HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
What happened to Izturis?
Bench player.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
AndMat*

His Agent also said That AA was not done and would send one of the players he got from this trade to he NYY. Listen to the Interview
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/11/...th_jeff_blair/

This is from MLB Trade Rumors
MLB hasn't received official documentation for the trade, Yahoo's Tim Brown reports (on Twitter). The cash headed to Toronto could be at least double the $4MM initially reported, according to Brown.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/toront...evg8kTTfHMl.99

Old
11-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Good post, I think you are mostly right. If anything, I let my emotions get in the way of an objective analysis. (This is what they teach me NOT to do in school lol). I am the type of person that wears my heart on my sleeve and am pretty passionate. Kudos to you for being a lot more calculating, objective, and for always replying to posts with fairly patient and well thought out answers. It is appreciated.
Fairly said, thanks. If it helps, I come by my dispassionate objectivity the hard way.

I've been a GM in a keeper NHL league for 15 years. Same league (still going strong!), and all but the first two seasons with the same team. We do a full draft, full free agency, the works. Crazy, I know.

Anyway, that's a long time to be managing a team - even if it is just a fantasy team - and it's forced me to learn to take the long view and make objective decisions... Because virtually every time I have made a short-term decision or allowed my emotions to dictate my actions, it's come back to bite me in the butt.

It's not as good as having come up through a pro sports organization and leaned the ropes from the inside, but it has definitely helped me learn to keep my head a little better. (Even then, I'm still too impatient when it comes to my own team, as the long list of great young players I've drafted and subsequently dealt can attest...).

Old
11-14-2012, 01:24 PM
AndMat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
His Agent also said That AA was not done and would send one of the players he got from this trade to he NYY. Listen to the Interview

This is from MLB Trade Rumors
MLB hasn't received official documentation for the trade, Yahoo's Tim Brown reports (on Twitter). The cash headed to Toronto could be at least double the $4MM initially reported, according to Brown.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/toront...evg8kTTfHMl.99
The Player his Agent is talking about is JJ Who else could he be talking about?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he is speculating that the Jays are not done because AA is always exploring options and he (AA) knows that Josh Johnson is a hot commodity that could rack in King's ransom. Doesn't necessarily mean NYY

Old
11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
TieClark

Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
Matt Sosnick, JJ's agent: Hes thrilled, hes really excited. He told me, I really feel like we have a good chance of winning the AL.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
AndMat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
I'm pretty sure he is speculating that the Jays are not done because AA is always exploring options and he (AA) knows that Josh Johnson is a hot commodity that could rack in King's ransom. Doesn't necessarily mean NYY
Who knows what he means.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
What in the world are you talking about?

Although the skydome by itself is a little outdated. The addition of the scenic CN tower hovering above you while sitting in the stands in pretty amazing. I think some people are forgetting what we have.

looks amazing to me, a lot of cities would kill for that imo.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Who knows what he means.
Honestly, everything he's saying is pretty literal. There's no doublespeak or ambiguity in what JJ's agent is saying. Teams like NYY and Tex were itching to make a deal with the Marlins at the trade deadline for Johnson, and now that the Jays acquired him, they're going to be asking AA about whether he can be flipped to them. AA always explores other options to see if he can improve the organization, and if he sees a kings ransom for JJ, he's not afraid to pull the trigger.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
First, talking to yourself is never a good sign. Second, he didn't say his client wants out, he said other teams are seeking pitching and it's in AA's nature to listen on everyone and inquire on everyone. I doubt he's had any real discussions with AA to know what he's thinking, and is going off of history when he's traded Doc and Marcum for great returns. However, this has been AA's MO since he got here, and I'd say JJ is the least likely of the 3 big pieces we got to be moved.

As for the stadium, as much as we hate it, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. And frankly, as long as we can get some grass in there, I'm fine if it means Rogers keeps putting money into the team rather than a new stadium. Really, all it needs is the grass and a few tweaks, not everything can be done right away, but a 3-5 year makeover would be nice. Blowing out some of the concrete on the exterior and putting windows would be a start. I think, if they're not going to use the windows restaurant, they can get rid of it and put something there that could add to the experience, if not a fountain, then maybe stick with the "Canada's team" branding and put a Canadian baseball walk of fame, similar to the Yankees one. Hell, they could make the jumbotron way bigger while they're at it, just because. Point being, lot of little things can be done to tweak the experience at the RC for the better.

Last edited by Quik: 11-14-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Still can't believe the trade. Absolutely loving the starting rotation and I'm thrilled with Reyes at SS.

Any ideas what our bullpen will look like assuming Darren Oliver doesn't come back?

RP - Steve Delabar
RP - Brad Lincoln
RP - Esmil Rogers
RP - Luis Perez
RP - Aaron Loup
SU - Casey Janssen
CL - Sergio Santos

Look about right?

11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
looks amazing to me, a lot of cities would kill for that imo.
i'd trade the view outside for real grass and quality interior any day

once you go to places like the new yankees stadium, angels, etc. and go back to toronto, it's depressing

Old
11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Still can't believe the trade. Absolutely loving the starting rotation and I'm thrilled with Reyes at SS.

Any ideas what our bullpen will look like assuming Darren Oliver doesn't come back?

RP - Steve Delabar
RP - Brad Lincoln
RP - Esmil Rogers
RP - Luis Perez
RP - Aaron Loup
SU - Casey Janssen
CL - Sergio Santos

Look about right?
0 chance Janssen loses the closer role going into the season. I also doubt Oliver retires at this point now when he has a legitimate chance to win a ring.

Something like:

Delabar
Lincoln
Rogers
Oliver
Santos
CL - Janssen

and then the best guy out of ST

Old
11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
SU - Casey Janssen
CL - Sergio Santos
are we ready to just hand the job back to santos after he crumbled last year? i say he should have to earn it back.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:

RP - Steve Delabar
RP - Brad Lincoln
RP - Esmil Rogers
RP - Luis Perez
RP - Aaron Loup
SU - Casey Janssen
CL - Sergio Santos

Look about right?
Perez underwent TJ I believe? Plus Cecil is out of options so he'd likely be a LOOGY, same with Loup. Rogers can be a middle relief/setup, Lincoln possibly long man/middle relief, Delabar as middle relief/setup, Janssen as the main setup guy and Santos as the closer.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:

RP - Steve Delabar
RP - Brad Lincoln
RP - Esmil Rogers
RP - Luis Perez
RP - Aaron Loup
SU - Casey Janssen
CL - Sergio Santos

Look about right?
IMO

LR) B. Cecil
MR) E. Rogers
MR) B. Lincoln
MR) D. Oliver (A. Loup if he retires)
SU) S. Delabar
SU) S. Santos
CL) C. Janssen

Perez won't be back until August at the earliest.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
are we ready to just hand the job back to santos after he crumbled last year? i say he should have to earn it back.
I thought Janssen was fantastic in the closer role last season, so I definitely see what you're saying. Guess time will tell.

edit: Forgot about Perez undergoing TJ, as well.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:47 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
He was hurt. And there's the old sports maxim that you can't lose your job to injury (Wally Pip/Roger Maris notwithstanding)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
i'd trade the view outside for real grass and quality interior any day

once you go to places like the new yankees stadium, angels, etc. and go back to toronto, it's depressing
It's not AT&T or PNC park, but it at least looks better than Tropicana Field.

Old
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Perez underwent TJ I believe? Plus Cecil is out of options so he'd likely be a LOOGY, same with Loup. Rogers can be a middle relief/setup, Lincoln possibly long man/middle relief, Delabar as middle relief/setup, Janssen as the main setup guy and Santos as the closer.
Right on the money. Rogers, Cecil both out of options. Loup is the only one mentioned there with options left.

Old
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
Matt Sosnick, JJ's agent: Hes thrilled, hes really excited. He told me, I really feel like we have a good chance of winning the AL.
Awesome.

11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Speaking off grass, now that Rogers co-owns Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and its three venues – the Air Canada Centre, the Ricoh Coliseum and BMO Field – couldn’t some of the other events at the dome be diverted to other arms of the business so a natural surface survive a full season?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...ogers_centre_/

It would make sense.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...t-place-finish

Jeffrey Loria defends the trade as a baseball move, and not payroll gutting or a proverbial "burning the house down for the insurance money"

Old
11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
It's not AT&T or PNC park, but it at least looks better than Tropicana Field.
That might be the only stadium as well as Oakland the sky dome is better than.
I've been to 10 ballparks, even small cities like Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh have really nice baseball parks ours is just a bland general use stadium. It can host everything, but designed for nothing.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:05 PM
flames12

Flames fan here I don't follow baseball much but I might after this trade. I have a question what will they do for LF? They need to fill that spot. Also are the jays done? Is there a chance they sign some big free agents?

Closed Thread