HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 183: Havent You Ever Seen

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 10:49 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Example 472 of "Why I Loathe Unions"
i can already tell you have a level-headed, balanced view on the subject.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:57 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
Kill it before it kills you.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:

While I don't disagree with him, you're 100% right too.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Just got back from my Yearly Physical.....

Doc says i have a BMI of a 25 year old.....Sweet!!! Too bad my graying hair says otherwise.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:14 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Doc says i have a BMI of a 25 year old.....Sweet!!! Too bad my graying hair says otherwise.
I know a lot of 25 years olds with ≥30 BMIs! But I'm sure he meant you're healthy, so good for you.

Here's a BMI calculator if people want to figure there's out for fun. It's really a completely nonsensical formula though.

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

Old
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
I know a lot of 25 years olds with ≥30 BMIs! But I'm sure he meant you're healthy, so good for you.

Here's a BMI calculator if people want to figure there's out for fun. It's really a completely nonsensical formula though.

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm
Definitely is, it doesnt take into account anything regarding diet/nutrition/exercise.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:47 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Definitely is, it doesnt take into account anything regarding diet/nutrition/exercise.
It also classifies many very strong and healthy people as "overweight" and some even as "obese". It's a terrible metric and it should no longer be used.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

my BMI says I'm obese. Well past obese!

Old
11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
my BMI says I'm obese. Well past obese!
And I'm guessing you're not?

Keep in mind, whenever you hear on the news how America faces an "Obesity epidemic" - that figure is based SOLELY on BMI. It's hogwash. Americans could certainly be healthier, but the statistics you hear that essentially say a ridiculously high percentage of Americans are obese, are simply not so.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
And I'm guessing you're not?

Keep in mind, whenever you hear on the news how America faces an "Obesity epidemic" - that figure is based SOLELY on BMI. It's hogwash. Americans could certainly be healthier, but the statistics you hear that essentially say a ridiculously high percentage of Americans are obese, are simply not so.
Well I guess I am, but only to that BMI chart. I don't think I exactly look like what someone would call obese though. I do work out a lot, but even I'll admit it's not all muscle, but some. I'm about 260, and a 6'2''. And yes I agree on the ''Obesity epidemic''. If we're going by that chart, I would bet at least 75 to 80 percent of Americans are at ''Overweight'' according to that chart. Even the people who definitely do not look like they have a weight problem.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:12 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
It's hogwash. Americans could certainly be healthier, but the statistics you hear that essentially say a ridiculously high percentage of Americans are obese, are simply not so.
i'm going to pass on this juicy one as well. cowbell, if theres a HF Heaven, i'd better get my wings

Old
11-16-2012, 12:12 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
I agree on the ''Obesity epidemic''. If we're going by that chart, I would bet at least 75 to 80 percent of Americans are at ''Overweight'' according to that chart. Even the people who definitely do not look like they have a weight problem.
I dont know what percent (it's impossible to know) but it's a lot, which is why it's such nonsense. I'm in pretty darn good shape, and in the normal range, but I'm fairly close to being "overweight" by the official BMI chart used to tabulate the statistics.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
I dont know what percent (it's impossible to know) but it's a lot, which is why it's such nonsense. I'm in pretty darn good shape, and in the normal range, but I'm fairly close to being "overweight" by the official BMI chart used to tabulate the statistics.
I'm actually tired of hearing about it. It seems every time you turn on nightline or one of those national news programs they run a story about the epidemic every week. They're starting to give it more coverage than they did smoking. They also try to make it out to be that people just started becoming overweight in the last few years, and that no one was heavy ya know 20, 30 years ago.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:23 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
It is? What? Are you being serious or is that a reference from a movie or something.
Movies, again? Maybe it's some kind of neo-con thing.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:29 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Turmoil in the Middle East. Oh boy, what else is new?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:39 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
i'm going to pass on this juicy one as well. cowbell, if theres a HF Heaven, i'd better get my wings
But he's right, just look around you. Americans have very impressive belly muscles. They are the size of a nice, round ball.

Quote:
"Roughly 30 percent of Americans are obese," based on their body mass index (BMI), study author Dr. Eric Braverman, president of the nonprofit research group, the Path Foundation in New York City, told HealthDay. "But when you use other methods, closer to 60 percent are obese. We call BMI the 'baloney mass index.'"

A BMI is a fat measurement that takes a person's weight and divides it by the square of his or her height. According to the National Institutes of Health, a BMI of 25-29.9 is considered overweight and a BMI of 30 or greater is considered obese.

But the authors of the study, published in the April 2 issue of PLoS One, say that measurement leads to many false diagnoses.

For their study, the researchers reviewed more than 9,000 charts of patients who visited a medical private practice in New York City. Patients were an average of 51 years old, and 63 percent were women. Researchers wanted to compare how BMI tests measured against a different test to measure obesity, called a duel-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA). The DXA is a machine that uses x-rays to measure muscle, bone mass and body fat.

What did they find?

BMI tests found 26 percent of patients were obese, while DXA indicated 64 percent were obese. What's more, 39 percent of patients found to be not obese by BMI standards were classified as obese by the DXA test. BMI tests were twice as likely to misclassify women, the researchers found.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:44 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
I'm actually tired of hearing about it. It seems every time you turn on nightline or one of those national news programs they run a story about the epidemic every week.
If they understood the mathematical formula BMI is based on, they'd stop. It's completely ambiguous. It's not like the formula calculating gravity, instead, it's "underpants" arbitrary. Even the guy who invented BMI admitted it's of limited use, but at the very least, I think most people would be shocked if they knew it's nearly 200 years old and created by a guy who wasnt even a doctor or healthcare practitioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Movies, again? Maybe it's some kind of neo-con thing.
Huh?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

those clowns in congress did it again

Old
11-16-2012, 12:52 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
But he's right, just look around you. Americans have very impressive belly muscles. They are the size of a nice, round ball.
im sure if romney's wife was trying to 'fix' our obesity epidemic, everything would be hunky dory

dammit. to hf purgatory i go.

and, as a side note, disregard BMI, DXA, ZZTop all you want. have a look at diabetes/hypertension trends in this country. or take a drive through Mississippi, whichever's easier

Old
11-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Scott04

Quote:
im sure if romney's wife was trying to 'fix' our obesity epidemic, everything would be hunky dory

and, as a side note, disregard BMI, DXA, ZZTop all you want. have a look at diabetes/hypertension trends in this country. or take a drive through Mississippi, whichever's easier
You mean girls aren't crazy about a sharp dressed man?

Old
11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
You mean girls aren't crazy about a sharp dressed man?
well **** my face

Old
11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:

1) My main point is that BMI is a terrible statistic.

2) My second point is that "obesity" as currently statistically calculated (not as a diagnosed medical condition) is overinflated in America due to the use of BMI as the sole (literally) defining metric for tabulation.

Lastly, while diabetes is indeed increasing, you're now conflating two different things that are empirically (while not entirely unrelated) not 1:1 relative.

And the fact that you are now somehow (bizarrely) tieing in Michelle Obama to this conversation defines just how hyper-partisan an individual you are. It's becoming very tiresome that no matter what I post in TAN you somehow try to inject politics into it or create a polititroll climate (like this BMI conversation). I could write that I saw a beautiful sunset yesterday, and you'd somehow try to swing the conversation into an argument about global warming. It's getting annoying. Though kudos for somehow getting a conversation from "BMI is a bad health metric because...." to a political argument. That must take some real skill.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
1) My main point is that BMI is a terrible statistic.

2) My second point is that "obesity" as currently statistically calculated (not as a diagnosed medical condition) is overinflated in America due to the use of BMI as the sole (literally) defining metric for tabulation.

Lastly, while diabetes is indeed increasing, you're now conflating two different things that are empirically (while not entirely unrelated) not 1:1 relative.

And the fact that you are now somehow (bizarrely) tieing in Michelle Obama to this conversation defines just how hyper-partisan an individual you are. It's becoming very tiresome that no matter what I post in TAN you somehow try to inject politics into it or create a polititroll climate (like this BMI conversation). I could write that I saw a beautiful sunset yesterday, and you'd somehow try to swing the conversation into an argument about global warming. It's getting annoying. Though kudos for somehow getting a conversation from "BMI is a bad health metric because...." to a political argument. That must take some real skill.
Which is exactly why that sentence didn't have a sarcasm icon slapped on it, right?

Why does everything have to be taken personally around here?

Old
11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Old
11-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
I died LOL'ing!

This was certainly random, but man was it funny!

Closed Thread