HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

[MIA / TOR] Big Blockbuster (Reyes, Johnson, Buerhle to TOR)

Old
11-13-2012, 07:21 PM
GIN ANTONIC

vCash: 500
I just have to ask Alex Anthopoulos one thing about this deal...

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Marlins' homegrown stars that were traded way before they turned 30:

Livan Hernandez
Edgar Renteria
Josh Beckett
Dontrelle Willis
Miguel Cabrera
Hanley Ramirez
Josh Johnson

Don't forget that they also lost Johan Santana and Adrian Gonzalez when they were young prospects.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Toronto Rock say "please acknowledge us!"
Argos are a win away from the Grey Cup as well.

But neither really qualify as "major" pro sporting achievements, IMO. Just doesn't have the same significance as, say, a World Series or Stanley Cup win. And in that respect, Toronto's been very sorely lacking for quite a while, lol

11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Kershaw

I have zero sympathy for the Marlins based on the fact that they still have 2 WS titles.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Batting Stance Guy ‏@BattingStanceG

"We've built up so much goodwill in Miami w/Greenberg signing, no one will notice this trade." -J Loria thoughts
https://twitter.com/BattingStanceG/s...07658909278208

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
BluesOne31
We going insane

"They just wanted to build their team around the superstar that is my son, Colby." - Tony Rasmus

BluesOne31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, I just went from going to ten games a year to an undoubted season ticket holder...

How many are there like me? Only time and Alex Anthopoulos will tell...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:28 PM
sabresfan129103

wow, if I'm a Marlins fan I'm pissed. With the new Bisons-Blue Jays agreement it made me a Jays fan by default, so I'm happy.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
The Marlins are such a joke.
This sums up my thoughts

I remember back in mid 90's when the Marlins actually had a fanbase and hope

Outside of 2003 it has been bleak existance for there fans dealing with the ownership they have

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 11-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Marlins' homegrown stars that were traded way before they turned 30:

Livan Hernandez
Edgar Renteria
Josh Beckett
Dontrelle Willis
Miguel Cabrera
Hanley Ramirez
Josh Johnson

Don't forget that they also lost Johan Santana and Adrian Gonzalez when they were young prospects.
Hernandez and Ramirez were not home grown. Hernandez was a cuban defector, and Ramirez was developed by the Red Sox.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
I actually know a few...boy, are they PISSED! I can't decide if they're justified or if their suckers for being pawns in Loria's game all these years.
Another Marlins fan checking in.......one who had a 20 game season ticket plan last season. Words cannot describe the disgust I am feeling right now. Rest assured I will not be renewing. I'll go to a Saturday night game here and there just because I love the game. Here is a link to a Marlins message board I visit so you can all see how disgusted the fanbase is:

http://forums.marlinsbaseball.com/to...io-to-toronto/

I have defended Loria over the years, mainly because of the 2003 championship and because he got us the ballpark we desperately needed (and its NOT local taxpayers paying for it.....its all tied to tourist taxes), but I'm done. Rest assured we will lose Stanton over this. I can't see any free agent with an IQ over 50 wanting to come here anymore.

Jays fans......what can you tell me about these prospects? I hear most are top line, but are they good enough to get us in contention in the next couple years?

Oh & IX......you officially have my permission to post pictures every night come April of what will certainly be a near empty Marlins Park. I can't believe how embarrassed I feel right now to be a Marlins fan

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Selig could reject deal but might not do it

Will be interesting to see what he does. His decision will come later tonight. He doesn't seem like a jerk like Stern.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:34 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
You're way nicer than I would be PanthersPens. I would not give Loria a dime of my money.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Another Marlins fan checking in.......one who had a 20 game season ticket plan last season. Words cannot describe the disgust I am feeling right now. Rest assured I will not be renewing. I'll go to a Saturday night game here and there just because I love the game. Here is a link to a Marlins message board I visit so you can all see how disgusted the fanbase is:

I have defended Loria over the years, mainly because of the 2003 championship and because he got us the ballpark we desperately needed (and its NOT local taxpayers paying for it.....its all tied to tourist taxes), but I'm done. Rest assured we will lose Stanton over this. I can't see any free agent with an IQ over 50 wanting to come here anymore.

Jays fans......what can you tell me about these prospects? I hear most are top line, but are they good enough to get us in contention in the next couple years?

Oh & IX......you officially have my permission to post pictures every night come April of what will certainly be a near empty Marlins Park. I can't believe how embarrassed I feel right now to be a Marlins fan
Jays fan here, you got our #4,5,6 prospects depending on who you ask. Oh and you also took our least favourite player in Escobar, but hopefully there won't be as much confusion about homophobic slurs in a place where Spanish is popular.

Batter's Box is considered one of the best Jays websites, you'll find your three prospects there:

Quote:
Hechavarria hopes to celebrate his 24th birthday April 15 by wearing a Jays uniform. That will depend on whether Escobar remains with the club along with any other off-season developments. The Jays would probably like to send Hechavarria back to Triple-A for a little more seasoning and see how he will fare in the more normalized hitting environment of Buffalo.
Quote:
The lefty among the Lansing "Big 3", Nicolino is also widely considered to be the most polished and advanced of the three (though not the one with the highest ceiling). Ask a scout about Nicolino and it's not unusual to hear the name "Tom Glavine" mentioned, ask a Jays fan and the Jimmy Key comparisons come easily. The 6'3" Nicolino brings a fastball with plus movement and command and improving velocity (registering in the low 90's regularly with the potential for a tic or two more) as a compliment to a top-shelf change-up. He's working on a curve which has shown significant improvement. Like his rotation mates covered in this list, he's a lock to open 2013 in Dunedin, and of the three has a half-step (at least) lead in the race to be the first to AA.
Quote:
Jake Marisnick came into 2012 as one of the Jays top prospects and he is still considered a top prospect even after a challenging 2012. Marisnick started the season in Dunedin where he posted a wRC+ of 127 in the difficult hitting environment of the Florida State League. Marisnick was promoted to AA mid-season where his numbers fell off. Marisnick did not hit well, did not walk and did not hit for much power. He did not strike out a lot (20%) but he did not get good wood on the ball. The Jays said at the end of the season that they were working to make some changes to his swing. He was assigned to the Arizona Fall League to get him more at-bats against better pitching.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:

Well Swisher is still available then...

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
@Buster_ESPN
Karl Ravech is reporting there is some money adjustment, dollars going from MIA to TOR -- not a lot -- in this deal.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:38 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Condolences to all 14 Marlins fans.

Meanwhile, John Farrell is like "Ohhhhhhhh..... **** YOU JAYS!"

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
I actually know a few...boy, are they PISSED! I can't decide if they're justified or if their suckers for being pawns in Loria's game all these years.
Suckers, sadly.

Loria has an always will be a criminal.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Hernandez and Ramirez were not home grown. Hernandez was a cuban defector, and Ramirez was developed by the Red Sox.
Meh. Livan was 21 when he signed with the Marlins. It's almost the same as a college player who was drafted at the same age. And yeah, you are correct about Hanley. But he still won the rookie of the year award as a Marlin, meaning he really started his Major League career as a Marlin (even though he was a September call-up with the Red Sox in 2005). Livan and Hanley were still unproven young prospects when they became Marlins.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Quote:

You got some solid prospects and the only reason the Jays probably felt comfortable dealing Marisnick and Nicolino is because Centerfield (Gose and Rasmus) and Pitchers (Sanchez, Syndergaard, Norris, Stroman) are the two best positions we have in terms of prospects/young players and that's a huge reason why I love this trade so much. The fact that we didn't give up d'Arnaud/Sanchez/Syndergaard/Gose has me pumped. I think Nicolino has the potential to be an extremely good #3/solid #2 and Marisnick of course has the potential to be a everyday lead off centerfielder. Good speed, good defence, and decent power.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

No chance Selig rejects this deal. He might have the power to do it but he won't.

As usual, Buster Olney was about an hour late on this deal and now he just keeps tweeting stupid ****. Other people are picking up on it and now wondering if Selig will actually approve this deal. It's always a good idea to just ignore what Olney says.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
No chance Selig rejects this deal. He might have the power to do it but he won't.

As usual, Buster Olney was about an hour late on this deal and now he just keeps tweeting stupid ****. Other people are picking up on it and now wondering if Selig will actually approve this deal. It's always a good idea to just ignore what Olney says.
Someone is mad.

Olney is a good baseball source.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I hope the Yankees don't respond with something stupid and make another trade like they did last offseason.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Muh
Beadle

Just hear about this, wow, I love it.

For one, I hate the Marlins organization. Also, this makes for an amazing AL East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Giancarlo Stanton ‏@Giancarlo818
Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple

FA after 2016 season.
Was this twitter, or whatever you call it, real?

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Giancarlo Stanton ‏@Giancarlo818
Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple

FA after 2016 season.
Why wait ,, Marlins should get him out of there