6
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
You pretty much throw away your man card when you buy an electric/hybrid car.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:33 PM
  #7
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,641
vCash: 500
Range (<100) and infrastructure installation costs (perhaps $30-50k to wire condo parking spaces) means it won't be happening where I live, soon.

(Where are the grants and incentives for HOAs to install recharging station? Just for individual home owners.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:42 PM
  #8
Hockey Joe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Why can't we have battery stations where you could swap batteries instead?

Hockey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
  #9
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Joe View Post
Why can't we have battery stations where you could swap batteries instead?
One idea. Also have been discussing possibility of "fast" recharge (i.e., 5-15 minutes) rather than the 2-12 hours it takes at residential charging stations.

(It also matters a lot the type of charger(s) your car can handle.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:20 PM
  #10
Unaffiliated
Registered User
 
Unaffiliated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,001
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Joe View Post
Why can't we have battery stations where you could swap batteries instead?
The battery is generally the most expensive part of the car. You're not just using some junk batteries; they're extremely valuable and important.




A group of friends/classmates and I are doing our Eng Phys capstone project as a conversion of a 1979 Mini to a full electric vehicle.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
  #11
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,677
vCash: 500
I like the Tesla Motors long-term business plan of having each successive generation of their cars fund the next one, which is cheaper and closer to being affordable. I really think things will be interesting in another 10 years or so.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:50 PM
  #12
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Joe View Post
Why can't we have battery stations where you could swap batteries instead?


That giant silver plate is the battery.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:09 AM
  #13
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,641
vCash: 500
http://science.kqed.org/quest/audio/...rging-network/

This podcast from December 2012 talks about EVs and public recharging. It can cost $40k for a fast recharging station (15 minutes to get 50 miles of range).

Podcast talks about 2014 being a tipping point in getting sufficient charging stations installed publicly.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
  #14
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,677
vCash: 500
Wow, really? 2014 is.....next year. That is interesting.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 04:50 PM
  #15
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,641
vCash: 500
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-car-chargers/

Palo Alto, CA (home of Stanford, northern part of "Silicon Valley") requiring new homes to include electric vehicle charging ability.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:59 AM
  #16
DannoManno*
MBV
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Uruguay
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-car-chargers/

Palo Alto, CA (home of Stanford, northern part of "Silicon Valley") requiring new homes to include electric vehicle charging ability.
That's awesome!

DannoManno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:02 PM
  #17
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,204
vCash: 156
Give me hydrogen.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:01 PM
  #18
DannoManno*
MBV
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Uruguay
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Give me hydrogen.
Seriously? Way more expensive than electric cars... We can have affordable electric cars, now!

DannoManno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:13 PM
  #19
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,204
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoManno View Post
Seriously? Way more expensive than electric cars... We can have affordable electric cars, now!
I need a car with more range and less downtime. Electric isn't close to feasible for me. Didn't they recently have a breakthrough in making hydrogen fuel cells more affordable?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:17 PM
  #20
DannoManno*
MBV
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Uruguay
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I need a car with more range and less downtime. Electric isn't close to feasible for me. Didn't they recently have a breakthrough in making hydrogen fuel cells more affordable?
You take a road trip every day, or what? 100 miles is way more than enough for most Americans, myself included. Plus, tesla is expanding their charging stations exponentially, so range should be a pretty moot point by the end of the decade or so.

DannoManno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:31 PM
  #21
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,204
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoManno View Post
You take a road trip every day, or what? 100 miles is way more than enough for most Americans, myself included. Plus, tesla is expanding their charging stations exponentially, so range should be a pretty moot point by the end of the decade or so.
Yeah, almost every weekend I'll go somewhere more than 100 miles away. I'm not looking to turn a 2 hour trip into a 7 hour trip.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:56 PM
  #22
DannoManno*
MBV
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Uruguay
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, almost every weekend I'll go somewhere more than 100 miles away. I'm not looking to turn a 2 hour trip into a 7 hour trip.
Pretty sure there are already electric cars with ranges upwards and over 300 miles. And the ranges will just keep on getting longer as the batteries become better.

DannoManno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
  #23
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,204
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoManno View Post
Pretty sure there are already electric cars with ranges upwards and over 300 miles. And the ranges will just keep on getting longer as the batteries become better.
I'm pretty sure the only cars that get 300 miles are the really expensive ones the vast majority will never afford.

Another plus with a hydrogen fuel cell is that as that technology comes along it ought to have a lot less environmental impact than what is required for batteries.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 03:27 AM
  #24
DannoManno*
MBV
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Uruguay
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm pretty sure the only cars that get 300 miles are the really expensive ones the vast majority will never afford.

Another plus with a hydrogen fuel cell is that as that technology comes along it ought to have a lot less environmental impact than what is required for batteries.
The vast majority of people couldn't afford cars 100 years ago.

If we just wait for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles to be affordable, and not embrace electric cars as mainstream vehicles, the air will just get way more polluted... And no one wants that!

In the mean time, we must embrace electric cars, before we can worry about adopting hydrogen fuel cell vehicles! I'll admit hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are pretty cool... But so is going to Mars

DannoManno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 03:40 PM
  #25
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,204
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoManno View Post
The vast majority of people couldn't afford cars 100 years ago.

If we just wait for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles to be affordable, and not embrace electric cars as mainstream vehicles, the air will just get way more polluted... And no one wants that!

In the mean time, we must embrace electric cars, before we can worry about adopting hydrogen fuel cell vehicles! I'll admit hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are pretty cool... But so is going to Mars
http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/15/tech...une/index.html

The ability to quickly refuel trumps battery power for me.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.