HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 12:29 PM
doorman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Backstrom
- I think Backstrom has declined since '09, but overall he's worse statistically
- best seasons were played behind an ultra defensive system, as opposed to Luongo being a Vezina nominee in a offense first system and a trap sytem
- older, more expensive (I doubt the top UFA goalie takes a discount for a lottery team)
- has been playing around ~50 games for the past few seasons

Ward
- I pointed out how Wards strengths (age, contract length, Cup) were Luongo's weaknesses
- If Luongo costs a lot (from rumoured Gillis demands) Ward would then cost much more right?
- Canucks have depth at G allowing Luongo to be expendable, Canes do not
Backstrom may cost more in salary but i was looking more in terms of until there is a season, overpaying keeps assets, which is never bad. He is only one year older and his .918 career save pertcentage is not sieve like, Lou's is only .919. so while they have played on different style teams, they aren't uncomparable.

Ward just seems to have that mojo about him. Carolina had no business winning the cup that year it was all him. And at his age I might just sell the farm for him. plus if, you have a younger goalie emerge you have a very tradable asset going forward. now I doubt he gets traded, which is why i said I would get jumped on for saying it. but stranger things have happened.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Kipper - based on the Flames off-season acquisitions they are pushing for a playoff spot. Kipper is their MVP. *IF* he is traded I expect it at the deadline for a very high price. Top prospect + 1st

Backstrom - Inferior to Luongo is almost all respects. I doubt the Wild trade their #1 after signing 2 of the biggest free agents. If Harding does play well I expect a 1A/1B situation until the trade deadline.

Thomas - I thought he was taking the year off? He's still a much better backup than Khudobin and in a shortened season he's worth more as insurance than a late pick to a contender like Boston.

Ward - I don't see him being moved, if Carolina wanted to shed salary dealing Semin at the deadline would make so much more sense. If for whatever reason Peters became the #1 () Ward would fetch a lot.

For every complaint against Luongo (age, contract, playoff record) Ward is the opposite. Rielly or Gardiner as the base of a package and keep adding IMO.
This is hilarious.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
colchar

Quote:
Rielly or Gardiner as the base of a package and keep adding IMO.

This is hilarious. Why do Vancouver fans, who have basically run Luongo out of town, think he is worth so damned much in a trade? Of course Toronto, or any other team, isn't going to get him for a bag of pucks but the prices being thrown around by Vancouver fans are ridiculous. By the same token, some proposals from Toronto fans are just plain silly. But Vancouver fans seem to be the worst of the two groups.

I want him in Toronto solely to settle this argument because, even if he goes to another team for two 2nds and a 3rd (or whatever), Vancouver fans on here will still be claiming that that wouldn't be the price Toronto would have had to pay - they would have had to give up Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and 15 1st rounders.

Fans on both sides of this debate need to grab some perspective.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
This is hilarious. Why do Vancouver fans, who have basically run Luongo out of town, think he is worth so damned much in a trade? Of course Toronto, or any other team, isn't going to get him for a bag of pucks but the prices being thrown around by Vancouver fans are ridiculous. By the same token, some proposals from Toronto fans are just plain silly. But Vancouver fans seem to be the worst of the two groups.

I want him in Toronto solely to settle this argument because, even if he goes to another team for two 2nds and a 3rd (or whatever), Vancouver fans on here will still be claiming that that wouldn't be the price Toronto would have had to pay - they would have had to give up Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and 15 1st rounders.

I think he was talking about what it would cost to aquire Ward.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:39 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:

and arrrrround we go!!

Old
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Backstrom may cost more in salary but i was looking more in terms of until there is a season, overpaying keeps assets, which is never bad. He is only one year older and his .918 career save pertcentage is not sieve like, Lou's is only .919. so while they have played on different style teams, they aren't uncomparable.

Ward just seems to have that mojo about him. Carolina had no business winning the cup that year it was all him. And at his age I might just sell the farm for him. plus if, you have a younger goalie emerge you have a very tradable asset going forward. now I doubt he gets traded, which is why i said I would get jumped on for saying it. but stranger things have happened.
Carolina was the #1 seed in the eastern conference that year....Eric Staal was a 100 point player and they had center depth of Brind'a'mour and Doug Weight behind him, with scoring veterans: Ray Whitney, Mark Recchi, Justin Williams.

That was a good team - average defense, but a very good team.

PS. that cup win was a long time ago

Old
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

it seems like these past 5 months have been a waste , do people not read posts made by Canuck fans?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Carolina was the #1 seed in the eastern conference that year....Eric Staal was a 100 point player and they had center depth of Brind'a'mour and Doug Weight behind him, with scoring veterans: Ray Whitney, Mark Recchi, Justin Williams.

That was a good team - average defense, but a very good team.

PS. that cup win was a long time ago
That cup win was a long time ago, however, he has more cups then Lou and a lot of other quality starters. Point being he has proven he can do the job and get the end result.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
That cup win was a long time ago, however, he has more cups then Lou and a lot of other quality starters. Point being he has proven he can do the job and get the end result.
Winning a Stanley cup does not mean you are a great goaltender. Look at San Jose and Niemi. They were swept by St. Louis in the first round last year. Niemi won a cup with Chicago.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Winning a Stanley cup does not mean you are a great goaltender. Look at San Jose and Niemi. They were swept by St. Louis in the first round last year. Niemi won a cup with Chicago.
While a cup may not mean a lot it sure as hell is not a negative feature.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
it seems like these past 5 months have been a waste , do people not read posts made by Canuck fans?
You think?

The discussion must be amusing to outsiders for sure.

Net Net....Toronto does not exactly have what the Canucks need to get in a trade for Luongo. If the team cannot be improved in the short or long run, they won't trade him.

Florida is a better fit as they at least have an asset in Petrovic which fits the Canucks needs and the ability to trade a first rounder with the significant pices already in place to build their team now and for the future: Gudbranson, Kulikov, Markstrom, Huberdeau, and Bjugstad. Howden, Shore and Robak are good depth players. They need to start drafting skilled wingers and depth D but have more than enough to compete if they improve their goaltending and if Huberdeau can make an impact.

Florida is a better fit for the Canucks in terms of tradeable assets. Gillis just needs to give up on Bjugstad.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Yes your are correct. Thank you for the brilliant advice.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
It's depressing for me to say this, but I think I've read through endless trade proposals made by Van fans.

I think I've heard it all:
- Luongo's still one of the top goalies in the game...we will not trade him unless it's something substantial.
- Actually, we don't have to trade him...we are willing to play with two number 1 goalies. It's really not a distraction.
-No, his contract is really not that big of an issue. We all know that he's not going to fulfill his 10 year contract.
- He doesn't have a problem sharing the spotlight with Schneider...they're very supportive of one another, and are best friends.

Yes...I've heard it all.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I think he was talking about what it would cost to aquire Ward.
I was wondering if a leafs fan would get it! Reading comprehension FTW!

Old
11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
hey dude, long time no talk, lol, been meaning to twitter you.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
colchar

Quote:
I try my best to ignore Canucks fans. And Habs fans. And Sens fans. All other fans are fine though.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
I was wondering if a leafs fan would get it! Reading comprehension FTW!
I was working until almost 6am this morning (and didn't sleep during the day yesterday) and hadn't finished my first cup of coffee of the day when I posted that. Surely the late night and it being early in my day earns me a mulligan.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
I try my best to ignore Canucks fans. And Habs fans. And Sens fans. All other fans are fine though.
Not to belittle you invaluable contribution, but you might want to stay out of Luongo threads if you're trying to ignore Canucks fans. Also, judging from your previous post in this thread, you might want to work on your reading comprehension. Reilly/Gardiner was the quoted price for Ward, not Lu. We're just demanding Lupul, JVR, multiple 1sts and all your best prospects

Quote:
I was working until almost 6am this morning (and didn't sleep during the day yesterday) and hadn't finished my first cup of coffee of the day when I posted that. Surely the late night and it being early in my day earns me a mulligan.
Well in that case please feel free to ignore the above

Old
11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Not to belittle you invaluable contribution, but you might want to stay out of Luongo threads if you're trying to ignore Canucks fans. Also, judging from your previous post in this thread, you might want to work on your reading comprehension. Reilly/Gardiner was the quoted price for Ward, not Lu. We're just demanding Lupul, JVR, multiple 1sts and all your best prospects

Well in that case please feel free to ignore the above
Well...that seems fair!!

Old
11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Well...that seems fair!!
And no way in hell are we taking back Connolly, Lombardi or Komi

Old
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Hell...with everybody else you are taking...we couldn't think of sending them...we'd need them just to fill our roster!!!

Old
11-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
No, no. The Jays hijacking the Marlins entire team must be balanced out by the Leafs having to give up their entire team.

Karma, don't fail us now.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No, no. The Jays hijacking the Marlins entire team must be balanced out by the Leafs having to give up their entire team.

Karma, don't fail us now.
actually, i see it the other way....Florida just gifted a bunch of Florida guys to TO....Van must follow suit...wait, where does Luongo call home?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Hell...with everybody else you are taking...we couldn't think of sending them...we'd need them just to fill our roster!!!
I thought it was implied we would be sending Raymond and Ballard back too. You know, to add significant value from our side.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
I thought it was implied we would be sending Raymond and Ballard back too. You know, to add significant value from our side.
And people say Van fans are unreasonable...you sir are to kind.

Closed Thread