HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

TWC to name major winter storms

Old
11-11-2012, 12:40 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
TWC to name major winter storms

weatherchannel: The Weather Channel will begin naming major winter storms for this #winter season. Details: http://t.co/TfU2kvdE

Think like the hurricane naming scheme, but for big storms that dump lots of snow/precipitation and/or hang around forever.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

This news came out a while ago. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

The National Hurricane Center is an official government agency that names storms for a way to differentiate what is what. It is an accepted and common practice. Everyone uses it because it is official.

TWC, which is not an official government agency like the NHC or NOAA, is doing this winter thing completely on its own, and not all weather agencies have accepted it. This is going to lead to confusion. Already I see media reports saying Nor'Easter rather than Winter Storm Athena.

Further more, what is to stop TWC from expanding it to summer thunderstorm events? Will we get Summerstorm Tom followed by Heatwave Joe in some spots and Fog Event Larry in other spots? Yes, I know TWC claims it has fundamental reasoning of when to name a storm, much like there is with a hurricane, but at some point, enough is enough. Leave the names to hurricanes, and don't name everything under the sun.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
Pretty stupid idea. They are foolish for thinking that giving a name to storm is going to alert more people on how bad it is going to be. Most people who get these storms know how to prepare because it happens multiple times every year.

Stick to giving nicknames to the most important ones, like the Storm of the Century - Blizzard of 96 - Snowtober .. etc .. Don't name some stupid storm that drops 8 inches of snow in the upper midwest and not a sole bats an eye.

Leave the names to hurricanes.

Last edited by Smoke: 11-11-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:10 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Still laughing about it today. At this pace they'll have 2 named storms per week, with somewhat ridiculous names to boot. It's like TWC is "discrediting" hurricanes by naming common snowstorms. I mean, who is going to remember Brutus? Nobody. The good news is no other tv channel or media is following up to TWC.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
They tried this once before and stopped. I almost think it's so they can start new hash tags on Twitter. I kinda like how they name storms based on the event like 'Ash Wednesday Storm' and 'White Juan'

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
weatherchannel: The Weather Channel will begin naming major winter storms for this #winter season. Details: http://t.co/TfU2kvdE

Think like the hurricane naming scheme, but for big storms that dump lots of snow/precipitation and/or hang around forever.
So maybe this year

Blizzard Matt hits Chicago?

Seems stupid ,, I like they way they do it now and as GKJ said they give memorable storms nicknames

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:59 AM
blue425

Has the potential to be cool, but only if they only name the super giant storms (18+ inches of snow), and only if the storms are named after vikings.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They tried this once before and stopped. I almost think it's so they can start new hash tags on Twitter. I kinda like how they name storms based on the event like 'Ash Wednesday Storm' and 'White Juan'
Nailed it.

That why their storm gets more hype, more media coverage, and more people tuning into TWC or Weather.com

If done right, I won't mind, but if done right means only the HUGE storms, like the 1-2 a season. Not every time its snows 3-6 inches somewhere.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Gotta try to become all that relevant again somehow I guess. Unlike with Tropical Storms there's really no good way to do this, I'll be shocked if it lasts more then a couple winters.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
I nominate the ********* storm as "Fehr".

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

weatherchannel 7:40am via HootSuite How Social Media Drove The Weather Channel to Name Blizzards shar.es/4KuJv via @THR

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

So when Heatwave Hanna collides with Cold Front Charlie, we'll have Tornado Tommy, Thunderstorm Tina, etc?

Yet another reason to continue ignoring TWC.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Has anyone's local weather stations been naming the winter storms? TWC must think they're NOAA I guess

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
WinterStormNancy
Rookie User

"Dangerous Winter Storm Helen"

"...a swath of 1-4" of snow accumulations..."

How can TWC take themselves seriously? They are literally naming every time it snows. This is, like, the very definition of asinine.

WinterStormNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:06 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Has anyone's local weather stations been naming the winter storms? TWC must think they're NOAA I guess
The Weather Network hasn't done it here in Canada. Otherwise we'd be running out of names after a month...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote