HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
The business board has an article by thestar on somethings the NHL has agreed upon. Pretty decent read. My phone wont let me copy the link for some reason.

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 11-21-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old
11-21-2012, 11:09 AM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
So it sounds like the PA has actually agreed to talk about the same things as the NHL, and didn't propose going away from a cap or salaries based on a % of revenue. I guess that is progress. Just how much though, I'm not sure. Bettman's response should give a good indication. I still have a hard time believing they will play this year though.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:16 AM
#ualberta

Fehr: there's $180 million separating the sides

That's not tht much
The pa moved away from te dollar demand and will work off a percent
They essential moved closer to each other
League response expected at 11 MT when sides meet again so far so good

Old
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

At this point, it's not even the money anymore. Now that both sides are haggling from the same perspective, they'll find some middle ground (hopefully sooner rather than later). Probably somewhere between the ~210M that the NHL offered and the ~390M that the players asked for.

Did the NHLPA's proposal have contract limitations (length, ELC, UFA eligibility)? That's the question. If the PA proposal involved no change, and the NHL is unwilling to come off their severe stance, that could be a bigger long term fight.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
At this point, it's not even the money anymore. Now that both sides are haggling from the same perspective, they'll find some middle ground (hopefully sooner rather than later). Probably somewhere between the ~210M that the NHL offered and the ~390M that the players asked for.

Did the NHLPA's proposal have contract limitations (length, ELC, UFA eligibility)? That's the question. If the PA proposal involved no change, and the NHL is unwilling to come off their severe stance, that could be a bigger long term fight.
@reporterchris: I'm told the NHLPA's proposal included player contract rights.

Yes according to Chris Johnston the proposal also covers contract issues at this point we don't know what exactly the pa asked for

Old
11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Haven't read much, but what were the 13 or 17 things the NHL agreed to that were proposed by the PA? Only thing I heard was the free agency period being moved up, which led me to believe the draft would be after the free agency period?

Old
11-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

@aaronward_nhl
NHLPA proposal took NHL structure, 50/50 in year 1; Only difference,took $211M (make whole) to $393M over 4 yrs

@Real_ESPNLebrun
So the difference in both Make Whole offers is the $182 M that Fehr cited

Don't know what to make of it, but it seems the PA has moved considerably towards the NHL. I hope the NHL can at least compromise instead of being jerks and keep asking.

Get this deal signed and sealed already. It's US Thanksgiving! Be in a giving mood for heaven's sake!

Old
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

@TSNBobMcKenzie

But the NHLPA offer, arguably for the first time, puts the two sides in what I would call the same universe. And that's a major step forward

This may not mean much, but coming from Bob McKenzie, this should at least put some positive feeling inside.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Matador

Why wasn't this offer on the table when there existed the possibility of an 82 game season? 50/50 was inevitable. It shouldn't have taken the NHLPA months to figure that out. Congrats. In the end you lost a bunch of salary only to come back to the proposal that was made over a month ago.

A 5 year CBA is laughable.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:28 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Why wasn't this offer on the table when there existed the possibility of an 82 game season? 50/50 was inevitable. It shouldn't have taken the NHLPA months to figure that out. Congrats. In the end you lost a bunch of salary only to come back to the proposal that was made over a month ago.

This offer should of been made in the summer...

Old
11-21-2012, 12:31 PM
jadeddog

Call me pessimistic if you want, but I don't buy the NHLPA's numbers until somebody actually confirms them. We're talking about a group of people who said they were giving up a billion dollars just last week, when in reality they were asking for guaranteed raises, lol. It's math that only republicans could actually follow.

That being said, if their numbers do happen to be mostly true, it at least means the two sides are at least speaking the same language. Doesn't mean much, but it would at least be an improvement of sorts.

Last edited by jadeddog: 11-21-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post

Probably because neither side wants to give in too soon.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
@aaronward_nhl
NHLPA proposal took NHL structure, 50/50 in year 1; Only difference,took $211M (make whole) to $393M over 4 yrs

@Real_ESPNLebrun
So the difference in both Make Whole offers is the $182 M that Fehr cited

Don't know what to make of it, but it seems the PA has moved considerably towards the NHL. I hope the NHL can at least compromise instead of being jerks and keep asking.

Get this deal signed and sealed already. It's US Thanksgiving! Be in a giving mood for heaven's sake!
It's comments like this I just don't understand. I think it is generally agreed that it's been the PA that has not been compromising. What's next, calling GB a cancer?

Old
11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
The NHLPA offer is on TSN

Old
11-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Call me pessimistic if you want, but I don't buy the NHLPA's numbers until somebody actually confirms them. We're talking about a group of people who said they were giving up a billion dollars just last week, when in reality they were asking for guaranteed raises, lol. It's math that only republicans could actually follow.

That being said, if their numbers do happen to be mostly true, it at least means the two sides are at least speaking the same language. Doesn't mean much, but it would at least be an improvement of sorts.
Here a link to the offer from Bobby MAc twitter:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409992

About time they have something to work with but as was said earlier in this thread what the hell was the point of wasting this time and even forfeiting an 82-game season when that was still possible a month or so into the lockout.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post

LOL are you serious. So the PA staying at the same stance and not moving from day one means the NHL hasn't done anything? They moved from their original 43% to 50% quite a while ago.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
jsho

Does just a 5 year term slightly concern anyone? I mean its almost like a 4.5 year term and we could potentially be looking at another lockout then. Just the term of 5 years has always seemed to short to me.

The NFL almost had a lockout last year and did a 10 year term. Last NHL term was 7 years and ended up with a lockout. Wouldn't either side want to try and lock in a longer deal so you don't have to deal with this again in just 5 years?

Old
11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
ponokanocker

Only offering 5 years and expiring in September again. What a slap in the face to fans everywhere.

Only partially fixing the loophole for long term deals and players sent to the minors going against the cap.

I guess they are at least talking about the same things now.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:59 PM
jadeddog

So the full agreement was released and it does actually appear to be a pretty big step towards the NHL. I must say that I am surprised. The NHLPA didn't cave on the systematic contract issues, but I don't think anybody was expecting that. I have a sneaking feeling that the NHL isn't willing to kill the season over the contract issues though. The 50/50 is the big win they were after, although the NHLPA did somewhat curtail back diving contracts over 9 years, as well as count players in the minors making over 1 million against the cap (but not against the players share of HRR).

The NHL needs to seriously look at this IMO, as it gives them the biggest thing they were after.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:01 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

There are all kinds of sneaky caveats that need to be worked out.

The bit about the players not being able to lose share if revenue drops? That's one of those stupid little things that removes the guarantee of 50/50. No, if you can share in the profits, you can share in the risk. If you think there's going to be financial backlash, you had a little something to do with this lockout too. Just ask any fan.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:

The bit about the players not being able to lose share if revenue drops? That's one of those stupid little things that removes the guarantee of 50/50. No, if you can share in the profits, you can share in the risk. If you think there's going to be financial backlash, you had a little something to do with this lockout too. Just ask any fan.
Exactly, exactly, exactly.... It would be insulting to me as a fan (or if I where an owner) for the players to ask for an unequal partnership (and being tied to revenue, not profit, is exactly that) and then further it by taking no financial risk.... as you say, ESPECIALLY since their greed has done an (at-the-moment) immeasurable amount of damage to this game/business.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:17 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

Yeah that is a sneaky one for sure. But one would assume they could take that off the table by the NHL dropping their UFA change (or something similar anyhow). Of course there is no way the NHL accepts anything less than true HRR linkage. Smart by the players though, as revenue isn't really that likely to go down, but yet its a "bargaining chip" that they can now use. The NHL will want to get rid of it, but it's likely a non-issue to be honest, inflation alone likely takes care of that.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:25 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Big sticking point right now is that the PA wants a guarantee that, "beginning with the second year of the Agreement, players' share, expressed in dollars may not fall below its value for the prior season."

In this way, the NHL takes the full hit from any fan backlash and leaves them vulnerable if the currency drops. I'm not sure the NHL will be alright with that.

Edit: Oops, forgot to refresh and I see SK13 just covered this. Going to be really interesting to see how the NHL responds.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
The 5 yr agreement is just stupid. Make it a 10 yr agreement and be done with these stupid lockouts for the next decade!!

Old
11-21-2012, 01:31 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

As an aside I totally agree with extending this deal to 10 years or so.

Both sides can frame it as an offering of laurel leaves and a show of good will to thank the fans for their patience. Much better than writing "Thank you fans" on the ice.

Closed Thread