HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion

View Poll Results: Who wins a fight between Lucian Bute and Jean Pascal ?
Lucian Bute 12 26.67%
Jean Pascal 31 68.89%
Draw 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 11:47 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Did any of you guys watch the press conference yesterday? Maybe it was a re-run or something, but it was entertaining.

Pascal goes on an on about how he's never disrespected anyone in his life, and in his eyes disrespect means insulting someone's race, color, sex, family, etc. Then he goes on to say that Bute said he was going to "ferme his gueule" and that it was a lack of respect. He talks just to hear himself speak, and he came off as so stupid in that conference. Bute just sat there and smiled.
I'm not big into boxing, so I don't know who's the better fighter (it seems that the odds are slightly in Pascal's favour) but just based off of that presser, I would say that I hope Bute wins. But realistically, it's just cool to have two Montreal guys (more or less) fighting on HBO like this.
Imagine both boxers just sat there and smiled though?

Pascal is doing his job of promoting the fight...if it wasn't for him, would anyone care about this fight?

I mean, it's great that Bute comes off as a nice guy and everything...but man...show some emotion.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Pascal is a hack. Good athleticism but god awful technique. He can't jab, is often off balance after trying to land his punches and is out of gas after six rounds. He has a good chin though. Basically, if he lands early, he could knock Bute. However, if Bute is sharp, uses his jab (something he didn't do vs Froch) and counters well, I see him winning by decision. I hope he does use his signature body punches. It's his only way to KO Pascal as he has a good chin. Obviously, Bute's chin is a question mark. But IMO, he's the better boxer. Maybe not the better fighter though.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

I respect Pascal's boxing abilities but I don't respect his persona and if he wins Saturday, we will never hear the end of it from him until Stevenson destroys him (if they ever fight each other). Therefore I hope Bute wins, I prefer the humble types.

That being said, I say Pascal wins in less than 6 rounds because correct me if I'm wrong but Pascal will have the weight advantage since Bute is climbing up a division.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Ghost View Post
I respect Pascal's boxing abilities but I don't respect his persona and if he wins Saturday, we will never hear the end of it from him until Stevenson destroys him (if they ever fight each other). Therefore I hope Bute wins, I prefer the humble types.

That being said, I say Pascal wins in less than 6 rounds because correct me if I'm wrong but Pascal will have the weight advantage since Bute is climbing up a division.
I don't get it lol...this is boxing, it's always been this way.

It's rare that boxer's, at least the prime time one's, have as meek of personalities as Bute does.

It's entertainment man

Old
01-16-2014, 12:11 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Pascal comes off as an idiot more than as arrogant.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:16 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Bute's technique is overrated. I also hate the fact that the Bute camp played off the "ferme ta gueule" comments by saying Bute isn't great in french.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't get it lol...this is boxing, it's always been this way.

It's rare that boxer's, at least the prime time one's, have as meek of personalities as Bute does.

It's entertainment man
And I don't get it how someone can enjoy the sometimes nonsensical ramblings of a moron. The Bute's "fermé sa gueule" comment that Pascal was going on about was so forced it was cringe worthy. That's not entertainment, that's just trying too hard to make something out of nothing. We all know after the fight, win or lose, but boxers will say how much they respect one another and bla bla bla... so fake. unbelievable some people still fall for these press conferences.

And there have been many prime time boxers with "meek" personalities but they are obviously overshadowed by the more attention craving flamboyant ones.

I get my entertainment from the actual fight in the ring but to each his own I guess. Enjoy the fight on Saturday.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Ghost View Post
And I don't get it how someone can enjoy the sometimes nonsensical ramblings of a moron. The Bute's "fermé sa gueule" comment that Pascal was going on about was so forced it was cringe worthy. That's not entertainment, that's just trying too hard to make something out of nothing. We all know after the fight, win or lose, but boxers will say how much they respect one another and bla bla bla... so fake. unbelievable some people still fall for these press conferences.

And there have been many prime time boxers with "meek" personalities but they are obviously overshadowed by the more attention craving flamboyant ones.

I get my entertainment from the actual fight in the ring but to each his own I guess. Enjoy the fight on Saturday.
lol come on...you think I don't know that's fake and totally fabricated?

Bute has NO personality. This is totally drummed up to increase interest in this fight.

Anyone can see that...

Promotion is a BIG part of boxing and unfortunately, in this fight, we have 2 boxer's who everyone knows have a lot of respect for each other, but unfortunately have to prop up this fight to get as many viewers as possible. Jean Pascal is just playing his part, Lucian Bute is trying...but it's just not within him lol

Pascal is going to play the 'heel' because this fight needs one...but this isn't like Hopkins/Pascal, where there was genuine hate between both fighter's.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:38 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

They're doing this to sell the remaining tickets. Pascal can't be doing the same thing as Bute and just smile, there were still 1000 tickets left unsold. Smiling to the camera and answering with cliches doesn't help selling tickets. Challenging your opponent to get up and tell you in your face that he'll shut you up on the other hand...

Old
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
They're doing this to sell the remaining tickets.
Of course they are. It's just amazing that so many people fall for these fake press conferences and get all excited over them. It's WWE'ish.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
lol come on...you think I don't know that's fake and totally fabricated?

Bute has NO personality. This is totally drummed up to increase interest in this fight.

Anyone can see that...

Promotion is a BIG part of boxing and unfortunately, in this fight, we have 2 boxer's who everyone knows have a lot of respect for each other, but unfortunately have to prop up this fight to get as many viewers as possible. Jean Pascal is just playing his part, Lucian Bute is trying...but it's just not within him lol

Pascal is going to play the 'heel' because this fight needs one...but this isn't like Hopkins/Pascal, where there was genuine hate between both fighter's.
I think they're trying too hard. They don't need to prop up their fight.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Kboum

Pascal is a helluva fighter (I didnt say boxer).
He's got some technique holes he's often off balance trying to land a haymaker.

Bute was great technical but since the Froch fight he seemed to play the "I'll let him run out of gaz and defend" card. It was a good fight against Froch in the first 2 rounds because Bute was trying to hit him a bit but then in the 3rd he stopped completely and just wanted to defend for some reason. I just hope he won't try that against Pascal because that'll be a long 5 rounds. Pascal will give everything when his opponnent isnt fighting back. He'll try to end this because he gets pumped by the crowd and can go out of his gameplan.

If Bute use the Counter punch card he'll score lots of points. Won't be a great knock out fight if Bute wins it but he'll score lots of points like that... Pascal opens his side when he tries his back hand and he doenst use his jab at all.

Bute needs to jab to keep him off him and counter to the right body with his left to the liver. But if Pascal wins this it'll be by TKO early on.

I do think Pascal is the front runner so far and by a lot more than people can think. He's got the confident, hes a good fighter and intimidating. Both are home crowd. Pascal fights at 176 and Bute at 168 IIRC... so Bute gotta use his long arms and fight smart.

I LOVE Jean Pascal as a fighter/boxer. Great skills. But I hate his persona.
I like Bute has a boxer (loved him in his first 17-19 fights he was hitting the body more and was more condident less soft)

Should be a good fight can't wait. I think Pascal will win but my heart says Bute something like :

Bute 115 wins 7 rounds
Pascal 112 wins 5 round and gets a penalty for shoving in the cable something like that

Old
05-24-2014, 07:56 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

anybody watching stevenson tonight?

Old
05-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Kenny Powders

Will watch the fight tonight. Still trying to find a stream. If someone has one please share it! thanks!

Old
05-24-2014, 08:15 PM
PuckSeparator

Nope but will be watching UFC.

Old
05-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

vCash: 50
Found a stream though it's poor quality. Can I post it here?

Old
05-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
Found a stream though it's poor quality. Can I post it here?
Of course you can!!

Old
05-24-2014, 08:44 PM
FazChenyuk

fonfara is gonna get killed

Old
05-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

vCash: 50
Quote: