HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Sharpening Stones

Old
11-11-2012, 07:42 PM
windycity

vCash: 500
Skate Sharpening Stones

Apologies if already a thread on this but does anyone use skate sharpeners between having their skates sharpened professionally? I've heard that they can prolong the time needed to go between pro sharpenings but I have zero experience with them. If they are good, any recommended brands/models?

Thanks!

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
ean

Do you mean a hone? Yes they are used by a lot of people. They wont exactly sharpen your skates per se, but can help remove certain burs or nicks.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Do you mean a hone? Yes they are used by a lot of people. They wont exactly sharpen your skates per se, but can help remove certain burs or nicks.
Yup that's what I mean. Is it worth getting one?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have two of these, and recommend them highly: Miraclestone

A lot of the cheap stones at the hockey shops are rocks with sandpaper glued on them. They will scratch the hell out of your skates. The Miraclestone is a true whet stone which removes the burrs. And they are cheap.

I don't like sharp skates so I usually only get them sharpened every 2-3 months. I will use the Miraclestone maybe once a month if that. I'm lazy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Yup that's what I mean. Is it worth getting one?
They are not bad to have around and cost less than 10$ usually, so I'd say they're worth it. Usually someone in the locker room has one, though.

They also make something called a "sweet stick", you may check those out.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
JR97

I've got a sweet stick. It doesn't sharpen per se. What it does is sort of fold in the edges. It's saved my butt a few times. Just last week I must have stepped on something because I had no inside edge at all on one of my skates. A couple of swipes with the sweet stick between periods gave me an edge back. A buddy of mine hasn't had his sharpened in probably 9 months and just keeps using my sweet stick. He's not exactly the most deft of skaters so it's all the same to him, I guess.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote