HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I would be in favor of shorter seasons.
Looks like you are getting your wish this year.

Maybe.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Not just younger...I have totally lost my interest in baseball due to its boring nature and I have no idea who is juicing anymore.

Baseball lost its credibility with me long ago.
Same with me as well. I used to watch every Dodgers game like a true fiend, but now my summer nights are spent catching up on old TV.

Another interesting note touched on earlier was the matter of relocation. The reason more NBA franchises relocate is because the commissioner actively encourages it and believes that the more cities that get to see pro basketball, the better. There is also enough demand in the locales relocated to support relocated teams for a while. It also helps the NBA in that once a Seattle for example loses their team, you can be sure they won't do the same when they get it back, thus creating a stable market. On the other hand, Bettman is fervently against relocation these days and attempts to block it regardless of the cost to the league. Also consider that the NHL's main ground for revenue/relocation to expand revenue is in a country where publicly funded arenas are pretty rare. The NBA's main ground is where anyone with a political connection can get an arena built for them. NHL can't replicate that either. They just have to do their own thing.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:44 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Not just younger...I have totally lost my interest in baseball due to its boring nature and I have no idea who is juicing anymore.

Baseball lost its credibility with me long ago.
I'm a numbers guy. I love baseball for all the stats. I'm a huge minor league and young prospect guy. They keep me coming back.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:39 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

The awkward moment when people think Henrik Sedin Is better than Kopitar. Just go watch Kopitars first goal undressing pronger that in itself is enough proof

Old
12-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
The awkward moment when people think Henrik Sedin Is better than Kopitar. Just go watch Kopitars first goal undressing pronger that in itself is enough proof
Or the awkward moment when you've realized you must have posted this in the wrong thread?

Old
12-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
The NBA last year had 5 billion dollars in league revenue, an all time high. I am not going to argue about whether in "society" the NBA was more popular in the 1980's.. That is much more abstract, although I may agree that was the case. I am talking dollars and cents, and even adjusting for inflation, the NBA has never made more money. I also think it would be very difficult to argue that the NBA, generally, is in a worse place than the NHL, as the NHL has now threatened to cancel two entire seasons due to franchises who are supposedly in dire financial conditions.

ALSO, the franchises that have moved in the NBA did so because, in part, because they were unable to secure new home Arena contracts with their respective cities. I am talking about Seattle, and potentially Sacramento, as both of those cities had/have die hard fan bases. New Orleans and Vancouver may have been a different story. Anyways, my point is the NBA is in a relatively sound financial place, and if we want to believe what Gary Bettman and collective ownership keep relaying to us there are a bunch of NHL franchises that are not.. Supposedly.
Now I see what you are saying. Totally agree that money wise, the NBA has it figured out.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Or the awkward moment when you've realized you must have posted this in the wrong thread?
Well this is a lockout thread.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Check out this disgusting shootout move by Colton Yellow Horn..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Once the lockout is over I guarantee we will see something similar tried..

Old
12-23-2012, 07:28 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Check out this disgusting shootout move by Colton Yellow Horn..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Once the lockout is over I guarantee we will see something similar tried..
dont think that would work in the nhl, but yellow horn is one bad ass name.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:52 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
Why wouldn't it? There have been plenty of spin-o-rama moves on shootouts and have worked as well. I miss seeing Yellow Horn in Allen. Led the Ams in points last year.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Is Colton Yellow Horn part Native American/Canadian?

And since when did minor league teams start putting ads on the jerseys?

Old
12-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
If its a fluid movement like that was, it would be allowed

Since the Kings won the cup, I would love to see a 48 game season. It would be hilarious since it would be such a variance fest and we could easily end up with playoff matchups like Florida vs Toronto, Edmonton vs Columbus and teams like Vancouver missing them altogether

Old
12-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Still no idea how the NBA sustains itself in many of it's markets with the way star players and NBA championships always end up in the larger markets. What do you get out of being a Bucks or Cavs fan.

Baseball is always criticized, but MLB has much better parity than the NBA and it's not even close.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Still no idea how the NBA sustains itself in many of it's markets with the way star players and NBA championships always end up in the larger markets. What do you get out of being a Bucks or Cavs fan.
Revenue sharing

Quote:
Baseball is always criticized, but MLB has much better parity than the NBA and it's not even close.
Revenue sharing

Old
12-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
If its a fluid movement like that was, it would be allowed

Since the Kings won the cup, I would love to see a 48 game season. It would be hilarious since it would be such a variance fest and we could easily end up with playoff matchups like Florida vs Toronto, Edmonton vs Columbus and teams like Vancouver missing them altogether
I don't think so.

Every game would mean so much, I think psychologically some teams take nights off over an 82 game season. I don't think we would see that over 48 as much. I think the cream would still rise to the top.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:51 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

The NBA is a joke!

It's not even a system problem. It's a culture problem! Players and fans have no interest in playing for or rooting for small markets teams. Sure teams like OKC will have a nice run but guys like Westbrook will go to the big city as soon as they get a chance.

The NHL actually out draws the NBA in attendance. A lot NBA arena look like Phoniex, saw a Bucks game the other day they had all the fans sitting in the lower bowl on the tv side. The whole upper bowl was empty!

In fact the Bucks top player said he considers this season an audition for other teams.

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 12-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 06:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

If Fehr somehow manages to screw up the NHL the way he did MLB or if the NHL ends up like the NBA, I won't be watching.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If Fehr somehow manages to screw up the NHL the way he did MLB or if the NHL ends up like the NBA, I won't be watching.
I think he's already accomplished that, as nobody is watching and a majority of the US media hardly gives a crap about the league (not that they cared before but they care even less with this lockout).

Old
12-24-2012, 07:38 PM
bobafettish*

happy holidays everyone. oh and **** the nhl and its players.

Old
12-25-2012, 06:15 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Bring back the WHA!

Bring back the WHL!

Bring back the IHL!

Old
12-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Dawdler
Pearson for Calder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Bring back the WHA!

Bring back the WHL!

Bring back the IHL!

Old
12-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
happy holidays everyone. oh and **** the nhl and its players.
Hey be nice.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:51 PM
johnjm22

All I want for Christmas is the NHL back.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:15 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Hey be nice.

Spezza is a scary looking dude

Old
12-26-2012, 08:13 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
The NBA is a joke!

It's not even a system problem. It's a culture problem! Players and fans have no interest in playing for or rooting for small markets teams. Sure teams like OKC will have a nice run but guys like Westbrook will go to the big city as soon as they get a chance.

The NHL actually out draws the NBA in attendance. A lot NBA arena look like Phoniex, saw a Bucks game the other day they had all the fans sitting in the lower bowl on the tv side. The whole upper bowl was empty!

In fact the Bucks top player said he considers this season an audition for other teams.
This^ A couple friends and I go to T-Wolves games a couple times a year for the past few solely because it's like $16 dollars and we know we'll get free food, free drinks, our seats moved down closer to the court since the arena is so empty, or a combo of all of these things.

If the NBA is making $5 billion a year and it's record revenue it isn't due to fan support of the smaller market teams or attendance numbers. Then the amount of money they are missing out on by not supplying fans with a competitive league where every team has a chance to win is insane.

Closed Thread