HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be rule changes again this time around?

Old
11-20-2012, 05:23 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
To those calculating the GPG for last years playoffs. The Flyers/Pens series had a 9.3 GPG. 56 goals. Huge statistical outlier and would have a large effect on the other series GPG
So the real solution is more Fleurys and Bryzgalovs!!!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
While I agree the quality of a game shouldn't be judged only based on the goals, but in general: more goals = better entertainment.
Think it this way...

A very exciting game: 6-5 game > 2-1 game. Think about the 1987 series between Canada vs Russia where all 3 games ended 6-5.

A boring game: 6-5 game > 2-1 game. I've seen some very boring defensive games ended 1-0, 2-0. I've wished that they could score a bit more so I could cheer and scream.

Priority:
1. Make the game flowing better, i.e. less stoppages, off-sides, etc.
2. More goals
A 1-0 game with 20 scoring chances >>>>> 6-5 game with 11 scoring chances.

A 6-5 game with 30 chances >>> 2-3 game with 10 chances.

Scoring chances are what people like. Yes make the game flow better with less stoppages and while doing so scoring chances will rise

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:53 PM
StittsvilleJames

- Any puck off the foot and in, "kicking motion" or not, doesn't count.

- no touch icing

- remove instigator

- allow crazy curved blades

- 1 coach's review per game, used to watch video up to 1 or 2 minutes prior to a goal, to see if anything illegal happened (offside, blatant penalty, whatever) which led to a goal. Give the coach a minor penalty if nothing bad actually happened for delay of game.

StittsvilleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Thesensation19

I am not a fan of amending the instigator rule.

I think the rule is important. Though I respect the history of the game and how it was played, I much rather prefer the modern game and the limited amounts of fighting.

I watched some old games... I hated seeing a fight or a brawl break out every 3 minutes. 8/10 the brawl or fight started off something stupid.

If you want to fight, have two gentleman let out their anger and pump the team up in a battle of gentlemen fisticuffs lol. And when it really gets heated, a team brawl can occur. But keep the players on the bench, and penalize players who look to fight every shift there out there.

Maybe portions of the rule can change but I much rather watch the game today. A lot more scoring chances without the lack of passion.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Thesensation19

The game is not excited with an increase of goals.

People like to see a battle of two evenly matched teams, hustle, fight through scraps and basically the beauty of the game with high speed, fluid passing and teamwork.

Leave the goals the same, maybe limit goalie equipment size. But there safety must remain the same. I am sure with todays technology we can make more fitted equipment for goalies without sacrificing their bodies. I want goalies to rely more on their skills rather than their equipment.

Speaking of equipment, I want players shoulder pads and elbow pads to decrease in size as well.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Speaking of equipment, I want players shoulder pads and elbow pads to decrease in size as well.
Agreed, great call, a seemingly small elbow to the head knocks guys out for months with concussions. (Kubina on Bolland)

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote