HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 183: Havent You Ever Seen

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 02:33 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

vCash: 500
My Dad left Hostess a few months ago after 20+ years of service. Glad he saw what was coming. I'll never forget when we were really young and he took us to his depot. They had racks and racks of one day out of code product that they basically let us go to town on.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:36 AM
EliasFTW

Car breakdowns suck. Even worse when its the DD's car and you dragged them out of bed.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:37 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
My Dad left Hostess a few months ago after 20+ years of service. Glad he saw what was coming.
Nice to see he was one of the ones that said, screw you. Hopefully his pension will be okay, but this is one area that is very mysterious, especially given it should (soon) be publicly available information.

I have some concern relating to unpaid, unfunded, future liabilities that the US government is on the hook for, mainly because it all seems like a black box to me. We've always been told everything will be "okay", and that the government will back these up, but these are not normal times, and.....well...screw the long boring details, but long story short, this is one of those things that I spend time thinking about while I try to game the future.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:57 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

The internet never ceases to amaze me.

This is what numerous UAV simultaneously flying above a relatively small area sounds like.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1064177-audio-gaza-right-now

Old
11-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

I hate the MTA.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Yes, but that's what's different there. Any war would not result in an occupation of a massive landmass, because these nations "live" here. It would be the "kick your azz and go home" sort of a war.
We rarely get in those sorts of wars anymore. You can't just invade a country and not get stuck occupying it. This is not Grenada. And even if you say it's not our war, make no mistake, we would get entangled in a war for the Holy Land.

In this scenario, where the US leaves everyone to their own devices, Israel gets ****ed over immediately. Many of its neighbours have policies about wiping Israel off the map, and the Palestinians want a state, so there certainly would be an occupation and accordingly also a Jewish insurgency. And if Israel wins, they have shown in the past that they don't mind annexing and occupying territory that they conquer in war: Gaza, West Bank, Golan Heights.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Please, no.
please yes

Old
11-17-2012, 11:43 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
I hate the MTA.
Get in line.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Get in line.
That's probably why he hates the MTA in the first place...

Old
11-17-2012, 12:30 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Well fine you keep paying attention to them because I really don't care what they do to each other anymore. Even my mom that comes from the region doesn't care anymore and is like let them just blow each other up. If nothing has been solved by now its going to end up a full out war anyway so my ideal not so bad. Its coming only a matter of time but I say in next 3-5 years if not now.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
VaxjoDevil

I don't know about MTA, never really use it. But I think, except for prices that are too high, the NJT is doing a pretty good job.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:07 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
Well fine you keep paying attention to them because I really don't care what they do to each other anymore. Even my mom that comes from the region doesn't care anymore and is like let them just blow each other up. If nothing has been solved by now its going to end up a full out war anyway so my ideal not so bad. Its coming only a matter of time but I say in next 3-5 years if not now.
It's not that simple. Especially when one is a nuclear armed nation, and another likely antagonist is a very soon-to-be nuclear armed nation (if they arent already). Cant just ignore it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I don't know about MTA, never really use it. But I think, except for prices that are too high, the NJT is doing a pretty good job.
Ugh.... yuck. No. I only have to take NJTRANSIT a few times per month, and 1/2 the time I do it makes my moronically high rent seem a bit less moronically high, so at least it's therapeutic (high hat crash). Seriously though, for the low sample size I represent, it's late all the time. When I was a Devils STH I only had to get from Manhattan to Newark.... that's ONE stop... and even then an 18-19 minute trip would often take 32-35 minutes. There was a ~8 month chunk of time a few years ago (dunno if it still happens) when they'd have these "signal problems" and you'd just sit on the track. A few times it took me >45 minutes to get from NY Penn to Newark = RAGE. Then there's the times when Id take it from Lebanon where teh gf lives back to the city in the morning and it's rarely on-time into Newark for me to make the intended connection = late for work. And, as you mentioned, it's pretty expensive. [/end angry NJTRANSIT rant]

Old
11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

My issue with the MTA changes a lot but last night was the construction on the 7 line that wouldn't let me go to Court Sq. to let me connect to a G train. Could of taken a shuttle bus but I didn't feel like waiting outside for who knows how long. I waited for the N train for 25 minutes before and was frozen.

So I ended up doing N, L and G.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:11 PM
VaxjoDevil

I don't know, I take it only occasionally, like perhaps two to three times a month and I honestly can't remember a single time it was not on time.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:21 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
My issue with the MTA changes a lot but last night was the construction on the 7 line that wouldn't let me go to Court Sq. to let me connect to a G train. Could of taken a shuttle bus but I didn't feel like waiting outside for who knows how long. I waited for the N train for 25 minutes before and was frozen.

The G train? That's like NYC's "ghost train" that doesn't exist. Seriously, I never here people talk about that line.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:26 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Another cool live TV news moment like the one I mentioned seeing on CNN last night.

Guy on Fox News is doing a "what is the Iron Dome and how does is work" kind of a segment, when all of a sudden the thing started twitching and locked on a target and fired. They cameraman panned up and showed it intercepting and exploding an inbound missile over Israel. Amazing technology.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
The G train? That's like NYC's "ghost train" that doesn't exist. Seriously, I never here people talk about that line.
Well it exists. ********* subway in NYC. I had to get to the Nostrand/Bedford Ave station.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

I still have no train service down here...for the 20 bucks I pay for round-trip, its worth not having to waste gas and park.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Well it exists. ********* subway in NYC.
Youtube or it didnt happen! But seriously, for many residents (myself included) it's the only NYC line they've never been on. I've never even seen a train with a "G" placard. It's like an episode of unsolved mysteries.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Youtube or it didnt happen! But seriously, for many residents (myself included) it's the only NYC line they've never been on. I've never even seen a train with a "G" placard. It's like an episode of unsolved mysteries.

According to the subway map, it really only runs in Brooklyn and has its own dedicated track for half it's length.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:57 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Was just on Celtic Football's website and saw something I've never seen before.

Homepage said, "A game has recently finished, do you want to know the score? YES.......NO"

To direct to 2 versions of the page where one would prevent the spoiler and the other wouldnt.

Granted it seems a bit of a marketing thing since the "no" version is to pay to watch an online replay, but it's a brilliant concept.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Scott04

Quote:
It's not that simple. Especially when one is a nuclear armed nation, and another likely antagonist is a very soon-to-be nuclear armed nation (if they arent already). Cant just ignore it completely.

Ugh.... yuck. No. I only have to take NJTRANSIT a few times per month, and 1/2 the time I do it makes my moronically high rent seem a bit less moronically high, so at least it's therapeutic (high hat crash). Seriously though, for the low sample size I represent, it's late all the time. When I was a Devils STH I only had to get from Manhattan to Newark.... that's ONE stop... and even then an 18-19 minute trip would often take 32-35 minutes. There was a ~8 month chunk of time a few years ago (dunno if it still happens) when they'd have these "signal problems" and you'd just sit on the track. A few times it took me >45 minutes to get from NY Penn to Newark = RAGE. Then there's the times when Id take it from Lebanon where teh gf lives back to the city in the morning and it's rarely on-time into Newark for me to make the intended connection = late for work. And, as you mentioned, it's pretty expensive. [/end angry NJTRANSIT rant]
Sounds like you've just had some really bad luck with NJ Transit. I've had a few periods over the last 2-3 years where I was on NJ Transit Monday through Friday and then some. This was while I had internships, so we're talking 4-5 month blocks here. The Montclair line was a little iffy at times with being on time, but the issue there was more often the amount of time all of the local stops (after passing through Secaucus and Newark) took. My train was supposed to get in around 6:40 most of the time, as Montclair State was the last stop on that line, and it would usually be closer to 6:45/6:50. Only was an issue because I would run to a 7 PM class... on the days I chose to attend that is. Getting out of NY wasn't bad and it was leaving within 1-2 minutes of the posted time the majority of the time. The other main block was on the Morris-Essex line. That one ALWAYS left NYC at the posted time and ran like clock work for all of its stops. If anything, sometimes you would get to your stop a few minutes early. Would often take trains to Newark Penn during either of these times, and that was usually on any of the lines that run through there and not a regular train/line every time, although it was mostly for Devils games. That was usually as consistent, if not more so, than my train home. 15-18 minutes every time.

Of course I ran into a few days with switching problems or something that delayed things. Those were usually outbound though. Only recall once having to transfer at Hoboken to the PATH because NJ Transit had a problem between Secaucus and the city. I've definitely noticed the reliability improves a bit with some lines (as I'm sure the Montclair line is the lowest priority line in their entire system), but problems are usually few and far between in my experience.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Czech Trio

I see a huge headache if Israel invades Gaza. All paths lead to conflict with Iran.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:01 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
I see a huge headache if Israel invades Gaza. All paths lead to conflict with Iran.
Should just drop a nuke on Iran already...**** them.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
Everything that happens has global impact these days. Isolationism is no longer a viable policy. Like it or not, we have to be involved in the trouble spots of the world or else those situations will develop in ways we cannot control, and eventually come back to burn us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Should just drop a nuke on Iran already...**** them.
It's not that simple. That course of action would cause every ally to distance themselves from us (if not turn on us), it would almost certainly start a nuclear war that would wipe out the whole Middle East, and irradiate a large part of Asia, affecting billions. Apocalypse Now, essentially, and for no reason. Just because we don't like the government of Iran, we cannot condemn many of their innocent citizens to horrible deaths.

We'd better hope that the ones dropped on Japan are the last we ever see used. Now that we know their destructive power, the only reason I can think of to justify using them is an alien invasion.

Closed Thread