HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Easiest league to transition from to AHL

Old
11-11-2012, 08:42 PM
wings5

vCash: 500
Easiest league to transition from to AHL

Based on the success of prospects in the AHL so far would it be fair to say the ease of transition to AHL goes...

1.NCAA
2.OHL
3.WHL
4.QMJHL
5.USHL

This is from a NA league point of view if you want to include European top leagues they would go likely 1st or 2nd.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Sivek

NCAA, primarily because of age of the player.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
ottawa
go habs go

Didn't expect to see NCAA at #1...I thought they'd be 3rd behing OHL and WHL because those 2 leagues have some really high end talent and it seems like a lot of current NHLers came from those leagues. Interesting though...what is the success based off

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:00 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Didn't expect to see NCAA at #1...I thought they'd be 3rd behing OHL and WHL because those 2 leagues have some really high end talent and it seems like a lot of current NHLers came from those leagues. Interesting though...what is the success based off
Just based on this years rookie success in the AHL, so from NCAA you have Schultz, Nelson, Billins and Jean, 4 from NCAA amongst top 7 in rookie scoring.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:11 PM
jigglysquishy

NCAA isn't a fair comparison. You're asking to systematically comparetwenty year olds with twenty two plus year olds.

jigglysquishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:19 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
NCAA isn't a fair comparison. You're asking to systematically comparetwenty year olds with twenty two plus year olds.
-2 for the USHL right?

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
It's a fairly simple equation. The top talent, the super star CHL players, go to the NHL straight away. The ones who stay long enough in the CHL to become AHL eligible usually just aren't very good.

NCAA players meanwhile are playing against full grown men for a year or more and are more prepared for the higher physical level.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Tv9924

The NHL

Tv9924 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:38 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It's a fairly simple equation. The top talent, the super star CHL players, go to the NHL straight away. The ones who stay long enough in the CHL to become AHL eligible usually just aren't very good.

NCAA players meanwhile are playing against full grown men for a year or more and are more prepared for the higher physical level.
I'm sure many would argue that point, so apparently then by that logic players like P.K Subban, Bobby Ryan and David Krejci aren't very good??

Old
11-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I think the thread should be changed to easiest league for 20-year-olds to transition from to AHL. It would be a more fair comparison that way. If we were to compare 20-year-olds, I would say it would go

1. OHL
2. WHL
3. NCAA
4. QMJHL
5. USHL

The OHL, WHL, and NCAA are well-rounded leagues but I don't think the NCAA prepares one for the grind of an 82-game schedule. The QMJHL players generally have a harder time transitioning as many of the players in that league can succeed without a really good defensive game so it is harder for them when they make it to the pros and are no longer the superstar player on the team and the coach asks them to take on a defensive role.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

I guess that, by your definition, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf "just aren't very good" then.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

I would say SEL.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:27 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Most the guys that come from the NCAA are over 20. That or pulled out early because they are special talents. The big thing with a lot of the NCAA guys is the schedule isn't great but for the most part they are very well rounded players. The problem you see with a lot of major junior players is they have areas of significant weakness that never needed to be addressed before the pro stage. Through all the practice time and shorter schedule I think the NCAA does a slightly better job at this but it is hard to rank them not on the same level as the OHL or CHL.

As far as Europe, my opinion is it would be easiest for the SM-Liiga guys from Finland. They play on a similar ice surface in a similar playing style.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I guess that, by your definition, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf "just aren't very good" then.
Yes they both way too slow and can't skate to make it big in the NHL.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:14 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I would say SEL.
I believe E Karlsson said that FEL is a lot competitive league compared to SEL and reminds him more from the NHL.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:14 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

As the OP said excluding Euro leagues I'd say:

NCAA
OHL
WHL
QMJHL
USHL

Obviously older players will be more physically mature and will have better success. Then not a very big difference between the CHL leagues imo.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post

NCAA
OHL
WHL
QMJHL
USHL

Obviously older players will be more physically mature and will have better success. Then not a very big difference between the CHL leagues imo.
If you were to base it on players currently playing in the AHL, you'd be surprised by how many QMJHLs there are.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
If you were to base it on players currently playing in the AHL, you'd be surprised by how many QMJHLs there are.
Let me fix that.

1. NCAA
2. CHL
3. USHL

I've been following a few Q players in the AHL closely (Palat, JAM, Phillips...etc). So I totally agree with you.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

1) ohl
2) whl
3) ncaa
4) qmjhl
5) ushl

11-12-2012, 04:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Excluding Europe, it's gotta be NCAA.

You get more practice time to improve in all areas of the game.
Get more time do off-ice training.
Get more time in maturing as a player.

So you see a lot more 2-way, stronger, NHL ready players coming out of college.

Also OHL probably has more talent than the dub, but in WHL you need to be physical and mentally stronger to compete than the OHL. IMO.

Last edited by S E P H: 11-12-2012 at 04:36 PM.
S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Shanahanigans

Not an option, but FWIW Jordan Eberle said on Bob Stauffer's show last week, that he found transitioning from the WHL to the NHL easier than going from the NHL to the AHL (Eberle has 12 points in 12 GP at the AHL so he's not lighting the world on fire but he's doing fine.)

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:39 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post

NCAA
OHL
WHL
QMJHL
USHL

I don't know the Q players seem to be adjusting much slower than the other leagues. Galiev, Jurco Phillips etc have been slow out of the gate.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:51 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I believe E Karlsson said that FEL is a lot competitive league compared to SEL and reminds him more from the NHL.
I agree with this. The style of play in the SM-Liiga is a lot more like the AHL/NHL than the SEL. I actually think going from the SEL to any league in North America and vice versa is quite difficult for many

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:42 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I agree with this. The style of play in the SM-Liiga is a lot more like the AHL/NHL than the SEL. I actually think going from the SEL to any league in North America and vice versa is quite difficult for many
Yes, although "competitive" is not the word I'd use. The SEL is a highly competitive league of parity where you have to work harder for scoring chances compared to most other leagues I know, even against the "bad" teams. But it's not the energetic hockey you will see in NA, the emphasis on hard work lies in the neutral and defensive zone mainly. It's the polar opposite of the AHL game pretty much, but has proved to be a good league to take the step into the NHL right away over the years. In many cases, I think going from SEL to NHL is easier than SEL to AHL.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:56 PM
TS Quint

Aren't there other factors that go into how well a player tansitions from an European Pro league? Like Pay. From what I hear from players the Liiga is more North American style due to size of the rink. But the SEL probably has more players that transfer better to the NHL partly because the SEL pays more. I'm not sure on this as I don't watch Euro hockey but does it have any truth? The KHL is a whole other ball of wax with the most money but low on work eithic.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote