HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Old
11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
My anger has risen once again today. Although it will be hard and I may fail, I will try my hardest to not give them a single dollar when it comes back. If the league would fold I would be even happier as it would save me the trouble.
Get Gary and Don out of there, and have Steve and Bill get a deal done!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
The NHL and PA treat the fans like a spouse they can cheat on and the spouse always comes back. Well that isn't always the case, someones the jilted spouse has enough goes out and finds someone else to spend their time with.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Ryancoke13

I've started to stop caring about the NHL all together after just watching "That's Hockey" on TSN. The way Bettman and Fehr carry on is ridiculous.

All I've been hearing was the step forward the PA was taking by submitting this new proposal today. Now on "That's Hockey" all I heard was the 2 steps backward this proposal actually caused

I won't care if this lock out extends into the 2013/2014 season. I have had enough.

Both parties are at fault, the NHL and the PA

Ryancoke13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:33 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Agreed, I hope all hockey fans send a message first week back and boycott games. Maybe the owners and players think twice before locking us out.
A week? HA. They won't get a penny of my money for a full year from the time they start playing again.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
A week? HA. They won't get a penny of my money for a full year from the time they start playing again.
Yeah, I have no problem staying at home and watching the game on TV. It will be a long time before I go to a hockey game if we lose a season due to this BS.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:40 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
the sad thing is is that this whole league doesn't know any other way to deal with an expired CBA. this is the one and only path: let's scortch our league untill the other guys starve.

the NHL is absolutely annihilating itself. it might be the saddest and most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

(thinking, thinking)

nope. i can't think of anything, in any form of entertainment, that is stupider than what the NHL/PA is currently engaging in.

i'll still watch on TV, and if they save this season, i might even go to games someday (not anytime soon, tho). but, i don't think I, or we, will ever be able to brag about being NHL fans. they are such a pathetic disgrace, it will be embarrassing to wear NHL merc.

(i wonder if they realize what they look like?)

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:45 AM
NASCL

This young fan still looks to be holding out hope.

http://www.universalhub.com/2012/dea...think-children

NASCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:48 AM
special blend

I could care any less at this point anymore. This whole situation is just so out of touch with us normal people who supply these dollars that they are fighting over.
I haven't worn a single piece of NHL merchandise and I don't even drink my Rye and Coke's out of my Oilers glass anymore

special blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

SMASH Mob

Nashville Predators invite youth team to "pizza party" game at local rink, and import full "Smashville" (Nashville Predators) game experience with PA announcer, national anthem (with color guard), mascot, ice girls, cheerleaders, and hundreds of fans. Even TV/radio play-by-play and reporters to get the players thoughts after the game. Trotz was even behind the bench giving pointers.

Great way to combat waning passion.
This was really cool, very touching. It's funny cause the one they did of these with the older men in the rec league actually was more touching to me than the little kids one, I guess cause I know how it feels to get into hockey at a late age and ending up wishing you had played it your whole life. But still, very cool experience for these kids.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:44 PM
the

They aren't getting any penny from me for 1 whole season and probably more...it would be great if everybody could do this. I always wanted this league and hockey in general to expand across North America but this lockout makes me embarrassed to be a hockey fan.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:47 PM
ThisYearsModel

Someone needs to start another league. Bring back the WHA.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
chickenium

I'm done giving them money too. I used to go to at least a couple of games every season and buy some merchandise. I'm stopping all that.

I've even cancelled my whole cable package (including Sportsnet, RDS and TSN) and bought a 40$ antenna that gives me 20 channels OTA. The only hockey I'll watch is Saturday night on CBC. I'm even thinking of streaming the games so they don't get a ******* dollar in advertising.

I've rediscovered the NFL and it's damn enjoyable. Plus, you get to see Sanchez and the Jets rivaling America's Funniest Videos once in a while

chickenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

The product has gotten worse and worse since the last lockout. You know...The lockout that fixed everything. I have already been losing interest since then and this debacle is just pushing me further away. At this point the only thing that would gain my interest is if the players were to decertify. If the cap was gone and a few teams contracted I might come back. Otherwise....Meh......I couldn't care less if the current version of the NHL folded. Bettman has pissed all over the history and tradition of the league and they can never get it back.

Capsized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:47 AM
GoCanes2013

For those that may go back to games if they start playing again, it would be a strong symbolic message if ALL fans in the arena were SILENT all game long. And bought NO concessions.

I'll at least stay away for as long as the lockout has been. But I'm also in a smaller market, so jumping back in and getting pretty good season tix anytime I want is pretty easy.

GoCanes2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhcbaB notnA View Post
For those that may go back to games if they start playing again, it would be a strong symbolic message if ALL fans in the arena were SILENT all game long. And bought NO concessions.

I'll at least stay away for as long as the lockout has been. But I'm also in a smaller market, so jumping back in and getting pretty good season tix anytime I want is pretty easy.
Whenever the lockout ends, I like to see the fans that attend games throw waffles, monopoly money, NHL merchandise, dollar bills, loonies, toonies, or anything that can garner some media attention.

Heck, if a group of fans can stand up and have their backs turned for an entire period or organized walkouts, that can also be a strong message.

Even showing up with a sign denouncing the greed of both sides can be a message loud and clear.

I just don't wanna see fans come back like nothing happened.

And the NHL better not put "Thank You Fans" on the ice, because I'm going to take that as an insult!

Blue And Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
They aren't getting any penny from me for 1 whole season and probably more...it would be great if everybody could do this. I always wanted this league and hockey in general to expand across North America but this lockout makes me embarrassed to be a hockey fan.

I'm completely with you. I will not spend a single dollar attending a game for 1 whole season. In fact during the first game I think I may show up to the Coliseum (early enough where I don't have to pay for parking) and just sit with a sign that says "Boycotting: Locking myself out since the league doesn't care about me"

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4530--nhl.html

Puck Daddy talks about what the lockout has taken away from fans

Quote:
One of the great things about rocking NHL gear, at least in the States, is that it's a clarion call for other hockey fans to engage you in conversation. Keep in mind that in certain parts of the U.S., there's no guarantee that two hockey fans are occupying the same space at the same time; hence, there's always a danger that you reveal yourself as a hockey fan and the other persona dismisses it with "I like that outdoor game" before changing the conversation to the BCS or Dwight Howard.
So wearing the NJD jersey over the weekend was a bat-signal to other puckheads to strike up conversations, and herein lies the disgust — we have nothing to talk about anymore.
The lockout has stolen a lot from us — money, jobs, distractions — just it's also stolen that connectivity we have as fans. What once were conversations about our teams challenging for the Stanley Cup are now conversations about if there'll be a season. *****ing about the coach is replaced with *****ing about federal mediators. Debating whether or not the team goat is giving 100 percent has been replaced by percentage of hockey related revenue. Lamenting the commissionership of Gary Bettman has been replaced … OK, that one's a constant.
I bumped into a handful of hockey fans over the weekend. One dude at Target was an Islanders fan that had suffered the double body blows of the team leaving Long Island and the lockout depriving him of his team. A Capitals fan as a party couldn't bring himself to talk puck, as he was so despondent over the lockout. Another fan said he was done with the League, not spending another dime on tickets.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Whenever the lockout ends, I like to see the fans that attend games throw waffles, monopoly money, NHL merchandise, dollar bills, loonies, toonies, or anything that can garner some media attention.

Heck, if a group of fans can stand up and have their backs turned for an entire period or organized walkouts, that can also be a strong message.

Even showing up with a sign denouncing the greed of both sides can be a message loud and clear.

I just don't wanna see fans come back like nothing happened.

And the NHL better not put "Thank You Fans" on the ice, because I'm going to take that as an insult!
good ideas. but i would like to see empty buildings for at least the first game back. we should ridicule those who go. it should be made known that it is very uncool to attend the first game. anyone who goes to the first game back, you can count yourself as part of the problem.

DO NOT ATTEND THE FIRST GAME BACK!!!!!

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Xref

You mean purchase tickets, and don't attend? Yeah, that'll show em!

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
DO NOT ATTEND THE FIRST GAME BACK!!!!!
I have a problem with this, unless you're paying the STH folks/reimbursing the cost of their ticket.

Some people like to get value for their (hard earned) $$s spent. You're asking folks to "eat" the cost of their ticket in protest to not attend opening game.

Perhaps wearing tshirt/jersey inside out is a better protest?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Xref

The inside-out shirts thing is a great suggestion! I dig that.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Just a year ago, the NHL and hockey had eclipsed the NFL and football as my favorite sport & league. Now, I honestly don't really care when they come back, or if there is a season.

I wish there was a semi-logical way to watch the CHL online in good quality. Their yearly ticket costs as much as my yearly cable bill

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
CerebralGenesis

Hell, I'd say interest on the boards is diminishing even.

But yes, passion is waning the longer this goes on. People who hate the NHL don't even mock it in front of me anymore, I think it's pity.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Baseball fans taught the MLB and the players a lesson after the 1994 strike that cancelled the world series. No labour dispute since.

When the NHL cancelled 2004-05, fans came back in droves. This cannot happen again. Even if the 2012-13 season is saved, fans unite and send a message to the owners and players that we're not going to take this **** anymore!

Blue And Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opini...404/story.html

Editorial: Oilers no longer the toast of the town

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote