HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll about the future NHL team in Toronto/ Markham

View Poll Results: Would you buy season tickets for the whatever other team will be in the city?
Hell Yeah! 24 30.38%
No Way! 55 69.62%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Poll about the future NHL team in Toronto/ Markham

Question is simple, but it's directed at the dieheart Leaf fans. If an announcement came down tomorrow that there will be another team in Toronto/ Markham, and the season tickets are on sale, would you buy the season tickets for the whatever other team will be in the city?

Anthrax442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:42 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
It's not a simple yes or no when you don't know what they will cost.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It's not a simple yes or no when you don't know what they will cost.
They will cost pretty much the same as the Leafs tickets. (Toronto market value)

Anthrax442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:17 PM
headwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
They will cost pretty much the same as the Leafs tickets. (Toronto market value)
I disagree that the market value for a new team in Markham would be the same as the Leafs. Market value would be certainly be higher than other start up locations as there is already a market for hockey in the GTA, but I seriously doubt that they'd be able to get away with charging the same prices as MLSE for season tickets.

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Why direct this question to diehard leaf fans? Kinda redundant, no?
But the majority of posters can't afford season tix anyways so that's another layer of redundancy.

BUT, I'd buy a ticket to a leafs game there.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

should have had these as choices. And diehards wouldn't so should just say leaffans.
Dont have the money
Depends on price

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

No, because I don't live in Toronto.

11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Stats01

I don't care how much they cost, could be 2 bucks for all I care, I'm not buying season tickets to a team that I'm going to naturally hate being a Leaf fan.

Real Leaf fans know what I'm talking about. If you're a Leaf fan and you're buying season tickets to a natural rival then you should be labelled a bandwagoner.

It would be like a Rangers fan buying season tickets to watch the Islanders or the Devils. The people in Markham should and will buy season tickets

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
according to ESPN, the average NHL price across the board is $57 Leafs average price is $123 Edmonton has the 4th highest ticket at $70 so if it was around 70 which makes sense based on the numbers I would go to a game or two

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
No, because I don't live in Toronto.
Same, but even if I did my answer is no.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:10 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

i said no. But it would really matter in the next couple years, if the Leafs dont become respectable then would have to re-evaluate.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:59 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

No because I wouldn't be able to afford them.

Would I watch them on TV and cheer for them? Yes. Leafs would remain my #1 though obviously.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:00 PM
416Leafer

The way I see it, is that UNTIL a new team does arrive, nobody is going to admit that they would switch allegiences. Why risk getting painted as a non-loyal fan for saying support for some hypothetical future franchise?

I'm not from Toronto. I actually currently live here (been here 1 year), but grew up in Ottawa. I've been a Leafs fan since I was ~4 years old. I don't think I will end up settling down in the GTA, I will likely move back to Ottawa.

But for those people who DO live in the GTA, especially in the York/Markham/Vaughn/etc region. I could see reasons for switching teams.
1 - It's a business. The Toronto Maple Leafs are part of a mega-corporation. They don't really care about their fans, they care about their fans money. Nostalgia and historic moments? Those are products they use to help sell the team to the fans.
2 - Ease of access to the new arena. You want to get all the way downtown and back? Or to an arena a reasonably short drive away in the suburbs? It would be your "local" team.
3 - Cost of tickets / accessibility of tickets. I'm sure the tickets would still be pricey, but not AS pricey as Leaf tickets. They would also have seasons tickets for sale, which there's a ridiculous waiting list for right now for the Leafs
4 - If you have small kids. Maybe they grow up as Markham fans, so you consider switching loyalty for them.
5 - Toronto has sucked for years. Maybe the team that moves into Markham is a relocation team that's already a playoff team? Has more players you like? Etc

There are probably a few other reasons. But I have two main points:
1 - I won't switch allegiances, because most of the points I made refer to direct benefits you would get from being somebody living in the GTA. I plan on moving away within ~1-3 years, so it shouldn't apply to me.
2 - Nobody is going to admit at the moment that they would switch allegiances. But people obviously will, there's no question about that. I think most people would stay Leafs fans, but a new GTA team WOULD get fans, and probably a pretty strong following (relatively speaking to the rest of the league, not compared to the Leafs).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
I say Yes to having another team in/near T.O! What not a better way to light a fire under MLSE's and Burke's !@@ then to have another Canadian team campaign for the cup. Also a new arena and new team means more jobs and makes Gary Bettman even angrier. Hell we need a team in Manitoba and Nova Scotia, oh and Saskatchewan. Oh and another team in Montreal. The more Canadian teams, the better.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Donmega

Depends on 2 things. The price of the pass and the roster / team that is moved. If it the cost would be leafs high then no way either way.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Aplayaz2000

supporting two teams equally is just weird

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:33 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Pretty much, only difference is the black market for Maple Leafs tickets will be hurt and I'm all for that!

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I lived in a city which had an expansion team. I loved to laugh at them, but I never really cared
about them. 20 years later I hate them, and love that never really did much, but I believe that I'll
feel this way about the new team, and I think many Leaf fans will feel the same way.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i said no. But it would really matter in the next couple years, if the Leafs dont become respectable then would have to re-evaluate.
Bandwagoner ^

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:18 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

So we're supposed to answer this question without knowing the roster of this team; or the price of the tickets?

Sorry, you can't just say they would cost the same as Leafs tickets. That makes no sense.

This thread has no merit or purpose. You should think it through a little more next time.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

As an expansion team, they would already be about as good as Burke's team after an entire four year rebuild.
So yeah...
I would definitely go to some games.

I'm a fan of nhl hockey. It's probably going to be easier to get tickets there... so why not?

It would also create a very entertaining rivalry.\
How much of the crowd would be wearing leaf jersey's at every game? Probably most. Even after years and years...

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:55 AM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

There's enough traffic in Markham as it is.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Urban Explorer*

I don't know why everyone thinks Markham is a good location? It's the 2nd smallest area population wise in the GTA. It's too far east. Most people are Asian immigrants who don't even watch hockey. There's way more people and hockey fans in the Mississauga, Brampton area, and probably even more in Hamilton. Markham has horrible access via highways with virtually only one highway (404) going any where near it. Sure there's the 407, but who want's to have to pay those highway robbers.

I think Hamilton is the best option weighing in ease of highway access and fan base.

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

The new arena would be a 10-15 minute drive from my house.

I wouldn't buy season tickets because I bleed blue and white but I would definitely cheer for the team.

Anyone know if a new NHL team in Markham would raise real estate prices?

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:08 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
I don't know why everyone thinks Markham is a good location? It's the 2nd smallest area population wise in the GTA. It's too far east. Most people are Asian immigrants who don't even watch hockey. There's way more people and hockey fans in the Mississauga, Brampton area, and probably even more in Hamilton. Markham has horrible access via highways with virtually only one highway (404) going any where near it. Sure there's the 407, but who want's to have to pay those highway robbers.

I think Hamilton is the best option weighing in ease of highway access and fan base.
My opinion is that you could add another team to the central GTA (Markham) and another to Hamilton and both would be viable.

Hamilton can draw from Burlington, Niagara, St. Catherines, Brantfors, K-W, Guelph, etc. thats a larger population to draw from then what Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton have.

Markham can draw from Scarborough, Brampton, Mississauaga, Vaughn, Ajax, etc. Markham is a little East, but if you add Hamilton then that covers a lot of the Western areas.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote