HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 183: Havent You Ever Seen

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

vCash: 500
It bothers me that our main news channels barely give us any actual news, it's really pathetic.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I'm predicting this is a future 2013 Darwin Award nominee (possibly winner)

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/n...parks-protests
This will definitely end well. I swear.

11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Not that they're perfect, but Al-Jazeera and BBC tend to have more information-based coverage of American news events.
I look at both of those too, but BBC is pretty left-wing biased and Al Jazeera is, essentially, "America Hating".

But if you like Al Jazeera, you might like Al Arabiya, which is where I prefer to get my Arab-centric Middle Eastern news. Not as anti-American, and they have much better M.E. content than any American news source.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:16 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

New Sim City coming out in March. That will be the next "video" game i buy.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Nick0930

I bought a lottery ticket ($42 million) and put it up on Facebook and told people if they like my business' page, they'll get a share of the winnings. Up to now the picture has 114 ''Shares'', 68 Likes and my business page has 41 likes.

*facepalm*

Old
11-16-2012, 06:39 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Leonid Meteor Shower peaks overnight. The moon has probably set already so it wont impact the view.

There is actually a "second peak" in a few days.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
I bought a lottery ticket ($42 million) and put it up on Facebook and told people if they like my business' page, they'll get a share of the winnings. Up to now the picture has 114 ''Shares'', 68 Likes and my business page has 41 likes.

*facepalm*
More money for you/fewer to share with. That's a good thing. Except for the fact that everyone completely misunderstood what you were hoping to achieve with this. Good thing is, those people are so stupid, they don't deserve the money, so I guess that's ok?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

my eyes are so bloodshot.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:23 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

This is getting very ugly, very quickly:

Quote:
@RichardEngel
So many drones over #Gaza city it sounds like everyone is out mowing their lawns in the dark
Quote:
@BreakingNews
Israel says it targeted 85 sites overnight in Gaza, including Hamas headquarters
Quote:
‏@AlArabiya_Eng
#BreakingNews: Israeli air raid targets the house of Hamas official Ibrahim Salah in Gaza: Al Arabiya correspondent
Quote:
@Mondoweiss

75,000 Israeli reservists are being drafted.
Quote:
Report: Rockets Fired from Egypt Hit Israel
Egypt bolded for emphasis. I'd say all out war is a definite possibility if this doesnt improve soon.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
This is getting very ugly, very quickly:

Egypt bolded for emphasis. I'd say all out war is a definite possibility if this doesnt improve soon.
It physically pains me to say this, as a complete lack of coverage is happening here in the US, but no politics here.

Ugh. I absolutely abhorred typing that... but I'm sorry.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:39 PM
VaxjoDevil

There is no open hockey anywhere on Friday nights, that sucks so bad. Well, could go to Philly but that is a long drive.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:48 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
It physically pains me to say this, as a complete lack of coverage is happening here in the US, but no politics here.
Well it's really not politics, just factually accounts of something very serious happening right now (literally "right now" in fact*). It's getting kindof scary.

*There was a CNN reporter a little while ago reporting when an explosion went off on live TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
There is no open hockey anywhere on Friday nights, that sucks so bad. Well, could go to Philly but that is a long drive.
What about Allentown? It was a long time ago, but when I was in high school (and there were practically no rinks in all of New Jersey) we used to go there on Friday nights if nothing else was going on.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:58 PM
VaxjoDevil

I have to say that I agree, although it's a topic that can go into a political direction, that is more of a world event. In any case, Haaretz online is probably the best source.

Quote:
What about Allentown? It was a long time ago, but when I was in high school (and there were practically no rinks in all of New Jersey) we used to go there on Friday nights if nothing else was going on.
Do you know the name of the rink? I tried to google but couldn't find anything.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
we bail out banks, but not twinkies. theres something very wrong with this country
And here we all thought that Twinkies could survive a nuclear war. But apparently not a recession and strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i'm going to pass on this juicy one as well. cowbell, if theres a HF Heaven, i'd better get my wings
Probably a good thing I wasn't here all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
This will never get old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
I say let them go at it and whoever comes on tops wins. I am tired of having to get involved with that place. The whole world should just ignore them because all they want is our attention again. Just take out the innocent people and let them have at it.
Ya, that's not a good idea. The whole region is unstable, many foreign powers are entangled there (including us, China, and Russia) and many of the countries in the Middle East have access to nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons, or soon will. "Letting them go at it" would be a quick way to start another World War.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

I wanna kiss you all ova

Old
11-16-2012, 11:18 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Ya, that's not a good idea. The whole region is unstable, many foreign powers are entangled there (including us, China, and Russia) and many of the countries in the Middle East have access to nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons, or soon will. "Letting them go at it" would be a quick way to start another World War.
Plus we are at fault for a certain portion of the instability. We can't just let it go now.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:22 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
And here we all thought that Twinkies could survive a nuclear war. But apparently not a recession and strike.
$2 Billion (yes, really, billion, like with a "B" ) in unfunded pension liabilities will have that effect.

Quote:
Worst. Idea. Ever. At least lets wait a few more years until hydrofracking has us not giving a ratz azz about their resources at least.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:23 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I wanna kiss you all ova
Hey don't you want breakfast?

Old
11-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Plus we are at fault for a certain portion of the instability. We can't just let it go now.
Furthermore, the region is somewhat notorious for producing ferocious insurgencies against conquering powers. The side that lost BR's proposed "showdown" would not meekly disappear without constant rebellions, unless we're advocating genocide now to avoid that.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:33 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
The side that lost BR's proposed "showdown" would not meekly disappear without constant rebellions, unless we're advocating genocide now to avoid that.
I dont know about that.

Prior history has had losing parties in that region licking their wounds, taking a few years, then resuming occasional sniping and missile attacks (aka status quo), not sure why anything would change.

One thing I am sure of, fill up your gas tanks tomorrow, because the price at the pump is going to increase Sunday morning.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
til the night glows eaaaasy

Old
11-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
I dont know about that.

Prior history has had losing parties in that region licking their wounds, taking a few years, then resuming occasional sniping and missile attacks (aka status quo), not sure why anything would change.

One thing I am sure of, fill up your gas tanks tomorrow, because the price at the pump is going to increase Sunday morning.
The histories of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Israel definitely suggest that a prolonged insurgency would be the likely result of a war in the region, especially if the aforementioned entangled foreign powers use it as a proxy war.

The US armed forces experienced the Iraqi insurgency against occupation firsthand, and still there is sectarian violence there even after US troops have been withdrawn.

Afghanistan has withstood invasions by the Persians, the British, the Soviets, and now the US. The country cannot be held against insurgency without unacceptable losses resulting.

And in Israel, it seems like they're having another Intifada every couple years, and that's the result of a war and territorial changes that happened in 1967.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:58 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Do you know the name of the rink? I tried to google but couldn't find anything.
Good news and bad news.

Good news: Yes; I remember the name of the rink, it was "The Ice Palace"

Bad news:

Quote:
The Palace Banquet and Conference Center is located in what was for many years The Ice Palace Skating Arena. Those who visited the Ice Palace will remember the fun they experienced at this venue which was a part of the Community for over 70 years. The Palace Center takes great pride and pleasure in preserving the name of this memorable landmark and creating new experiences where family, friends, and fun come together.
And fun times it was! Until you killed it and turned it into a banquet hall apparently.

EDIT: Though apparently there's this newer place in Bethlehem that has open hockey irregularly on Friday and Saturday nights

http://www.steelicecenter.com/

Quote:
The US armed forces experienced the Iraqi insurgency against occupation firsthand, and still there is sectarian violence there even after US troops have been withdrawn.

Afghanistan has withstood invasions by the Persians, the British, the Soviets, and now the US. The country cannot be held against insurgency without unacceptable losses resulting.
Yes, but that's what's different there. Any war would not result in an occupation of a massive landmass, because these nations "live" here. It would be the "kick your azz and go home" sort of a war.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Scott04

Quote:
What?!?! Friends listen to Endless Love in the dark...

Old
11-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I wanna kiss you all ova
Please, no.

Closed Thread