HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lockout Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
European hockey is on break is it not?

That is why guys are returning I thought

Old
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
We have unofficially some Kings returning to to El Segundo area who were overseas as of today and a few more scheduled for tomorrow too.
What does that mean exactly? They've returned, but it's a secret? They are back, but they aren't really back? I don't get it...

Old
12-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'm headed to El Segundo. DL called and wants to see my wrister. Lockout is ending soon.

Love all you guys. You are all Kings fans but I have zero faith that there will be hockey this season. And quite frankly, you guys shouldn't be posting stuff that gets people's hopes up unless you know for a fact something that nobody else knows. I know we all want hockey and maybe you guys "hear" some things but in reality, if there is a deal that is imminent, we'll know soon enough so I don't think there is any need to post non-sequiturs or make cryptic references because if nothing does happens, which is what I'm guessing is the case, then all you've done is get people's hopes up once again.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'm headed to El Segundo. DL called and wants to see my wrister. Lockout is ending soon.

Love all you guys. You are all Kings fans but I have zero faith that there will be hockey this season. And quite frankly, you guys shouldn't be posting stuff that gets people's hopes up unless you know for a fact something that nobody else knows. I know we all want hockey and maybe you guys "hear" some things but in reality, if there is a deal that is imminent, we'll know soon enough so I don't think there is any need to post non-sequiturs or make cryptic references because if nothing does happens, which is what I'm guessing is the case, then all you've done is get people's hopes up once again.
As far as I know, nothing is happening today, but there is a meeting tomorrow.

And it is my opinion that significant headway will be made during that meeting.

I do believe there will be a season this year. That is my opinion. I don't know about the tweets above, particularly because they were "asterisked" out (what is up with that, anyway?). So as far as I know, its all bull ****. But that isn't the reason I am optimistic a season can be salvaged.

I am optimistic because even after Thursday's meltdown they were apparently in telephone conversations all weekend (a good sign). The fact that they scheduled a meeting just two days later is a great sign.

So we'll see.

12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
As far as I know, nothing is happening today, but there is a meeting tomorrow.

And it is my opinion that significant headway will be made during that meeting.

I do believe there will be a season this year. That is my opinion. I don't know about the tweets above, particularly because they were "asterisked" out (what is up with that, anyway?). So as far as I know, its all bull ****. But that isn't the reason I am optimistic a season can be salvaged.

I am optimistic because even after Thursday's meltdown they were apparently in telephone conversations all weekend (a good sign). The fact that they scheduled a meeting just two days later is a great sign.

So we'll see.
I hope when the owners return to the table with Fehr that the increase in the make whole proposal is withdrawn.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I hope when the owners return to the table with Fehr that the increase in the make whole proposal is withdrawn.
I hope it's done as quickly as possible. It's not a fun game to follow.

It's a game that we can't even watch. We don't get to see all the strategizing and work that goes into a game plan when actual games are played, but we get to see if it gets executed on the ice.

Imagine if all we got during a normal hockey season was the post game press conferences. Instead of "we're giving on everything, they just don't want to make a deal", all we got was "just gotta work hard, go to the net, and good things will happen". Fun for the people directly involved I'm sure, boring to everyone else.

Shoot me now.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
That would mean another lost seasons.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
That would mean another lost seasons.
Maybe, maybe not.

If I am the NHL it only goes back on the table if I get all the points I want on the contracting issues, including the 5 year limit on contracts and a variance on salary from year to year that prevents cap circumvention.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I really don't care how it gets resolved. I don't care if the players have to take a 50% pay cut. I have no sympathy for them and no sympathy for the owners. But the owners don't appear to be looking for any either.

A great sign to me will be ink drying on a deal. Other than that, it is just "hope" and wishful thinking in my opinion.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Whiskeypete

this has gone on for far to long. i love football, but it just isn't enough for me as the primary sport to watch.

my take a few of the latest 'sticking' points are this.

-length of contract: 5 years, do it. neither side should be questioning this as it protects both the team and the player. how many times have we heard players wanting a longer deal? how many times do we hear about players also wanting a shorter deal, because they want to play on a one-year contract to test FA the following year.

to me this is just bs, because all three sides (teams, players, agents) play this out anyway that suits them better. the players wanting up to 7-year contracts is pointless, because they will still play the system regardless of time frame.

-CBA length: owners wanted 10 years and i think the PA countered with 7 or 8 years. personally i am all for a 10 year. hell it prolongs this bs from happening sooner....again.

the players are foolhardy on this one. did they forget that each time after a work stoppage their avg annual income is higher after about two seasons? lock that **** down you morons and take the extra 2-3 years of the owners driving up contracts.

-FA: this should and remain at 27 yo, not the 30 yo like it used to be. the owners say they hate it because of increased salaries. well then they need to control themselves. stop handing out the Parise/Suter type contracts. starting FA at 27 is great for the players (earnings), but also for the league as whole when it creating parity across the league

Old
12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:

I'll take a poke at responding since "you guys" seems like another loosely veiled attempt at poking fun at me. My post isn't cryptic, it is as informative as I want it to be. I don't have the names of the players who are returning and could make it difficult for someone who works with the team if I or anyone else who is privy at times to certain info were to give specific details that only a handful of people may have heard up to this point.

I have a history of being able to post things ahead of the curve and will stand on it but hey, thanks for your interest Buddy. It's always good to hear from mom once in awhile I guess.

I think that there are a few other people who post here like me who just through dumb luck or other circumstances know things ahead of the media and then come and post what they know here and I for one appreciate it when they do. I encourage it as a matter of fact.

If it doesn't work for you specifically then just ignore it would be my suggestion but then I do respect your right to say what you think about it so again, always good to hear from you buddy.

Oh and as for your wrister I think you should do that in private and keep it to yourself regardless of what DL says......

Old
12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I'll take a poke at responding since "you guys" seems like another loosely veiled attempt at poking fun at me.
You are one of myfavorite posters so don't take it personally. And it was a general statement in regards to people posting not directed at you specifically. I just don't feel there is much, if anything, to be optimistic about. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm tired of feeling like the lady who knows her boyfriend would never hit her again.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

For what it's worth, Alexander Burmistrov (who is playing for St. John's in AHL) has came back to Winnipeg last week as well. He is day to day with an upper body injury, but that doesn't seem to be a reason to fly to Winnipeg when his team is in St. John's...and he had some cryptic remarks on some kind of social network site about why he was coming to Winnipeg...I'll try to dig them up...

http://instagram.com/p/S0VXHrueZX/
Quote:
thebarlights
Is the lockout over?
1w
fussnfluff
@alexburmi welcome back
1w
alexburmi
Can't tell )

Old
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not.

If I am the NHL it only goes back on the table if I get all the points I want on the contracting issues, including the 5 year limit on contracts and a variance on salary from year to year that prevents cap circumvention.
This is exactly the kind of "take it or leave it" BS that has us here in the first place.

How anyone can be staunchly in the player's or owner's corner at this point is beyond me. Both sides have royally ****ed up multiple times throughout this process. They're both to blame. As soon as each side stops trying to position themselves on some imaginary moral high ground, the sooner this gets done and we all get to watch hockey.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
You are one of myfavorite posters so don't take it personally. And it was a general statement in regards to people posting not directed at you specifically. I just don't feel there is much, if anything, to be optimistic about. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm tired of feeling like the lady who knows her boyfriend would never hit her again.
I am having a harder time showing my fun/sarcastic joking around side on the boards lately. I was kidding around and hope that I didn't come off as being serious. Just joking around with ya so sorry if it didn't come across that way. I am getting old and forgetful.

Anyways, I have been living in a s phsyco circus of ups and downs over this lock out and for the first time after last weeks meetings I became very pessimistic over the whole thing and was fed up with everything I had heard and everyone I had talked to around the game.

I sent off a few emails and even posted around how I had lost faith and have been shown that I was wrong and I honestly believe that we are just a couple of days away from hearing that the league will resume after the holidays.

I will say this, I was told that there was a deal mostly in place with DD all of the previous summer and let a few people know about only to have it not turn out that way. My source? I don't mind saying was Tim Lieweekly himself for starters. I was at a dinner that he was at and I asked him point blank about it and he said that it was in the bag and that the two sides were only working out wether it would be a 6 or 7 year deal and what the final number would be but that both sides were close.

I told the people I told about it and they ended up feeling bad about it taking so long. During this past summer I skated at night (call it a lucky pick up league) with a bunch of current and past NHLers and staff (along with an agent or two) and they all told me that there would be a lock out but that it would all be settled before the end of the 1st week of January or right around the first of the year.

Here we are and I am optimistic about things but now only after knowing that several Kings staffers where told that they will likely be returning to work very soon and that a few players who have been hanging out in places that I have been traveling to or through are now on their way back to L.A. two of them were at the Toyota Center today or so I am told.

Doesn't mean a deal is certain but these are steps in a direction that make it look like something good is closer to happening.

I remain cautiously optimistic and have an email from a friend who plays for the Wings who is also a neighbor of sorts who has asked if I could look after a few of his animals for him as it looks like he is going to be back at work soon.

Fingers crossed. Of course it could all be for nothing but those are the reasons among a couple of others that have me thinking that we might be close to getting it done for what it is worth.

Last edited by etherialone: 12-11-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
This is exactly the kind of "take it or leave it" BS that has us here in the first place.

How anyone can be staunchly in the player's or owner's corner at this point is beyond me. Both sides have royally ****ed up multiple times throughout this process. They're both to blame. As soon as each side stops trying to position themselves on some imaginary moral high ground, the sooner this gets done and we all get to watch hockey.
i am firmly with you on this Richie. at first i was firmly on the side of the players. i saw this as a complete money grab on the owners behalf after getting what they wanted in the salary cap. over time they proceeded to **** the bed with that and over time wanted to take back money they agreed to in contracts.

couple this with what has become an obvious situation. the league has over expanded to the point it now has to cover and float teams to make them financially viable. Bettman will never admit to this, since it was largely his doing while commish. the owners are equally to blame as they opened up the league to new cities/owners for a fee. i can see their point here and it's no different than any other business venture. you sink or swim, you operate in the black or shutter your business. hell im off on a tangent here....

as of now i am like most, frustrated at both sides for not having this wrapped up and playing since at least Thanksgiving. this is reminding me to much of our trouble with politics in Washington DC, neither side is willing to really sit and compromise. both side needs to be seen as the clear victor. just like the situation in DC, the people dont care about that - they just want compromise and a solution. the faster a deal gets done under compromise the faster things get back to a working situation, where work is underway and actual money is being made for both sides.

personally i think the cities need to start leaning on the league. the amount of lost revenue to the city/county/states is mind numbing. the amount of lost revenue to small businesses surrounding the arenas is troubling. the amount of lost wages to the employees is a travesty. when the day comes they start playing the players should all give up a check or two and split it up to help these people. like they will miss that money. they've been going this long without it.

finally this is where the tarnished image of the game is what really bothers me. people well beyond the players are being affected by a bunch of millionaires fighting with billionaires. what most people make in a year, some of these guys earn in one night.

the NHL has earned an ugly perception by non-traditional hockey fans as nothing more than a bunch of greedy athletes and owners that participate in a goonish game with fighting. to these people its nothing more than the WWF on ice. just as the league was gaining and starting to eclipse the NBA with fans, they lockout and **** the bed.

to the educated fan and those that have grown up with the game we know this to be all stereotypical bs, but we get to hear this uneducated crap from the guy on the barstool next to us.

if there is one bright spot its the fact that the NHLN has been broadcasting Jr games and the regional sports networks seem to be covering more college games. to date ive watched at least 10 Jr and 10 college games this season. its great to see the 'kids' play. its also great for me to go to the rink and coach my kids, they are there to have fun, learn and play hockey....nothing else. the NHL and the PA needs to bring it back to this level

Old
12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
I am having a harder time showing my fun/sarcastic joking around side on the boards lately. I was kidding around and hope that I didn't come off as being serious. Just joking around with ya so sorry if it didn't come across that way. I am getting old and forgetful.

Anyways, I have been living in a s phsyco circus of ups and downs over this lock out and for the first time after last weeks meetings I became very pessimistic over the whole thing and was fed up with everything I had heard and everyone I had talked to around the game.

I sent off a few emails and even posted around how I had lost faith and have been shown that I was wrong and I honestly believe that we are just a couple of days away from hearing that the league will resume after the holidays.

I will say this, I was told that there was a deal mostly in place with DD all of last summer and let a few people know about only to have it not turn out that way. My source? I don't mind saying was Tim Lieweekly himself for starters. I was at a dinner that he was at and I asked him point blank about it and he said that it was in the bag and that the two sides were only working out wether it would be a 6 or 7 year deal and what the final number would be but that both sides were close.

I told the people I told about it and they ended up feeling bad about it taking so long. During this past summer I skated at night (call it a lucky pick up league) with a bunch of current and past NHLers and staff (along with an agent or two) and they all told me that there would be a lock out but that it would all be settled before the end of the 1st week of January or right around the first of the year.

Here we are and I am optimistic about things but now only after knowing that several Kings staffers where told that they will be returning to work very soon and that a few players who have been hanging out in places that I have been traveling to or through are now on their way back to L.A. two of them were at the Toyota Center today or so I am told.

Doesn't mean a deal is certain but these are steps in a direction that make it look like something good is closer to happening.

I remain cautiously optimistic and have an email from a friend who plays for the Wings who is also a neighbor of sorts who has asked if I could look after a few of his animals for him as it looks like he is going to be back at work soon.

Fingers crossed. Of course it could all be for nothing but those are the reasons among a couple of others that have me thinking that we might be close to getting it done for what it is worth.

good stuff TG, you always have the goods. well beyond what the rest of monkeys have

Old
12-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Well from what I was hearing, my cousin works with TNSE, they were expecting a late November end to the lockout, for a early December start to the schedule. So idk I still believe we will have a season in some form.

Also, neighbor of sorts from Newfoundland playing for the Wings...who might that be .

Old
12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Well from what I was hearing, my cousin works with TNSE, they were expecting a late November end to the lockout, for a early December start to the schedule. So idk I still believe we will have a season in some form.

Also, neighbor of sorts from Newfoundland playing for the Wings...who might that be .
It is pretty murky where I spend allot of my time.....

There are actually couple of Wings who live part time around me and several players past and present out in sticks around me too.

Its funny, all I had heard was 1/1 but you aren't the only one who has said December and I believe that it would serve everyone the best if it got together asap so that the schedule could start asap.

I guess we will see hopefully exactly when/where if this whole thing shakes out. Fingers crossed big time.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
It is pretty murky where I spend allot of my time.....

There are actually couple of Wings who live part time around me and several players past and present out in sticks around me too.

Its funny, all I had heard was 1/1 but you aren't the only one who has said December and I believe that it would serve everyone the best if it got together asap so that the schedule could start asap.

I guess we will see hopefully exactly when/where if this whole thing shakes out. Fingers crossed big time.
I've noticed that...you seem to have posted things about you being everywhere from LA to NFLD...I think I want your job

Let's hope we get going soon...I wanna watch that banner raising!!!

Old
12-11-2012, 08:48 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I've noticed that...you seem to have posted things about you being everywhere from LA to NFLD...I think I want your job

Let's hope we get going soon...I wanna watch that banner raising!!!
It won't be real for me until we hang it. I honestly talked to my doctor about my heart/blood pressure regarding excitement and watching the banner hang and he told me that he has heard of people actually having heart attacks at hockey/footbal etc games due to the excitement and that I should be careful.

I have a good heart and remain as fit as possible but watching us raise that banner will be one seriously emotional moment for me and I know it will be for the rest of us King fans too. Better keep 911 on speed dial and some paddles at the ready!

Fingers crossed this all goes right.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Tadite

May the great gods of hockey end the lockout!!! All I want for Xmas is hockey!!!!

Old
12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I think we still have 7-10 days of BS before this gets settled. Both sides are going to try and squeeze more out of the other side.

NHL will probably make their offer worse tomorrow to try and scare the NHLPA. The NHLPA will bluster to the press that the evil NHL is just taking too much from them.

Expect a deal to be agreed to after Christmas. Camps open after New Years day and hockey starts mid-January. 48 game schedule.

Last edited by Sydor25: 12-11-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
bobafettish*

**** shortened seasons......

Old
12-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

If/when the lockout ends, do you guys promise to add "LOCKOUT IS OVER" (or something of that nature) in the thread title? This thread is where I get my daily updates on the lockout.

Closed Thread