HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Part IV - Will he ever be Chucktastic/Michael Busto Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
  #1
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,920
vCash: 500
Alex Galchenyuk Part IV - Will he ever be Chucktastic/Michael Busto Edition

Continue your debates here

Andy is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:01 PM
  #2
Seb
Need more Therrien
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: England
Posts: 8,649
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Alex Bustchenyuk

Seb is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:02 PM
  #3
HabsDieHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
3rd year player at the age of 21 coming close to 50 points, and hitting the 20 goal mark.

Nothing to be disappointed about.

Of course you can find some franchise calibre players and compare their career trajectory with Galchenyuks and come away disappointed, but that is essentially searching for things to complain about.

HabsDieHard is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:13 PM
  #4
4Beliveau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Does anybody have video of that amazing goal from the pre-season that was Scherbak to Galchenyuk? Can't find it anywhere...

4Beliveau is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:20 PM
  #5
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,872
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk is not a hockey name, he'll bust.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:32 PM
  #6
Tyson
Registered User
 
Tyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 6,090
vCash: 500
Alex is a top 6 forward and will become a second tier star. Below elite but awesome either way!

Tyson is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:33 PM
  #7
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,086
vCash: 500
Alex Galchenybust

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:35 PM
  #8
HabsDieHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Alex Galchenybust
Yeah you sure "supported" that argument in the other thread.


HabsDieHard is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:38 PM
  #9
LaP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Galchenyuk is not a hockey name, he'll bust.
It's not as bad as the glorious Josh Dewolf which looks like the name of someone who's been part of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham ..

LaP is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:43 PM
  #10
HTTP 400
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,038
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Beliveau View Post
Does anybody have video of that amazing goal from the pre-season that was Scherbak to Galchenyuk? Can't find it anywhere...
Just went through preseason scoresheets, and Galchenyuk never scored on a pass from Sherback. Galchenyuk did score 2 goals, but assisted by Thomas and Subban.

Are you talking about an intra-squad game?

HTTP 400 is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:44 PM
  #11
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Alex Galchenybust
In the last thread you said that you barely (if at all) saw any progress from Chucky if you look at his 1st season and now. Are you basing yourself only on his offensive game or his game as a whole? Because there's no doubt in my mind that Galchenyuk is a better player in his own end and is a lot more involved in terms of physicality. If you're talking strictly about offense then I can somewhat agree with you. He's still struggling to get his shot off and tries to be too fancy sometimes. Those are mistakes that he hasn't corrected since making it to the NHL.

But like others have pointed out, given the fact that he's playing a second line role, this is a super low scoring season and he doesn't get a ton of minutes on the PP. I think his season is definitely a step in the right direction. I think one of your mistakes and you've sort of admitted in your other posts, is that you put too much stock in his draft position and some of the hype he got when he was selected. I see AG as a 20-25 Gs and 40-45 apples type of center with an adequate defensive game.

Chris Cutter is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:51 PM
  #12
blarneylad
Registered User
 
blarneylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I see AG as a 20-25 Gs and 40-45 apples type of center with an adequate defensive game.
I think this is a very realistic expectation.

blarneylad is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 01:53 PM
  #13
HabsDieHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
In the last thread you said that you barely (if at all) saw any progress from Chucky if you look at his 1st season and now. Are you basing yourself only on his offensive game or his game as a whole? Because there's no doubt in my mind that Galchenyuk is a better player in his own end and is a lot more involved in terms of physicality. If you're talking strictly about offense then I can somewhat agree with you. He's still struggling to get his shot off and tries to be too fancy sometimes. Those are mistakes that he hasn't corrected since making it to the NHL.

But like others have pointed out, given the fact that he's playing a second line role, this is a super low scoring season and he doesn't get a ton of minutes on the PP. I think his season is definitely a step in the right direction. I think one of your mistakes and you've sort of admitted in your other posts, is that you put too much stock in his draft position and some of the hype he got when he was selected. I see AG as a 20-25 Gs and 40-45 apples type of center with an adequate defensive game.
To me the most encouraging part of Galchenyuks' game is that his weaknesses are things he can work on.

If he can improve his skating speed and work on his accuracy he could easily hit 30 goals next year.

Right now it's tough for him to get separation from the opposition, he doesn't need to be an elite speedster out there but if he can put in some work and improve there that should be much less of an issue.

I see no reason why he can't develop a high end 2 way game, he seems to possess all of the tools.

In his rookie year he had 1.64 shots per game, last year 1.69. This year he's a shade over 2.

You get more shots on net and you'll have more offensive success.

In terms of overall production, no, his game hasn't taken a big step since his rookie year...but his even strength point production has him as a top 6 producing forward in the NHL this year.

Give him some time to make his mark on the power play, and that could happen as soon as next year, and 60+ points isn't an unrealistic expectation at all.

As I said earlier, if you want to compare him to Stamkos, Tavares and Kane and talk about what a disappointment he is, you can do it, quite easily.

But if you just look at him, and how his overall game is progressing, it's pretty difficult to not be very optimistic about his future.

HabsDieHard is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 02:07 PM
  #14
LaP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneylad View Post
I think this is a very realistic expectation.
Not really. He is already doing that at 20. He should do more at 25-26-27.

A more realistic expectation is 25 goals and 60 points.

LaP is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 02:10 PM
  #15
Baruch
I like DD (Cups)
 
Baruch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
Not really. He is already doing that at 20. He should do more at 25-26-27.

A more realistic expectation is 25 goals and 60 points.
Apples stands for assists
20-40-60 to 25-45-70 was what he was talking about.

Baruch is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
  #16
LaP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
Apples stands for assists
20-40-60 to 25-45-70 was what he was talking about.
ok then yeah realistic i thought apples were points. But i love apples and i'm kind of sad they are doomed to be assists only

LaP is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 02:15 PM
  #17
habalifeok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk is already very good considering where they have him playing.If he played right wing and they switched Gallagher across to left wing how do you they think they would compare relatively speaking?
Thats what I mean Galchenyuk will be elite.

habalifeok is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 02:20 PM
  #18
Baruch
I like DD (Cups)
 
Baruch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
ok then yeah realistic i thought apples were points. But i love apples and i'm kind of sad they are doomed to be assists only
I guess grapefruit would be goals, and pears would be points...

Like MT so wisely said: in a fruit salad, you need a bit of everything!

Baruch is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 02:31 PM
  #19
4Beliveau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 400 View Post
Just went through preseason scoresheets, and Galchenyuk never scored on a pass from Sherback. Galchenyuk did score 2 goals, but assisted by Thomas and Subban.

Are you talking about an intra-squad game?
Very possible...maybe that's why I can't find it. Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? It was a great pass in the neutral zone and Chucky scored a beauty.

4Beliveau is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
  #20
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 400 View Post
Just went through preseason scoresheets, and Galchenyuk never scored on a pass from Sherback. Galchenyuk did score 2 goals, but assisted by Thomas and Subban.

Are you talking about an intra-squad game?
No he scored a highlight reel goal assists from Scherbak and Emelin in preseason

Vi Nc E x13x is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 03:08 PM
  #21
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk is great, I don't get all that bust talk. At the same time, people were labeling Pacioretty a bust after 2 seasons so I don't really take Habs fans seriously.

Taupy is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 03:09 PM
  #22
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
He's another Petrov.

Habs is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 03:16 PM
  #23
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
In the last thread you said that you barely (if at all) saw any progress from Chucky if you look at his 1st season and now. Are you basing yourself only on his offensive game or his game as a whole? Because there's no doubt in my mind that Galchenyuk is a better player in his own end and is a lot more involved in terms of physicality. If you're talking strictly about offense then I can somewhat agree with you. He's still struggling to get his shot off and tries to be too fancy sometimes. Those are mistakes that he hasn't corrected since making it to the NHL.
I wouldn't say he's more involved physically, but he's certainly more effective physically. He always got involved physically but he didn't come out on top a lot as an 18-19 year old and now he does. But that's not something I would attribute to development, that's just physical maturation.

As for defensively, sure there has been improvement but I haven't seen a massive improvement, though I think that's partly because his impact defensively is much more limited as a winger. To me he's gone from a guy who mostly is ok but would slips up fairly regurlarly to a guy whose mostly ok and doesn't slip up very often. That's good, but if that's all there is to show after 3 years then I think it's fair for people to question his development. The fact that the coach still doesn't trust him as a center because of his defensive ability is another cause for concern. Though personally I think that's Therrien being dumb and not Galchenyuk not being ready.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 03:18 PM
  #24
blarneylad
Registered User
 
blarneylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
I wouldn't say he's more involved physically, but he's certainly more effective physically. He always got involved physically but he didn't come out on top a lot as an 18-19 year old and now he does. But that's not something I would attribute to development, that's just physical maturation.

As for defensively, sure there has been improvement but I haven't seen a massive improvement, though I think that's partly because his impact defensively is much more limited as a winger. To me he's gone from a guy who mostly is ok but would slips up fairly regurlarly to a guy whose mostly ok and doesn't slip up very often. That's good, but if that's all there is to show after 3 years then I think it's fair for people to question his development. The fact that the coach still doesn't trust him as a center because of his defensive ability is another cause for concern. Though personally I think that's Therrien being dumb and not Galchenyuk not being ready.
Not my intention to turn this into DD related discussion. But he is the worst defensive centerman in the lineup as of right now.

blarneylad is offline  
Old
04-07-2015, 03:28 PM
  #25
charlie
Registered User
 
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Only thing Galchenyuk needs to do is slow things down a bit.........he seems to be panicking his thoughts and decisions....once he figures that out he going to be real good.

charlie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.