HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I will be very surprised if anything new comes from the PA tomorrow.
I would be as well, but as Elliot Friedman suggested, tomorrow's "proposal" from the players will tell us alot about where they are and what's going to become of this lockout. Fingers crossed for something positive.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Montador had some pretty disparaging tweets. I highly doubt that the PA will be putting anything solid forth.
What's his twitter? I can't seem to find it.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I would be as well, but as Elliot Friedman suggested, tomorrow's "proposal" from the players will tell us alot about where they are and what's going to become of this lockout. Fingers crossed for something positive.
I agree with the first part of your post but as for the later part I'm at the point where I don't really care. I'm not gonna sit and have hope everytime they come together to talk and hope this is the time, this whole thing has really become a gongshow.

Hell even Hall has become annoying on Twitter from his "we just want what's fair tweets" to last night when he replied to Nielson's tweet about the players *****ing but not actually having tabeled a full offer by saying the PA tbeled 3 offeres on one day. Then Nielson asks him back if they were full offeres or just outlines and then of course it's just silence from Hall's side.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I agree with the first part of your post but as for the later part I'm at the point where I don't really care. I'm not gonna sit and have hope everytime they come together to talk and hope this is the time, this whole thing has really become a gongshow.

Hell even Hall has become annoying on Twitter from his "we just want what's fair tweets" to last night when he replied to Nielson's tweet about the players *****ing but not actually having tabeled a full offer by saying the PA tbeled 3 offeres on one day. Then Nielson asks him back if they were full offeres or just outlines and then of course it's just silence from Hall's side.
If you haven't read Friedman's blog today, I highly recommend it, covers that point exactly, ie how the players have been negotiating.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
BlueChip01

Anybody see that STAR article about what has already been agreed to? It said start of UFA period 2 days after the cup...

Cap space can also be traded..

Old
11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Anybody see that STAR article about what has already been agreed to? It said start of UFA period 2 days after the cup...

Cap space can also be traded..
Not sure if I like FA starting so soon after the cup final. I'd prefer a system like the NBA, where starting June 25 there is a negotiating and courting period, and then on June 30th you can officially sign contracts.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

So Free Agency would start before the draft?

Not sure how I feel about that.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Yeah....because players agents are telling them they might get their feelings hurt on twitter.
It's a matter of respect. Just my opinion.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:36 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
My problem is that I don't see where the owners are condeding anything. From my point of view, the whole thing is just a matter of how badly the players are going to get ****ed by the owners. Will it be super badly? (04-05 lockout) or will it just be a moderate, slow, loving **** that you see in bedrooms of loving couples?

Old
11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Angry Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Not sure if I like FA starting so soon after the cup final. I'd prefer a system like the NBA, where starting June 25 there is a negotiating and courting period, and then on June 30th you can officially sign contracts.
This change might be very tough on our GM, who has seemed to operate to a strict formula during his tenure.
He does a little bit around trade deadline time in February, is busy in June with the draft, then is busy for a week or so in early July looking at FA's. The rest of the year he tends to put the cue in the rack.

Having to concentrate on the draft and FA's simultaneously might be tough for him, though it will free up his July's I imagine

Old
11-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Boys View Post
This change might be very tough on our GM, who has seemed to operate to a strict formula during his tenure.
He does a little bit around trade deadline time in February, is busy in June with the draft, then is busy for a week or so in early July looking at FA's. The rest of the year he tends to put the cue in the rack.

Having to concentrate on the draft and FA's simultaneously might be tough for him, though it will free up his July's I imagine
Yep the old boys club will be water skiing worry free all July.

So that would mean tamby would be there just to drive the boat.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Boys View Post

Having to concentrate on the draft and FA's simultaneously might be tough for him
, though it will free up his July's I imagine
His fridge will be full of yellow sticky notes.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
What's his twitter? I can't seem to find it.
My bad, it wasn't his twitter it was somebody quoting him via their twitter. I saw the quoted tweets on the main boards lockout thread.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Bah, its the same here, or anywhere on the internet.

But heres the deal. One person is just an anonymous poster. The other might actually be a public highly paid figure and who is paid to be that positive figure to the community as well as a hockey player on the ice and who supposedly understands that one of the aspects of his handsome pay is to represent his org, logo, team, in the best possible light.

If this IS Whitney he can't be gone from our lineup fast enough imho.

If I was a sth I'd be tempted to make a sign that said. "Whitney **** you you idiot" (well I wouldn't really, but I might want to, but I think of the kids..)
You insult someone you should expect an insult back or be told to fo. Don't whine ( unless he hurt your feelings then you cry like you have )

I think players are paid to play hockey. Not a pilar of the community unless they want to be. Not elected but paid to play. Owners dont care unless it costs em money. Bigger crowds for nasty players.
Bad mouth Semenko and see what happens. Paid to be positive. What bunk.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
You insult someone you should expect an insult back or be told to fo. Don't whine ( unless he hurt your feelings then you cry like you have )

I think players are paid to play hockey. Not a pilar of the community unless they want to be. Not elected but paid to play. Owners dont care unless it costs em money. Bigger crowds for nasty players.
Bad mouth Semenko and see what happens. Paid to be positive. What bunk.
Paid handsomely to represent the team, and the logo, in the best possible light. Also paid to do things like autograph signings, promotions, community efforts. If you're on pro team these days these ARE expectations of your employment. Not sure where you been hiding out for decades.

Its absolutely asinine that Whitney would insult a fan in a public fashion like that. You damn well believe that if this was any other time than a lockout Whitney would be getting a tongue lashing or worse about this. As it is the team CANNOT contact him right now.

Paid like a professional, act like a professional. Damn straight it comes with the territory and IS an expectation.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-20-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Paul Kelly had some really interesting things to say today.

Quote:
Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw
Paul Kelly on how talks handled: "I'm a big believer fight hard...for your client but at all times try and keep a level of civility"
Quote:
Paul Kelly: "need to be working hand in glove to be really successful and that's really hard to do when animosity has bcome part of process"
https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw

This guy was absolutely black-balled by the players association.

There are more comments on Eric Macramalla's Twitter feed.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Eytinge

Didn't the players think Paul Kelly was too buddy buddy with Bettman and the owners? That's why they canned his ass I thought.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
The NBA's system is a circus.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
The NBA's system is a circus.
How so? Because all the stars join up with each other? The NHL has a hard cap to prevent that.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:29 PM
BlueChip01

This is from a TSN article from 2009.

Entering the meetings Kelly's demise was highly speculated based on the belief a number of players and watchdog PA staff had grown weary with his direction, sources claiming Kelly didn't do a good enough job getting to know the players.

It was also suggested Kelly's relationship with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly was perceived by some as being too close.

Another source inside yesterday's meeting described it as a "crucifixion."
http://nesn.com/2009/08/kelly-firing...l-never-learn/

But this group decided to tarnish Kelly’s image with the players by pointing to what they believe was too cozy a relationship between Kelly and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly. Hargrove, Penny and Pink also claim that Kelly never made enough effort to get to know the players and members of the union.

According to sources, part of this group’s desire to get rid of Kelly also stemmed from Kelly ordering an internal audit (by a top former FBI forensic accountant) of the players' association's expenses during the previous three years before he took over. That audit was still ongoing prior to Kelly’s dismissal. Sources claim that through the audit, Kelly discovered that then-interim leaders Penny and Lindros were spending millions of dollars of the union’s money. Lindros ended up resigning, but word is, that move fueled this attack on Kelly, and Lindros was very much involved.

“This was just a scheduled meeting to update the players on certain issues and just simple stuff to discuss,” said the source. “Now they come in and probably some of them are not as connected as others, and they could be duped into voting out probably the best leader they’ve ever had.”

Old
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
BlueChip01

Lindros is a snake. A guy like him is bad for the NHLPA.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
How so? Because all the stars join up with each other? The NHL has a hard cap to prevent that.
That's exactly why the NBA is a circus. Superstars plotting to join a big market team like the lakers to form a super team while teams like Milwaukee and Indiana get the shaft.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I can see it now, scribbled on a stained napkin.

Quote:
Dear Gary Buttman,

Give us same money as before + raise. U make 4b and we call 50/50. Share revenue. Keep contracts as is.

kthxbye

Old
11-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
This is from a TSN article from 2009.

Entering the meetings Kelly's demise was highly speculated based on the belief a number of players and watchdog PA staff had grown weary with his direction, sources claiming Kelly didn't do a good enough job getting to know the players.

It was also suggested Kelly's relationship with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly was perceived by some as being too close.

Another source inside yesterday's meeting described it as a "crucifixion."
http://nesn.com/2009/08/kelly-firing...l-never-learn/

But this group decided to tarnish Kelly’s image with the players by pointing to what they believe was too cozy a relationship between Kelly and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly. Hargrove, Penny and Pink also claim that Kelly never made enough effort to get to know the players and members of the union.

According to sources, part of this group’s desire to get rid of Kelly also stemmed from Kelly ordering an internal audit (by a top former FBI forensic accountant) of the players' association's expenses during the previous three years before he took over. That audit was still ongoing prior to Kelly’s dismissal. Sources claim that through the audit, Kelly discovered that then-interim leaders Penny and Lindros were spending millions of dollars of the union’s money. Lindros ended up resigning, but word is, that move fueled this attack on Kelly, and Lindros was very much involved.

“This was just a scheduled meeting to update the players on certain issues and just simple stuff to discuss,” said the source. “Now they come in and probably some of them are not as connected as others, and they could be duped into voting out probably the best leader they’ve ever had.”
What on earth was Lindros, using all that union money, spending on? Drugs? Strippers?

Old
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
It's just a media ****-storm. A full week of rumor mongering and anticipation, and it favors a few select teams.

The week of negotiation doesn't really address some of the issues the PA has with July 1 free agency. It's one of the few issues the PA has that I agree with.

Closed Thread