HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
That's exactly why the NBA is a circus. Superstars plotting to join a big market team like the lakers to form a super team while teams like Milwaukee and Indiana get the shaft.
But the NHL has a hard cap and a less convoluted cba than the NBA. No need to worry about superteams in the NHL.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's just a media ****-storm. A full week of rumor mongering and anticipation, and it favors a few select teams.

The week of negotiation doesn't really address some of the issues the PA has with July 1 free agency. It's one of the few issues the PA has that I agree with.
I think it would save GMs from themselves. No panicking and offering bad deals just to match what another GM offered 5 minutes ago.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
But the NHL has a hard cap and a less convoluted cba than the NBA. No need to worry about superteams in the NHL.
Do you realize that a super team is being built right under your nose!

Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, ....maybe MacKinnon

Old
11-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Do you realize that a super team is being built right under your nose!

Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, ....maybe MacKinnon

Haha, I guess I meant superteams assembled via free agency.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
AM

I have the same hope as when this lockout started.

I hope that the players are locked out until the NHL assure their teams of an acceptable business model.

So I think there is a slim hope to get this season in.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:29 AM
#ualberta

Here's where were at

Meeting tomorrow in nyc at 10 am ET 8 am MT
Lots of players expected to show up
Pa' to share the proposal they put together over the last couple days with the owners
Imo if the players offer tomorrow continues to demand $1.883 billion and not a dollar less, it'll be a short meeting
But if the players move on the core economics then the owners will likely move on contract issues and we may finally have some traction

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst

Old
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
The NHLPA sent a letter to the Canadian parliament and, of course, CC'd TSN on it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409973

I came into this understanding that it was a necessary fight for both the owners and the PA, and really did try not to take it personally, but **** the PA. **** them so hard. Every move they've made since categorically dismissing the owners offer in early October has been fueled by a level of propaganda that insults the intelligence of the fans while asking us to "share in their pain". They're not only completely full of crap, they've convinced themselves that they're on some kind of martyr tear on our behalf.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Joe Hallenback

The NHL is the only sport in the world were the Owners don't want to honor pre existing contracts.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:14 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
The NHL is the only sport in the world were the Owners don't want to honor pre existing contracts.
The NBA was asking for rollbacks less than a year ago. Where were you?

The NFL didn't need to ask for that. They can cut players at will. NHLPA has guaranteed deals, which is something NFL players would KILL for, even if it meant taking a hit once or twice.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:18 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Oh? Didn't the league offer to pay those contracts, albeit deferred but with interest out of their share of the revenue?

Old
11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Oh? Didn't the league offer to pay those contracts, albeit deferred but with interest out of their share of the revenue?
Nope they did not

Old
11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
The NBA was asking for rollbacks less than a year ago. Where were you?

The NFL didn't need to ask for that. They can cut players at will. NHLPA has guaranteed deals, which is something NFL players would KILL for, even if it meant taking a hit once or twice.
The NBA honored the signed contracts. That is the reason the lockout ended.

The NFL offers massive signing bonuses instead of guaranteed contracts. It is an either/or situation. If you are a star player would you rather wait for 7 years to get money or would you rather get a huge bonus plus your contract. I know which one I want

Old
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Nope they did not
Yup, they did. Likely not the full extent of the contracts value, but the PA has been free to counter offer that and until 2 minutes from now, have not done so.

Quote:
The NBA honored the signed contracts. That is the reason the lockout ended.

The NFL offers massive signing bonuses instead of guaranteed contracts. It is an either/or situation. If you are a star player would you rather wait for 7 years to get money or would you rather get a huge bonus plus your contract. I know which one I want
1) The NBA didn't 'honor all signed agreements'. Escrow increased and there was amnesty opt-outs. And it's a soft cap. Regardless, you said the NHL is the only league that doesn't want to "honor all pre-existing contracts", which is factually inaccurate.

2) Signing bonuses and guaranteed contracts are not mutually exclusives. In the NHL, signing bonuses are advances on salary (in essence) and count against the cap, but exist in spite of guaranteed deals. The NFLPA would take guaranteed contracts and allow the market to create signing bonuses, as a means of attraction, every single time. Careers are too short for them not to take guaranteed money.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
We're hearing today's NHLPA proposal to NHL will include increasing the NHL's $211M Make Whole provision by another $180M.
That's a fair counterproposal. NHL won't accept it, but haggling to a middling figure is easier than disagreeing with how to work the numbers entirely.

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
We're also hearing the NHLPA proposal will work off a percentage of HRR -- as requested by NHL -- and not a guaranteed dollar amount.
Good. Now stay on that train of thought, because you won't play again demanding a guaranteed share (let alone a guaranteed 5% increase year-over-year)

Old
11-21-2012, 10:41 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Nope they did not
Bob Mackenzie says otherwise. Check out his blog from Nov 11.

He does say "as close as possible" to making the contracts whole, maybe that's what your hung up on?

Old
11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:

He does say "as close as possible" to making the contracts whole, maybe that's what your hung up on?
I think it was also hung up on the players "needing" to represent their "share" as a whole concrete number as opposed to a percentage, that's changed today apparently.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

PA proposal is about 390M in make whole from the league. Sidney Crosby is saying that's "not even close" to what they want from make whole, but tabled it as a "move in the NHL's direction".

How the hell is that "just wanting our contracts honored". That's asking for a raise.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:21 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
NFL says a big HELLO!

Quote:
Either way you cut it, owners can get out of contracts anytime they want in the NFL. The NFL doesn't honor contracts. Did you see the signing bonus Weber just got? What about Erhoff the year before? Signing bonuses are going to become even larger in the NHL unless the NHL corrects this.

Quote:

This is a lot closer than the NFL has offered its players. Sure the guys coming off huge years get signing bonuses, but what about the guys that don't, or get injuried? The stars in the NFL make out well. A lot of the rest don't.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Meh. NHLPA keeps wrapping the same gift in different paper. Screw them.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
PA proposal is about 390M in make whole from the league. Sidney Crosby is saying that's "not even close" to what they want from make whole, but tabled it as a "move in the NHL's direction".

How the hell is that "just wanting our contracts honored". That's asking for a raise.
How is it asking for a raise? They are asking for their contracts to be honored rather than rolled back. In effect, they are saying even with the $390M make whole, their contacts still may not be fully honored if revenues don't continue to grow.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

That's a fair counterproposal. NHL won't accept it, but haggling to a middling figure is easier than disagreeing with how to work the numbers entirely.

Good. Now stay on that train of thought, because you won't play again demanding a guaranteed share (let alone a guaranteed 5% increase year-over-year)
I'm a bit confused when it comes to the players moving off of a guaranteed share. Is this how the old system was? Or did they just start demanding this during these negotiations?

Old
11-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
How is it asking for a raise? They are asking for their contracts to be honored rather than rolled back. In effect, they are saying even with the $390M make whole, their contacts still may not be fully honored if revenues don't continue to grow.
With the way their agreement worked last year was that not always a concern if revenues took a dip?

I also hope that the players are talking about making the pro-rated amount of their contracts for say a 50-game season instead of talking about making the full amount over a 50-game season.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Holly **** both sides are getting back together today, they aren't just gonna meet for 90 minutes in one day. Not bad. PA finally scored some points in my book.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:46 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Holly **** both sides are getting back together today, they aren't just gonna meet for 90 minutes in one day. Not bad. PA finally scored some points in my book.
They're meeting twice because the NHL needs a couple hours to review the proposal and prepare a response.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
They're meeting twice because the NHL needs a couple hours to review the proposal and prepare a response.
I assumed as much, but my comment was more sarcasm than not.

Closed Thread