HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 11:14 PM
leafsfuture

vCash: 500
I dont mean to trash Drouin, because no offence to Naz, but Drouin had more points last year than kadri did as a 16 year old and Drouin played half a season.

My point is that we already had an extremely crafty NHL winger (yes), so if it means if we are given the option of picking him, trading down for Monahan may be an idea.... although Drouin may make me change my mind this Christmas

Old
12-13-2012, 11:20 PM
weems

Drouin looks like a much better skater then Kadri.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:32 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Ok...and...?

That seems like a weird thing to compare on. Like I said, completely different situations. Drouin/MacKinnon played all season together. Kadri/Tavares barely played a third of it together. Drouin/MacKinnon played on the same line. Kadri/Tavares didn't.
you would think i said something bad about your kid or something lol...

all i said was it reminded me of the situation, goal scoring pivot and play making winger i didnt compare them at all

Old
12-14-2012, 10:25 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Think Drouin will be able to rise into the Jones/Barkov race if he can have a good/great World Juniors.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Haha, don't look at me, I'm not the one making the comparison. Obviously there are differences, yes, but I think the comparison was mostly based on that (still fairly ample) similarity. Tavares was also pretty much ready to step right into the NHL (like MacKinnon could be) while Kadri's taken a few years to develop his game to that level (like people are projecting for Drouin).
Haha that's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
you would think i said something bad about your kid or something lol...

all i said was it reminded me of the situation, goal scoring pivot and play making winger i didnt compare them at all
No lol. I just didn't really understand the comparison at all. It just didn't make any sense to me since for one Drouin has only 3 less goals than MacKinnon, Kadri didn't play wing until he went pro.

I'm just pointing out something that didn't make any sense to me lol. I don't see any real comparisons between the two situations at all besides having the 1st overall in a draft on your team. Really the only similarity.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Drouin has nasty hands, but the problem is that he is essentially a slightly better Nazem Kadri, and hes not going to be in the NHL anytime soon.
His IQ is way higher than Kadri's IMO. Drouin I feel is more comparable to RNH, St.Louis, Skinner. A player who doesn't really have any overwhelming physical traits but can impose his will on a game with good positional play and hockey IQ.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
I dont mean to trash Drouin, because no offence to Naz, but Drouin had more points last year than kadri did as a 16 year old and Drouin played half a season.

My point is that we already had an extremely crafty NHL winger (yes), so if it means if we are given the option of picking him, trading down for Monahan may be an idea.... although Drouin may make me change my mind this Christmas
Yes Drouin did...while playing on MacKinnon's line. But I digress lol. I'm was just trying to figure out the comparison, didn't really understand why it was being made haha.

To be honest I've never been a big fan of trading down in the top 5. I just don't much historical proof to see it working. More often than not it fails. Either the guy you target trading down gets snagged by someone else, or you end up passing on a better player and settling (and I don't like settling lol).

If Drouin is BPA over Monahan, I think I'd prefer to take Drouin. I'm almost positive he's said he can play center and really only hasn't because of MacKinnon. The kid is so dynamic I would have a really hard time passing on him simply because we already have a pretty good offensive winger in the system.

I'm not sure if Drouin is BPA over Monohan at this point however.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:41 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
His IQ is way higher than Kadri's IMO. Drouin I feel is more comparable to RNH, St.Louis, Skinner. A player who doesn't really have any overwhelming physical traits but can impose his will on a game with good positional play and hockey IQ.
I agree with this. He's one of those players that doesn't need the physical game to be successful.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Always take the BPA but my two favorite and realistic possibility in the draft are Barkov and Monahan.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:45 AM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

At this point it seems there are a number of excellent centre prospects available in the top 8 of this draft .. I'm just hoping the Leafs are able to get a pick in this range

It'd definitely make me feel better about the lockout

Old
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Think Drouin will be able to rise into the Jones/Barkov race if he can have a good/great World Juniors.
I like him and had him in my sights from the get go but that's a big burden for him to achieve. Don't see it at all happening tbh. Highest he'd could go based on pure skill would be 4 after the 3 that is if we are basing it alone on skill and not the other aspects of the game.

12-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Auzzie19

LMAO at all the talk about Drouin and Monohan, IMO Shinkaruk needs some love, dude is extremely gifted (again IMO, he's in the same class as Barkov/Jones). Right now, Mackinnon is in a class of his own.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Auzzie19

As well, if anyone has been paying attention to Marlies games, Kadri has been playing the C in the "pro". It was only under Wilson that he played the wing, he is best suited as a C.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
LMAO at all the talk about Drouin and Monohan, IMO Shinkaruk needs some love, dude is extremely gifted (again IMO, he's in the same class as Barkov/Jones). Right now, Mackinnon is in a class of his own.
I really like Shinkaruk. I don't think he's in the Jones/Barkov class though.

He's right up there with Drouin and Monahan though. Maybe even ahead of them.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:18 PM
mapes

Quote:

He will. He is not physical or defensively responsible but controls the puck well, skates very well, his vision is amazing and might be the best offensive player in this draft.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:20 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

If we draft Barkov how far is he from NHL ready? also i just noticed craig button has drouin ranked 4th in his December draft rankings

Old
12-14-2012, 01:27 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneuf33 View Post
If we draft Barkov how far is he from NHL ready? also i just noticed craig button has drouin ranked 4th in his December draft rankings
From what I've read, really only seen a couple of highlight reels.... Barkov could step in to the NHL right away.

He's playing with men right now and is probably at an all-star calibre in that league.

Because of his size (6'3, 200) hed be able to play a 3rd line/supporting role in the NHL to start as he adjusts.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:32 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I really like Shinkaruk. I don't think he's in the Jones/Barkov class though.

He's right up there with Drouin and Monahan though. Maybe even ahead of them.
Shinkaruk is this draft's Kessel, and since we have a Kessel, I'd prefer not to take him unless he is the BPA. I don't think he is as good as Drouin or Monahan.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

I kind of look at the Top 10 battles like this:

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
---------------
3. Barkov
4. Monahan
5. Lindholm
---------------
6. Drouin
7. Shinkaruk
8. Ristolainen
9. Pulock
---------------
10. Lazar
11. Nichuskin
12. Morrissey

Nurse, Mantha, and Erne are also making pushes to be in the top 10 discussion as well.

12-14-2012, 01:42 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
I kind of look at the Top 10 battles like this:

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
---------------
3. Barkov
4. Monahan
5. Lindholm
---------------
6. Drouin
7. Shinkaruk
8. Ristolainen
9. Pulock
---------------
10. Lazar
11. Nichuskin
12. Morrissey

Nurse, Mantha, and Erne are also making pushes to be in the top 10 discussion as well.
Interesting. Mine:

1. MacKinnon
2. Barkov
3. Jones
-----------------
4. Lindholm
5. Drouin
-----------------
6. Monahan
7. Nichushkin
8. Shinkaruk
------------------

Then the rest.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Interesting. Mine:

1. MacKinnon
2. Barkov
3. Jones
-----------------
4. Lindholm
5. Drouin
-----------------
6. Monahan
7. Nichushkin
8. Shinkaruk
------------------

Then the rest.
Fascinating, mine:

1. MacKinnon
-----------------
2. Barkov
3. Jones
-----------------
4. Lindholm
5. Shinkaruk
6. Monahan
-----------------
6. Drouin
7. Pulock
8. Ristolainen
-----------------
9. Lazar
10. Fucale/Morrissey/Erne

I keep changing my mind, so the players together mean they're interchangeable.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:27 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Shinkaruk is this draft's Kessel, and since we have a Kessel, I'd prefer not to take him unless he is the BPA. I don't think he is as good as Drouin or Monahan.
I've never watched him play, but Shinkaruk's stats remind me of Jeff Skinner. Small, crafty, incredible hands. Can anyone who's seen him tell me how far off I am?

And my grouped list:

MacKinnon
--------------
Barkov
Jones
--------------
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm
Shinkaruk
--------------
All a guess from here. I wonder how good Nichushkin can be? Is he on the WJC Russia roster?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:17 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I've never watched him play, but Shinkaruk's stats remind me of Jeff Skinner. Small, crafty, incredible hands. Can anyone who's seen him tell me how far off I am?

And my grouped list:

MacKinnon
--------------
Barkov
Jones
--------------
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm
Shinkaruk
--------------
All a guess from here. I wonder how good Nichushkin can be? Is he on the WJC Russia roster?
From everything I have seen (Anything televised or streamed for free ) I wouldn't be surprised if he was a top 5 player out of this draft.. He has the size, explosiveness and shot to be a real offensive threat at the NHL level. Really seems to lack hockey IQ and playmaking ability however. I think he is the biggest boom/bust pick of the draft.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:51 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
From what I've read, really only seen a couple of highlight reels.... Barkov could step in to the NHL right away.

He's playing with men right now and is probably at an all-star calibre in that league.

Because of his size (6'3, 200) hed be able to play a 3rd line/supporting role in the NHL to start as he adjusts.
awesome, just have to get lucky with the draft i guess

Old
12-14-2012, 10:58 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

I think it would be amazing to have Drouin and Kadri together. They would feed off eachother insanely awesomely.

Closed Thread