HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Moral bankruptcy displayed by Papa John

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2012, 02:07 PM
  #51
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 19.5%
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
He said he'll be raising the cost of each pizza by those amounts, meaning he'll be adding that cost to the end of it. Meaning it'll go from $10 for a large to tweaking each price that extra amount.

You're making this more difficult than need be.
I assume he meant cost of making the pizza, not cost the customer sees since this is about employee expenses

Either way...I don't see the issue...a business cutting costs isn't exactly headline news stuff

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:08 PM
  #52
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 19.5%
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Some places you can but others around me have them for $12, $10, $14. All depends on the place.
Right, that's why it's not really solid ground to argue on haha

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:10 PM
  #53
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American
 
Ilkka Sinisalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth, W.A.
Country: Australia
Posts: 11,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
No one is forced to work anywhere. However, these poor workers will be forced to work less and less hours yet still be insured under the fascist Obamacare laws.
Fascist???

Maybe go back to posting Alex Jones videos, because you suck at this.

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:13 PM
  #54
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,458
vCash: 500
This is getting silly. 10% of $10 dollars is $1.00. If you don't think that the buying power of Papa Johns is not getting at least a 10% reduction of cost in ingredients alone I don't know what to tell you. Not to mention being able to buy national advertising vs local advertising.

They are competing with Domino's and Pizza Hut. Not your local pizza shop. Hell, they aren't even competing with Round Table.

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:19 PM
  #55
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 19.5%
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
This is getting silly. 10% of $10 dollars is $1.00. If you don't think that the buying power of Papa Johns is not getting at least a 10% reduction of cost in ingredients alone I don't know what to tell you. Not to mention being able to buy national advertising vs local advertising.

They are competing with Domino's and Pizza Hut. Not your local pizza shop. Hell, they aren't even competing with Round Table.
Papa Johns doesn't compete with the local pizza shop? Yikes.

Either way again...a business which is going to have it's costs raised is trying to find a way to lower those costs. Not a big deal, not news worthy.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
  #56
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Papa Johns doesn't compete with the local pizza shop? Yikes.

Either way again...a business which is going to have it's costs raised is trying to find a way to lower those costs. Not a big deal, not news worthy.
That's your opinion. I think a company screwing their workers vs raising their price a little bit is news worthy and they won't be getting my money.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:23 PM
  #57
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 19.5%
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
That's your opinion. I think a company screwing their workers vs raising their price a little bit is news worthy and they won't be getting my money.
We'd have alot of news and few places to spend our money if that was the case

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:26 PM
  #58
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
We'd have alot of news and few places to spend our money if that was the case
Way to over generalize.

I happen to favor Obamacare over what we had. Health Care is an important issue for me. Someone getting ******** over losing and taking it out on their employees offends me. I'm just one guy, but I'll vote with my wallet on this one.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:30 PM
  #59
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Well to be honest what I felt needed to be said with my opinion towards your post had been previously said. Further misspelling such a common word as "college" in an attempt to break down, intelligently, anything, is a good way to void any attempt at looking bright.

All that said, if you'd like me to (further) contribute allow me to say that my local Papa John's is staffed heavily by college aged adults and adults in their late 20s to mid 30s who needed A job during hard times. Your experience is different but don't take your experience to be the same as others.

Further college aged adults being in college doesn't make them any less deserving of health coverage than the 25+ that work to make our pizzas and deliver them.

On to your numbers: Papa John himself may be worth that much but his worth continues to grow with each year. You act as if self worth is static. Therefore there's a slim likelihood that he would be wiped out clean in three years in your very awkward scenario. You're also basing it on EVERY ONE of those employees suddenly taking on the bronze plan, when let's say 1/3 already have that plan. That changes this immensely.

Also the fact that John had stated in the past that should "Obamacare" pass he would have to raise the cost of every pizza by 14 cents. Now he's saying he'll have to raise them by 50 cents and that employers will cut back hours. His math is exceedingly fuzzy.
Firstly, I never claimed anyone was undeserving of healthcare. I claimed the exact opposite a few posts up. What I'm claiming is that many people do not create enough economic value for their employers to make it possible for their employers to afford increases employee benefits.

Using your number of employees 10,000 people at ~$5000 a year we get $50,000,000 a year. That immense change buys him another 2 years before bankruptcy. The other counter point you offer is that his net worth is not static. It took him more that 25 years to get where he is now, but he obviously makes more now than he did in the 90's. Let's pull $25 million out of the air as a rough guess of his annual income. That buys another 5 years before bankruptcy.

So if John Schnatter worked the next decade for free and gave up all his worldly goods he could pay for his employees' healthcare for 10 years give or take.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:32 PM
  #60
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American
 
Ilkka Sinisalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth, W.A.
Country: Australia
Posts: 11,068
vCash: 500
I think this is what Al Gore was talking about when he referred to "fuzzy math."

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:36 PM
  #61
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,540
vCash: 500
Can't they just put 3 fewer pepperonis on each pizza and cover the cost that way?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
  #62
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 19.5%
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Way to over generalize.

I happen to favor Obamacare over what we had. Health Care is an important issue for me. Someone getting ******** over losing and taking it out on their employees offends me. I'm just one guy, but I'll vote with my wallet on this one.
and I don't see it as "******** over losing" but countering the rising cost of business that will take place starting next year.

agree to disagree though

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
  #63
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
and I don't see it as "******** over losing" but countering the rising cost of business that will take place starting next year.

agree to disagree though
Let's see...

He was gonna raise prices a few cents and that didn't seem to bother people. So he said he was gonna raise prices 50 cents and that didn't seem to bother people. So now he's gonna cut peoples hours.

If that doesn't spell out ******** to you then it's a lost cause and yes, at that point, we'll have to agree to disagree as to how you determine ********.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:56 PM
  #64
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Yeah. I personally find the idea that your health insurance should be tied to your employment to be one hell of a mistake.
Didn't used to be.

That only came about during the wage freezes of WWII (IIRC). Since employers couldn't offer more money to entice employees, they gave perks instead. Enter employer paid insurance.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:58 PM
  #65
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Cutting hours has been an anticipated result for a long time now. First of many unintended consequences for PPACA.

Papa John's isn't even the first. Others have announced they are taking this route months ago.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
  #66
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Cutting hours has been an anticipated result for a long time now. First of many unintended consequences for PPACA.

Papa John's isn't even the first. Others have announced they are taking this route months ago.
Sounds like political rhetoric to me.

What companies? I bet they were already doing it. I don't know anyone in retail aside from managers that have been able to get full time employment in the last decade here in the Bay Area. Most national chains already offer insurance to full time employees and their way to cut costs for years has been to deny people more than 30 hours a week.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:06 PM
  #67
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Mexico
Posts: 8,139
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Didn't used to be.

That only came about during the wage freezes of WWII (IIRC). Since employers couldn't offer more money to entice employees, they gave perks instead. Enter employer paid insurance.
Correct. Most people aren't actually aware of this.

Quote:
Our employment-based system was not the product of a carefully designed health policy. It was a byproduct of evading wage controls during World War II.

At the time it was thought that, as the nation’s drafted military personnel risked their limbs and life on foreign battlefields at low, tightly controlled pay, those who stayed behind should have their wages controlled as well.

But with the wink of the eye with which Congress routinely puts loopholes into the tax laws or regulations it imposes, the wage controls imposed in World War II did not extend to fringe benefits. And thus, employer-paid fringe benefits, including employment-based health insurance, were born.

As was noted in last week’s post, Congress further encouraged the growth of employment-based health insurance by treating the employers’ contribution to their employees’ health insurance as a tax-deductible business expense. On the other hand, it was also not viewed as taxable compensation of the employee.
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-worth-saving/

Today the tax subsidy is worth about $300 billion a year.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:28 PM
  #68
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
I hear that Pappa John is relying upon the considered advice of the well-known US law firm of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:39 PM
  #69
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
So in order to make us much money as he can he will cut hours to make sure he does not have to cover insurance for his employees. He keeps them in a part-time status instead.
That's exactly what turns off people from the Republicans. They don't give a **** about their workers, it's just about squeezing out as much money as they can without showing any responsibility for their guys. I understand it's a business but it doesn't excuse this at all.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/j...undefined.gbpl




Sure you did.
Let's blame this on "socialism" once again.
How about Democrats start throwing around another catch-word like Republicans successfully do all the time? How about one straight out of the Bible? Greed.

They should publicly start calling this kind of misanthropic behavior greed.
What a stupid response.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:47 PM
  #70
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Sounds like political rhetoric to me.

What companies? I bet they were already doing it. I don't know anyone in retail aside from managers that have been able to get full time employment in the last decade here in the Bay Area. Most national chains already offer insurance to full time employees and their way to cut costs for years has been to deny people more than 30 hours a week.
Darden announced their hour reduction last month. Several advisement firms I have worked with have been advising their mid-sized employers to reduce hours as well.

But your point stands, it is SOP for many chains to keep weekly hours to 32 or less (or whatever qualifies for part-time in that state). Far less obligations for PT staff as opposed to FT.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:05 PM
  #71
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Darden announced their hour reduction last month. Several advisement firms I have worked with have been advising their mid-sized employers to reduce hours as well.

But your point stands, it is SOP for many chains to keep weekly hours to 32 or less (or whatever qualifies for part-time in that state). Far less obligations for PT staff as opposed to FT.
Are employers now required to pay the full cost? My last company only paid 50% and the one before 25%. I'm not sure of the percentage now, but I pay about $70 a month. That may change next week as we have a health coverage meeting next week for the coming year.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
  #72
MrAlfie
 
MrAlfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rehab
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
What a stupid response.
When stupid is around you never seem to be far away AP.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:06 PM
  #73
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
When stupid is around you never seem to be far away AP.
A peeping AP?

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
  #74
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Are employers now required to pay the full cost? My last company only paid 50% and the one before 25%. I'm not sure of the percentage now, but I pay about $70 a month. That may change next week as we have a health coverage meeting next week for the coming year.
They are required to put $X per FTE towards healthcare, yes. (forgot what the amount was, I believe it varies by state).

When $X used to be 0 for many, it represents a significant increase. For many, cutting down hours and paying the penalty is less expensive.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:28 PM
  #75
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
When stupid is around you never seem to be far away AP.
The latest Big Bang Theory episode... The Stupid Molecule Attraction???

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.