HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Dark Passenger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
How is Domi underrated. His numbers are INFLATED, playing on what may be the #1 team in the country. He's got mid-late 1st written all over him.
Agreed that maybe numbers are so good due to playing on a good team, but the other side of the coin is that on a really good team he might not get the ice time. The fact he is playing quite a bit on a good team and producing, says a lot.
All I know, in the games I have seen, he was the most dangerous forward on the ice. He will probably go somewhere in the mid first round, maybe even lower, but any other year he maybe talked about as a top 10. I have a feeling both Winnipeg and NYR will look at him depending on where they are drafting.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:24 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
You're really over thinking it. Canada is just much deeper at center than they are at left wing. Drouin is probably their #3 left wing behind Hudon and Hubs. He's just more well suited for an offensive role than Hudon.

MacKinnon is a superior 3 zone player and handles way more responsibility than does Drouin. That said, offensive blue line in Drouin might just be more talented. Less of a shot but incredible hands and vision.
According to the TSN article.

Quote:
Only Jonathan Huberdeau is ahead of him on the depth chart at left wing and, for now, he's ahead of Charles Hudon, a Spott favourite, who excelled during the summer's Canada-Russia Challenge.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
All I know is I am not missing hockey too much right now. Those guys have pissed me off. If someone gave me a choice between a 40 something game season and a 6% Lottery pick right now I would choose the pick. The season has been tarnished for me. Let the young guys play their year out in the development leagues and try to make the team next season. It's not like we have a bunch of guys about to turn 34 or 35 and will drastically drop in output after a missed season.

Some good quality in the top 10 for sure.
Been sayng same thing. There probably will be a season. Looks like Fehr's plan is to hold a gun to the head of the owners and hold out to the very last minute. A shortened season means nothing IMO. For the Leafs, a mini re-tool is in order with a few contracts coming off the books in the summer. With a really good draft coming up, hope for a top 5 pick and try moving some players in an attempt to stockpile a few more picks this year. Forget Luongo...let the young goalies play it out this year, and if we need a goalie, address this in the summer.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:33 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
According to the TSN article.
Look who was one of the healthy scratches during the game against UofA. Hudon was a lock for the team. They just have different roles.

The funny thing is that I think Drouin is better than Hudon right now but I'm willing to bet that Hudon sees more ice and way more tough minutes.

I'm a big Drouin fan. Would not hesitate to take him if Mac, Jones and Barkov are off the board.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
You're really over thinking it. Canada is just much deeper at center than they are at left wing. Drouin is probably their #3 left wing behind Hudon and Hubs. He's just more well suited for an offensive role than Hudon.

MacKinnon is a superior 3 zone player and handles way more responsibility than does Drouin. That said, offensive blue line in Drouin might just be more talented. Less of a shot but incredible hands and vision.
Not only that, we all know the draft is about projecting. Not how good they are now but how good they will be in the NHL when they are in their prime. Team Canada isnt concerned at all with the draft rankings, they are trying to slot players into roles that will have the most success in short tournament, based on the players available.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Look who was one of the healthy scratches during the game against UofA. Hudon was a lock for the team. They just have different roles.

The funny thing is that I think Drouin is better than Hudon right now but I'm willing to bet that Hudon sees more ice and way more tough minutes.

I'm a big Drouin fan. Would not hesitate to take him if Mac, Jones and Barkov are off the board.
Really? I'd have to think long and hard about Monahan.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:42 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Really? I'd have to think long and hard about Monahan.
Yep. Love the high end offensive tools. The only guy I forgot and might take higher is Lindholm as I've never seen him play and have heard tons of good things about.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Yep. Love the high end offensive tools. The only guy I forgot and might take higher is Lindholm as I've never seen him play and have heard tons of good things about.
Love all 3 but I think Lindholm/Monahan are slightly better. I think Lindholm is quite possibly the highest ceiling. He has the similar playmaking ability to Drouin with a little more jam.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:22 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Not only that, we all know the draft is about projecting. Not how good they are now but how good they will be in the NHL when they are in their prime. Team Canada isnt concerned at all with the draft rankings, they are trying to slot players into roles that will have the most success in short tournament, based on the players available.
This, for them it's "who is best right now"

Drouin is so good offensively I can see him in a top 6 role. These tournaments is a lot of offence and he could be one of our biggest offensive weapons (forget his age).

I'd really like a hub - Mac - Drouin line again but likely not happening

Old
12-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Im kinda afraid we will pick 2nd and have to choose between Jones or a C. Be a lot less stressful picking just after hes gone
So true, the Rielly pick shows we go BPA and Jones has been most consistantly ranked 2nd, plus he's simply a Burke type pick. Jones does have that Norris calibre upside it would be too much to pass on imho. Might be better off at 3 slot cuz I don't think we'll ever be able to make a trade for a #1 center these days.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
So true, the Rielly pick shows we go BPA and Jones has been most consistantly ranked 2nd, plus he's simply a Burke type pick. Jones does have that Norris calibre upside it would be too much to pass on imho. Might be better off at 3 slot cuz I don't think we'll ever be able to make a trade for a #1 center these days.
Yeah I'd be torn. Jones is looking pretty sexy, but I have a huge man-crush on Barkov. Times like these where I don't envy Brian Burke

Old
12-18-2012, 10:39 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Redline Report.

Has Druin 2nd. overall.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/1778197/

Oh, and my boy Chase:

Quote:
Greg Chase: Quickly becoming a Red Line favorite out west. Shows up every night, is an effortless skater and is starting to bury his chances.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Redline Report.

Has Druin 2nd. overall.

Oh, and my boy Chase:

Is that who you got pegged for our 2nd?

What's he about? who's an NHL comparison?

Old
12-18-2012, 10:59 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Redline Report.

Has Druin 2nd. overall.

Oh, and my boy Chase:
I've never been a big fan of Red Line, but I suppose they should get some credit.

And yeah I saw that. Good to hear others are talking about him

And they mentioned both Dunn and Dauphin!

Old
12-19-2012, 04:45 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

my avatar.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:47 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I've never been a big fan of Red Line, but I suppose they should get some credit.

And yeah I saw that. Good to hear others are talking about him

And they mentioned both Dunn and Dauphin!
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...men/55579426/1

Quote:
While technically we have Rielly weighing in at No. 3 on our list, we have to hedge our bets here somewhat by saying that Red Line actually believes Rielly has the highest offensive upside of the bunch. If not for the early-November knee injury that cost him most of the season, we're confident he would have been our top rated defenseman, and perhaps as high as No. 2 overall on our draft board.
They really didn't like Grogorenko, whatever...

Old
12-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Yeah I'd be torn. Jones is looking pretty sexy, but I have a huge man-crush on Barkov. Times like these where I don't envy Brian Burke
Lets just hope we have the pick to have to make such a decision.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Is that who you got pegged for our 2nd?

What's he about? who's an NHL comparison?
He reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on it. Errol Thompson came to mind but there must be someone more recent ... Damphousse maybe (style)?

http://hockeyprospect.com/2013-nhl-d...tmpl=component

Old
12-19-2012, 09:41 AM
SarcazemKadri

http://leijonat.fi/maajoukkueet/u20/...npanoihin.html

Look at the size of Barkov. In Comparison, Armia on the other end is 6'3"

Beast.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post

Beast.
Already a man

Old
12-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Beleafer4

Quote:

Beast.
I want this guy on the leafs A LOT. He is my favorite pick.

Looking at our future core, we have tonnes of guys who get the puck to the net (Phaneuf, Kessel, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Grabovksi, the list continues)... but not a lot of guys who can pot in rebounds with the exception of JVR. Hopefully Kulemin and frattin become those guys too. Barkov would greatly help here.

Furthermore, Barkov is a perfect fit for kessel. He seems like a good puck distributer, which is what kessel needs, but will also win the majority of puck battles and take care of the defensive zone. Not only that but he seems like a master of burying rebounds, and lord knows there will be tonnes when guys like rielly, gardiner, phaneuf are on the ice. He also seems like a good finsiher, and will probably be able to convert many passing plays to the back of the net.

Barkov would also be a great net presence on the PP.

lupul-Barkov-Kessel
Rielly-Phaneuf/Gardiner

The skillz on that pp!

edit: plus I always like playing with tank centers in nhl 12. They're almost impossible to knock down

Last edited by Beleafer4: 12-19-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Already a man
And not even 17 and a half

Old
12-19-2012, 12:44 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I want this guy on the leafs A LOT. He is my favorite pick.

Looking at our future core, we have tonnes of guys who get the puck to the net (Phaneuf, Kessel, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Grabovksi, the list continues)... but not a lot of guys who can pot in rebounds with the exception of JVR. Hopefully Kulemin and frattin become those guys too. Barkov would greatly help here.

Furthermore, Barkov is a perfect fit for kessel. He seems like a good puck distributer, which is what kessel needs, but will also win the majority of puck battles and take care of the defensive zone. Not only that but he seems like a master of burying rebounds, and lord knows there will be tonnes when guys like rielly, gardiner, phaneuf are on the ice. He also seems like a good finsiher, and will probably be able to convert many passing plays to the back of the net.

Barkov would also be a great net presence on the PP.

lupul-Barkov-Kessel
Rielly-Phaneuf/Gardiner

The skillz on that pp!

edit: plus I always like playing with tank centers in nhl 12. They're almost impossible to knock down
I would absolutely love to see Barkov playing with wingers like Kessel and Lupul. Plus he has the defensive game to cover for them.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:55 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
And not even 17 and a half
I heard Barkov is really 28 years old.. and that the Finnish government has forged younger birth certificates..

Old
12-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
I heard Barkov is really 28 years old.. and that the Finnish government has forged younger birth certificates..

Talk about a late growthspurt

Closed Thread