HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

What are the chances the Leafs will honor Mats Sundin for making the Hall of Fame?

Old
11-08-2012, 08:21 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
What are the chances the Leafs will honor Mats Sundin for making the Hall of Fame?

Since tomorrow night was supposed to be the annual Hockey Hall of Fame game the Leafs fans won't get a chance to give a standing ovation to Mats Sundin since he would have been introduced before the game. Now even though he's still being inducted on Monday which is the most important thing to remember, I can't help but thinking should the Leafs still give him the chance to get that ovation from the fans at the Air Canada Centre. I realize they did that for him last season when his jersey was honored, however making the Hall of Fame is a completely different thing. So when the NHL season starts should the Leafs do something to honor him or not?

Last edited by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER: 11-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Cool Beans Man

100%.

Next useless thread please.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Of course they're going to honour him, just as he deserves.

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
100%.

Next useless thread please.
You forgot this post

0%
Traitor

Now we can move on to the next thread

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:43 PM
My Sweet Shadow

I don't think there's any doubt that the Leafs will do something once the season starts (or at the beginning of next season). He was the face of the franchise for well over a decade and one of the best to don the blue and white.

It's a shame that it won't happen on his HOF Night though.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

They obviously will.

When it does, lets just hope it goes better than when they raised his banner

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:18 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
I don't think there's any doubt that the Leafs will do something once the season starts (or at the beginning of next season). He was the face of the franchise for well over a decade and one of the best to don the blue and white.

It's a shame that it won't happen on his HOF Night though.
Don't forget he is their all time leader for goals and points.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:39 AM
stamkos

Yes another thing we will miss due to the lockout, 3 ex Leafs going in. Saturday would have been great, to see them all before the game. Hopefully, we do something for all of them, not just Matts.

stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamkos View Post
Yes another thing we will miss due to the lockout, 3 ex Leafs going in. Saturday would have been great, to see them all before the game. Hopefully, we do something for all of them, not just Matts.
This year Sundin is the only former Maple Leaf going in.

Last year it was Gilmour, Belfour & Nieuwendyk who got inducted and were introduced during the pre-game ceremony.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:22 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
You forgot this post

0%
Traitor

Now we can move on to the next thread
Hahaha....nice one..Every time Sundin is in a thread out comes the vitrol.....poor Mats. I loved him but for the sake of his memory as a great Leaf captain, I wish these threads would stop.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:01 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

it bothers me people in this city can forgive someone so fast. he screwed this franchise..... yes he was good but no cups so who cares amirite?

its like clb honouring rick nash.... which will probably happen.

edit: hasn't he already been honoured? if not yes he will be honoured

Last edited by pooleboy: 11-12-2012 at 09:33 PM.
pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Raptactics29

Seriously?!?!? Is this a serious question? Of course the Leafs will honour him.. wow.

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Of course the Leafs will honour Sundin next year.

Sundin will be playing at the Legends games at the ACC on Sunday, he will get a standing ovation from us.

Dougy will be captain & Clark is on Dougy's team. I can't wait!

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:18 AM
ecotone

Is there anywhere to watch the legends game today? leafstv channel says honouring mats sundin in the guide info so maybe there?

ecotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:47 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
it bothers me people in this city can forgive someone so fast. he screwed this franchise..... yes he was good but no cups so who cares amirite?

It bothers me that there are people who claim to be Leaf fans who are so petty and vindictive -- not too mention that such people also seem to feel that pettiness and vindictiveness is preferred to forgiveness.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotone View Post
Is there anywhere to watch the legends game today? leafstv channel says honouring mats sundin in the guide info so maybe there?
They said at the game that it will air on TSN tomorrow night, so if you didn't get a chance to see it today, you've always got that. I had an incredible time at the game, it was such a fun atmosphere. All the incredible players that I never dreamed I would get the chance to see play, it was insane, but the biggest highlight for me was seeing Sundin lace 'em up again. What an awesome player he was, I'm very happy I got the chance to cheer him on at the ACC one more time.

Last edited by IBeL13f: 11-11-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Used 'incredible' one too many times
IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Incognito

Sundin is a Leafs legend and the people who are still on his case need to stop. He didn't do anything wrong - he didn't want to give up on the team because we were still within a few points of a playoff spot, and after 13 seasons of loyal service, the way Fletcher was trying to pawn him off was frankly pretty despicable. You never saw Avalanche management try to dump Sakic off for a couple first rounders at the end of his career, nor did Detroit try to ship Lidstrom out once he turned 40. All Sundin wanted was the same loyalty back that he had shown the team for over a decade, and the fact that we never won the Cup says more about management's inability to build a consistently strong team around him than it does about Sundin himself. He never wanted to leave Toronto, but Fletcher tried to force him out, then Burke essentially gave him the "thanks, but no thanks" come free agency. This is a man who did and still does bleed blue and white, and any fans who are truly of the same ilk would be able to recognize that.

I for one look forward to seeing the Leafs honour Sundin's very deserving HHoF induction, whenever hockey actually happens to resume.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
They said at the game that it will air on TSN tomorrow night, so if you didn't get a chance to see it today, you've always got that. I had an incredible time at the game, it was such a fun atmosphere. All the incredible players that I never dreamed I would get the chance to see play, it was insane, but the biggest highlight for me was seeing Sundin lace 'em up again. What an awesome player he was, I'm very happy I got the chance to cheer him on at the ACC one more time.
Likewise. I had a blast. Seeing Sundin not only in the blue and white again, but playing with Roberts and Tucker was great to see again.

Paul Coffey though, man the guy still has the vision and poise.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post

No, he used a clause in his contract the organization gave him.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Hockeygirl81

Quote:
I was at the game too and had a great time...it was really surreal seeing all those Leaf greats on the ice at the same time. I had goosebumps when Sundin skated onto the ice lol

Hockeygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:42 AM
ecotone

Quote:

Thanks! looks like it will be on TSN2 after the induction. Sounds like it was awesome!

ecotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:50 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Mats Sundin for Eric Lindros trade rumour from the past

to: Philly
Mats Sundin

to: Toronto
Eric Lindros

Was this a rumour that circulated years ago? Like sometime around 2000?

Did anyone ever hear this back then?

If it's true it would have been the fleecing of the century.

This thread is to honour Mats. Trading Sundin for Lindros would have been a huge mistake. We miss you Mats. We took you for granted in Toronto. We will never do that again.

Congrats on the HHOF!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

a) No, you just made it up.

b) Already a Sundin thread

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Raging Bull

I've never heard that rumor ever.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
to: Philly
Mats Sundin

to: Toronto
Eric Lindros

Was this a rumour that circulated years ago? Like sometime around 2000?

Did anyone ever hear this back then?

If it's true it would have been the fleecing of the century.

This thread is to honour Mats. Trading Sundin for Lindros would have been a huge mistake. We miss you Mats. We took you for granted in Toronto. We will never do that again.

Congrats on the HHOF!
Quick search only comes up here ...

However, there was a close deal for Antropov, Markov and a 1st. for Lindros. I think Clarke wanted Kaberle instead of Markov.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote