Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Monday Night Raw thread #34

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 10:18 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
The WWE should really stick to smaller venues when they arent in big wrestling markets. There's absolutely no way they turned a profit on that last show.

Smaller venues have better atmospheres anyways

Old
11-24-2012, 11:56 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
The WWE should really stick to smaller venues when they arent in big wrestling markets. There's absolutely no way they turned a profit on that last show.

Smaller venues have better atmospheres anyways
It's sad. It always used to be Raw was in the professional scale arenas (MSG, TD Garden, etc) and Smackdown/house shows would be at minor league arenas (Providence Civic Center, Worcester Centrum)...The big arenas would hold about 18k at full capacity (yes, wrestling is much less and the smaller ones about half that.

Now they struggle to fill the small arenas unless it's in the Northeast or Chicago. Heck, it even seemed like Survivor Series had some sections tarped off. I usually judge the capacity of a crowd by the camera angles. If they show a deeply zoomed out wide angle shot from the top of the mezzanine, it's cuz they're not afraid to show the entire crowd. When they don't, and when they only show the hard camera side from the floor seats and below, I find it extremely telling. It's like they're hiding the rows and rows of empties.

If they want to get full crowds they need to book smaller arenas, like the lower level sports and university arenas, and slash ticket prices dramatically. I paid about 70 bucks to sit lower bowl at Night of Champions which I thought was reasonable, but for a Raw those tickets shouldn't be any higher than half that. The goal should be to get families in there, since that's who they market the product to anyway.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Just put Raw in the big markets and put Smackdown/house shows in smaller markets where you can pipe in cheers and ****.

Raw - Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, Boston, England, etc. (big markets)

Smackdown/House Shows - everywhere else.

11-24-2012, 12:35 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Just put Raw in the big markets and put Smackdown/house shows in smaller markets where you can pipe in cheers and ****.

Raw - Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, Boston, England, etc. (big markets)

Easier said than done because of travel though. They typically run the gauntlet in every region. Take Boston for example, they'll run some house shows in Worcester or Providence (where the AHL arenas are) over the weekend, around an hour from Boston. RAW will be held in Boston. The very next night for Smackdown they'll hold it in Providence or Worcester again, then throughout the week they'll run house shows on the way to their next city which is usually NY/LI. Then they repeat the cycle over and over as they move from one area to the next. Of course, this was a whole lot easier when the WWF simply ran up and down the East coast. Now that they branched out West it makes the travel much worse.

It would be nice to have RAW in the major markets that support a full house, and relegate the non-live programs to the less rabid fanbases...but logistically it's just not worth it.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post

I agree. But It would be too expensive on the fans if they had RAW coming to their city every few months, so attendance would diminish since they can't afford it. You can book the larger venues for the big markets and still hit up smaller markets for RAW but just stick to smaller venues there.

Unfortunately, Vince's ego gets in the way

Old
11-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Just a reminder if anyone is interested, CM Punk is on Talking Dead on AMC @ 11pm.
It's a talk show discussing the Walking Dead series on the same channel. Apparently he's into the zombie genre. I'm gonna DVR it.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:05 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Just a reminder if anyone is interested, CM Punk is on Talking Dead on AMC @ 11pm.
It's a talk show discussing the Walking Dead series on the same channel. Apparently he's into the zombie genre. I'm gonna DVR it.
Do you even watch the show? If you don't watch the show, I wouldn't bother watching TTD

Old
11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Do you even watch the show? If you don't watch the show, I wouldn't bother watching TTD
I watch Walking Dead but maybe have seen one episode of Talking Dead.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Quote:
This is the only reason why I'll be watching Talking Dead tonight.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Absolutely love the Walking Dead, never watched the Talking Dead they don't screen it here and never bothered to download it, will make a point of "obtaining' it this week.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
I watch Walking Dead but maybe have seen one episode of Talking Dead.
Nah, I just meant it in the sense that if you didn't watch TWD, I wouldnt waste your time watching TTD just because Punk was on it since they're just going to talk about the show

Old
11-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Nah, I just meant it in the sense that if you didn't watch TWD, I wouldnt waste your time watching TTD just because Punk was on it since they're just going to talk about the show
I gotcha,
I know he's a zombie fan so I wanted to get his take on the series and see if he talks about the graphic novel as well.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:49 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Great Ziggler interview:

Old
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Ziggler is a great character. He does his cocky show-off character and adds a little bit truth to it. It makes a wrestling fan wonder what is real and what is fake. That's beautiful. It's really hard to keep that in wrestling today because so many interviews are based on real life. Great stuff.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:05 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Old
11-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Great Ziggler interview:

I am what would be considered the casual WWE fan. I was excited for a few months following Punks speech on the ramp, tuned back to see Jericho return, Rock return. There is very little that gets me to stay on WWE on Monday Nights when I am flipping around if MNF is uninteresting. However, Dolph is exciting to watch. Ambrose from the youtube videos I've seen is very engaging and hope to see him grow with a mic. There is certainly some promise for the future with these guys starting to take charge.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Just got my encyclopedia. Time to get edumucated

Old
11-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

Only thing i'm looking forward to tonight...do i even have to say it? Ambrose mic-time.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:10 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Nice to see they didn't ignore Chris Benoit in the book

What am I looking forward to today? The HFWF event

Old
11-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

The war has begun. HFWF Monday Slaughter's been posted.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
What I believe will happen;

Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns kick off Raw with the interview by Cole. Ryback comes out, and we get the announcement that tonight, it will be Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns vs. Ryback, Kidd and Santino (all 3 have been attacked).

Punk interferes in the main event and reveals himself to be the leader and the mastermind behind all of this.

One can dream, right?

Old
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

vCash: 383
I am guessing another cold open tonight with the show being in Lafayette tonight

Old
11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
What I believe will happen;

Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns kick off Raw with the interview by Cole. Ryback comes out, and we get the announcement that tonight, it will be Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns vs. Ryback, Kidd and Santino (all 3 have been attacked).

Punk interferes in the main event and reveals himself to be the leader and the mastermind behind all of this.

One can dream, right?
I think they'll play it up all show. Unfortunately, we won't get any words as Ryback will come out and get the best of 'em this week. People will whine/cry and hate on Raw.

My guess - no words from the 3 guys this week.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

I think they end up closing the show and I think they actually do speak. I think Ambrose explains their actions and why they're doing it, and then Ryback comes out and takes out Rollins and Reigns. Ryback and Ambrose have a stare down until Punk attacks Ryback with the WWE Championship from behind and knocks him out cold. Rollins/Reigns come to and all four embrace in the ring and it's revealed Punk put the group together and plan on taking WWE to new heights.

Build sympathy for Ryback and we have a real stable this time.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Plus, they'll need to build towards the Ryback/Punk match at TLC (assuming they are going down that road). Punk interfering would be a perfect way to do so and would continue his streak of standing over Ryback without doing much work.

I still think we'll have that six man tag though, which is why I think Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns open the show. Have Teddy Lo, er... Vickie come out and announce the main event.

Closed Thread