HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
At a quick glance, yes.

If Drouin could have that mean streak MacKinnon does he'd get a lot more consideration for #1. HC normally takes one or zero 17yo's, but he's going to make it hard on Spott..

HC said age won't matter, but playign a more mature game will. Drouin fits the bill there.... I'm starting to re-think the "Drouin has no chance" thing now.
And a more balanced all around game.

I'd almost be tempted to say Drouin is probably the most dynamic offensive player in this draft. He's that talented. Maybe not much more than MacKinnon, and at the very least at an even level with MacKinnon, but I would have no issue with someone saying that.

But his lack of a defined all around game and more meanness means I don't think he can go number 1. But he's going to be a hell of an offensive player.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
As mentioned last night, a respected scout told me he loved Drouin, but he even loved Barkov more. There you go Finnish, I still need to see him at the Worlds to decide for myself but that is what I was told.
See, I'm not crazy

WJC's are going to be fun. I'm excited for you to see him play haha.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
See, I'm not crazy

WJC's are going to be fun. I'm excited for you to see him play haha.
Pft you have been lying since day one

It's going to be a pain to see those game at 4 in the morning.

12-09-2012, 01:14 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Is Drouin going to be at the Worlds?

Be hard to compare someone playing in the Q against someone playing against the world's best juniors.

But yes, I think we are all looking forward to seeing the tournament. I'm on holidays during the tournament so I'm good.
I don't think so, not unless the lockout ends. He won't make it easy on the selection committee. It's commonly referred to as a 19 year olds tourney right, so as impressive as he's been I'm not sure its enough.

Would you legitimately have him over Strome, Scheifele, Huberdeau, RNH, MacKinnon, Rattie? His game isn't suited for the third line unfortunately, so he'd have to move one of those 6 out of the top 6. So if RNH gets injured, or hockey canada decides that he's been more impressive than Rattie/Scheifele. I'm not sure thats likely.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pft you have been lying since day one

It's going to be a pain to see those game at 4 in the morning.
Yeah but that's what a DVR is for . Or Christmas break for those of us university students lucky enough to have that.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yeah but that's what a DVR is for . Or Christmas break for those of us university students lucky enough to have that.
Well university student life for me so yea but still lol I have a ton of work to do over the breaks I know ill end up watching everyone of them likely.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:22 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
In relationship to being picked #2 I would say he is more of a dissapointment, but yeah he is not a bad goalie, just picked far too high.
Who would realistically have been picked instead of him?

Ward and Semin only? He's still one of the best players from that draft.

In fact statistically Lehtonen has actually been better than Ward. Only slightly but still better.

Ward - 414 Games, 205 wins, 21 shutouts, .910 save percentage and 2.74 GAA.

Lehtonen - 344 Games - 166 wins, 21 shutouts, .914 save percentage, 2.71 GAA.

Now Ward has a cup on Lehtonen but that's not really fair to Lehtonen since he had to spend a good chunk of his career on Atlanta so he hasn't had a chance to prove his playoff value.

Point being Lehtonen is often a forgotten guy in the NHL. He's actually quite a talented dude.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Well university student life for me so yea but still lol I have a ton of work to do over the breaks I know ill end up watching everyone of them likely.
Haha I do too, but I never end up actually doing it lol.

What year are you in and where? If you don't mind me asking.

Sean Monahan (so you Mods don't get mad )

Old
12-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Haha I do too, but I never end up actually doing it lol.

What year are you in and where? If you don't mind me asking.

Sean Monahan (so you Mods don't get mad )
I am trying to change that this year!

Carleton and 3rd but switching so it's a jumble now man lol.

Hahaha. As I said so far, there is an entire different tier set by three prospects in Jones, Barkov and Mackinnon after that it's god knows how well they will class. However they are better than past drafts.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but a recent Barkov highlight reel. Man I want this kid on the Leafs.

Man i really like barkov. Makes his money off garbage goals which is exactly what we need with our core going forward. The top 5 of this draft looks elite (lindholm at 6 also looks damn good). We need at least 1 top 5 pick via lottery and burke needs to find a way to get a second. Barkov and Monahan would be ideal for me.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:25 PM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Who would realistically have been picked instead of him?

Ward and Semin only? He's still one of the best players from that draft.

In fact statistically Lehtonen has actually been better than Ward. Only slightly but still better.

Ward - 414 Games, 205 wins, 21 shutouts, .910 save percentage and 2.74 GAA.

Lehtonen - 344 Games - 166 wins, 21 shutouts, .914 save percentage, 2.71 GAA.

Now Ward has a cup on Lehtonen but that's not really fair to Lehtonen since he had to spend a good chunk of his career on Atlanta so he hasn't had a chance to prove his playoff value.

Point being Lehtonen is often a forgotten guy in the NHL. He's actually quite a talented dude.
This is retrospective since I never posted here what my picks were in 02, but clearly the best players in this draft was Nash, Keith, and Ward.

You may not want to hear this, but the CJHL is the foremost suppliers of talent to the NHL, it stands to reason there is less risk, obcourse someone will probably mention Alexandre Daigle, but for everyone of him there are plenty more Seguin, Hall, Stamkos, Tavares, Doughty, Pieterangelo's.

The OHL/WHL/QMJHL is a tried and tested method that works far more times than not if you want to draft a star player. The Finnish league is not. Now saying that before you get all defensive and say how can you say this about Barkov, I am not, I am merely pointing out a fact. And saying this I do know there are exceptions and it is a global game. But it does enter one's mind if you want a can't miss prospect if that is even possible. Let's say less risky.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
KlattNazty

Barkov is a goal mouth monster. Love the way he gets in there no problems, finds the puck so easily too. Great hockey IQ.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:41 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
I am trying to change that this year!

Carleton and 3rd but switching so it's a jumble now man lol.

Hahaha. As I said so far, there is an entire different tier set by three prospects in Jones, Barkov and Mackinnon after that it's god knows how well they will class. However they are better than past drafts.
Nice. Haha yeah jumbled is exactly what I'd use to describe mine too haha. I'm at Mac.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:47 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
This is retrospective since I never posted here what my picks were in 02, but clearly the best players in this draft was Nash, Keith, and Ward.

You may not want to hear this, but the CJHL is the foremost suppliers of talent to the NHL, it stands to reason there is less risk, obcourse someone will probably mention Alexandre Daigle, but for everyone of him there are plenty more Seguin, Hall, Stamkos, Tavares, Doughty, Pieterangelo's.

The OHL/WHL/QMJHL is a tried and tested method that works far more times than not if you want to draft a star player. The Finnish league is not. Now saying that before you get all defensive and say how can you say this about Barkov, I am not, I am merely pointing out a fact. And saying this I do know there are exceptions and it is a global game. But it does enter one's mind if you want a can't miss prospect if that is even possible. Let's say less risky.
Oh I know it is haha. I've never actually said it wasn't. It is the most common method. Doesn't mean other leagues aren't acceptable either. Your argument rests on numbers alone. There are far more busts coming from the CHL than any other league too...it goes both ways man.

All I was saying is that Lehtonen isn't that huge bust that many claim he was. He had the talent to go top 10, he did, suffered through injuries and it affected his game. He's still better statistically than Ward is...

And this has nothing to do with Finnish versus CHL. Me trumpeting Barkov isn't because of a fanboy need to push the SM-Liiga as a developmental league. I'm just a huge Barkov fan (I'm not even Finnish lol).

It's just Lehtonen gets a fair bit more criticism than he deserves. Ward was clearly a better pick and has a Cup ring. But Lehtonen is very underrated.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:24 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

Barkov is doing something pretty special in the fel but Lindholm doesn't get much talk in this thread. He's having a pretty special year as well. On pace to beat backstroms numbers in his draft year

Old
12-09-2012, 03:37 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

North America is the feeder system to the AHL, and the AHL is a feeder system to the NHL.

Stars (higher level athletes) go right to the NHL.

The rest of the players go to a development league, and it is easier to supply teams in their local countries that way.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
12-09-2012, 04:43 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Man i really like barkov. Makes his money off garbage goals which is exactly what we need with our core going forward. The top 5 of this draft looks elite (lindholm at 6 also looks damn good). We need at least 1 top 5 pick via lottery and burke needs to find a way to get a second. Barkov and Monahan would be ideal for me.
Yeah, his hands in tight, and his quick reaction to rebounds is uncanny. It's like he's always the first person to see the puck, and he pounces on it.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Barkov is a goal mouth monster. Love the way he gets in there no problems, finds the puck so easily too. Great hockey IQ.
My thoughts exactly. He thinks the game faster than most (as per Craig Button).

Old
12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Barkov is doing something pretty special in the fel but Lindholm doesn't get much talk in this thread. He's having a pretty special year as well. On pace to beat backstroms numbers in his draft year
Lindholm's numbers are incredible. He is credited for three more games than he's actually played (He was only on the team as an extra player the first 3 games). The scoring in the SEL is also considerably lower than any other league and he plays on one of the lower scoring teams on a forward position he has never played before.

Last edited by Huffman: 12-09-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
So much talent this year and with a full season lockout possible, good chance we get someone really good
If the lottery system similar to 2005, the Leafs would have a better chance by playing a season (unless you believe them good enough to stay out of the top five).

Old
12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
If the lottery system similar to 2005, the Leafs would have a better chance by playing a season (unless you believe them good enough to stay out of the top five).
I would normally be pretty confident of the leafs finishing bottom five but if the rumored luongo trade goes through I would be more confident with the lottery tbh.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I would normally be pretty confident of the leafs finishing bottom five but if the rumored luongo trade goes through I would be more confident with the lottery tbh.
Isn't it Kadri and Bozak for Luongo? Or what is being rumored anyway.

Also, lets tank in 2015 or whatever... 82 points in 17 games

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...xt_whl_phenom/

Old
12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Just one more thing about Barkov.

Button goes on a 12 minute love-in about him here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_PAwg7Ayls

He mentions that in a game against fellow Finn, Mikko Koivu, Barkov was the best player on the ice.

It made me wonder how they compared at the same stage of development in the SM-Liga and here's the answer.

Mikko Koivu in his draft year

48gp 4g 3a 7pts 34pim +1

Alex Barkov Jr.in his draft year

31gp 14g 14a 28pts 4pim +8

That's a huge difference considering that when Koivu was drafted he was already 19 years and 1 month, and Barkov will only be 17 years and 9 months come June 24th.

Koivu is more or less a perrenial 20 goal 60 point guy in the NHL. It's scary to think how much better Barkov can be, maybe something like a 30-35 goal 85-100 point centre.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Isn't it Kadri and Bozak for Luongo? Or what is being rumored anyway.

Also, lets tank in 2015 or whatever... 82 points in 17 games

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...xt_whl_phenom/
If he's playing Major Bantam, that means he's actually 1 year younger than McDavid and 2016 eligible.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Mikko took a longgg time to develop and get where he is now, despite his draft position. A comparison with his junior numbers might not be apt.

Closed Thread