HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

What about a new league?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2005, 04:08 PM
monkey_00*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
Let's say this year is a wash. And we have no idea when it will start up again. (next season or not) What do you guys think if the league started from scratch, be it "NHL2" or new league.

I guess the 1st question you might ask would be "How do we decipher what players are on which teams?"

Lets just say that all the teams that were in the "old NHL" transfer over to the "new NHL". And lets say there is or isn't a salary cap. I guess if you are looking at a new league that the players would agree to not have a cap. But how realistic may that be. Lets also say that there is some sort of cap.(40 million)
(with whatever stipulations there may be, revenue sharing...etc)

How about we have a huge draft with every NHL player available. And the order of the picking is in reference to whenever the team came into the league. So senior teams would have some advantage (their reward for being along for so long) So right off the bat Toronto or Montreal would have 1st pick. Maybe they could flip a coin to see who gets 1st pick. And it would go so on and so on. The last pick would go to Columbus, I believe. The order would go, 1 through 30, than start again.

Do you guys think that there should be a cap for this "new league"? This way the teams could be more evenly balenced (hopefully).

Anyways it was just something that I was thinking about. Obviously there would have to be a lot more to it, but I thought what the hay. Some people might get a kick out of it.

Cheers.
--------------

Vedder19........

This is a great idea for a thread.........there's so many ideas that come to mind if we were to start out with a new Hockey League........and the more I think about it the more I like the idea........the NHLPA doesn't want to agree to a salary cap BUT if they scrap the League and start anew with a new League name then there goes the NHLPA right?........maybe the stronger organizations of the old NHL would form the core of the new Hockey League.......the stronger teams would include teams from the Original 6 (Toronto-Montreal-Detroit-Chicago-Boston-NY Rangers) as well as 6 more clubs.....the next set of 6 clubs I would include Philly, Colorado, Dallas, Atlanta, L.A. and maybe Vancouver...........as it stands now in today's NHL 30-teams are too much.........for me 20 is a good number...and no more than that.........

Next..........this new League could be called "the Global Hockey League"...........the new League would have a Salary cap of $25-million per club excluding the highest payed player on the team............for example if your team is Colrado and signs Joe Sakic to a $8-million contract and is the highest payed player on that club he is excluded from their salary cap..........every other player's salary on the AVS combined cannot total more than $25-million..........

Next...........There will also be a European division.........the North American teams never play against the European teams during the regular season........the winner of North America plays the winner of Europe in the Finals of the Global Hockey League..............in time they may want to have some games during the regular season where teams from North America go up against teams from Europe no more than maybe 5-times yealry (limited)..............

Next..........the teams from the old NHL that survive and form the new "Global Hockey League" get to keep the same players they had when they were part of the NHL.............players that played in the old NHL on teams that didn't survive and form the new "Global Hockey League" get thrown into a Pool and a draft is held where the clubs from the new League take turns selecting players that use to play for teams that are now defunct......some examples of players that could be available in this draft include: Miro Satan (BUF), Rick Nash (CLB), Roberto Luongo (FLA), Ryan Smyth (EDM), etc, etc,.......the order of this draft will be determined in a lottery format............

Next............There will no longer be tied games........we will have only winners and losers...........a 5-minute overtime session is held and if after the 5-minutes the game is still tied we then go to a shootout to decide on a winner...........

Next..........the standard size ice rink of the NHL is 200-by-85 feet...........if any of the Rinks in this new "Global Hockey League" are capable of icing an Olympic-sized rink then that will be the size of rink that team will use........if the team can only supply for themselves a rink size of 200-by-85 feet then that will be their ice rink size........that means teams will be able to build clubs that cater and take advantage of the teams ice rink size.......for example: If your rink is Olympic-sized you will aim to build a team that is a great skating one.........and If your team plays in a rink 200-by-85 then you will aim to build your team as a physical one that likes to play along the boards......this will then give true meaning to "Home ice advantage"..........If Major League Baseball allows their teams to have different sized playing fields then Hockey should be able to do the same and have their teams play in whatever sized ice rink they want.......

Last but not least.........No Gary Betttman and Bob Gooden in this new Global Hockey League.

Old
02-11-2005, 04:14 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Where ya been fella?
Dar..................

............Been making movies.........I've been working with Mike Madsen on a series being aired on Thursday nights ESPN called; "TILT"........I'm one of the featured gamblers on episode #7......last night they aired Episode #3.........

I've also been working on the TV series "KOJAK" and recently worked with Dennis Hopper on a Zombie film called; "LAND OF THE DEAD"...........also got major camera time with Drew Barrymore in "FEVER PITCH".........and Heather Locklear in "THE PERFECT MAN".......WEST WING was up here for two weeks and I got to work on that set for 3-days with Jimmy Smits........I'm having a Blast!........

.............next week I get to work with Mark Wahlberg in a Feature called; "THE FOUR BROTHERS"

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
02-11-2005, 04:17 PM
leafaholix*

g................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................o..... ........... LEAfs!............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................Go11............... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................vvv!1

WOO!

(jk)

Old
02-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
recently worked with Dennis Hopper on a Zombie film called; "LAND OF THE DEAD"
Excellent, working with Mr. George A. must have been something. What production company do you work for? I'm currently assisting on a project called "Shoot", more details to follow when it goes into pre. Maybe we'll cross paths down the road.

Old
02-11-2005, 05:55 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Excellent, working with Mr. George A. must have been something. What production company do you work for? I'm currently assisting on a project called "Shoot", more details to follow when it goes into pre. Maybe we'll cross paths down the road.
-------------
Dar..........

I don't work for a production company I'm an actor........I have 4-background agents and one principal agent.......the principal agent sends me out for auditions for speaking parts in commercials, tv shows and major features.......I have speaking parts in 3-films: (1) Perfect Man; with Heather Locklear.......this one was filmed at Lee's Palace in Toronto....I get to bump into her in a crowded bar scene and I spill beer on her sweater.......I get to say "Ooops I'm sorry" (2) Fever Pitch; I'm outside Fenway Park in Boston and after a major victory by the Redsox I get to say; "The Redsox won!....we did it...we did it!!!" (3) This past monday I was on the set of TILT with Mike Madsen and I am one of the featured gamblers.....I play a losing hand of Texas holdem' Poker and got major camera time that day with Mike Madsen whose starred in such films like "Resevoir Dogs" and "Kill Bill".........I mostly do background work but I already have 3-credits on film..........next week I have 2-auditions for commercials........

What exactly do you do with Film Dar?.....Do you work for a production company?..........who knows?......maybe some day we'll cross paths and work on the same project.......I Fly down to Trinidad this June and work on a major feature.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
02-11-2005, 05:57 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
-------------
Dar..........

I don't work for a production company I'm an actor........I have 4-background agents and one principal agent.......the principal agent sends me out for auditions for speaking parts in commercials, tv shows and major features.......I have speaking parts in 3-films: (1) Perfect Man; with Heather Locklear.......this one was filmed at Lee's Palace in Toronto....I get to bump into her in a crowded bar scene and I spill beer on her sweater.......I get to say "Ooops I'm sorry" (2) Fever Pitch; I'm outside Fenway Park in Boston and after a major victory by the Redsox I get to say; "The Redsox won!....we did it...we did it!!!" (3) This past monday I was on the set of TILT with Mike Madsen and I am one of the featured gamblers.....I play a losing hand of Texas holdem' Poker and got major camera time that day with Mike Madsen whose starred in such films like "Resevoir Dogs" and "Kill Bill".........I mostly do background work but I already have 3-credits on film..........next week I have 2-auditions for commercials........

What exactly do you do with Film Dar?.....Do you work for a production company?..........What is "Shoot" all about?.......who knows?......maybe some day we'll cross paths and work on the same project.......I Fly down to Trinidad this June and work on a major feature.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
02-11-2005, 06:26 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
-------------
Dar..........

What exactly do you do with Film Dar?.....Do you work for a production company?..........What is "Shoot" all about?.......who knows?......maybe some day we'll cross paths and work on the same project.......I Fly down to Trinidad this June and work on a major feature.

Cheers!~

monkey_00
Oh my god! you're alive!!!!

Old
02-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Sued and jailed by whom?

What are they bound to?

If the players do not want to accept the working conditions, thereby resulting in the billions of dollars lost for the owners and the league, what kind of laws would the owners have their hands tied to?

I'm sure the governments do not like this lockout(except the Euro governments). They are losing out on lots of money too. Everybody is against the NHLPA and the sooner they come down from their high horses, we can get back on the ice, with whatever league they form.

But in all reality, they will not change the NHL. The players change, but not the NHL. The NHL will live longer than the players, no player is bigger than the game.
That is why everyone should side with the league and the owners, they have to worry about giving the game to our kids. The players are here today, gone tomorrow.
They have two options: Wait it out, or wait to get replacement players. The NHL like any other employer is bound by the law and cannot collapse and restart itself just to get its way in such discussions. If your union asked for dental on your next coverage plan, and instead of meeting the union's demands your employers shut down, started up again and re-employed people under their rules, they are in breech of the law.

And that applies in both countries.

Old
02-13-2005, 01:05 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
So while in the 02 draft Philly (a team that has made this league better and hasnt been a money loser) had the 4th overall draft, and then having some new guys (fla, columbus, atl) pick ahead of them.. Making their choices that much less. I'd say it'd be fairer for Philly to have a bouwmeester instead of having to settle with pitkanen (hes not horrible though) and then lose some more money during this lockout 'cause they couldnt do good with the players that they drafted. Sounds like we really don't need these wastefull teams.
... Columbus has been one of the handful of teams to actually make a profit over each of the last 4 seasons (their first 4 in the league), due to excellent success at the gate combined with an expansion team-sized payroll.

Argue that Columbus has been a drag on the league because they haven't iced a winning product yet (typical of most expansion franchises in most major sports) if you must, but please don't be an idiot and toss Columbus into the fray as one of the teams putting a financial strain on the league.

Old
02-13-2005, 01:22 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
... Columbus has been one of the handful of teams to actually make a profit over each of the last 4 seasons (their first 4 in the league), due to excellent success at the gate combined with an expansion team-sized payroll.

Argue that Columbus has been a drag on the league because they haven't iced a winning product yet (typical of most expansion franchises in most major sports) if you must, but please don't be an idiot and toss Columbus into the fray as one of the teams putting a financial strain on the league.
I have been telling people this for a while but it doesn't seem to sink in. Columbus is supported better that a lot of the teams that people want kept around but they are always on the list of teams in this group that people want to get rid of.

Old
02-13-2005, 01:27 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I have been telling people this for a while but it doesn't seem to sink in. Columbus is supported better that a lot of the teams that people want kept around but they are always on the list of teams in this group that people want to get rid of.
Unfortunately, many people seem to do little more than glance at the Conference standings before making assessments about Columbus as a hockey market. Few realize that this last-place team has sold out more than 2 of every 3 games played at Nationwide, to date.

Thanks for the good word.

Old
02-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
I'm totally for a new league. I hope that is what comes out of this whole mess. I want the NHL to explode and after all the chips fall, I hope they fall in places where hockey is loved and respected. A place where television contracts won't be hard to come by; a place where the arenas are filled with fans; in places where there is rivalry hockey.

As much as we like to think that hockey is big in the States, it's not.
It's no secret anymore and with a new league, many team owners will be considering "owning" a team in Canada. Every American NHL team owner is watching the loonie and what it might mean for their business...and they like it!
I thought you were going to Break into a Kenny Rodgers song there and call Bettman the Gambler..

You gotta know when to Hold 'um
Know when to Fold 'um
Know when to Walk away
Know when to Run ..

You never count you Contracting while sitting at the negotiating table

There will be time enough for Contracting when the CBA is done

Conclusion :

Bettman needs their vote now .. Once the new CBA is in place constructed around their very existence, their survival will no longer be a concern and focus will turn to how to make Jacobs and Wirtz rich...

Since the league is not prepared to refund any expansion money, they will likely provide a little kick back to them once the Hard Cap & Linkage is in place and the Owners coffers are overflowing .. This Bettman is no fool ..He needs no Revenue Sharing Plan.

He knows these Non-Hockey Markets are already clinically dead, kept only alive by Life supports systems of this lockout.. He is just strategically deciding when its in the best interest of his remaining Owner Family when to pull the plug.. IMO

Closed Thread