HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 11:43 PM
  #926
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful but I am more optimistic tonight (this am?) then I have been for a bit. I believe a big hurdle has been cleared or is in the final process of being cleared and that we will see our 1/11 season (or camp) happen. I know, I know but I still believe now a little more so than before. Of course the press will report more doom and gloom the instant that I post this but that doesn't phase me at all.

etherialone is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
  #927
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
... with the nhl being a very distant 4th in revenue among the big 4.
thats why i said i wished the nhl was more popular in the post he was responding to.


Last edited by Chazz Reinhold: 01-05-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: qdp
bobafettish* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:31 AM
  #928
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,952
vCash: 500
We've been lenient enough with people flaming other people's opinions in this thread, but consider this your only warning before we start handing out infractions: stop.

Chazz Reinhold is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:39 AM
  #929
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I like this one allot.

TGfireandice 9:09pm via TweetDeck

Mediation had positive impact in that they'll continue tomorrow. We'll see if it leads to face-to-face negotiations or more separated talks

etherialone is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 01:58 AM
  #930
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Owners are the ones that set the market value...

You are assuming incorrectly that the purpose of owning a hockey team is to make money. It is incredibly fun to own a hockey team. Look at the other major hockey league. How many KHL owners are making money? I am confident they are all losing a ton of money on their teams and charge fans next to nothing to go watch the games. They are willing to lose money to own those teams because it is really really fun to own a sports team.

Im always surprised when people want to look at this like its an actual business with the sole pirpose of making money.

Players make the money they do because the owners are more then willing to pay them. If they werent willing to pay them that then they wouldnt. Simple as that.
You are assuming incorrectly that the owners don't feel it is necessary to make money when operating their hockey team. I have spoken with Tim Leiweke on more than one occasion and AEG wants the Kings to turn a profit.

Jim Fox, Bob Miller, etc. will tell you the same thing. The owners know that franchise values are not going to rise forever.

Doesn't the fact that the owners are willing to cancel an entire season and then lock the players out yet again tell you that they are serious about reducing their labor costs and turning a profit? It's really that simple. Sorry, but you are wrong.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:02 AM
  #931
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
We've been lenient enough with people flaming other people's opinions in this thread, but consider this your only warning before we start handing out infractions: stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful but I am more optimistic tonight (this am?) then I have been for a bit. I believe a big hurdle has been cleared or is in the final process of being cleared and that we will see our 1/11 season (or camp) happen. I know, I know but I still believe now a little more so than before. Of course the press will report more doom and gloom the instant that I post this but that doesn't phase me at all.



KingLB is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 03:34 AM
  #932
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post


Mmm.....ok?


I like this, Eklund is Eklund and this is what he said tonight. It is at least interesting.

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Just got a call from a player overseas who has been very pessimistic, but now feels a season is definite based on progress today. Upbeat

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/287469959989301250

etherialone is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 11:33 AM
  #933
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You are assuming incorrectly that the owners don't feel it is necessary to make money when operating their hockey team. I have spoken with Tim Leiweke on more than one occasion and AEG wants the Kings to turn a profit.

Jim Fox, Bob Miller, etc. will tell you the same thing. The owners know that franchise values are not going to rise forever.

Doesn't the fact that the owners are willing to cancel an entire season and then lock the players out yet again tell you that they are serious about reducing their labor costs and turning a profit? It's really that simple. Sorry, but you are wrong.
Im wrong? The owners signed a ton of last second big money long term contracts right before they locked the players out.... so when exactly did they realize that their labor costs were too high? Lol. The day after the cba expired?

The reason the owners are locking the players out is pretty obvious... because they are already Nhl owners! They dont have anything to lose by it. They negotiate a better deal for themselves and do it with virtually no risk of losing their players or their club. If there were other hockey leagues that legimateley competed with the NHL this would never happen.

Look at euro soccer. There are a bunch of leagues in a small area they all compete with each other and i think the player make over 70% of the revenue.

Rusty Batch is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 11:41 AM
  #934
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Im wrong? The owners signed a ton of last second big money long term contracts right before they locked the players out.... so when exactly did they realize that their labor costs were too high? Lol. The day after the cba expired?

The reason the owners are locking the players out is pretty obvious... because they are already Nhl owners! They dont have anything to lose by it. They negotiate a better deal for themselves and do it with virtually no risk of losing their players or their club. If there were other hockey leagues that legimateley competed with the NHL this would never happen.

Look at euro soccer. There are a bunch of leagues in a small area they all compete with each other and i think the player make over 70% of the revenue.
You point out the exceptions and not the rule, which is exactly why the owners are insisting on a CBA that does away with these type of contracts.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
  #935
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You point out the exceptions and not the rule, which is exactly why the owners are insisting on a CBA that does away with these type of contracts.
The exceptions? There are almost no available legitamate free agents. And only a handful of rfas... basically everyone of value who could be resigned was.

Rusty Batch is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 01:31 PM
  #936
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,946
vCash: 500
From TSN as of 1:25 pm EST

Quote:
14 minutes ago
@TSNRyanRishaug: When in mediation, mediator makes the call on when to meet face to face if sides are close in his mind. If that's case could be good sign

12 minutes ago
@saraorlesky: The NHL is at the PA's hotel for what is to be a small group meeting between the two sides and mediator
If the mediator (who put in a 12 hour day yesterday with both sides) worked out some snag and bumps yesterday, and he's confident enough to bring them face to face, that's a great sign.

And as much as I dislike Fehr and Bettman, and their egos, I don't think either is shortsighted enough to throw the season away when they are so close.

OT- Congrats to TEam USA on Gold at WJC. Best image was when the flag when up and those kids with the gold around their neck sang th National Anthem at the top of their lungs, somewhat offkey LOL with their arms draped around each other -
absolutely pricess. (Also, was a great game , both teams played well) NHL Network is showing every USA game tomorrow straight thru

deeshamrock is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 01:37 PM
  #937
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
So its optimism time? I'd say so.

WJC's great again.

etherialone is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  #938
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,154
vCash: 500
FYI, Kopitar got hurt in tonight's game.

Vikke is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
  #939
Mike Ross
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
FYI, Kopitar got hurt in tonight's game.
Came here to post this..

Kopitar out for 2-3 weeks atleast, possibly a knee injury.

Mike Ross is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
  #940
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatin View Post
Came here to post this..

Kopitar out for 2-3 weeks atleast, possibly a knee injury.
Well that's just wonderful.

Chazz Reinhold is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
  #941
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
At least the season won't start for 2 weeks (from today), if an agreement is reached.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
  #942
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,474
vCash: 50
Thought I saw it was an ankle.


This is still not good.

GKJ is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
  #943
Mike Ross
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Thought I saw it was an ankle.



This is still not good.
I'm hearing both..

Let's just call it lower-body.

Mike Ross is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:43 PM
  #944
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 9,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatin View Post
I'm hearing both..

Let's just call it lower-body.
pinky toe slash

Butch 19 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
  #945
nki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Ankle could be bad news if it's the same one he injured before.

nki is online now  
Old
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
  #946
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
well that is just delightful

Muzzinga is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 03:03 PM
  #947
ShattStar03
Registered User
 
ShattStar03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Claremont, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
If the season were to start, I'd think the Kings would be fine without him until playoffs or a little before it.

ShattStar03 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  #948
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
If the season were to start, I'd think the Kings would be fine without him until playoffs or a little before it.
Seems (from various tweets, reports) to be the right knee and general consenus is 2-3 weeks, 1 month perhaps.

Having 2 top centers on your second line comes in handy. Richards and Carter are more than capable of handling things until Kopi is 100%. I woulcd hope that since Richards and Gagne have history and several years worth of good chemistry, you keep them together, maybe with Brown on the 1st line.
They have enough talent , including the D corps, and with Sutter's system in place finally, to establish and maintain a solid lead.

If the season does start on the 18th, it means Kopi would miss about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.
Hurts like hell to lose someone of his stature, but thankfully it's now and not April when he gets hurt.

deeshamrock is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 03:58 PM
  #949
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,485
vCash: 500

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHL player (not in bargaining room) says he believes "talks are going well." ...

Quote:
RonM11 @RonM11
@Real_ESPNLeBrun
I am also not in the bargaining room. Neither is my dog. But my dog barked to me she thought talks were going well also.

This is getting quite comical. And I am exhausted. So exhausted I don't even care anymore.



__________________
Ron is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 04:23 PM
  #950
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Mmm.....ok?


I like this, Eklund is Eklund and this is what he said tonight. It is at least interesting.

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Just got a call from a player overseas who has been very pessimistic, but now feels a season is definite based on progress today. Upbeat

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/287469959989301250
I like ya TG, its just lately so much updates and "feelings" from you that are basically hard to prove/disprove gave me a very Eklund feel.

KingLB is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.