HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jamie Benn is Shy

Old
11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
sawchuk1971

vCash: 500
Jamie Benn is Shy

don't know if this was talked about in other threads..(mod)

just bought the THN 2012-13 yearbook recently.....

read an article about jamie benn and i saw a comment by him that was disturbing...

here is the quote from the montreal gazette..

Quote:
Adam Proteau wrote a feature story on Benn in The Hockey News Yearbook under the headline “Stardom Awaits” and Benn explained why he loves playing in Dallas.

“The All-Star Game was pretty busy with the media and that’s something you have to get used to as an NHL player,” Benn told Proteau. “I’m feeling more and more comfortable around it. For me, I just like lying in the weeds and Dallas is great for me in that way. We only have three or four (reporters) in the room every day, so being at the All-Star Game definitely made me want to stay in Dallas and stay as far away from Canada as possible.”
don't know if benn's comment was sarcastic/poking fun, or he really meant it....

if its the ladder, i can see why fans are anti-player in this lockout.........

if you have a player who refuses to play in canadian markets because his privacy might be compromised or can't deal media pressure, then players like him should be disrespcted....

benn is the example of the modern prima donna, diva like hockey player.... always wanting to dictate what teams to play for, mostly in US markets, when they waive their no-trade clause..

they're too soft to handle media pressure and refuses to be accountable to the media when his play on the ice begins to suck....

i think joe nieuwendyk probably had a great influence on benn, that playing in a canadian market is considered with some disdain... .....remember the salary dispute nieuwendyk had with the flames? he dearly wanted to get out of calgary....

it kinda sucks that the players want us to support them in this lockout, but at the same time refuses to play in a canadian market because the media there is too oppressive....or any trivial reasons to avoid them...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:27 AM
wedge

I've read it and it's been discussed already. Concensus was that Benn was a shy person who didn't like the spotlight. There's nothing about prima donna, in fact it's quite the opposite.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:29 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
I think you're overreacting a fair amount. All he said is that he likes playing in a smaller market because you don't get bugged by the media as much. I'd be willing to bet he's not the only player that feels that way.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
RANDOMH3RO

He doesn't enjoy the spotlight and added pressure. What do you want from him?

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:32 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Somebody Canadian got offended by the comment...

The entire article is about how shy Benn is and how he's adjusting to stardom. It has nothing to do with wanting to dictate where he plays and being a prima dona; it has to do with him owning up to being an extremely shy individual who likes the 'small market' feel of the team he currently plays for. I can't think of a bigger non-issue.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:32 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Some people like being the center of attention wherever they go, some enjoy being able to go out and have a bit of anonymity or limited fanfare when they're out on the town or not have every thing they say and do analyzed to the most minute detail by the media. Nothing wrong with either.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I've read it and it's been discussed already. Concensus was that Benn was a shy person who didn't like the spotlight. There's nothing about prima donna, in fact it's quite the opposite.
okay...

i did not know he was shy....

too bad the THN did not mention his shyness....

Old
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Stars need to trade this guy before his head explodes

What's the problem, he likes being low-key...

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
too bad the THN did not mention his shyness....
Seems pretty obvious from the quote that you posted in the first post.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paradise
Individual thinker

Poor Canada

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

What? A player who prefers to be in a market with less media attention/pressure is a prima donna? Benn's about as humble and shy as you can get. You can point to plenty other players in the league who are like that, especially European ones.

Canadian sportspeople in general (Not all but many) do not like the spotlight, aren't used to it and would rather be quiet.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Ari91

I understand that he may be shy and doesn't like to be in the spotlight but those are a poor choice of words on his part. If I were to guess, I think being born and raised in a country where hockey is considered part of national culture would be a huge influence in his love and desire to play the game. Not wanting to be under the media microscope is understandable, after all, you don't have to be one particular kind of personality to play hockey. I don't think he's a primadonna because he doesn't like to be in the spotlight...in fact, I would think that's the opposite of a primadonna. His desire to play in a small market doesn't seem to be driven from ego and a 'I want what I want and get what I want' attitude. A small market simply suits his personality. Not a big deal, but again, just a poor choice of words on his part. There were better ways of making his point but I don't think it's worth getting worked up over - he didn't mean it as an insult to Canada, its fans or its teams.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Trap Jesus

I understand his comments but he should definitely have phrased that better. You shouldn't come outright and say that, even if it is obvious.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Banana Sandwiches

I'm shocked that a hockey player would only want to be recognized at the rink instead of being recognized everywhere he goes like the grocery store, a restaurant, etc.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I would love to be rich, I would hate to be famous.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Yea, I'm with everyone else in this thread OP, you clearly misinterpreted what was being said and decided to feel very angry about it. The article seems pretty clearly about how Jamie Benn is a shy person who is not used to getting a ton of media attention, as his stardom grows so too does the attention. As a result, Benn prefers it in the smaller markets where he only has to deal with a few media members, as opposed to a boatload of people asking him what he had for lunch (exaggerating, I know, but big hockey markets have a ton of reporters and they ask some really dumb questions sometimes).

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:40 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I would love to be rich, I would hate to be famous.
So true. Often they go hand in hand, but if you have the chance to avoid the latter by own choice then why not?

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Stansfield*

First of all, it's written by Proteau.

Secondly, why vilify a guy for being shy?

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Human
cynic

you got the prima donna thing the other way around. a prima donna loves to be in the spotlight, especially when things are going their way, kind of like Ovechkin.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:43 AM
NEWFowler
hi

Lots of players are shy and don't like the media. It's not a big deal, but he definitely should of phrased that better. Sounds bad.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
This.

If you watch the All-star draft, you could tell how nervous he was. He did not want to be up there at all.

He is an introvert, not a prima donna.

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Doctor No
Retired

I changed the thread title for accuracy.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I understand that he may be shy and doesn't like to be in the spotlight but those are a poor choice of words on his part. If I were to guess, I think being born and raised in a country where hockey is considered part of national culture would be a huge influence in his love and desire to play the game. Not wanting to be under the media microscope is understandable, after all, you don't have to be one particular kind of personality to play hockey. I don't think he's a primadonna because he doesn't like to be in the spotlight...in fact, I would think that's the opposite of a primadonna. His desire to play in a small market doesn't seem to be driven from ego and a 'I want what I want and get what I want' attitude. A small market simply suits his personality. Not a big deal, but again, just a poor choice of words on his part. There were better ways of making his point but I don't think it's worth getting worked up over - he didn't mean it as an insult to Canada, its fans or its teams.
I think this post is why he's avoiding playing in Canada, tbqh. An obvious innocuous comment but people are latching on to strings of logic that he's against Canada because he'd prefer to play in Dallas and would prefer to avoid the pressure by not playing for a Canadian team. The fact that people are getting worked up because he didn't phrase that exactly right proves his point.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:50 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I understand his comments but he should definitely have phrased that better. You shouldn't come outright and say that, even if it is obvious.
I personally appreciate getting an honest response from a player as opposed to a diplomatic/coached one.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I think this post is why he's avoiding playing in Canada, tbqh. An obvious innocuous comment but people are latching on to strings of logic that he's against Canada because he'd prefer to play in Dallas and would prefer to avoid the pressure by not playing for a Canadian team. The fact that people are getting worked up because he didn't phrase that exactly right proves his point.
that is why i asked if this comment was sarcastic/poking fun or did he mean it..

i guess from the response on this thread its the former, not the ladder....