HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Which is a more pressing need?

View Poll Results: Which need is more pressing?
Top D-man 45 88.24%
High Scoring Winger 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2012, 01:26 AM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

vCash: 500
Which is a more pressing need?

Hey fellow Avs fans,

I think the major consensus among Avs fans is that our two most pressing needs are a #1 or 2 D-man to pair with EJ or a high scoring winger. I was wondering what you guys think is more pressing. On paper, I would say the D-man but stats suggest that we need more scoring(Duchene did have a down year however and is expected to bounce back and we added P.A Parenteau).

So which is the more pressing need?

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:45 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Top D-Man because Duchene and Landeskog have the potential to turn into high scoring forwards while we have no one to play beside EJ. Plus we have a ton of depth on offense while on defense we have EJ, a couple of decent defensemen (Hejda and O'Byrne) and a bunch of scrubs.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Defense.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:47 AM
BoxOfChocolates

Although I do think that we really lack a true 1st line goal scorer, I find that our current depth is sufficient for the time being. So I'll go with a top pairing d-man.

Last edited by BoxOfChocolates: 11-13-2012 at 11:12 AM.
BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
KingSizeKirby
#WhyNotUs?

vCash: 50
Top d-man, need it more then a winger.

KingSizeKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Mant*

We've had one of the lowest scoring teams in the league the last few years... we don't currently have anyone who can take over a game and score the big goals.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
We've had one of the lowest scoring teams in the league the last few years... we don't currently have anyone who can take over a game and score the big goals.
and it's mostly because our defense sucks. We need puck-moving defenseman.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Dman by ten miles. I know it's spilled milk, and I know Colorado never had a shot at him anyway, but getting Suter would have filled the biggest hole on this team.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
and it's mostly because our defense sucks. We need puck-moving defenseman.
Uh, no. Our offense sucked when we had puck moving defensemen too. We've got the most pathetic scoring lines in the league.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:50 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Uh, no. Our offense sucked when we had puck moving defensemen too. We've got the most pathetic scoring lines in the league.
I don't think it falls entirely on our offensive lines, I think its that our players have been misused at a lot of times. And if we had the PMD's we wouldnt have such a hard time in the neutral zone agains defensive teams, which would equate to a lot more goals.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
I don't think it falls entirely on our offensive lines, I think its that our players have been misused at a lot of times. And if we had the PMD's we wouldnt have such a hard time in the neutral zone agains defensive teams, which would equate to a lot more goals.
Tell me who on the team actually has a good sense of goal scoring. Stastny continuously misses empty nets, Duchene tries stupid moves that make him lose the puck before he has a chance to shoot, Jones is inconsistent at best, and Landeskog is still an unknown because although he is willing to shoot, he's not very accurate.

We have no 1st line scoring, because we have no first line... we have a collection of second and fourth liners.

Sure, better defense would be great... but we're still going to lose a ton of games 2-1 until we get some real scorers.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:56 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Tell me who on the team actually has a good sense of goal scoring. Stastny continuously misses empty nets, Duchene tries stupid moves that make him lose the puck before he has a chance to shoot, Jones is inconsistent at best, and Landeskog is still an unknown because although he is willing to shoot, he's not very accurate.

We have no 1st line scoring, because we have no first line... we have a collection of second and fourth liners.

Sure, better defense would be great... but we're still going to lose a ton of games 2-1 until we get some real scorers.
I agree with most of this, but if you think that as of now forwards are more of a pressing need than a partner for EJ than you haven't been watching the Avs this past year. I mean O'Brien as a top line D is/was absolutely frightening.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:55 AM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:

why dont you wait till you see duchene not playing injured w/ an actual winger in parenteau before you write him off as a career 2nd liner, and instead of plugging the next biggest hole which is clearly defense you would spend to the cap or trade away young developing players to bring in other teams scraps or rentals for a team thats no where near contending yet? you have to remember the rebuild just started 3 years ago, this team still has growing to do. It takes time for a team to form into something successful. Once you have a solid core then you add a scoring winger through a trade or f.a.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
why dont you wait till you see duchene not playing injured w/ an actual winger in parenteau before you write him off as a career 2nd liner, and instead of plugging the next biggest hole which is clearly defense you would spend to the cap or trade away young developing players to bring in other teams scraps or rentals for a team thats no where near contending yet? you have to remember the rebuild just started 3 years ago, this team still has growing to do. It takes time for a team to form into something successful. Once you have a solid core then you add a scoring winger through a trade or f.a.
Duchene has only had anything resembling chemistry with one player since entering the NHL, Fleischmann, so I'm skeptical that Parenteau will be what magically fixes his game.

By the way, the rebuild began longer than 3 years ago... 3 years ago is just when the Avs started sucking so badly enough that rebuilding was possible through the draft.

No team is successful without a one-two punch... the Avs don't even have one punch... they have an open hand slap and a kick to the shin. Team is going nowhere until they get real scoring talent, especially considering the defense is currently the best it's been since the previous lockout.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Duchene has only had anything resembling chemistry with one player since entering the NHL, Fleischmann, so I'm skeptical that Parenteau will be what magically fixes his game.

By the way, the rebuild began longer than 3 years ago... 3 years ago is just when the Avs started sucking so badly enough that rebuilding was possible through the draft.

No team is successful without a one-two punch... the Avs don't even have one punch... they have an open hand slap and a kick to the shin. Team is going nowhere until they get real scoring talent, especially considering the defense is currently the best it's been since the previous lockout.
I kind of wish we gave Semin a shot, even for that price if it were one year. The reward vs. risk may have been enormous.

Semin - Duchene - Parenteau would be a real threat to opposition teams in my opinion. I also thought Duchene had good chemistry with Mueller, who I am still gutted about not being re-signed.

Assuming Mcginn, Stazz and Jones may be our top line next season, your right about production though. Considering COMBINED, they totaled 127 points, versus say Malkin, who got 109 on his own, it makes you think, where IS the scoring upside going to come from?

Like others have said though, a consistent, you know what you get puck moving D-man is a massive hole we have left vacant (my hope is Barrie steps up, originally I had hoped it was Elliott).

So I think everyone in this thread is right. We equally need a blue chip goal scorer. We equally need a puck moving D-man. Aside from that (and maybe a new coach), we are ok.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote