HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lockout Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
The Kings weren't even scheduled to play on opening night this season.
Anything can happen on a revamped schedule.

12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Update on games cancelled: to December 30.

****ing NHL. Unbelievable. I can see it now...first Kings home game, December 31, NYE. And I might not be able to see the banner raised, because I have (possibly) another commitment.

I mean, you have got to be ****ing kidding me. Did anyone else see this coming? I did, as soon as Bettman blew up at the reporter suggesting a pre-determined January 1 start date. I just KNEW this might happen.

And if they do this to us Kings fans at this late date, there will be a huge ****ing hue and cry. They need to set up that first home date on January 2 or later (if it comes to pass).

I repeat: ****ing NHL.
I had reported this earlier and agree with you as usual Ron. I will also say that I have heard and reported the 1/1/13 NHL season start date for over a month now right here on these boards and am only repeating what I have heard from players coaches a GM and several agents since late September.

The details seem to flicker around and the level(s) of optimism ebb and flow but the facts remain the same so far and they simply that from the start there has been a 1/1/13 date (of course 12/31/12 is also a possibility) being tossed around from the get go and it is starting to look more and more like if we are to have a season at all (something that up until very recently I didn't even really consider the possibility of not happening) it will start during the beginning of the new year.

To me this is where the total amount of B.S. sits in this entire situation. I am not only not effected professionally by the NHL strike but am actually profiting as a result of it but as a fan it is just another example to me of professional sports failing to realize the value of the fans in the manner in which they run their businesses.

Sure they care about us when it comes to raising the cost of beer or ticket prices or how many advertisements they can cram into every part of the fan experience (just wait until they start allowing teams to sell space on their jerseys a la EU which has been discussed several times and about to be allowed) but the fact that we are a somewhat fragile group who are also experiencing a difficult financial time as a continent doesn't seem to matter at all.

Fine, we are fans and they own the product but there are other ways that are equally entertaining and some including myself would argue more so exciting ways of getting our hockey fix and unlike the 04 lock out there are more then enough signs that the average hockey fan are doing so and in great numbers.

I spend several nights a week at different levels of hockey, mostly amateur but some pro as well (AHL and as of next month KHL and SEL) and where I used to literally walk up to the arena staff at most rinks and shake the hand of the kid working the door and not get asked a single question I am now waiting in line with press guys and other hockey people to get in on most nights no matter where I am.

The arena's are more often then not full from NCAA hockey to the ECHL and even the USHL games too. I have been to a few cuthroat games this year (Denver's newest hockey craze) and they are at capacity most nights as well. Try and get tickets to a Kamloops or Kelowna game on the weekend and it can get close.

People still love hockey and I am not saying that we won't return to watching the highest level of competition once the game returns but where we will be watching it from might be allot different then where we would have before this current lock out to end all lock outs.

I know that I plan on going to fewer NHL games this season given the chance and really am only planning on attending a Kings game one time so that I can see with my own eyes our cup banner hanging from the ceiling. I waited for more than 3 decades to see that and they won't take that away from me.

I may have to pay an arm and a leg to see it but I will pay the price, once.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Update on games cancelled: to December 30.

****ing NHL. Unbelievable. I can see it now...first Kings home game, December 31, NYE. And I might not be able to see the banner raised, because I have (possibly) another commitment.

I mean, you have got to be ****ing kidding me. Did anyone else see this coming? I did, as soon as Bettman blew up at the reporter suggesting a pre-determined January 1 start date. I just KNEW this might happen.

And if they do this to us Kings fans at this late date, there will be a huge ****ing hue and cry. They need to set up that first home date on January 2 or later (if it comes to pass).

I repeat: ****ing NHL.
Ron, you are hilarious. As far as I know, we don't even have a season....and at this point, we'll be lucky if we get one. But you're *****ing about what you think would be the start date?? That's awesome.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

http://vimeo.com/55149830

Fan protest video. It's gaining traction.

I would like to pledge myself at this point in time, and if I miss the banner raising game, I probably will. Unfortunately, I took the "interest-option" thinking the lockout would be short, and have prepaid for this season already. I guess I can always ask for a refund...but don't want to miss another potential historic playoff run.

So I am torn.

Another oddity about the video: why is Shane Doan the host of the video?

Old
12-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Ron, you are hilarious. As far as I know, we don't even have a season....and at this point, we'll be lucky if we get one. But you're *****ing about what you think would be the start date?? That's awesome.
I have been following the meetings closely and it is my belief they will get a deal done soon.

And that the start date would indeed be December 31.

Of course, part of the "rant" is for amusement purposes, so I guess you found it that way...but possibly not on the same plane.

Oh well.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I had reported this earlier and agree with you as usual Ron. I will also say that I have heard and reported the 1/1/13 NHL season start date for over a month now right here on these boards and am only repeating what I have heard from players coaches a GM and several agents since late September.

The details seem to flicker around and the level(s) of optimism ebb and flow but the facts remain the same so far and they simply that from the start there has been a 1/1/13 date (of course 12/31/12 is also a possibility) being tossed around from the get go and it is starting to look more and more like if we are to have a season at all (something that up until very recently I didn't even really consider the possibility of not happening) it will start during the beginning of the new year.

To me this is where the total amount of B.S. sits in this entire situation. I am not only not effected professionally by the NHL strike but am actually profiting as a result of it but as a fan it is just another example to me of professional sports failing to realize the value of the fans in the manner in which they run their businesses.

Sure they care about us when it comes to raising the cost of beer or ticket prices or how many advertisements they can cram into every part of the fan experience (just wait until they start allowing teams to sell space on their jerseys a la EU which has been discussed several times and about to be allowed) but the fact that we are a somewhat fragile group who are also experiencing a difficult financial time as a continent doesn't seem to matter at all.

Fine, we are fans and they own the product but there are other ways that are equally entertaining and some including myself would argue more so exciting ways of getting our hockey fix and unlike the 04 lock out there are more then enough signs that the average hockey fan are doing so and in great numbers.

I spend several nights a week at different levels of hockey, mostly amateur but some pro as well (AHL and as of next month KHL and SEL) and where I used to literally walk up to the arena staff at most rinks and shake the hand of the kid working the door and not get asked a single question I am now waiting in line with press guys and other hockey people to get in on most nights no matter where I am.

The arena's are more often then not full from NCAA hockey to the ECHL and even the USHL games too. I have been to a few cuthroat games this year (Denver's newest hockey craze) and they are at capacity most nights as well. Try and get tickets to a Kamloops or Kelowna game on the weekend and it can get close.

People still love hockey and I am not saying that we won't return to watching the highest level of competition once the game returns but where we will be watching it from might be allot different then where we would have before this current lock out to end all lock outs.

I know that I plan on going to fewer NHL games this season given the chance and really am only planning on attending a Kings game one time so that I can see with my own eyes our cup banner hanging from the ceiling. I waited for more than 3 decades to see that and they won't take that away from me.

I may have to pay an arm and a leg to see it but I will pay the price, once.
Agreed. You and I are in the same boat. Long-suffering Kings fans who have finally realized something at times we NEVER thought would happen.

Let's face it, if this was the Kings of 2006-07, I would take the pledge above (see above video) without hesitation. But the reality is what it is. Fans of crappy teams can go "all in" in such a situation; we just can't given the circumstances.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:49 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
http://vimeo.com/55149830

Fan protest video. It's gaining traction.

I would like to pledge myself at this point in time, and if I miss the banner raising game, I probably will. Unfortunately, I took the "interest-option" thinking the lockout would be short, and have prepaid for this season already. I guess I can always ask for a refund...but don't want to miss another potential historic playoff run.

So I am torn.

Another oddity about the video: why is Shane Doan the host of the video?
Tempting, but not the year after Kings won the cup.(meaning not watching games)

Must be his long time unknown hidden brother.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:11 AM
br3ds0x

Quote:
Question: Have they moved the other Kings banners yet to the rafters? It's a given they will, just wondering if it had already been done.
Nope, still against the wall.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:54 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
That would make sense to me. MR is one of the Kings players who I really don't have contact with at all. I have seen him over the past few years and even sat at a table with him once at a charity event right before his draft but other than brief casual chat I don't know the guy.

Judging by his character though I can't imagine that waiting to play hockey is something that he is handling really well especially when he has a long term deal all locked up.

One King who is really struggling with the layoff that I know of is Kyle Clifford who, while still playing is desperate to get back to the NHL and prove he belongs as an anchor of our checking line for the next several years. He is fire and vinegar about having to wait to get to playing.
If I was Clifford, I would want to get back to NHL ice too. The kids job is on the line this year.

Sutter has options on that fourth line. No longer are the Kings staff going to be impressed with Clifford's size/ potential.

Clifford has to show something this year.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:56 AM
damacles1156

Provided we get a 55/48 game schedule. What team do you guys want to see as the home opener ?

It will likely be a Western Conference team, or division team.

If I am the schedule maker, I put the Nucks/Kings for the banner raising game....Talk about bad blood.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:33 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Provided we get a 55/48 game schedule. What team do you guys want to see as the home opener ?

If I am the schedule maker, I put the Nucks/Kings for the banner raising game....Talk about bad blood.
I think Bettman's drop dead date is 12/17. I have a feeling all along that was his goal. That if he couldn't strong arm the players by then, he'd negotiate. That gives the players the 10 day min. camp and a 55 games or so season beg around Jan 1.
I read somewhere that Bettman has a new schedule set and it would be interdivisional and conference only.
Also, there was a rumor that the nHL is thinking about (if the deal is done this week) starting Jan 1 and having a hockey day of sorts, where there would be 4 Nationally televised games , 2 games per conference with marquis rivals. You would think the Stanley Cup champs would round out the night ,say 9 pm start and the Canucks would be the obvious choice.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I saw Games 4 and 6 of the SCF live and watched Dustin Brown lift the cup. It doesn't get any better than that as a fan.

Now they can all go f themselves. I will still go to games to be entertained, but I won't be buying into any of the hype or BS from either side about how much they love the fans.

TG is right, the only thing the players and owners care about in regard to the fans is the dollar in our wallets.

At this point I hope the season is cancelled.

Last edited by KINGS17: 12-11-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:21 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The two sides will meet in NYC this Wed again and I believe that we will have see an agreement made shortly there after. I am again wildly optimistic that we will see an NHL season begin early13. SOME teams (one that we all love) have contacted staff hockey personnel about potential return to play soon.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:29 AM
DaAnimal

If the make whole as fehr stated has been agreed upon, then there should be no reason why hockey won't be starting anytime soon.

All they need to do is scratch each others backs and hug it out. Let bygones be bygones.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:36 AM
scramble91

Quote:
The two sides will meet in NYC this Wed again and I believe that we will have see an agreement made shortly there after. I am again wildly optimistic that we will see an NHL season begin early13. SOME teams (one that we all love) have contacted staff hockey personnel about potential return to play soon.
Thanks for the optimism tg. Always appreciate your insight.

I just want hockey. Even though I am primarily pro-owner in this whole ordeal, I think our favorite 3rd line center said it best... Both sides haven't handled this well... I still think GBs pressed was epic lol

Jumping the gun, I'm curious on how jq is Doing since he had surgery, etc. I know he practiced with Manchester but is he still there? Our kids are playing in Manchester, and a few guys are skating in la. Just a tad worried about Richards, Mitchell, and a few others conditioning going into a short action packed season (everyone will be gunning for a playoff spot). Sutter is good at keeping the intensity, but in a short season, anything can happen.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post

The Ducks first home game after winning the Cup was against Boston. The Kings were supposed to play the Rangers. Two big east coast cities/teams playing on the west coast when banners go up. Two teams with no real connection to either the Ducks or Kings.

Vancouver, Phoenix, or Anaheim sounds about right. San Jose could be thrown into the mix, just for fun. Any of those 4 would make sense.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Here is my prediction: if the season is canceled, the Kings will play zero games this year.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:03 PM
deeshamrock

Sounds like maybe there is something afoot...this from an insider's twitter

Quote:
******* ******** @*************** 1h
Spezza/Turris/Zidlicky/MDZ/Patrick Kane are among players returning shortly/who have already returned recently from Europe. Something's up.
View details ·
Perhaps the recent phone conference was more prosperous than we know.Negotiations happening behind the scenes. Wednesday will be interesting
View details ·
Asked #Sens player preparing return to North America if GM/coach asked him to come back: "I can't say yes, but I won't say no either".
View details ·

Old
12-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
If the make whole as fehr stated has been agreed upon, then there should be no reason why hockey won't be starting anytime soon.

All they need to do is scratch each others backs and hug it out. Let bygones be bygones.
I don't think it is. The moderate owners went out on a limb to get the make whole money increased, only managing to get it increased by convincing the other owners that they could get movement from the PA on other issues and get a deal last week. The PA said thank you for the money, but refused to take the movement on other issues. Bettman has now pulled the offer with the increased make whole money, and I do not think we will be seeing it again.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Sounds like an announcement might be coming....this info from ******* ******** tweet
Do they stream their press conference live?

Old
12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

So it looks allot like we will have our 1/1/13 or so season. We have unofficially some Kings returning to to El Segundo area who were overseas as of today and a few more scheduled for tomorrow too.

Something is definitely up.

Here's to the two sides not blanking this up at the last minute.......

Fingers crossed.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post

It hasn't

Fehr lied

They NHLPA took owners make whole which was conditional on 10 yr CBA (8 yr opt out) and applied it to NHLPA 8 yr (6 yr opt out)

That is one of the reasons NHL was pissed especially when Fehr lied about it in press conference

Old
12-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
So it looks allot like we will have our 1/1/13 or so season. We have unofficially some Kings returning to to El Segundo area who were overseas as of today and a few more scheduled for tomorrow too.

Fingers crossed.
You guys are better than Eklund.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Hopefully they do what Hamrlik suggested and put the last NHL offer to vote by the NHLPA members and see how many of them are really unwilling to accept the 5-year term limit that the NHL is proposing.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:

Fingers crossed.
If its true all the players are returning at once then a deal has already been made.

However, I have several hockey people I am following on Twitter and I have seen nothing as of yet.

Where are you getting your information?

Closed Thread