HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sprained ankle, when can I go back?

Old
11-14-2012, 07:35 AM
reecardo

vCash: 500
Sprained ankle, when can I go back?

Sprained my ankle warming up last Wed. Didn't realize how bad it was and went ahead and played on it anyway, probably a huge mistake. Ice then heat for days, until Saturday when I went to an open skate just to break a sweat. It was fairly sore after. Did the same again yesterday. More Ice & Heat last night and for the next few days.

How do I know it is "OK" to go back? I waited until I could walk just fine, and it still wasn't long enough. Should I wait until there is no soreness at all? I generally skate five or six times a week, and this is my first "real" injury since I started playing back in February, so I am jonesing for some exercise!

reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecardo View Post
Sprained my ankle warming up last Wed. Didn't realize how bad it was and went ahead and played on it anyway, probably a huge mistake. Ice then heat for days, until Saturday when I went to an open skate just to break a sweat. It was fairly sore after. Did the same again yesterday. More Ice & Heat last night and for the next few days.

How do I know it is "OK" to go back? I waited until I could walk just fine, and it still wasn't long enough. Should I wait until there is no soreness at all? I generally skate five or six times a week, and this is my first "real" injury since I started playing back in February, so I am jonesing for some exercise!
its har to say depending on the type of sprain. you have to wait till the strength in that stretched ligament has returned and that could be a couple days to a few weeks.

high ankle sprains are even more variable. i would speak to a doctor before you hit the ice again though

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Put it this way... You've no idea what's happened there unless you've seen a doctor... What could seem to your non-medically trained eye as a sprain, could be a whole different problem... I know that's probably worst case, but you know what I mean...

Wait till it feels comfortable, just cause you can walk doesn't mean you can skate... They're two completely different things...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Beezeral

Go see a doctor. Ignore advice that says differently

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Go see a doctor. Ignore advice that says differently
Yup I would do the same. It safer and the right thing to do.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Could have fractured a bone, some bones in your feet are very small. Get an xray and go from there. I sprained my ankle badly playing hockey a long time ago, did hot cold treatments and it took me about 6 months to feel 100% again. It just lingers cause it never really gets the chance to rest unless you're in a wheel chair.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
reecardo

Get er Checked

Seemed like a typical sprain, a thin dark bruise just below the knob on the outside with moderate swelling that cleared up in a few days. Did this a lot when playing soccer and basketball long ago, so my ankles are "weak" anyway from repeated injury. No harm in going to the doc I guess, just scheduled an appointment for tomorrow.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:18 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecardo View Post
Seemed like a typical sprain, a thin dark bruise just below the knob on the outside with moderate swelling that cleared up in a few days. Did this a lot when playing soccer and basketball long ago, so my ankles are "weak" anyway from repeated injury. No harm in going to the doc I guess, just scheduled an appointment for tomorrow.
high vs low ankle sprain

low ankle sprains? I've delt with these with soccer and football... I've been able to "cope" with them to the point where I can just strap down a pair or skates or ski boots and continue on

high ankle sprain? took me 4 months till I could skate again, and I was back into teh swing of things until 8 months where I could move and not notice it

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:31 AM
reecardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
high vs low ankle sprain
high ankle sprain? took me 4 months till I could skate again, and I was back into teh swing of things until 8 months where I could move and not notice it
The doc injected my arm on Thursday and cleared me to play on Friday. It was a fairly light sprain and he recommended wrapping it which I did not, as at the open skates it made crossover very akward. I played Friday, and did an open skate at Lunch today and pickup tonight. It is a little sore tonight, but it is on ice, and I will play again in 7 hours...