HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

January 6, 1958 Dink Carroll on Lefty Wilson

Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
January 6, 1958 Dink Carroll on Lefty Wilson

Column about Lefty Wilson's exploits as a goalie:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...=6619%2C739045

Some tongue in cheek elements.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Ya, my understanding of Lefty was that he was quite the Card. Loud. From behind the bench yelling at the opposition and as noted in the column by Dink, on the ice. Traffic Cop, highly effective and something that was common amongst the Goaltending fraternity through the 60's & 70's, Roy & several others into the 80's & 90's. If you were hoarse after the game chances are you'd won.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:51 PM
DJ Man

Was Wilson a catches-right goalie, i.e., left hand on the stick? From his nickname you'd guess that. It mean that he'd have to maintain his own goalie gloves, as he'd most likely be relieving a righthander. I know that the teams were pretty cheap about small things in those days, so it's unlikely that every team had an extra set of southpaw-type gloves.

(Don Simmons was a lefty, by the way.)

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Man View Post
Was Wilson a catches-right goalie, i.e., left hand on the stick? From his nickname you'd guess that. It mean that he'd have to maintain his own goalie gloves, as he'd most likely be relieving a righthander. I know that the teams were pretty cheap about small things in those days, so it's unlikely that every team had an extra set of southpaw-type gloves.

(Don Simmons was a lefty, by the way.)
No. Lefty was a Left. Caught with his Left. Played Jr.A, then signed with Omaha as Backup Goalie/Trainer. Figured it was the only way he'd get signed. Played only a few games with them over 1 season including an appearance (I assume as an emergency replacement) with the St. Paul Saints in the old USHL in 45/46. Moved up to the Indianapolis Capitals of the AHL for 3 seasons, again, spot emergency duty & full time Trainer, eventually winding up in Detroit.... Lefty designed & made Terry Sawchuks first mask, a style that caught on, had a real Cottage Industry going with them through the early & late 60's to his last in about 1971. Thin, rather dangerous instruments quite frankly. He'd been usurped first by Ernie Higgins who made a thicker & safer mask, then by Greg Harrison & Plante with his FibroSport models.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote