HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Disagree. There is value in him. I mean Loup is only going to be on the roster as a LOOGY (righties will eventually figure him out) and if you can get Cecil in that same role and he can do well, why get rid of him? At worst, you get a mop up man.

He could barely hit 90 as a starter but sat 91-93 as a reliever. Jays bullpen should be good enough that he is the 6-7th best option in the pen which is perfectly fine. Unless Oliver retires, Loup is most likely the man that gets pushed out.
And I disagree as well haha. The off-season just began, there is still plenty of moves to happen, if AA picked up another starter, that would push Happ to the pen which complicates things even more.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Disagree. There is value in him. I mean Loup is only going to be on the roster as a LOOGY (righties will eventually figure him out) and if you can get Cecil in that same role and he can do well, why get rid of him? At worst, you get a mop up man.

He could barely hit 90 as a starter but sat 91-93 as a reliever. Jays bullpen should be good enough that he is the 6-7th best option in the pen which is perfectly fine. Unless Oliver retires, Loup is most likely the man that gets pushed out.
Brett Cecil, 2012 fastball values:

Starter: -3.5 (88.5 mph) (50.1 IP) (4.32 SIERA)
Reliever: -1.1 (91.0 mph) (11.0 IP) (3.89 SIERA)

Old
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
And I disagree as well haha. The off-season just began, there is still plenty of moves to happen, if AA picked up another starter, that would push Happ to the pen which complicates things even more.
Sure, then I would be fine with that (you could find a place to dump Cecil if that happens). Hard to see them spending much more than they already have. They may make a cheap signing or two but I don't think they have the room to add much more.

Would love to see that though.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
BeLeafer11

I was so pumped at the beginning of last season... followed by a decreasing interest as the season went on.

It was nice to see the attendance jump last year but I was really worried that people wouldn't be coming back next season for the same reasons I started losing interest.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. Receiving tons of txt messages from friends and family who I would consider casual fans at most. Everyone is excited about baseball.... in November. So pumped again... and I think Rogers / AA did a brilliant job of getting the city and fan base excited for next season.

Very happy Jays fan this morning!!!

Old
11-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Cool Hand Luke

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/11/...-marlins-trade

Quote:
When Buehrle moved to Florida, he had to live outside of Miami-Dade County due to its ban on pit bulls. When voters decided to preserve the 13-year-old breed-specific ban, he made his displeasure known ... If he thought a 45-minute commute to the ballpark was inconvenient, it'll be interesting to see how he handles Ontario's 22-year-old pit bull ban. At that point, his nearest pitbull-friendly option is Buffalo, which is two hours away.
Should we send him back to Chicago? Buehrle + prospect for Garza?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:13 AM
BlueForever

First off I want to say, Thank you Miami.

This trade is remarkable from a Toronto perspective. It gives us the much needed addtions to our rotation that we needed, and provides us with an upgrade at SS and the leadoff spot. With all this being said, I would temper your expectations that Blue Jays have all their pieces and are done. In acquirring Buck and Wilson prior to this trade, the Jays have 2 possible starting catchers. They still have some holes they can possibly fill either via trade or free agency.

If the Jays can peddle JPA along with another young desireable pitcher for a quality LF or 2B I would do it in a heartbeat. Rumor has it that the Jays are still in talks with Arizona for Upton. If this is true you can all kiss Gose and D'Anraud good bye. They will definitely be a part of deal like that. Either way I think the Jays are one more piece away from seriously contending not only for the East but an eventual World Series. If you can get one of the below names some how, we win it all:

OF - One of the Upton brothers
2B - Phillips
1B - Swisher
2B - Scutaro

Old
11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Leo Getz

Really hope Romero gets it together, and the Jays can stay healthy this year. It is kind of refreshing to trade some prospects for immediate help. You can't just keep stockpiling prospects and missing the playoffs, part of the reason you have a deep farm system is to make trade like this. Certainly isn't a deal where AA is just throwing away prospects.

Certainly one of the more exciting times to be a Jays fan in recent memories. Owner/GM show they are committed to spending to make the team better, still have a deep farm system and a high pick coming up next year.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:26 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/11/...-marlins-trade

Should we send him back to Chicago? Buehrle + prospect for Garza?
Someone buy this man a new dog.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:32 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Haha, you don't have a dog yourself, do you?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
paulster2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Just rolling through the thread from when I signed off last night to this morning. I see a lot of "we's" out of people I've never seen in this thread before lol. Ah, the bandwagon; the casual fans favorite mode of transportation.
You are more important than me because you pay more attention to baseball than I do.

Is that what you want to hear bruh?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
KlattNazty

Where will the jays be picking this coming year? And what players are available to fill 2b and LF?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Just rolling through the thread from when I signed off last night to this morning. I see a lot of "we's" out of people I've never seen in this thread before lol. Ah, the bandwagon; the casual fans favorite mode of transportation.
Casual fans are exactly who are going to start going to the games, and who are going to start spending money now, giving ownership a better chance at sustaining this type of level of payroll.

But you're right, screw them.

I absolutely can't stand this condescending **** that posters like yourself spew...guess what "bruh"...we're all simply posters on an online message board. No one works for an MLB team, and not everyone can afford the time and the commitment to live up so some jaded definition of a "fan".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Agree with all of those but I think Bonifascio is an unsung piece of this trade, he replaces Aviles' versatility but adds more youth and more speed, could even be a leadoff guy if injuries come up again. The only problem with him is his defence which really hurts his WAR. I'd platoon him with Davis in LF.

That said, I think we still need a legit power bat. I think positionally we're sound with the new recruits, but I don't think Buck brings enough to DH (I like EE at 1B). But that only happens if Lind and/or JPA are shipped out.

These recruits open up many new avenues for trades, as JPA and others are much more easily moveable for possibly a cheapish 4/5 starter.
I wasn't that familiar with Bonifascio and was under the impression that he was pretty much a utility player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Yeah lol, no kidding

Old
11-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
God forbid a team ever getting more fans...everyone starts out as a band-wagoner at some point.

I openly admit that although I have followed the Jays over the years somewhat, I don't follow baseball religiously due to liking hockey and football better. I and many others got excited by this trade. I apologize on behalf of myself and others for impeding on your sacred baseball thread in a hockey forum trying to get more insight on it and learn more about the Jays.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever View Post
First off I want to say, Thank you Miami.

This trade is remarkable from a Toronto perspective. It gives us the much needed addtions to our rotation that we needed, and provides us with an upgrade at SS and the leadoff spot. With all this being said, I would temper your expectations that Blue Jays have all their pieces and are done. In acquirring Buck and Wilson prior to this trade, the Jays have 2 possible starting catchers. They still have some holes they can possibly fill either via trade or free agency.

If the Jays can peddle JPA along with another young desireable pitcher for a quality LF or 2B I would do it in a heartbeat. Rumor has it that the Jays are still in talks with Arizona for Upton. If this is true you can all kiss Gose and D'Anraud good bye. They will definitely be a part of deal like that. Either way I think the Jays are one more piece away from seriously contending not only for the East but an eventual World Series. If you can get one of the below names some how, we win it all:

OF - One of the Upton brothers
2B - Phillips
1B - Swisher
2B - Scutaro
Fine by me. Upton Rasmus Bautista outfield is beyond stunned

Old
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Casual fans are exactly who are going to start going to the games, and who are going to start spending money now, giving ownership a better chance at sustaining this type of level of payroll.

I absolutely can't stand this condescending **** that posters like yourself spew...guess what "bruh"...we're all simply posters on an online message board. No one works for an MLB team, and not everyone can afford the time and the commitment to live up so some jaded definition of a "fan".
You know what, I apologize. You're right. My comments were off-base, and rude. The casual fans have done nothing wrong, and their excitement is great for the franchise. That's my bad. Genuinely, sorry to all those fans.

As for you, why don't you call into Jays talk and complain about how Rogers won't spend money, how AA is crap, and Riccardi should be brought back. This, of course, after you finish your plate of crow.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
God forbid a team ever getting more fans...everyone starts out as a band-wagoner at some point.

I openly admit that although I have followed the Jays over the years somewhat, I don't follow baseball religiously due to liking hockey and football better. I and many others got excited by this trade. I apologize on behalf of myself and others for impeding on your sacred baseball thread in a hockey forum trying to get more insight on it and learn more about the Jays.
I am sorry for my comments. I have no problem with you. My frustration stems more from those individuals who have been putting down AA, claiming he doesn't spend money, and have stated baseless claims about his unwillingness to improve the team. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:

A fair point. But you go through this every time a team becomes "flavour of the month" - long-time fans and contributors to communities like this are bound to resent all the casual fans coming out of the woodwork, because they haven't shared the bond that going through the tough times with a group creates. Allow them a day or two of snarky comments - call it hazing for the new guys - but then everyone should get back to focusing on baseball, and not so much on people's post count.

Quote:
I wasn't that familiar with Bonifascio and was under the impression that he was pretty much a utility player.
He has the immense versatility you look for in a super-utility, but his offence is plenty good enough to be an everyday player. His defensive shortcomings will be less apparent in LF than in the infield, so as things stand today expect him to start there.

That said, the Jays have plenty of time and assets to make another move or two (either through trade or low-end free agency) to add another position player, at which point one of Bonifacio or Izturis may play off the bench.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
I am sorry for my comments. I have no problem with you. My frustration stems more from those individuals who have been putting down AA, claiming he doesn't spend money, and have stated baseless claims about his unwillingness to improve the team. I'm sorry if I offended you.
I understand the frustration haha. I found myself becoming one of those AA people too. I was giving him this offseason to change to make me become a believer in him again and he just did it haha.

I liked what he had done to the organization in the past, he got some amazing prospects and had some core players but I was starting to think he wasn't able to take this team to the upper echelon of the league which is what is needed to compete in the AL East. Jays had all these prospects but nothing was being done with them. Super excited he finally pulled the trigger (if you can even call this pulling the trigger given how many prospects the jays still have left). AA just found put himself on another level and any doubts I was beginning to have are gone.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
You know what, I apologize. You're right. My comments were off-base, and rude. The casual fans have done nothing wrong, and their excitement is great for the franchise. That's my bad. Genuinely, sorry to all those fans.

As for you, why don't you call into Jays talk and complain about how Rogers won't spend money, how AA is crap, and Riccardi should be brought back. This, of course, after you finish your plate of crow.
I'm pretty sure every single one of us (regular posters) have said we were wrong about AA and Rogers at some point in this thread, or the last one. Well... not including FreeBird but that's another story lol.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I understand the frustration haha. I found myself becoming one of those AA people too. I was giving him this offseason to change to make me become a believer in him again and he just did it haha.

I liked what he had done to the organization in the past, he got some amazing prospects and had some core players but I was starting to think he wasn't able to take this team to the upper echelon of the league which is what is needed to compete in the AL East. Jays had all these prospects but nothing was being done with them. Super excited he finally pulled the trigger (if you can even call this pulling the trigger given how many prospects the jays still have left). AA just found put himself on another level and any doubts I was beginning to have are gone.
This is the part we should all be celebrating.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:10 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
Haha, you don't have a dog yourself, do you?
I do. Love my little fella.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Lol @ the way Jeff Blair and Alan Ashby are talking about Hech. Its like they think he is some superstar SS prospect.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:

I don't owe you or anyone ANYTHING, understand that right away. I had opinions, and it turns out I was wrong...big f-ing deal. What do you want me to do, parade around Rogers Centre with a sign saying "Sorry Rogers, I was wrong, hope you'll forgive me".

Secondly, I have admitted that I was wrong about AA and Rogers. Considering how often you and the other "real" Blue Jays fans patrol these threads, I assume you would have read it...I guess not?

Forgive me for being a pessimistic Toronto sports fan. I haven't seen a playoff team (I don't care about the Raptors) since I was in grade freaking 8. I'm almost done my undergrad now. Do you not understand why I would be pessimistic about the Jays chances at making the playoffs, or acquiring big name players? FYI, they still haven't made the playoffs yet.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Well they are saying our mid infield suffered defensively? My question is if we get 2 switch hitters with a lot of speed off the top of the lineup in these 2 guys, how many games thes will win for us vs how many they will lose?

Old
11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Lol @ the way Jeff Blair and Alan Ashby are talking about Hech. Its like they think he is some superstar SS prospect.
He's definitely got potential.

Closed Thread