HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

vCash: 500
That story about Pulock is really cool. I wish we could draft him for that reason but from an organizational standpoint a center would be better.

Of course many will argue its BPA, but my personal updated and uneducated list just for fun:

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Sean Monahan
4. Sascha Barkov
5. Jonathan Drouin
6. Hunter Shinkaruk
7. Elias Lindholm
8. Ryan Pulock
9. Curtis Lazar
10. Rasmus Ristolainen

HM: Max Domi - just cuz he's a Domi....and a center.

My personal favourite is Monahan.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Hunter is a big game player... We could trade Lupul for a Top 10 pick and move the lookalike on the wing with Kessel.

Shinkaruk-Monahan-Kessel

Shiny new toy syndrome.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Shinkaruk impressed me, but I'd still take Drouin first... Oh, how I wish this was EA Sports, and I could haz them all

Old
11-15-2012, 10:30 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Is barkov keeps his pace all season could he dethrone mackinnon for first overall? Everything I hear about barkov screams franchise center.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:45 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Is barkov keeps his pace all season could he dethrone mackinnon for first overall? Everything I hear about barkov screams franchise center.
Purely based on the marketability of Mackinnon, he will go behind him. If Mackinnon and Barkov are equal in terms of talent and potential the edge goes to Mackinnon. North American stars are simply more attractive.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Purely based on the marketability of Mackinnon, he will go behind him. If Mackinnon and Barkov are equal in terms of talent and potential the edge goes to Mackinnon. North American stars are simply more attractive.
For Columbus, maybe. I remember a certain Swedish centre who had no shortage of fans in the GTA.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:29 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
No Jones?
Personally, I don't want to draft another defenseman. We need forwards.

I also wouldn't mind taking a chance on Eric Comrie in the later rounds.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
I believe it was Button that said he's in the discussions for 1st overall with Jones and Mackinnon. The top 10 this upcoming draft features a lot of great forwards, any of them would honestly be a great selection.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

That's a great story done on Pulock. I'd love for us to draft him, defenceman or not.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...draft-rankings

Quote:
MacKinnon holds top spot in November ISS draft rankings

1 Nathan MacKinnon
2 Seth Jones
3 Aleksander Barkov
4 Jonathan Drouin
5 Sean Monahan
6 Curtis Lazar
7 Hunter Shinkaruk
8 Rasmus Ristolainen
9 Darnell Nurse
10 Elias Lindholm

Old
11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
For Columbus, maybe. I remember a certain Swedish centre who had no shortage of fans in the GTA.
In any market. Leafs to Columbus. If two players are identical in skill sets and potential, the North American player will go before him. Less risk, more marketability, easier for fans to have access to the players development.

When Sundin came to the leafs, he was in his fifth NHL season. He was an established star, with fluent english. At that point it makes no difference.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
surprised Nurse is that high atm.

11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
In any market. Leafs to Columbus. If two players are identical in skill sets and potential, the North American player will go before him. Less risk, more marketability, easier for fans to have access to the players development.

When Sundin came to the leafs, he was in his fifth NHL season. He was an established star, with fluent english. At that point it makes no difference.
I mean, I guess if you have two players who are carbon copies of each other? But ultimately you have to have someone ranked 1st. If Barkov has a better season or a team has him 1st on their draft board, he's not going 2nd unles that team is Columbus or NYI
or whoever, in which marketability is definitely a priority.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:33 PM
leugangen

I like Monahan as much as the next guy, but I don't like how early his birthday is tbh.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:50 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Just saying, a Rielly - Pulock pairing would look fantastic.
I've been saying this for a while now. In theory it seems like an awesome combo. In theory though.

It was just one game, so too small a sample size to come to any conclusions but Rielly and Pulock were paired together the entire game against the Russians in yesterdays Super Series game. While Rielly looked like the best player on the ice, Pulock looked tentative and out of place, perhaps because he's used to performing Rielly's role on his own team (i.e. carrying the puck up and creating offence). He had quite a few giveaways in his own zone, especially behind the net, and was invisible for the most part except when he was releasing his wicked shot from the point (and it is an exceptional shot).

Rielly and Pulock's chemistry was not great in this one game, but I hope they get another chance at it in the next one. They looked good when Rielly was feeding Pulock for one-timers from the point, but I think Rielly dominates the puck so much that Pulock did not really have the opportunity to showcase his skills.

Rielly is probably better off being paired up with a very good defensive defenceman who happens to have a wicked shot from the point, but doesn't need the puck to be effective.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:39 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
I like Monahan as much as the next guy, but I don't like how early his birthday is tbh.
Yeah I was just looking at that. Barkov and MacKinnon are also a week or so shy of being in next years draft. And Barkov is killing it in a tough mens league. The Finns are NOT soft.

A lot of older players in this draft. Seth Jones, Monahan, Shinkaruk, Ristolainen, Pulock and Lindolm all in the top of the draft are all late fall 94's.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:05 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

If the league is to cancel the season, i hope they immediately conduct the lottery so us starving fans have something to speculate/talk about.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
If the league is to cancel the season, i hope they immediately conduct the lottery so us starving fans have something to speculate/talk about.
I'm pretty sure the lockout results in the draft and draft lottery being cancelled too.

In 2005, the draft was supposed to take place at Scotiabank Place in late June as usual, but the lockout resulted in it being cancelled. The draft took place in late July with the lottery being done in mid-July, after the players and owner's had reached a tentative agreement.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...aft050713.html

11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
I've been saying this for a while now. In theory it seems like an awesome combo. In theory though.

It was just one game, so too small a sample size to come to any conclusions but Rielly and Pulock were paired together the entire game against the Russians in yesterdays Super Series game. While Rielly looked like the best player on the ice, Pulock looked tentative and out of place, perhaps because he's used to performing Rielly's role on his own team (i.e. carrying the puck up and creating offence). He had quite a few giveaways in his own zone, especially behind the net, and was invisible for the most part except when he was releasing his wicked shot from the point (and it is an exceptional shot).

Rielly and Pulock's chemistry was not great in this one game, but I hope they get another chance at it in the next one. They looked good when Rielly was feeding Pulock for one-timers from the point, but I think Rielly dominates the puck so much that Pulock did not really have the opportunity to showcase his skills.

Rielly is probably better off being paired up with a very good defensive defenceman who happens to have a wicked shot from the point, but doesn't need the puck to be effective.
I think Pulock and Rielly would be terrific together, there was once a tandem Calgary had names Macinnis and Suter, they won 1 cup together. Probably would have been a few more had not been a team named the Oilers were around.

For whatever reason Rielly wasn't as effective last night as he was with Pulock the night before. Coincidence or not, I think these 2 could be very effective together. Ryan is effectively still one draft year younger than Morgan it showed at times, but I see a lot of upside as he continues to develop. Would be cool given the background of his personal story.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:17 AM
ErikP803

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post

Old
11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I think Pulock and Rielly would be terrific together, there was once a tandem Calgary had names Macinnis and Suter, they won 1 cup together. Probably would have been a few more had not been a team named the Oilers were around.

For whatever reason Rielly wasn't as effective last night as he was with Pulock the night before. Coincidence or not, I think these 2 could be very effective together. Ryan is effectively still one draft year younger than Morgan it showed at times, but I see a lot of upside as he continues to develop. Would be cool given the background of his personal story.
Pulock really wasn't that effective the night before. So I'll go with coincidence. Plus I don't see a reason to take Pulock if we don't have to, with Phaneuf. I'll take him if he's the BPA but by my count, there are 7 or 8 players better than him at this point.

And effectively a draft year younger? Semantics really. Pulock is only 7 months younger than Rielly and has actually played more games than him, and played an identical number of seasons in the WHL. So I'm not really getting that argument.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Pulock really wasn't that effective the night before. So I'll go with coincidence. Plus I don't see a reason to take Pulock if we don't have to, with Phaneuf. I'll take him if he's the BPA but by my count, there are 7 or 8 players better than him at this point.

And effectively a draft year younger? Semantics really. Pulock is only 7 months younger than Rielly and has actually played more games than him, and played an identical number of seasons in the WHL. So I'm not really getting that argument.
Pulock has an NHL skillset. Maybe his potential isnt sky high but he will be a good pick.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:38 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I'm in agreeance that asidefrom one rocket of a shot, Pulock didn't do much that was impressive in the Subway Series. I can realize his solid skating, and he has a Howitzer, but the fact of the matter is, there would have to be 8-9 off the board before even looking in his direction.

Feel-good stories are fine and all, but we need to add an elite piece up front more than anything, and there's a good chance we'll be able to do that this year.

My (personal) Top 5:
1. MacKinnon
2. Barkov
3. Jones
4. Drouin
5. Monahan

Old
11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post

My post subway series rankings.

1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Nichushkin
4. Monahan
*5. Bartov(on video and press only)
6. Pulock
7. Shinkarov
8. Drouin

Pulock may have not been Rielly on Wed, but he was right there with Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, and Siemens.

3 of the 4 top 7 picks so he is right there with good co.

We have all winter and spring to debate this one. I love the kid and he will get better.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

My top 5 has the same players as you, Interactif, just slightly diff order. Right now I have Barkov at 3 and Nichushkin at 5. I need to see more of those 2 and Monahan though before I can feel satisfied with my rankings.

Closed Thread