HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 12:29 PM
  #451
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Backstrom
- I think Backstrom has declined since '09, but overall he's worse statistically
- best seasons were played behind an ultra defensive system, as opposed to Luongo being a Vezina nominee in a offense first system and a trap sytem
- older, more expensive (I doubt the top UFA goalie takes a discount for a lottery team)
- has been playing around ~50 games for the past few seasons

Ward
- I pointed out how Wards strengths (age, contract length, Cup) were Luongo's weaknesses
- If Luongo costs a lot (from rumoured Gillis demands) Ward would then cost much more right?
- Canucks have depth at G allowing Luongo to be expendable, Canes do not
Backstrom may cost more in salary but i was looking more in terms of until there is a season, overpaying keeps assets, which is never bad. He is only one year older and his .918 career save pertcentage is not sieve like, Lou's is only .919. so while they have played on different style teams, they aren't uncomparable.

Ward just seems to have that mojo about him. Carolina had no business winning the cup that year it was all him. And at his age I might just sell the farm for him. plus if, you have a younger goalie emerge you have a very tradable asset going forward. now I doubt he gets traded, which is why i said I would get jumped on for saying it. but stranger things have happened.

doorman is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
  #452
Oilin Toronto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Kipper - based on the Flames off-season acquisitions they are pushing for a playoff spot. Kipper is their MVP. *IF* he is traded I expect it at the deadline for a very high price. Top prospect + 1st

Backstrom - Inferior to Luongo is almost all respects. I doubt the Wild trade their #1 after signing 2 of the biggest free agents. If Harding does play well I expect a 1A/1B situation until the trade deadline.

Thomas - I thought he was taking the year off? He's still a much better backup than Khudobin and in a shortened season he's worth more as insurance than a late pick to a contender like Boston.

Ward - I don't see him being moved, if Carolina wanted to shed salary dealing Semin at the deadline would make so much more sense. If for whatever reason Peters became the #1 () Ward would fetch a lot.

For every complaint against Luongo (age, contract, playoff record) Ward is the opposite. Rielly or Gardiner as the base of a package and keep adding IMO.
This is hilarious.

Oilin Toronto is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
  #453
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Rielly or Gardiner as the base of a package and keep adding IMO.


This is hilarious. Why do Vancouver fans, who have basically run Luongo out of town, think he is worth so damned much in a trade? Of course Toronto, or any other team, isn't going to get him for a bag of pucks but the prices being thrown around by Vancouver fans are ridiculous. By the same token, some proposals from Toronto fans are just plain silly. But Vancouver fans seem to be the worst of the two groups.

I want him in Toronto solely to settle this argument because, even if he goes to another team for two 2nds and a 3rd (or whatever), Vancouver fans on here will still be claiming that that wouldn't be the price Toronto would have had to pay - they would have had to give up Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and 15 1st rounders.

Fans on both sides of this debate need to grab some perspective.

colchar is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
  #454
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
This is hilarious. Why do Vancouver fans, who have basically run Luongo out of town, think he is worth so damned much in a trade? Of course Toronto, or any other team, isn't going to get him for a bag of pucks but the prices being thrown around by Vancouver fans are ridiculous. By the same token, some proposals from Toronto fans are just plain silly. But Vancouver fans seem to be the worst of the two groups.

I want him in Toronto solely to settle this argument because, even if he goes to another team for two 2nds and a 3rd (or whatever), Vancouver fans on here will still be claiming that that wouldn't be the price Toronto would have had to pay - they would have had to give up Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and 15 1st rounders.

Fans on both sides of this debate need to grab some perspective.
I think he was talking about what it would cost to aquire Ward.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:39 PM
  #455
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
This is hilarious. Why do Vancouver fans, who have basically run Luongo out of town, think he is worth so damned much in a trade? Of course Toronto, or any other team, isn't going to get him for a bag of pucks but the prices being thrown around by Vancouver fans are ridiculous. By the same token, some proposals from Toronto fans are just plain silly. But Vancouver fans seem to be the worst of the two groups.

I want him in Toronto solely to settle this argument because, even if he goes to another team for two 2nds and a 3rd (or whatever), Vancouver fans on here will still be claiming that that wouldn't be the price Toronto would have had to pay - they would have had to give up Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and 15 1st rounders.

Fans on both sides of this debate need to grab some perspective.
and arrrrround we go!!

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
  #456
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Backstrom may cost more in salary but i was looking more in terms of until there is a season, overpaying keeps assets, which is never bad. He is only one year older and his .918 career save pertcentage is not sieve like, Lou's is only .919. so while they have played on different style teams, they aren't uncomparable.

Ward just seems to have that mojo about him. Carolina had no business winning the cup that year it was all him. And at his age I might just sell the farm for him. plus if, you have a younger goalie emerge you have a very tradable asset going forward. now I doubt he gets traded, which is why i said I would get jumped on for saying it. but stranger things have happened.
Carolina was the #1 seed in the eastern conference that year....Eric Staal was a 100 point player and they had center depth of Brind'a'mour and Doug Weight behind him, with scoring veterans: Ray Whitney, Mark Recchi, Justin Williams.

That was a good team - average defense, but a very good team.

PS. that cup win was a long time ago

arsmaster is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
  #457
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
This is hilarious. Why do Vancouver fans, who have basically run Luongo out of town, think he is worth so damned much in a trade? Of course Toronto, or any other team, isn't going to get him for a bag of pucks but the prices being thrown around by Vancouver fans are ridiculous. By the same token, some proposals from Toronto fans are just plain silly. But Vancouver fans seem to be the worst of the two groups.

I want him in Toronto solely to settle this argument because, even if he goes to another team for two 2nds and a 3rd (or whatever), Vancouver fans on here will still be claiming that that wouldn't be the price Toronto would have had to pay - they would have had to give up Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and 15 1st rounders.

Fans on both sides of this debate need to grab some perspective.
it seems like these past 5 months have been a waste , do people not read posts made by Canuck fans?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
  #458
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Carolina was the #1 seed in the eastern conference that year....Eric Staal was a 100 point player and they had center depth of Brind'a'mour and Doug Weight behind him, with scoring veterans: Ray Whitney, Mark Recchi, Justin Williams.

That was a good team - average defense, but a very good team.

PS. that cup win was a long time ago
That cup win was a long time ago, however, he has more cups then Lou and a lot of other quality starters. Point being he has proven he can do the job and get the end result.

doorman is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:52 PM
  #459
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
That cup win was a long time ago, however, he has more cups then Lou and a lot of other quality starters. Point being he has proven he can do the job and get the end result.
Winning a Stanley cup does not mean you are a great goaltender. Look at San Jose and Niemi. They were swept by St. Louis in the first round last year. Niemi won a cup with Chicago.

Numbers is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
  #460
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Winning a Stanley cup does not mean you are a great goaltender. Look at San Jose and Niemi. They were swept by St. Louis in the first round last year. Niemi won a cup with Chicago.
While a cup may not mean a lot it sure as hell is not a negative feature.

Mystifo is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
  #461
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
it seems like these past 5 months have been a waste , do people not read posts made by Canuck fans?
You think?

The discussion must be amusing to outsiders for sure.

Net Net....Toronto does not exactly have what the Canucks need to get in a trade for Luongo. If the team cannot be improved in the short or long run, they won't trade him.

Florida is a better fit as they at least have an asset in Petrovic which fits the Canucks needs and the ability to trade a first rounder with the significant pices already in place to build their team now and for the future: Gudbranson, Kulikov, Markstrom, Huberdeau, and Bjugstad. Howden, Shore and Robak are good depth players. They need to start drafting skilled wingers and depth D but have more than enough to compete if they improve their goaltending and if Huberdeau can make an impact.

Florida is a better fit for the Canucks in terms of tradeable assets. Gillis just needs to give up on Bjugstad.

ginner classic is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
  #462
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
While a cup may not mean a lot it sure as hell is not a negative feature.
Yes your are correct. Thank you for the brilliant advice.

Numbers is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:57 PM
  #463
Oilin Toronto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
it seems like these past 5 months have been a waste , do people not read posts made by Canuck fans?
It's depressing for me to say this, but I think I've read through endless trade proposals made by Van fans.

I think I've heard it all:
- Luongo's still one of the top goalies in the game...we will not trade him unless it's something substantial.
- Actually, we don't have to trade him...we are willing to play with two number 1 goalies. It's really not a distraction.
-No, his contract is really not that big of an issue. We all know that he's not going to fulfill his 10 year contract.
- He doesn't have a problem sharing the spotlight with Schneider...they're very supportive of one another, and are best friends.

Yes...I've heard it all.

Oilin Toronto is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:02 PM
  #464
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I think he was talking about what it would cost to aquire Ward.
I was wondering if a leafs fan would get it! Reading comprehension FTW!

Seatoo is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
  #465
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
While a cup may not mean a lot it sure as hell is not a negative feature.
hey dude, long time no talk, lol, been meaning to twitter you.

doorman is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
  #466
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
it seems like these past 5 months have been a waste , do people not read posts made by Canuck fans?
I try my best to ignore Canucks fans. And Habs fans. And Sens fans. All other fans are fine though.

colchar is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
  #467
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
I was wondering if a leafs fan would get it! Reading comprehension FTW!
I was working until almost 6am this morning (and didn't sleep during the day yesterday) and hadn't finished my first cup of coffee of the day when I posted that. Surely the late night and it being early in my day earns me a mulligan.

colchar is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
  #468
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I try my best to ignore Canucks fans. And Habs fans. And Sens fans. All other fans are fine though.
Not to belittle you invaluable contribution, but you might want to stay out of Luongo threads if you're trying to ignore Canucks fans. Also, judging from your previous post in this thread, you might want to work on your reading comprehension. Reilly/Gardiner was the quoted price for Ward, not Lu. We're just demanding Lupul, JVR, multiple 1sts and all your best prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I was working until almost 6am this morning (and didn't sleep during the day yesterday) and hadn't finished my first cup of coffee of the day when I posted that. Surely the late night and it being early in my day earns me a mulligan.
Well in that case please feel free to ignore the above

StringerBell is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
  #469
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Not to belittle you invaluable contribution, but you might want to stay out of Luongo threads if you're trying to ignore Canucks fans. Also, judging from your previous post in this thread, you might want to work on your reading comprehension. Reilly/Gardiner was the quoted price for Ward, not Lu. We're just demanding Lupul, JVR, multiple 1sts and all your best prospects



Well in that case please feel free to ignore the above
Well...that seems fair!!

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
  #470
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Well...that seems fair!!
And no way in hell are we taking back Connolly, Lombardi or Komi

StringerBell is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
  #471
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
And no way in hell are we taking back Connolly, Lombardi or Komi
Hell...with everybody else you are taking...we couldn't think of sending them...we'd need them just to fill our roster!!!

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:51 PM
  #472
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,922
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
And no way in hell are we taking back Connolly, Lombardi or Komi
No, no. The Jays hijacking the Marlins entire team must be balanced out by the Leafs having to give up their entire team.

Karma, don't fail us now.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
  #473
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No, no. The Jays hijacking the Marlins entire team must be balanced out by the Leafs having to give up their entire team.

Karma, don't fail us now.
actually, i see it the other way....Florida just gifted a bunch of Florida guys to TO....Van must follow suit...wait, where does Luongo call home?

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
  #474
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Hell...with everybody else you are taking...we couldn't think of sending them...we'd need them just to fill our roster!!!
I thought it was implied we would be sending Raymond and Ballard back too. You know, to add significant value from our side.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:57 PM
  #475
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
I thought it was implied we would be sending Raymond and Ballard back too. You know, to add significant value from our side.
And people say Van fans are unreasonable...you sir are to kind.

Liferleafer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.